Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh so now I'm racist for wanting to see the Mario audition tape where Charles Martinet vamps about pasta for like 10 minutes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ruddiger posted:

John Hawks on the highway

The trailer park shootout

The 50 cal tearing through the car full of dudes

Every time Colin Farrell says the word “mojito”

That movie rules.

"What will happen is... what will happen is I will put a round at twenty-seven hundred feet per second into the medulla at the base of your brain."

I don't know if the stutter was in the script or if the actress just fumbled the line but it helped make the scene memorable.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought it was a mirror!!

I appreciate you and this reference

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean has Jamie Fox ever been in a good movie.

Collateral is a good flick and he's good in it. It's just filmed on some terrible looking digital camera.

Also his horrible bosses cameos are epic.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

falz posted:

Collateral is a good flick and he's good in it. It's just filmed on some terrible looking digital camera.

Same camera Zodiac was shot on. Looks fine, just a little noisy in the really dark scenes. But it was 2004 :shrug:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Foxx is pretty good in Baby Driver too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Foxx is pretty good in Baby Driver too.

he is, but the question was if he was in any good movies, not if he was good in any movies. important distinction. he's good in a lot of movies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Baby Driver was a good movie until it was tainted retroactively by Kevin Spacey and Ansel Elgort.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What did Elgort do?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno i liked every previous Edgar Wright movie but i thought Baby Driver was kind of a turd from jump

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno i liked every previous Edgar Wright movie but i thought Baby Driver was kind of a turd from jump

Baby Driver had some elements I liked but on the whole, yeah. I definitely don't feel compelled to see it again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
BABY DRIVER peaks with its opening. It's not surprising that Wright used the idea for a music video first because that's the best avenue for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Maarak posted:

What did Elgort do?

Last I heard, (allegedly) tried to coerce a 17 year old girl who was over at his house into sleeping with him. He was about 23 at the time.

Might be misremembering the exact details of the story :shrug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baby Driver had some cool moments but it's by far the worst thing that Wright has ever done.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The worst problem with baby driver is none of the music felt like it fit. It all seemed like he picked it from a library after the movie was made instead of planning and shooting the movie around it. Which, if I'm remembering right, is exactly what happened.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, Baby Driver is Wright's worst and only bad movie (depending on your opinion about Scott Pilgrim). But it gave Jon Bernthal a paycheck, so whatever.

The Michael Myers mask gag was pretty great though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the chase scene where the gunshots synced exactly to the beat.

Also the Michael Myers joke.

The opening couple of scenes were also great

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

The worst problem with baby driver is none of the music felt like it fit. It all seemed like he picked it from a library after the movie was made instead of planning and shooting the movie around it. Which, if I'm remembering right, is exactly what happened.

This amuses me to no end because editor Paul Machliss famously cut the entire film to the songs on-set from the video tap, like to the point where he was literally buckled into the back of the camera chase car with a laptop strapped onto an apple box. His assistants had to rebuild his cuts by sound timecode burn (if they were lucky, by eye if they were not) the next day in the edit room. And the rest of the editing world asked "whyyyyyyyy?" because obviously there was no benefit to editing on set rather than, I dunno, planning your shots properly and cutting dailies in the edit room the next day like a normal production?

e. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 22, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: that's such a bummer, because yeah it doesn't come across at all. If I hadn't read about the film's gimmick/origin first, I would have had no idea they were even trying for that.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: that's such a bummer, because yeah it doesn't come across at all. If I hadn't read about the film's gimmick/origin first, I would have had no idea they were even trying for that.

Near enough every second of the film is synched directly to each song, as well as things like words in the background appearing at the same time as in the song, and of course all the songs being about Baby.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was pretty excited for Baby Driver, but it was definitely a disappointment. The only part I remember is Jon Hamm (or maybe it was Jon Bernthal) singing along to Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up by Barry White. That's a good song, so I'm fine with this being my only memory.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's funny that replacing the actual soundtrack with InitialD eurobeat makes the music fit the action better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Annabel Pee posted:

and of course all the songs being about Baby.

Now I'm imagining an entire movie scored like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lcoHWdfO14

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It wasn't music picked after the fact. Wright put the songs into the script I think, there was just one or two he couldn't clear. The problem is that they all feel like Wright's favourite songs. That's why you have the ridiculous scene of Jon Hamm being like oh wow you're listening to Queen like me and my brother used to when we were kids and it's like... No you didn't.

