Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's funny that a lot of the Old White Men showing their entire asses on Twitter trying to hand down their hoary wisdom of developing haven't done much developing at all, especially recently. I seem to recall some of them at least were also the ones whose monocles went a-popping when Orion Black complained about their treatment at WotC or the temerity of saying writers should charge 25 cents a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm glad they have "upgrade" kits. I want to try out their washable paper stuff but don't really need a whole second palette.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Kwyndig posted:

They're doing a reprint with an expansion on Kickstarter.

Well, that would explain why it was mentioned in the first place :doh:

Backed, thanks.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

M. Night Skymall posted:

My original thing where I thought they'd picked a system was based on the twitter conversation surrounding it. They heavily implied there that they were going to continue using Cortex and just release an official product of the rules used in the Actual Play, but yeah there's nothing to actually support that in the Kickstarter pitch, my bad. Mechanics for systems are kind of academic for me since I have no chance of getting an indie RPG to the table, I'm mostly interested in ripping off setting ideas/societies that I can drop in or use to replace boring/bad ones elsewhere. And the art, although the fact that one of the races is just a stylized picture of Gabe is kind of hilarious.

No harm, no foul. I am glad they're raking it in on the Kickstarter, it's good to see afrofuturism get some love.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Thinking about that makes me wonder if there's an RPG setting based on like, the Parliament/Funkadelic style of black funk-scifi. Bootsy Collins saves the universe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

canepazzo posted:

Hope they hit it!

Only about 30k left to hit it, which I think we should, given its been doing ~10k a day since the Sundered Isles as the last stretch goal was announced. I hope it does, cause drat fantasy age of sail adventure is right of my alley.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I mainly remember James Wallis from the Critical Miss website, which amused me around fifteen years ago but I would guarantee would be embarrassing to read now. At least I think that was him. I have a number of Hogsead products, but as people mentioned, he didn't write most of them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wolfsbane posted:

Well, that would explain why it was mentioned in the first place :doh:

Backed, thanks.

The :doh: is all mine, I should have included a link :doh:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/magical-kitties-rpg-level-up

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 21, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The one direct association I have with Wallis is the previously mentioned Alas, Vegas. Which I honestly think is brilliant. But it's pretty inarguable that the process of getting it made and into backer hands was a lengthy series of disasters and delay. I'm still kind of shocked that it not only came out in PDF but I did even eventually get the hardcover. (I cannot for the life of me remember if everything that was promised was fulfilled, but the main game and the other stuff that went into that book, certainly.) So, yeah. Not your best KS authority really.

RPGGeek has him credited as a designer on a bunch of Nobilis-related stuff up to and including Glitch, though certainly not the primary one. Dunno why for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

malkav11 posted:

The one direct association I have with Wallis is the previously mentioned Alas, Vegas. Which I honestly think is brilliant. But it's pretty inarguable that the process of getting it made and into backer hands was a lengthy series of disasters and delay. I'm still kind of shocked that it not only came out in PDF but I did even eventually get the hardcover. (I cannot for the life of me remember if everything that was promised was fulfilled, but the main game and the other stuff that went into that book, certainly.) So, yeah. Not your best KS authority really.

RPGGeek has him credited as a designer on a bunch of Nobilis-related stuff up to and including Glitch, though certainly not the primary one. Dunno why for sure.

Not everything was fulfilled because backers were promised copies of Far West at one point :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

malkav11 posted:

Just checked my copy of Glitch, and Wallis is credited under "Design and Development Contributors," has his graphic design work on Nobilis cited, and shows up in the Special Thanks, so... could be Nobilis carryover, could be continuing collaboration?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

clockworkjoe posted:

I launched a Kickstarter for a podcast series featuring me (Ross Payton of Role Playing Public Radio), Greg Stolze, and James Wallis. It's called Ludonarrative Dissidents. Each episode we look at a single RPG and analyze it. Backers get to vote on which RPGs we examine. Check the list here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosspayton/ludonarrative-dissidents-a-ttrpg-analysis-podcast-series

We have a preview episode up on RPPR right now covering Apocalypse World if you want to find out what a typical episode will be like http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2021/05/ludonarrative-dissidents/ludonarrative-dissidents-apocalypse-world-episode-zero/

Well, you made both of the most common mistakes people make when reading Apocalypse World.

