Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I did read it.

No examples given. Great "analysis" Dumbonic O'Connellstupid

Very innovative Potters Bar disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Recycling chat:
That's a lot of bins/bags/boxes.

We just have black bin (general waste) and green bin (plastic, paper, metal, card, etc. that allegedly gets recycled) and an optional 50p a week garden waste bin.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Foster posted:

if you're under 40 they'll give you Pfizer or Moderna unless there is a really pressing reason that you can't have either, then they'll begrudgingly give you AZ.

IME anyway, and a few other people I know my age (mid-thirties) who've just had it

I had AZ for my first dose so am assuming I'll be getting the same for my second despite being 31

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did read it.

Think of all the things you can do with a train, you can make it longer or shorter, you can put more or fewer seats in the cars, it's not like they're on rails or anything, be creative!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

while he wasn't an antisemite
Had a lengthy discussion about this one time during a webcam game of The One Ring, which involved lots of googling & poring through his letters & diaries &c. iirc the outcome was that whilst there isn't really a sufficient case to say that he was an antisemite, there's definitely enough dodgy poo poo in there that I wouldn't go on record saying he wasn't

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jaete posted:

Yep that's the biological context. In Tolkien it seems that elves and humans are on some level the same species but different subspecies (or different "races"), since they can produce viable offspring. It immediately gets a bit difficult though since the offspring of half-elves can choose for themselves whether they want to be elves (immortal) or humans (short-lived, but... with no upsides I guess?), so there's some literal magic involved :v:

But Tolkien never mentions (afaik) any other half-anything, for example dwarves or ents never get involved in that kind of stuff. Maiar (Gandalf etc) seem to be above reproduction, except actually one of them apparently had viable offspring with an elf, and... yeah, in general it's murky and mostly unexplored.

There's the southern guy hanging out with Bill Ferny who the hobbits think "looks more than half like a goblin", but since none of them have ever seen an orc at that point it's kind of hard to tell whether that's a hint at interbreeding or just hobbits being racist.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Barry Foster posted:

if you're under 40 they'll give you Pfizer or Moderna unless there is a really pressing reason that you can't have either, then they'll begrudgingly give you AZ.

IME anyway, and a few other people I know my age (mid-thirties) who've just had it

Anyone know if they're still avoiding giving people with severe allergies the Pfizer one?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

New pod's out for your delight! If you need a break from the state of rainy fash island and especially from the UK Labour party, please do join us at a magical New Jersey Deli which doesn't make any money but is worth more than $100 million. I think this is one of my favourite stories I researched to date.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1395333768878174213?s=20

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vaccines opened to 34+ and I have to make an 80 mile round trip each time. Very cool.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Everything is wrong with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1393196897343614977?s=19

- .@ cowardice
- biden worship
- homework copying
- vague end goals with no specifics
- halve child poverty (not eradicate)
- FROM THE MIDDLE OUT
- guardian link
- rachel reeves
- aaaAAAAAAAAA

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1395312830061105154

"it is unclear who the tweet was targeting."

1965917 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 20, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Going with the fake image as the headline photo without making that clear I see.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's me had the second AZ shot. So far just a bit of a sore arm.

Also the doctor who gave me the second one wasn't as good as the nurse that gave me the first, I actually felt the second going in :argh:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Who do they think is excited for Biden?

Oh liberal journalists. Right.

Also lol not top down or bottom up but middle out is the most centrist pablum I've ever read I think

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also lol not top down or bottom up but middle out is the most centrist pablum I've ever read I think
The economy will achieve stability by hovering in mid air and always twirling, twirling outward toward freedom!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Everything is wrong with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1393196897343614977?s=19

- .@ cowardice
- biden worship
- homework copying
- vague end goals with no specifics
- halve child poverty (not eradicate)
- FROM THE MIDDLE OUT
- guardian link
- rachel reeves
- aaaAAAAAAAAA

Middle out?

Did they have a handjob efficiency workshop before he sat down and hammered this one out by any chance

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what the gently caress is the middle of the economy

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

I did read it.