It's why I appreciated that in LADYBIRD she has a teen's taste in music, not Greta Gerwig's.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DrVenkman posted:

. That's why you have the ridiculous scene of Jon Hamm being like oh wow you're listening to Queen like me and my brother used to when we were kids and it's like... No you didn't.

Queen were at their peak when Jon Hamm was a kid.

Is it really that farfetched that a dude born in the 70s likes music from the 70s?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tough guys born in the 70s love Zeplin and only Zeplin.

I'm just surprised that the movie is eliciting this much discussion, because it's such a forgettable film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only part I liked was when Hocus Pocus started, but then it still didn't feel like it matched with what was happening. It's mind blowing to find out the extent they went through to make stuff fit with the editing and it doesn't show at all. Fuckin suicide squad felt more cut to it's music than it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only part I liked was when Hocus Pocus started, but then it still didn't feel like it matched with what was happening. It's mind blowing to find out the extent they went through to make stuff fit with the editing and it doesn't show at all. Fuckin suicide squad felt more cut to it's music than it.

Every single action and sound onscreen matches the beat at melody of the song. Him running up the stairs, lightposts going by the camera, gunshots, all the edits themselves, etc. You guys are nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v6NDhHlf0A

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my main complaint musicwise with that flick was that the single edit of radar love sucks and ruins the dynamics of the thing

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wait, this is the poster thread? gently caress.

here's a couple posters I grabbed randomly, talk amongst yourselves

I don't know what to think about this one. There's clearly a video tape gimmick and/or some found footage nonsense and I kind of find the idea enervating, even without actually knowing poo poo about the movie. Also something about the lighting for the shot at the top of the poster makes me think "this is a netflix series, isn't it" even though it's clearly a movie

I know exactly what to think about this one and it's "I hate musicals, this looks insufferable even amongst musicals, and it absolutely looks like (contrary to the listed credits, I know) what some dumb white motherfucker thinks anything involving people of color looks like." it is extremely pitched to some mayonnaise-faced middle americans

and this one is just literally nice pete:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

stratdax posted:

Every single action and sound onscreen matches the beat at melody of the song. Him running up the stairs, lightposts going by the camera, gunshots, all the edits themselves, etc. You guys are nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v6NDhHlf0A

The scene doesn't get more intense during the intense parts, slower during the slower parts, nothing big or important happens at the solos, etc. It's timed to the song perfectly on a technical level and it doesn't make it feel like that song fits there or needs to be that song or anything at all. Like yeah, his footfalls are on beat. Great. That doesn't do anything for me on any emotional level, It's not memorable, and was a big waste of time to do.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Wow looks like someone wanted to skirt the legal rights for a Videodrome remake. Joking but at least that would be more interesting that Internet Torture Movie No. 53.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe "watch people die..on the internet!" is still a genre in 2021. I've seen 2 kooky comedies this year alone about loveable characters livestreaming killing sprees. It's creativly bankrupt at this point, and that's not even factoring poo poo in like the Christchurch shootings irl

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Genre cinema really isn't about new ideas, it's about reconfiguring old ideas in new ways. Take the slasher movie for instance, they're all basically the same story of a murderer's rampage, and yet there are thousands of slasher movies taking the concept in countless directions. Slashers themselves are just a spin on Gialli, which are just a spin on mystery fiction. It's exactly the same with these "watch people die on the internet" movies, the growing familiarity of the structure is a part of the appeal, and within that known structure is an opportunity to play, explore, and challenge preconceived notions.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vince MechMahon posted:

The scene doesn't get more intense during the intense parts, slower during the slower parts, nothing big or important happens at the solos, etc. It's timed to the song perfectly on a technical level and it doesn't make it feel like that song fits there or needs to be that song or anything at all. Like yeah, his footfalls are on beat. Great. That doesn't do anything for me on any emotional level, It's not memorable, and was a big waste of time to do.

I agree with this. That scene was a mess. It could've been edited to any song and I don't think it would make a difference.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
They're about to release a live-action version of Robert A Heinlein's classic novel "The Door Into Summer" in Japan.
Here's the poster:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

They're about to release a live-action version of Robert A Heinlein's classic novel "The Door Into Summer" in Japan.
Here's the poster:

Is...is the cat a fascist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is...is the cat a fascist?

All cats are.