Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hyrule Warriors seems fine, it’s just misleading to market it as a Zelda game. Unless there’s exploration and puzzles and dungeons I just haven’t found yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i played a ton of hyrule warriors DE or whatever it’s called. but aoc i didn’t really get into. i don’t know if it’s due to the changes in the formula or if i’ve just had my fill of that stuff

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Loucks posted:

Hyrule Warriors seems fine, it’s just misleading to market it as a Zelda game. Unless there’s exploration and puzzles and dungeons I just haven’t found yet.

The title is "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity." "Warriors" is the name of the series, "Hyrule" indicates that it's Zelda-themed.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, there's nothing Zelda about the 2 Hyrule Warriors games, they're simply musou games with a Zelda dressing. They've also done Fire Emblem and One Piece themed games as well as others I probably don't know about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dynasty Warriors is pretty much a template like kart racing, they've done everything from Nobunaga's Ambition to Gundam. They're pretty good at capturing the charm of a setting and characters but really aren't even bothering to replicate the gameplay much. Just think of it as a spinoff.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Loucks posted:

Just thinking about how bad your day would be ruined if I set you down in front of Cladun X2 or something with all the characters set to Link sprites/named Link and just didn't tell you anything.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Loucks posted:

What else would they market it as though, it's just a spin-off series like Mario Kart is to the Mario platformers.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Hyrule warriors also has the best Zelda arc, and it owns. Link becoming a cocky douche is also great.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Loucks posted:

I’ve given up on BotW2 any time soon, but it would be cool to get the anniversary release of some of the better Zelda games for the switch. I missed almost all of them and refuse to buy an old console just to play them.

I can’t find the tweet, and I know it’s just rumors and all, but the same guy that accurately predicted Mario 3D All-Stars and it’s contents is adamant that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports are coming for a holiday release, for what that’s worth

VaultAggie posted:

Hyrule warriors also has the best Zelda arc, and it owns. Link becoming a cocky douche is also great.

It’s legit probably my favorite story of the franchise, the cutscenes are top notch

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The extremely misleading marketing of the spinoffs that went so far as to exclude "Zelda" from their names entirely.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Walla posted:

Yeah, there's nothing Zelda about the 2 Hyrule Warriors games, they're simply musou games with a Zelda dressing.

There's plenty Zelda about the two Hyrule Warriors games that make them unique and distinct even among other Warriors games, though this might not be immediately obvious to people who don't normally play Warriors games. It's like how a lot of bad reviews of the Dynasty Warriors games say things like "It's just like the last game you mash X a bunch and triangle some" because if you aren't a big fan of the series and don't invest time in it it can be difficult to tell just from doing some levels what's different between entries.

Though yeah at its core they are still more Warriors games than Zelda games, as opposed to Persona 5 Strikers which is more a Persona game with some Warriors dressing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m kinda pissed that they repeatedly and explicitly marketed it as a direct prequel to BOTW when it became obvious less than a minute into the intro that that was not going to be the case. I like the story they came up with anyway, and it’s arguably canon since Nintendo collaborated with them on it, but I wanted to see the Champions die, dammit :mad:

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I just don't know how I could conceivably do it.

I guess it makes confrontations less of a choice. Like you maybe pick a dude to pick off for his bow and move on? How do people take on whole mobs of blue bokoblins with four hearts?

Headshot or bomb enemies to ragdoll them off cliffs or into water, or defeat them with opposing elements, et cetera. At low levels, brute forcing a fight by breaking all of your weapons on one enemy's head is almost always the wrong idea.

Defeat an ice wizzrobe (with a single fire arrow, ideally) to take its ice rod. From that point on, any moblin or bokoblin you see within 200 feet of a body of water is a free kill. Just freeze it and swing a korok leaf at it, and its frozen body will comically slide across the ground like greased lightning, straight into a river or pond. They stay frozen for ages too, so take your time. If they have high level gear and drowning them isn't an option, just shock them to make them drop their weapon and shield, pick them up, and leave. What are they gonna do about it?

night slime
May 14, 2014

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m kinda pissed that they repeatedly and explicitly marketed it as a direct prequel to BOTW when it became obvious less than a minute into the intro that that was not going to be the case. I like the story they came up with anyway, and it’s arguably canon since Nintendo collaborated with them on it, but I wanted to see the Champions die, dammit :mad:

Wait til you see what they're doing with the Skyward Sword marketing. I'm gonna laugh at how many pissed off people there'll be

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

night slime posted:

Wait til you see what they're doing with the Skyward Sword marketing. I'm gonna laugh at how many pissed off people there'll be

What are they doing with the Skyward Sword marketing?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

What are they doing with the Skyward Sword marketing?

