Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
THEN.
NOW.
FEDORA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seams posted:

I wonder if Nakamura is on the short-list for cuts. I would think his contract is pretty big and they’re not really doing anything with him.

I mean, I don't want anyone to lose their job, but drat if it wouldn't own if a Nakamura with his working boots on ends up in AEW or back in New Japan so I'd be fine with this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, I don't want anyone to lose their job, but drat if it wouldn't own if a Nakamura with his working boots on ends up in AEW or back in New Japan so I'd be fine with this.

Nakamura could show up as the nega-Christian Cage in AEW.

OUT.
COAST.
EVERYzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Codependent Poster posted:

THE LORE OF THE HUGGER

The Lore of the Friend

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

blast0rama posted:

I’ve wondered why they didn’t do that gimmick for Alexa or the Fiend since the start of the Thunderdome, and instead…it goes to Bayley.

they have been doing this with alexa and the fiend

wwe has been hiring big tall dudes with like no wrestling experience in the PC its just most of them wash out almost instantly

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All this talk about the WWE firings and a thought I had.

Lacey Evans still draws a WWE paycheck. As does Tamina Snuka.

2 charismaless, bad wrestlers who are awful at reciting the lines that are handed to them. Two performers who, despite multiple opportunities have failed to connect in any way with the crowdWWE Universe. These are the people who WWE feels it is necessary to keep spending money on.

As opposed to Aleister Black or Braun Strowman.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lacey is well-liked backstage

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

pretty sure he threw his working boots into the ocean

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Seams posted:

lacey is well-liked backstage

So was Ruby Riott and look what that got her

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drakkel posted:

So was Ruby Riott and look what that got her

Heidi was well liked by the locker room, Lacey is well liked by management

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

pretty sure he threw his working boots into the ocean

Or he just quickly figured that there's no point in putting in any effort when you're in WWE.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t Lacey are troops and so can never ever be fired?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Or he just quickly figured that there's no point in putting in any effort when you're in WWE.

“He’s not doing anything. He’s checked out. He’s just out there to… his family likes Florida. He’s out there to surf. He’s kinda on his pension now, you know what I mean?” - big davey meltzer, WOR, 2019~

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

She's also pregnant and the company probably wouldn't want the bad publicity of firing another pregnant woman.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's also pregnant and the company probably wouldn't want the bad publicity of firing another pregnant woman.

Finding it hard to believe that they'll do shows for Saudi dictators, fire workers at the height of a pandemic and protect multiple pedos/abusers but firing a pregnant woman is the one line they won't cross

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

Finding it hard to believe that they'll do shows for Saudi dictators, fire workers at the height of a pandemic and protect multiple pedos/abusers but firing a pregnant woman is the one line they won't cross again

They fired Dawn Marie while she was pregnant

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

the company probably wouldn't want the bad publicity

hahahaha

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think Dawn Marie got let go in a batch of other people so it was very obvious it was because of her pregnancy.

Shitcanning a pregnant woman alongside a bunch of other people has cover built in and the “budget cuts” excuse is just as valid as it is for anyone else (which is to say lol it’s not).

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Firing a pregnant veteran might be the bridge too far in this circumstance considering how much WWE loves their relationship with the military. But that all depends on how much anyone would really care and the answer is probably not much.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

“He’s not doing anything. He’s checked out. He’s just out there to… his family likes Florida. He’s out there to surf. He’s kinda on his pension now, you know what I mean?” - big davey meltzer, WOR, 2019~

Except examples abound of people that this very same description could apply to but who suddenly refound their motivation once they got the hell away from WWE.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Dawn Marie sued and WWE settled so this may be a case where they know it’s cheaper to keep someone on payroll than settle a lawsuit

Also Lacey being well liked by the locker room is a Trevor reference, sorry to spoil the joke

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dawn Marie also got fired sixteen years ago, when social media barely existed and there was no way to stir up a mass of anger that the media could pick up on easily whenever a company pulls bullshit like that. Facebook and MySpace were two years old. Twitter simply didn’t exist. Phones still flipped open and texting with a full keyboard was held to Sidekicks and BlackBerrys. News didn’t puke itself onto the Lock Screen of your phone, because no one knew what a Lock Screen was.

It’s a thing they couldn’t really get away with now without suddenly experiencing a tornado of poo poo.

They’d just wait two months after the baby was born, like they did with the Kanellises (Kanelli?).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Lacey is white, blonde and rah-rah about US military, that's a lot of potential outrage from WWE's target audience.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Do the "Support our Troops" shows, (or whatever the official name for them is), make any significant money for WWE?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Except examples abound of people that this very same description could apply to but who suddenly refound their motivation once they got the hell away from WWE.

no wrestling crowd is going to replicate the feeling of dozens of screaming Nakamurniacs exploding as he rides some sick waves imo

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

She’s carrying a Flair, her job is safe.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

while the specific circumstances of how/why are different, it's hard not to hear monday-night-wars history echoing from WWE carelessly wasting and then losing a glut of young ultra-talented midcard guys who could all probably be main event staples if given the right treatment

edit: i use 'young' in the sense that wwe considers a 38 y/o an upstart kid

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I hope this logic doesnt protect Gunner

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

What does your heart tell you?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

Gunner pissed off 3/4 of the locker room with his chud poo poo and he's prominently featured on Raw while the rest of his stable has been released to go to Impact

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What does your heart tell you?

"dont watch wwe", which is why i'm not up to date on my Gunner facts

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That Apollo-Owens match last night was good but maybe I've been desensitized to the finish as the DVD on the ring apron didn't seem like it would be the finish.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I forgot that Jaxzszon Rycker was Gunner. It really is incredible how many of the people responsible for TNAs early 10s mediocrity have wound up in WWE

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KonaReevesWWE/status/1401197892916895749

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lol I thought he’d been released for a minute there

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oh right, Kona Reeves exists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He's not had a match in 16 months, how the gently caress is this guy still employed?

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine
he should probably not even tweet. I'd try and fly under the radar so much. this has brought so much attention to wondering how he's employed, in the midst of (lol) budget cuts.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
7 years in developmental..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

never heard of him, and he'll probably be another one of those start in the PC and die in PC projects that someone championed for a hot minute and forgot.