1) The MC is restricted in when they can make moves. The MC makes moves "whenever there's a pause in the conversation and everyone looks to you to say something" (2e p.88). Or, put another way, moves are how the MC caps off what they have to say and gives the players something to react to. It doesn't have to be a bad something or a destructive something; it can be an opportunity something or a reflective something. But, at the same time, it can be direct action, not just a threat.

The easiest mirror is the aggro situation - if Rolfball's steering the ship and Keeler, a PC, kicks open the door to the cabin, points a shotgun at Rolfball, and says "hard to port. NOW." she's going aggro on Rolfball. How well she makes that roll determines what range of responses the GM gets to choose for Rolfball, like "give you what you want", "get out of your way", or "suck it up and take it".

So let's mirror that - Keeler is steering the ship and Rolfball kicks in the door with a shotgun to give orders. Keeler has a much freer range of action than Rolfball did because Rolfball's not making a player move, and some of those actions probably have a move attached to them. But not all of them: Keeler can give Rolfball what he wants and just not get shot, or Keeler can just decide to take it, at which point Rolfball inflicts harm as established, with no moves on Keeler's part. (Though of course afterwards there's the harm move, and probably whatever Keeler was doing that made her think getting shot was a good idea.)

This mistake causes problems because: as an MC, if you think you're restricted to when you can make an MC move, you're going to leave your players adrift in possibility when they hit their moves clean or don't march blithely into the teeth of your prep. When you don't make moves to wrap your part of the conversation you can't be sure you've left your players something to react to.

2) Players should be narrating, not saying the name of their moves; the MC should decide what moves get made. The ideal state is that the player both narrates their action and says what move it is, and the table agrees. Players not narrating is the first example (on 2e p.10) of deviating from this ideal, but players only narrating is also a deviation that needs further MC intervention. If players can't hit the ideal they're free to come at it from both directions - saying the name of a move whose effects they want when they haven't worked out how to narrate it, or narrating a reasonable course of action when they don't know exactly what move to make.

As an MC, I've found it very helpful to have a reference sheet and duplicate playbooks in front of me during play so that I can work off the same text as the players, but all the same, it's not only left to the MC to engage with player moves, especially playbook-specific player moves that a player almost certainly has in mind.

This mistake causes problems because: it's a pretty big load on the MC to be solely responsible for that, as you've noticed. It's also a really sucky situation for the players if they think the MC made the wrong call. What grounds have they got to challenge it if they're not allowed to say what move they want to make?

It's possible to run the game as a one-shot, though the big example of how to do so is trimmed from second ed, not entirely sure why - probably because it kind of flies in the teeth of how you'd run a first session otherwise. Instead of letting people build out the apocalypse and their place in it, you make the apocalypse and their place in it in advance, and show up with a pre-prepped scenario that would simulate the active threat situation as of session 2 or 3. So: this is Rustbridge, a community built over and under an old-world bridge. The luxe is all up top and the poor unfortunates are inches above the water at high swell. These are the threats to Rustbridge. This is who the playbooks are in Rustbridge and these are the threats they care about the most, and there's a love letter folded into each one of them so we can do some tossing dice for setup after everybody's made their initial playbook choices.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Glazius posted:

Well, you made both of the most common mistakes people make when reading Apocalypse World.

This calls for a parallel series for corrections and redactions, [Dude]onarrative [Listen]ance.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Wallis rubs me the wrong way, a pontificator who hasn't produced terribly much, and what he has produced hasn't been all THAT successful.

Hogshead was a brave idea that gave us white book Nobilis.

On that thought, make them cover Chuubos Magical Wish Grant Engine, Glitch, or Wisher Thaumaturge Fatalist.

