Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why does Victoria Bitter taste alarmingly like a damp secondhand book store?

VB is a great beer served ice cold

e:
https://files.catbox.moe/z5t9pt.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

VB is terrible.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
If I had to choose between xxxx and VB I'd be upset and probably just drink both.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I grew up drinking VB so I think it's alright.
It is one of those beers that tastes really different every time you drink it which is a bit of a worry. It's very temperature sensitive I guess.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Much as we’d like to claim the Dagwood Dog as an Aussie invention, the idea was definitely borrowed from the USA. In 1927, one Stanley Jenkins applied for a patent for a process that produced deep-fried, batter-coated food on a stick. It took a decade or so before the corn dog (or ‘corny dog’ as it was originally called) was offered at State Fairs – the US equivalent of our royal shows.

uh oh ! 😮

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

EoinCannon posted:

I grew up drinking VB so I think it's alright.
It is one of those beers that tastes really different every time you drink it which is a bit of a worry. It's very temperature sensitive I guess.

Super cold vb on tap with your mates watching the footy is how to drink it. The atmosphere is required to get it over the line.

Of course a vb long neck for breakfast riding shotgun in your mates truck is acceptable too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If I really wanted a beer, when I drank, I'd settle for pretty much anything. There's way better craft beers but if all I wanted was a cold beer to relax after work or something then XXXX or VB or whatever. There's better and there's worse but they all taste like cold beer enough to do it for me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slugnoid posted:

VB is a great beer served ice cold

I only had it in the UK so my fridge must not have been able to chill it enough.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

If I had to choose between xxxx and VB I'd be upset and probably just drink both.

All of the beers that have a strong identifier of state are a joke we play on ourselves every day.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Inceltown posted:

The life of Mark Reid is garbage but a speed dealer with the number plate GOE111 is great and thus deserves its spot for that alone.
He did an effective PSA once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgog1m2rOdA

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I only had it in the UK so my fridge must not have been able to chill it enough.

I like how they had the beer taps with the thermoelectric temperature sensors advertising that TEDs or whatever would be dispense at 1.3℃

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"
This bugger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKg_dP3TLg

For Americans, or at least people interested in Hollywood stuff, this Aussie show starred Rebel Wilson (5:56) who has been in movies like Jojo Rabbit and the Pitch Perfect series.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Out of all the people on Fat Pizza how is it that she's the one to become an international star? I stopped watching network tv and paying attention to the broader culture sometime around the mid 2000s so I totally missed how she blew up.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCgqQdmr0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlspL_2Lm64

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wendigee posted:

Much as we’d like to claim the Dagwood Dog as an Aussie invention, the idea was definitely borrowed from the USA. In 1927, one Stanley Jenkins applied for a patent for a process that produced deep-fried, batter-coated food on a stick. It took a decade or so before the corn dog (or ‘corny dog’ as it was originally called) was offered at State Fairs – the US equivalent of our royal shows.

uh oh ! 😮

Take heart, because neither of our countries comes close to the South Korean love of battered hot dogs. Can you say, roll it in sugar? :thumbsup:

Also please show me pictures of these "Royal Shows"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
My only non-online encounter with Australians was when I was an exchange student in Paris back in the 90s. We stayed in a youth hostel and there was a group of Australian kids who (as soon as they found out we were American) endlessly shrieked “Fosters, it’s Australian for piss” at us endlessly.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

Take heart, because neither of our countries comes close to the South Korean love of battered hot dogs. Can you say, roll it in sugar? :thumbsup:

It's standard fair type activities.

Axe chopping

Esky riding

Sheep bragging

You know the drill.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Buisiness at the front, party in the back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aardvark! posted:

They're just an Aussie version of the state fair :ssh:

Inceltown posted:

It's standard fair type activities.

Axe chopping

Esky riding

Sheep bragging

You know the drill.

Good clean wholesome family fun! Here's some 8mm footage from the 60s and 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9rM6A9qLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAmIeQGZYBA

Of course the highlight of the Royal Melbourne Easter Show for every kid was the showbags, which were always stuffed full of lollies and toys. There's several huge pavilions that are dedicated to selling nothing but showbags every year and it's not uncommon to see families walking around at the end of the day loaded down with a dozen or more showbags. Most of them are filled with cheap overprices crap and they usually cost between $5 for the garbage tier showbags up to $15 or $20 for the good ones all the way up to $100 for some of the fancy ones with expensive branded stuff

The classics include the Bertie Beetle showbag:

Wizz Fizz showbag:

N*gger Boy Licorice showbag:

Caramello Koala showbag:

And many many more!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 7, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think i'm going to go on just saying 'licorice', but thanks anyways

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's not racist, it's traditional! Cause that makes it better some how?

