Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The loudest wedding imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FreudianSlippers posted:

The loudest wedding imaginable

Drunkest too

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but does anyone have the quote from the guy visiting Constantinople and complaining about how he can't buy a loaf of bread without the baker getting in to a drawn out argument about whether the Son is equal to or subservient to the Father and Holy Spurit?

Gregory of Nyssa posted:

Everywhere, in the public squares, at crossroads, on the streets and lanes, people would stop you and discourse at random about the Trinity. If you asked something of a moneychanger, he would begin discussing the question of the Begotten and the Unbegotten. If you questioned a baker about the price of bread, he would answer that the Father is greater and the Son is subordinate to Him. If you went to take a bath, the Anomoean bath attendant would tell you that in his opinion the Son simply comes from nothing.

Oratio de deitate Filii et Spiriti Sancti, (= Oration on the deity of the Son and of the Holy Spirit) - courtesy of https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2009/06/19/a-famous-passage-of-gregory-of-nyssa-but-where-from/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

Drunkest too

Sounds like a good time!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just caught up on a bunch of pages in here.

And I learned of that neat rear end S Tank.

Also, the radar jamming posts is the tits.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

thepopmonster posted:

Oratio de deitate Filii et Spiriti Sancti, (= Oration on the deity of the Son and of the Holy Spirit) - courtesy of https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2009/06/19/a-famous-passage-of-gregory-of-nyssa-but-where-from/

Thanks!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just caught up on a bunch of pages in here.

And I learned of that neat rear end S Tank.

Also, the radar jamming posts is the tits.

What jamming post?

Also I'm looking for a post and I'm not sure where it was. It was basically to the tune of back in the day (victorian era maybe?) people just assumed that beings on other planets were a given. I can't find it and I don't have search

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

What jamming post?

Also I'm looking for a post and I'm not sure where it was. It was basically to the tune of back in the day (victorian era maybe?) people just assumed that beings on other planets were a given. I can't find it and I don't have search

might be the Benjamin Franklin letter in PYF tweets thread:

CleverHans posted:

I feel like the "we gotta deforest the land and also get rid of the swarthy so we can look good for the aliens who are also white" insanity part does not get taught in school.

Skwirl posted:

He meant God, not aliens, and probably a majority white Christians today still think God is white.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Did he think God lived on Mars and Venus?

[...]

D-Pad posted:

Yeah during that time it was actually pretty accepted fact that Mars and Venus had aliens of some sort living on them.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/until-recently-people-accepted-the-fact-of-aliens-in-the-solar-system/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow that's a ways back. If I had any money, I'd kiss you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:wink:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the notoriously swarthy swedes

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
Ah, yes! The notoriously dark-skinned... *checks notes* Germans

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"White" basically meant "people from my country and no one else" in that era. Especially when it came to colonizing or subjugating fair skinned people. The entire concept of whiteness was largely invented as a justification for colonialism and slavery and was, and in many aspects still is, pretty arbitrary and regional. It's not until the 19th century with the invention of scientific racism where the idea of a monolithic White Race that all Europeans, or even all Indo-European people, belong to pops up and even that didn't quite stick with some people reaching deep into their own asses to find a reason to justify why the Italians/Irish/Mexicans/Jews/Finns/Whatever weren't really White despite racial science categorising them as so.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 02:12 on May 20, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is the post I was half-remembering above, thank you for writing it!

e: I rediscovered this post about Swedish Radar MacGyver and it deserves to appear in this thread too since it is one of my favourite historical fun facts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3872282&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post489566959

Milo and POTUS posted:

What jamming post?

On the topic at hand, white isn't a thing. There is no definition. Depending on who, where, and when, every single ethnicity and nationality has been non-white.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1894 Eduard Wölfflin began work on the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, a dictionary of the entire latin language. When work began it was believed to take 20 years. It is still not finished and it is expected that the work will be completed around the year 2050.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Alhazred posted:

In 1894 Eduard Wölfflin began work on the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, a dictionary of the entire latin language. When work began it was believed to take 20 years. It is still not finished and it is expected that the work will be completed around the year 2050.

Can you really expect a man of that age to keep working on it quickly?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Why is it taking so long?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

they keep uncovering new words

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Someone's making new words.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
They were done, then someone discovered plurals and the work doubled.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Biplane posted:

Someone's making new words.