Hogshead was in the late 90s and early 00s the biggest selling RPG company based in the UK, mostly because it had the license for WFRP. He was still apparently making money when he quit Hogshead, making him more successful than the overwhelming majority of the RPG industry - but the money at the time was in the d20 glut of disposable RPGs and that wasn't something he wanted to do at all. He's more legit than most commentators - at least the ones who aren't almost 20 years out of the business. As pontificators go he's got a better record and has seen more sides of the industry than almost everyone else I can think of (with a few exceptions) - but most of it's 20 years out of date.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neonchameleon posted:

Hogshead was in the late 90s and early 00s the biggest selling RPG company based in the UK, mostly because it had the license for WFRP. He was still apparently making money when he quit Hogshead, making him more successful than the overwhelming majority of the RPG industry - but the money at the time was in the d20 glut of disposable RPGs and that wasn't something he wanted to do at all. He's more legit than most commentators - at least the ones who aren't almost 20 years out of the business. As pontificators go he's got a better record and has seen more sides of the industry than almost everyone else I can think of (with a few exceptions) - but most of it's 20 years out of date.

And the thing is, even if one were to accept "oh at one point James Wallis was a big hotshot of some sort," that doesn't really buy you a lifetime free pass to wedge your unsolicited opinions into the middle of everyone else's business and not get called out for it. Between this, his comments about the Motherlands kickstarter, and his lovely remarks to me about very basic "writers should get at least 10c/word" stuff, he comes across as someone who's dived headfirst into the "bitter old man" well.

https://twitter.com/yes_jon/status/1396181625549979648

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Kai Tave posted:

And the thing is, even if one were to accept "oh at one point James Wallis was a big hotshot of some sort," that doesn't really buy you a lifetime free pass to wedge your unsolicited opinions into the middle of everyone else's business and not get called out for it. Between this, his comments about the Motherlands kickstarter, and his lovely remarks to me about very basic "writers should get at least 10c/word" stuff, he comes across as someone who's dived headfirst into the "bitter old man" well.

https://twitter.com/yes_jon/status/1396181625549979648

What the hell is he referring to that he expects to sell a half a million copies in a year? Several projects, perhaps? Surely not anything RPG or board game related. My best guess is some of his learning software from Green Board Games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

EverettLO posted:

What the hell is he referring to that he expects to sell a half a million copies in a year? Several projects, perhaps? Surely not anything RPG or board game related. My best guess is some of his learning software from Green Board Games.

The best part is him casually dropping that nobody wants to work with him as he tries to explain why people should listen to what he says, like drat I maybe wouldn't have led with that one!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Hey are itch.io links allowed? I've been working on a DnD 5e campaign setting for the Thirty Years War (1630s Europe), if anyone is interested

Satan Has His Miracles

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Enjoy posted:

Hey are itch.io links allowed? I've been working on a DnD 5e campaign setting for the Thirty Years War (1630s Europe), if anyone is interested

Satan Has His Miracles

This thread is for crowdfunding generally, even though it says "Kickstarter" in the title. But is this a funding drive of some sort? It might be more appropriate in Chat and the D&D thread(s) if it's just for sale/PWYW all normal-like.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm getting an urge to back a big box-o-minis game. Anything good out there or coming up?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Funzo posted:

I'm getting an urge to back a big box-o-minis game. Anything good out there or coming up?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/lasting-tales-a-fantasy-miniatures-game/description
They're taking late pledges. Enjoy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only about 30k left to hit it, which I think we should, given its been doing ~10k a day since the Sundered Isles as the last stretch goal was announced. I hope it does, cause drat fantasy age of sail adventure is right of my alley.

And yep, goal hit, with a couple of days to spare. Can't wait to Swear an Iron Vow as Guybrush Threepwood to become the best pirate there ever was!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Funzo posted:

The Witcher board game is in the next few days but I dunno if it has heaps of minis. Also the Mythic Battles pledge manager will probably open soon

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Witcher is live. Go get your minis.

That said I am probably far more interested in Paris l'Étoile, which looks like it's pulling an AFFO:Norwegians trick and making the base game even better.
It also said a magical combination of words I've never heard before, but am suddenly super intrigued by "Custom shaped 4mm thick wooden tiles with heat transfer printing". Wooden bits instead of cardboard? :nyoron:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

It also said a magical combination of words I've never heard before, but am suddenly super intrigued by "Custom shaped 4mm thick wooden tiles with heat transfer printing". Wooden bits instead of cardboard? :nyoron:

I'm not entirely sure how you managed that when every Tiny Epic game has had heat transferred wooden markers in the stretch goals.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah but like... EVERY bit is wooden instead of just some of the components.