It does annoy me when people trot out that graph of passenger rail journeys which skyrockets as soon as privatisation happened, as if hundreds of thousands of people were refusing to use a state-owned rail network and then suddenly began using trains again in April 1994.

The numbers don't lie - rail journeys increased massively after privatisation. But the turnaround in numbers began in the early 80s when BR was sectorised (organised by traffic type not geographical region) and the sectors were given more power to adjust their timetables, fares, service patterns, marketing and corporate identity than under the monolithic BR of the 60s and 70s 'managed decline' era. The surge in passenger numbers in many ways reflects groundwork done in the late 80s paying off as the economy bounced back after the early 90s recession.

The graph also tracks with rising fuel prices, increased road congestion (reflecting the end of 'Roads for Prosperity' in the aftermath of the recession and the fallout from Twyford Down and Newbury) and the boom in property prices as more people commute from further away and do so by rail.

And what the graph really pegs is inward investment in the rail network, which surged in the few years before privatisation and then private sector investment boomed in the mid 90s until the private operators realised that running a railway is both difficult and expensive and it's easier to make a profit this quarter (rather than in 20 years) by outsourcing some of the maintenance to a billion subcontractors and deferring all the rest. Then after Hatfield etc. the state subsidy picks up the slack.

I imagine BR could have undergone a similar revival if it had had it's funding increased by a factor of four.

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably it's people like that chap on QT who refused to believe that he was a) rich and b) in the top 1% of earners because he made £100k/year and was outraged that Labour were going to put his taxes up because he was just an ordinary struggling tradesman.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 20, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

BTL landlords

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Birmingham.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

Going with the fake image as the headline photo without making that clear I see.

Yes. They should have shown the original. Here it is:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The middle out is clearly the best and most sensible way to change I say as my stomach expands out in middle age, destroying all my trousers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Had a lengthy discussion about this one time during a webcam game of The One Ring, which involved lots of googling & poring through his letters & diaries &c. iirc the outcome was that whilst there isn't really a sufficient case to say that he was an antisemite, there's definitely enough dodgy poo poo in there that I wouldn't go on record saying he wasn't

I was thinking of this - '
Thank you for your letter ... I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people.'

Which for the 1930s is about as good as you're going to get.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Borrovan posted:

He probably wasn't an antisemite in spirit but uncritically accepted some ideas he shouldn't have, is my read on it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes. They should have shown the original. Here it is:

that was such a lovely picture, too. if corbyn had got in he would have opened schemes for the young people and those childer would likely be old enough now for to go to the schemes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

that was such a lovely picture, too. if corbyn had got in he would have opened schemes for the young people and those childer would likely be old enough now for to go to the schemes
Fool! You can only save half of those children! For do you not know of my mantra, that better things are not possible?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gats Akimbo posted:

There's the southern guy hanging out with Bill Ferny who the hobbits think "looks more than half like a goblin", but since none of them have ever seen an orc at that point it's kind of hard to tell whether that's a hint at interbreeding or just hobbits being racist.

I always took him as being some creation of Saruman, like the Uruk Hai who were (maybe I'm misremembering) a half breed of orcs and men. Orcs of course already being Morgoths corrupted Elves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

The people who still think of themselves as middle class. Basically Starmer just admitted that he's happy to toss the working poor into a grist mill if it gets him elected.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

55+ white homeowners approaching retirement.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Recycling chat:

Where I live, plastics (not flimsy like bread wrappers though) go in a purple non-recyclable bag.
There are two sorts of green bin. One with a round hole at the top for glass and one with a lift up lid for garden waste (which you have to pay for from the council).
For those not having communal bins, the 'glass' bin is a huge grey box which if you live in a flat takes up your entire kitchen. (I have approx 2 glass jars per month - 1 coffee jar and one other small which might be a kitchen item or a bathroom item).

Other bags and boxes we have to use:
Blue food waste bin but which you can use any old plastic bag to line and you can put your kitchen towels in (but not where my mum lives over the border).
Pink bag for paper,
a separate pink bag if you have shredding
a pile of cardboard or newspaper not allowed in the pink bag
a yellow bag if you have 'sanitary' waste eg nappies, san towels etc.

