Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Taken fron the Political Cartoon thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think i would be very disappointed if i saw it move and that didn't involve sprouting little crab legs and scuttling sideways

and making a little gremlin noise like nraaaaraaaaaaraaaararrrrrngngrghghgnnnnn :mad:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
You can't see the wheels on that thing and I'm scared it actually travels sideways on like a big wide boi

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

crispix posted:

i'd rather sit in the back of an old electric milk float than that thing

i miss milkmen and milkfloats. early mornings you would hear woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom *tinkletinkletinkle* ... woooooooooooooooooooooooooooom *tinkletinkletinkle* ... *tinkletinkletinkle* ... wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom*

My estate had speed bumps in it so if you had your head out the window at about 5am for a smoke you'd hear wooooooooom CLACLUNK wooooooooom CLACLUNK all round the estate

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It's bizarre how we as a society have completely forgotten that there were actual fleets of zero-emission vehicles making daily deliveries to almost every urban and suburban address in the country for like 50 years. You're telling me that we *couldn't* have them also delivering groceries and all of our parcels at the same time now?

(Oh wait that would require cooperation rather than competition, better have 40 different companies all driving down my street every day, each dropping off one parcel from a diesel-burning van, that's much more efficient and definitely not about to cause an extinction event that would make the K/T boundary look like a loving picnic)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i haven't forgotten the milk floats op

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Almost as good as the pop man.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
after my bloody revolution, i will be saluting parades of milk floats wooooooming down the mall of our new republic instead of tanks and them big flatbed things with rockets on

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know how some milkmen did yoghurts and orange juice and stuff as well? well apparently in NI some milkmen functioned as runners for paramilitaries

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet you could put the big rockets on a long milk float.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

you know how some milkmen did yoghurts and stuff as well? well apparently in NI some milkmen functioned as runners for paramilitaries

:britain:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

crispix posted:

i'd rather sit in the back of an old electric milk float than that thing

i miss milkmen and milkfloats. early mornings you would hear woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom *tinkletinkletinkle* ... woooooooooooooooooooooooooooom *tinkletinkletinkle* ... *tinkletinkletinkle* ... wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom*

My friend's brother was killed by a milkfloat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remember when that old veteran got a yogurt on him and the the whole of England went off like it was the worst thing to happen and then it got found out that the only wars he did was beating some Irish civilians?

Maybe that was the milkmen too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I bet you could put the big rockets on a long milk float.

where would you get a roof rack for a fiberglass roof held up at the back by two poles though? :confused:

the middle aisles at lidl are a trove of very unlikely things but i think that's pushing it tbh

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Remember when that old veteran got a yogurt on him and the the whole of England went off like it was the worst thing to happen and then it got found out that the only wars he did was beating some Irish civilians?

Maybe that was the milkmen too.

Was that the one that had a bit on his shirt around his torso and it was obvious he did it himself?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That singing birb is amazing btw, thanks for posting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

counter-revolutionary internal combustion.

Milkies around here used to do eggs, cheese, yoghurt and off-brand lemonade too.

While I'm :corsair:-ing - and cos I've just heard an ice cream van - what happened to <x> men? Not X Men although they all seemed to disappear around the time superhero movies started up. We used to have the eel man (sold jellied eels and shellfish out of the back of a van), the Corona man (sold Corona soft drinks off the back of a van like that one up there, 5p more for one out of the fridge behind the cab), two different butchers selling out of lorries (one sold whole and half-carcasses, the other did off-cuts and sausages), and (the most evocative of all for kids who grew up in Tower Hamlets) the toffee-apple man, who sold hand-made toffee apples out of the topbox on his Honda Cub.

Now all we've got left is an ice cream man and tbh they're looking a bit down-at-heel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

where would you get a roof rack for a fiberglass roof held up at the back by two poles though? :confused:

the middle aisles at lidl are a trove of very unlikely things but i think that's pushing it tbh
You could take the roof off and have a flatbed I reckon, put one of those larger sized model rockets on it.

bessantj posted:

Was that the one that had a bit on his shirt around his torso and it was obvious he did it himself?
Half a dozen men wearing ski masks and combats jumped out of a milk float, shouted "déiríochta ár lá" and tipped a small strawberry yogurt down him.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Corona man
Boris Johnson still unfortunately exists.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Clarence posted:

If the paint job is supposed to represent the Union Flag, then the diagonal red stripes are in the wrong place. :colbert:

Maybe it's trying to show it's in distress?

It looks like it's taken a good kicking already so maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Milkies around here used to do eggs, cheese, yoghurt and off-brand lemonade too.

While I'm :corsair:-ing - and cos I've just heard an ice cream van - what happened to <x> men? Not X Men although they all seemed to disappear around the time superhero movies started up. We used to have the eel man (sold jellied eels and shellfish out of the back of a van), the Corona man (sold Corona soft drinks off the back of a van like that one up there, 5p more for one out of the fridge behind the cab), two different butchers selling out of lorries (one sold whole and half-carcasses, the other did off-cuts and sausages), and (the most evocative of all for kids who grew up in Tower Hamlets) the toffee-apple man, who sold hand-made toffee apples out of the topbox on his Honda Cub.