The Pope, or secret Romans?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

For some years it was us the Finns, trolling a 100+ year old Dane with weekly Latin radio news https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuntii_Latini

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Yes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

The Pope has to keep modernizing his speech for when he crowns a new Holy Roman Emperor

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Wait, maybe it's like the Exegesis of Phillip K. Dick, and the Roman Empire stille xists, except it's only fuckup stoner romans who keep making up new words to throw off linguists?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Why is it taking so long?

quote:

The Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (abbreviated as ThLL or TLL) is a monumental dictionary of Latin founded on historical principles. It encompasses the Latin language from the time of its origin to the time of Isidore of Seville (died 636).

A thousand year's worth of Latin is a lot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This is why you set boundaries.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Over that long a period, is "Latin" even really only one language? Is there an English dictionary that includes old and middle English words? Like does the Oxford English Dictionary contain words you only find in Beowulf or whatever?

Medenmath has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 27, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Medenmath posted:

Over that long a period, is "Latin" even really only one language? Is there an English dictionary that includes old and middle English words? Like does the Oxford English Dictionary contain words you only find in Beowulf or whatever?

yes actually, the full unabridged OED that you get with academic access is THE source for etymology and historical spellings

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mister Olympus posted:

yes actually, the full unabridged OED that you get with academic access is THE source for etymology and historical spellings

That's actually really interesting! Now I'd love to know how to look up a word that has a deprecated letter in it, like a ð or whatever. But that only goes along with what I was saying, since words that old are basically gibberish to a modern English speaker unless they have a very specific education.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vulgar Latin, Classical Latin, and Church Latin are all different from each other to various degrees. They all have different pronunciations of words. Classical and Church are closer to each other grammatically because they were pinned by prescriptive rules about how to write. Vulgar Latin was spoken and was busy doing grammatical changes to turn into the various romance languages, so will be more or less different depending on where/when you look

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Medenmath posted:

But that only goes along with what I was saying, since words that old are basically gibberish to a modern English speaker unless they have a very specific education.

That's why you need a book to look up the gibberish.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Wait, maybe it's like the Exegesis of Phillip K. Dick, and the Roman Empire stille xists, except it's only fuckup stoner romans who keep making up new words to throw off linguists?

Hey, nobody asked you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ROMANES EUNT DOMNES

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Heres a historical factoid I recently heard.

Back in 1945, just before the end of the war. If the Atomic Bombs didn't go as planned, America and the Allies were planning to invade Japan. But they envisaged such a bloody battle, with so many casualties and injuries, that they thought they had better be ready.

So they commissioned about 1 1/2 million purple hearts to be made at the factory. Alas, the bombs did their job, and Japan surrendered, thus there was no need of a ground invasion.

So the US military had boxes and boxes of purple hearts left over. So many that, even accounting for loss and wastage, the purple heart that gets handed out to a soldier that gets injured in the line of duty today, is from that batch of production.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Heres a historical factoid I recently heard.

Back in 1945, just before the end of the war. If the Atomic Bombs didn't go as planned, America and the Allies were planning to invade Japan. But they envisaged such a bloody battle, with so many casualties and injuries, that they thought they had better be ready.

So they commissioned about 1 1/2 million purple hearts to be made at the factory. Alas, the bombs did their job, and Japan surrendered, thus there was no need of a ground invasion.

So the US military had boxes and boxes of purple hearts left over. So many that, even accounting for loss and wastage, the purple heart that gets handed out to a soldier that gets injured in the line of duty today, is from that batch of production.

IIRC they ran out a few years ago, but like in the post 9/11 era which is still 50+ years later.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Der Kyhe posted:

For some years it was us the Finns, trolling a 100+ year old Dane with weekly Latin radio news https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuntii_Latini

Wait what Dane? Wölfflin was Swiss.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

Wait what Dane? Wölfflin was Swiss.

Ah, my mind skipped a track; thought you were actually commenting about why it takes so long and since you usually talk about Danes or pre-1900 Norwegians...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The North Tower posted:

IIRC they ran out a few years ago, but like in the post 9/11 era which is still 50+ years later.

Which may suggest that the fear of a bloody battle may have been a bit exaggerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i bet they still get purple hearts for especially bloody drone strikes