Also a whole lot of "I don't mean offence, it's just how we talk!" Lotta excuses happening.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It's named after the AFL player, how could that be racist

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aardvark! posted:

There are only 2 things you need to know about the Royal Melbourne Show.

1) I am old enough to remember when these were $2

2)The Mad Mouse. A rollercoaster that was ancient and rickety when I was a lad, and was/is under constant fear of falling over with every ride. It was ACE! Couldn't find a good picture of it though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

2)The Mad Mouse. A rollercoaster that was ancient and rickety when I was a lad, and was/is under constant fear of falling over with every ride. It was ACE! Couldn't find a good picture of it though.

Those videos I posted earlier had footage of it. It turns out they dismantled it in 2003 and shipped it off to Indonesia where it's apparently still operating.
https://rcdb.com/1248.htm

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It boggles my mind when people go to the Ekka here. I went once and it was awful. Just the worst.

Also every time it's on there's a bunch of stories about "mysterious outbreaks of flu/illness". Gee, I wonder if cramming a bunch of people into that place is a bad idea?

Also literally every person says they go mainly for the bags. Just get a plastic bag and fill it with good sweets!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

It boggles my mind when people go to the Ekka here. I went once and it was awful. Just the worst.

Also every time it's on there's a bunch of stories about "mysterious outbreaks of flu/illness". Gee, I wonder if cramming a bunch of people into that place is a bad idea?

Also literally every person says they go mainly for the bags. Just get a plastic bag and fill it with good sweets!

You go for the wood chopping, to see the ducklings going down the water slide and to watch the v8 stunt drivers nearly hit each other as the drive really fast in patterns.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

syntaxfunction posted:

This is like the person before, who gave the recipe for a "good quality" meat pie.

gently caress you! The whole point of a showbag is the throwaway plastic crap and borderline stale lollies.

But I do agree with you, as an adult, I dunno if I could stand a day at the show, with the crowds, and lugging about multiple heavy showbags with crying whingy kids in tow. But as a little kid, it was ace.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those videos I posted earlier had footage of it. It turns out they dismantled it in 2003 and shipped it off to Indonesia where it's apparently still operating.
https://rcdb.com/1248.htm

I went to school with a guy who now paints amusement rides. He quite often pops over to Indonesia to work there (or at least he did pre-covid).

Lolie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 7, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

But I do agree with you, as an adult, I dunno if I could stand a day at the show, with the crowds, and lugging about multiple heavy showbags with crying whingy kids in tow. But as a little kid, it was ace.

You don't even have to set foot in the show these days. You can order them online.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I never went to shows as a kid, only once as an adult. Maybe I just don't have the conditions for it to be a good thing. Probably!

I still say it sucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of the Melbourne Showgrounds, some of the best entertainment you can ever witness is when racing day at Flemington Racecourse coincides with something pop-culture or anime going at the Showgrounds.

Picture a bunch of people in their fancy expensive racing clothes, having to share a special-route train with cosplayers and wondering just what the gently caress is going on around them the entire trip. It's hilarious :allears:.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of the Melbourne Showgrounds, some of the best entertainment you can ever witness is when racing day at Flemington Racecourse coincides with something pop-culture or anime going at the Showgrounds.

Picture a bunch of people in their fancy expensive racing clothes, having to share a special-route train with cosplayers and wondering just what the gently caress is going on around them the entire trip. It's hilarious :allears:.

The people in their fancy expensive racing clothes are also cosplaying for the most part.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The image of the dressed up woman with her shoes in her hand sitting next to a weeb must be a sight to behold.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Inceltown posted:

You go for the wood chopping, to see the ducklings going down the water slide and to watch the v8 stunt drivers nearly hit each other as the drive really fast in patterns.

I remember in the mid/late 90's there was one of those police car driving demonstration things at a show (Perth maybe) and two collided. Fun!

Inceltown posted:

The image of the dressed up woman with her shoes in her hand sitting next to a weeb must be a sight to behold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inceltown posted:

What you're missing is the kind of people who go to Flemington Racecourse toffed to the nines with fancy hats and outfits for Race Day typically have zero frame of reference for any kind of pop culture at all. Not even the mainstream stuff like, say, Game of Thrones or Star Wars. So you get to see groups of all these extremely-rich expensively-dressed typically-older folk trying to mentally parse just what the gently caress is going on around them with cosplayers from random videogames, movies and sci-fi series throughout the train they're sharing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This is like the person before, who gave the recipe for a "good quality" meat pie.

gently caress you! The whole point of a showbag is the throwaway plastic crap and borderline stale lollies.

Best year was when we brought the huge pram and basically used it as a shopping trolley.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

last time i went to the canberra show i got assaulted by two drunk bogan chicks

pretty good day out

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

It's the temperature dofferenti that's important. VB tastes best when the outdoor temp is 30degC above the beer temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Chats had to postpone their show in Brizzy :(