(I backed it cause Paris has been on my wishlist for a bit anyway :v:)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God loving dammit Robot Quest Arena just launched as well.

It's robot wars with drafting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdtOpebbFI

Why do all the good KSs launch at once.. Maybe I'll convince a mate to pick it up :negative:

EDIT: lol
Isle of Cats: Don't Forget the Kittens
Lockup: Breakout Expansion
Fisk Borg

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 25, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tussie Mussie is getting an expansion, and you can also pick up the base game for a total of $20. It's a delightful little deckbuilder (sort of?) by the designer of Wingspan. I got a lot of use out of the base game because my sister and mom who aren't really into board games are very into it.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
For any fans of Prison Architect, they've got a campaign for the board game going. I like that they don't have any stretch goal addons so it's just one pledge level for the whole thing, and it comes with a free key for the game on steam. Unfortunately it's about halfway over and they're a little over 1/3 of the way to funded, so it remains to be seen how successful it'll be.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Chubbs posted:

For any fans of Prison Architect, they've got a campaign for the board game going. I like that they don't have any stretch goal addons so it's just one pledge level for the whole thing, and it comes with a free key for the game on steam. Unfortunately it's about halfway over and they're a little over 1/3 of the way to funded, so it remains to be seen how successful it'll be.

There has been a lot of backlash re: the theme, as I understand it. It definitely puts me off, but I'm not really the audience they're aiming for in the first place.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chubbs posted:

lol @ coming with a Steam key to own an easier-to-play version of the boardgame in question. I've yet to really see a videogame-to-boardgame translation that isn't just "we took the mechanics and made them more tedious for a tabletop setting"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

The Witcher is live. Go get your minis.

It's super weird that this appears to be a bunch of generic people and monsters rather than well known characters from The Witcher. I thought that was where most of the appeal was rather than the setting. Seems to be working for them, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DLC Inc posted:

lol @ coming with a Steam key to own an easier-to-play version of the boardgame in question. I've yet to really see a videogame-to-boardgame translation that isn't just "we took the mechanics and made them more tedious for a tabletop setting"
Gears of War!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
SPACE KRAKEN looks pretty inventive, color me curious:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dartlab/space-kraken

I am always interested in novel mechanics or systems, doubly so if they are inventive and seem like they'll work!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DLC Inc posted:

I quite liked the Superhot card game. It wasn't anything like the video game, really -- in fact I think it was a reskin of a different card game by the same designer -- but it was enjoyable enough. As I recall it cost about the same as the video game and came with a free key, so it was a lot like getting a video game I wanted and a free card game as well.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Speaking of the Prison Architect boardgame, David Turczi posted an apology on behalf of the design team and they've collectively renounced the game and any royalties they might be owed from it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2666011/statement-prison-theme-designers

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

Speaking of the Prison Architect boardgame, David Turczi posted an apology on behalf of the design team and they've collectively renounced the game and any royalties they might be owed from it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2666011/statement-prison-theme-designers
Holy poo poo, wow. Nail in the coffin, for sure.

EDIT: Oh, yup, the project is cancelled. Check the KS comments for chud meltdowns over "cancel culture."
EDIT 2: I've never played the video game, but I do own it from a humble bundle some time or another and I did like the developer's other games. I just never looked into whether the game was satire or criticism of the prison industry, neutral, or embracing the concept.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 26, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

honestly the concept of "prison architect" even as a videogame struck me as being loving gross so this seemed like a logical conclusion to whatever the boardgame was doing

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The game kinda has a statement with its intro but just barely, it’s mostly neutral I’d say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I've been told repeatedly by people that the video game does try to be a game where you really can do all the "good prison" things, focus on helping prisoners reform in a safe and healthy environment, and so on. Those people stopped playing it anyway.

The designers say the board game is a banger, so hopefully they can make something good out of it.