At one point, they were going to provide everyone with reusable (in theory) cloth bags.
Great, except you have to pile your rubbish in the street - middle of town, everyone lives in flats over shops or flat blocks and a bit of a wind and they'll blow in the river and then you'll be obliged to buy new ones from the council.

So many of these 'initiatives' assume everyone lives in a 2-up 2-down house with a front garden.
I miss the system from when I lived in Spain; big communal bins (one for rubbish, one for recycling) on the street every hundred metres or so. Walk down, chuck stuff in, done. A couple of times a week, a truck would empty them.

Couldn't do it here though; God forbid anyone walk beyond their front gate, and look at those unsightly bins outside our house taking up our parking space, NORMAN.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jaete posted:

Every time this whole thing with fantasy "races" comes up I don't know whether to laugh or cry... just makes me so loving tired

What I'm about to say isn't a challenge or incompatible with this. I just want to point out that a lot of these concepts —elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls, etc— are older than the scientific understanding of species and our (often problematic) efforts in anthropology. I'd venture that some of the difficulty comes in that the ancient concept (I want to write a story with elves) is trying to be rammed into a contemporary understanding that asks questions the original culture never asked (are elves a race, a species, or what?) Especially when you strip them of the categories their original cultures gave them. Categories like Tuatha or Jotunn, that described them perfectly in their time, and make no sense today.

E: that's not to discount that the author may be deliberately espousing Social Darwinism in their work, which is common.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 20, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

josh04 posted:

Anyone know if they're still avoiding giving people with severe allergies the Pfizer one?

They very nearly turned me away because of my peanut allergy - they basically said 'no pfizer cos peanuts, no az cos under 40, go away until we have moderna'

But then the lead clinician there said that food allergies don't count, and it was only some weird thing I can't quite remember (plastics or something?) that was an issue, so I got the pfizer.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Tolkien also has different subraces of human though, I.e. Numenoreans who are Human++. Aragorn descends from them. I mean he was writting in the 30s, and while he wasn't an antisemite race science was just kind of accepted until it got discredited In 1945 for some reason.

Ah yeah that's right, the Numenoreans "descended from superior stock" or some such bollocks and as a result would live to 300-400 years old. But over time their blood was mingled with lesser men and blah blah, Aragorn was still in good middle-aged shape at 85 or so (during the books/films) but would rapidly get old already at like 120 or something and die

All the authors following up on this stuff sure could have used some critical introspection here re: purity of bloodlines, but oh well!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Payndz posted:

I miss the system from when I lived in Spain; big communal bins (one for rubbish, one for recycling) on the street every hundred metres or so. Walk down, chuck stuff in, done. A couple of times a week, a truck would empty them.

Couldn't do it here though; God forbid anyone walk beyond their front gate, and look at those unsightly bins outside our house taking up our parking space, NORMAN.

Same in Germany - relatively-equally spaced in your community, you'd have big bins for glass (one for white plain, one brown, one for coloured glass iirc) and paper. Building would have big wheelie trolleys for paper, biological waste, and then black sacks for non-recyclables.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

jaete posted:

Ah yeah that's right, the Numenoreans "descended from superior stock" or some such bollocks and as a result would live to 300-400 years old. But over time their blood was mingled with lesser men and blah blah, Aragorn was still in good middle-aged shape at 85 or so (during the books/films) but would rapidly get old already at like 120 or something and die

All the authors following up on this stuff sure could have used some critical introspection here re: purity of bloodlines, but oh well!

Bollocks he was 210 and had been king for 122 years when he died. I'm not knowledgeable enough to weigh in on the rest of the debate but I will not stand for these falsehoods.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
This page is talking about Tolkein and what Starmer meant by rebuilding the economy from the middle out and all I can think is that hobbits are involved somehow.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A lot of it comes from the bible and Methuselah etc, the idea that the 'original' humans were taller, lived longer and things were better in them days.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Payndz posted:

You can't trust Terry not to fill the whole fucker with old carpets and bits of scrap wood. Best we all get our own share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Landlords.