Now all we've got left is an ice cream man and tbh they're looking a bit down-at-heel.

We still have a fish guy, who comes round the village & other villages selling fish. Obviously he has a refrigerator van.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Half a dozen men wearing ski masks and combats jumped out of a milk float, shouted "déiríochta ár lá" and tipped a small strawberry yogurt down him.

When will this dairy based violence end?!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the fish man round our way used to yell out of his van something like HRUNALAYFRESHHRUNALAALYAHURURNALLALAAAAAAAAY like that, over and over - he had quite a set of lungs. to this day i don't know if he was yelling words or if it was just some special fish man siren call

i would never have made it as a fish man, i have no shouting voice. if i try to go above speaking on the telephone to someone hard of hearing volume my voice cracks like a pubescent boy's

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only when the miwk from the north and the miwk from the south can come together under a united ireland.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

When will this dairy based violence end?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQkspAFsQY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

to this day i don't know if he was yelling words or if it was just some special fish man siren call
Reminds me of the POUNDABINANAHFORPOUNDFERRAPOUND market call where you could never quite figure out which one was the price and which was the weight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excuse me why is there apparently a mannequin mountain in grantham??

https://twitter.com/SSheil/status/1397873980850294786

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

the fish man round our way used to yell out of his van something like HRUNALAYFRESHHRUNALAALYAHURURNALLALAAAAAAAAY like that, over and over - he had quite a set of lungs. to this day i don't know if he was yelling words or if it was just some special fish man siren call

i would never have made it as a fish man, i have no shouting voice. if i try to go above speaking on the telephone to someone hard of hearing volume my voice cracks like a pubescent boy's

Completely incomprehensible shouting was one of the hallmarks of The <x> Man. The Fish Man was *apparently* shouting "Fresh cockles and mussels, jellied eels, cockles and herring" but it turned into four words made mostly of consonants, and the Toffee Apple Man was just one bellow of OOOOOEEEEAAAAAALLLLLS punctuated by shave-and-a-haircut on one of those old bulb horns.

Also suspiciously-stained white coats, which was always funny to me. The point of food sellers wearing white is supposed to show you how hygienic they and their premises were, so wearing one that looked like you'd just been Carrie-d (or that you'd obviously been wearing in all weathers while riding a motorbike around London for several years) kinda missed the point.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Maine Man still exists in NI and will deliver delicious full sugar fizzy pop to your door ( and collect the glass bottles). We get a selection crate every month.

https://www.mainesoftdrinks.co.uk/shop/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OwlFancier posted:

Excuse me why is there apparently a mannequin mountain in grantham??

https://twitter.com/SSheil/status/1397873980850294786

New Nier raid looking good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like the idea that there is a test for street vendors like cabbies doing the knowledge and you get an automatic fail if your shout has discernable words in it

those mannequin pictures are horrific. that's what it would look like if someone did an alien v.s. predator film but it was mannequin v.s. schindler's list. horrific :stare:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

déiríochta

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My late nan used to live in a tiny hamlet with no shops other than coming into town (3/4 mile walk to bus stop, bus to town, struggling back with your shopping, 3/4 mile walk back up hill from bus stop). I had to live with her for a year when I was 10, and I remember a van about the size of a Bedford van used to come round twice a week with bread, milk, other basic groceries, and - Pink Panther bars :) (who remembers those? Strawberry flavour pink 'chocolate' - probably more like caramac than chocolate.)

And the Corona lorry used to come round on high days and holidays for the fizzy pop which my folks allowed us to have a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock on Easter, Christmas and bank holidays.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ed. nm it's been deleted now.

He'd do better with the public if he simply said: I am a liar, a cheat, and incompetent. I'm posh too and have zero affinity with the working classes.
Then he'd win an election under the British system because the Grate British Public love to be represented by a vile piece of scum.

Ed: the tweet related to Starmer. Owl has helpfully screenshotted it and reposted a couple of posts down.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 28, 2021

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Pink Panther treats I remember were pink wafer things. Googling them led me to this sad story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pink-panther-wafer-biscuits-become-first-corporate-victim-rf96jb9d3

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He'd do better with the public if he simply said: I am a liar, a cheat, and incompetent. I'm posh too and have zero affinity with the working classes.
Then he'd win an election under the British system because the Grate British Public love to be represented by a vile piece of scum.

...who is Boris Johnson?

e: Incorrect, I am bad at Jeopardy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did, however, screencap it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
who was alleged to be interfering with dogs then?

i can think of a few likely looking suspects off the top of my head

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

LORD Ian Austin.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
How about a dead pig head mascot, for the tories to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

I strongly suspect it's a fake quote.