They probably mean how in the initial reveal they stressed how some of the same gameplay mechanics ended up / got improved upon in BOTW, and were like "if you liked BOTW, you owe it to yourself to check this one out too".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah that 30 seconds of the reveal showcase sure was the real focus of their marketing efforts, i'm sure everyone will be so upset over that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You can really tell Nintendo had fun with their physics engine when you bust out bombs. They do piddling damage but lots of knockback. When enemies are near cliffs or water (though not the latter for Lizalfos) you've got free kills.

Always keep in mind, there's no actual incentive to defeat common enemies in straight-up fights. Even for monster parts, you quickly have more than you know what to do with.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

While it's not quite that, the logic is pretty clear in that it's expanding on the same world and characters, and elements that didn't get much focus in the original. Most of the licensed Warriors games are basically made out of fanservice.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Motto posted:

The extremely misleading marketing of the spinoffs that went so far as to exclude "Zelda" from their names entirely.

Hyrule Warriors is called Zelda Musou in Japan.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Amppelix posted:

yeah that 30 seconds of the reveal showcase sure was the real focus of their marketing efforts, i'm sure everyone will be so upset over that

my uncle is sneaking a sheikah sensor beep into 1 frame of it so you fall into a coma

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While it's not quite that, the logic is pretty clear in that it's expanding on the same world and characters, and elements that didn't get much focus in the original. Most of the licensed Warriors games are basically made out of fanservice.

Oh I think the story is much better than in BotW and hope they're taking notes for BotW2, I just also wish it was the prequel it was marketed as and not this alternate history offshoot

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1392467984883408896?s=20

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

How do you even make that happen?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Item Getter posted:

Hyrule Warriors is called Zelda Musou in Japan.

It's actually Doki Doki Tunic

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Walla posted:

How do you even make that happen?

I'm not sure. Is there a lynel near kakariko village in master mode?

Also it looks like the lynel is glitched and can't move out of that spot.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they pushed it with chests and magnesis into the pond? IIRC that’s what they do to fixed spot NPCs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Closest Lynel is down the path to Mt Lanaryu. It’s the bow/arrow icon on the far right:

Could they kite it down that path? It runs along the north side of that lake and goes pst the fairy fountain.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lynels can't normally be lured away from their spawn and if they somehow are they're supposed to just teleport away so this is some powerful glitching going on

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder if it's being played through cemu and this is some kind of emulation fuckery.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finding 50 seashells sure beats finding 900 Korok seeds.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I wonder if it's being played through cemu and this is some kind of emulation fuckery.

Zelda Neko apparently uses straight up regular Switch and just finds glitches and exploits, no emulation apparently.

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1386277778954149889?s=20

Their YouTube has some tutorials on things like getting the Hynox brothers into Hateno village and recently he discovered the above. He's stated that he's going to have a tutorial on how to move a Lynel around.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 14, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I hope it’s something like scuttlebug transportation.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

New Zelda Amiibo, thank you for Biden Bucks

https://youtu.be/BjSHq7e3mB8

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

glassyalabolas posted:

New Zelda Amiibo, thank you for Biden Bucks

https://youtu.be/BjSHq7e3mB8

That looks like a great QOL feature that should just be in the base game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It really isn't all that great. Like for starters the game isn't actually expecting you to constantly travel between the zones like that. I can't actually think of any circumstance where i would want to use this ability in SS. It might save like 20 seconds of running over to the nearest save point sometimes?

Not that it isn't a really loving weird choice to lock a feature like this behind amiibo

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if it still remembers where you last used it if you go back to the surface and then up again the normal way? There's probably some neat speedrunning tricks you could set up with it if so.

My gut says no though, because it would probably lead to weirdness if, say, you set it up in pre-flooded Faron Woods and then try to come back while it is flooded.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Amppelix posted:

It really isn't all that great. Like for starters the game isn't actually expecting you to constantly travel between the zones like that. I can't actually think of any circumstance where i would want to use this ability in SS. It might save like 20 seconds of running over to the nearest save point sometimes?

Not that it isn't a really loving weird choice to lock a feature like this behind amiibo

Yeah it’s odd. Amiibo’s didn’t exist when SS originally released so they’re probably trying to shoehorn one in that has a value proposition that’s not completely unfair if you don’t have it. But yeah, anybody who knows this game will realize how silly it is. It’s not like it won’t sell out immediately and go for twice it’s shelf cost on the aftermarket anyway…

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah it’s odd. Amiibo’s didn’t exist when SS originally released so they’re probably trying to shoehorn one in that has a value proposition that’s not completely unfair if you don’t have it. But yeah, anybody who knows this game will realize how silly it is. It’s not like it won’t sell out immediately and go for twice it’s shelf cost on the aftermarket anyway…

Not to mention be instantly decoded for other people to load to amiibo tokens and use anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Think it’s about time for another BOTW run. Been about 3 months since the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1395794243868938245?s=21

I understand that having far away places look like an impressionist painting was a technical choice to overcome the Wii’s low power and inability to have good draw distance, but removing it kinda sucks because it was a big part of the game’s aesthetic… at the same time that framerate is :discourse: