Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm a philistine whose last FPS was Goldeneye. Saw Doom 64 was available on Switch and went "ooh just 5 bucks!"

Turns out they've "modernized" the control scheme into some reverse Turok kind of deal. Yeah, I get it, it's probably more mouse+keyboard, but uh, can I at least get the option to turn and move forward/backward on the same stick? It's not like the game needs you to look up and down or anything.

*Sigh*

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

I'm a philistine whose last FPS was Goldeneye. Saw Doom 64 was available on Switch and went "ooh just 5 bucks!"

Turns out they've "modernized" the control scheme into some reverse Turok kind of deal. Yeah, I get it, it's probably more mouse+keyboard, but uh, can I at least get the option to turn and move forward/backward on the same stick? It's not like the game needs you to look up and down or anything.

*Sigh*

There may have been worse ways, but this still is probably not the way you wanted to find out that you are weird. Nobody plays with tank FPS controls from the 90s.

In fact, funny you mention Turok because a normal control scheme is the number one thing people praise the modern Turok1&2 ports for. That and lifting the fog and player speed somewhat.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I feel like the options menu that lets you re-assign every single action to a different button except the ones I want is trying to mock me.

This is almost as bad as when I got Resident Evil 3 assuming they'd carry over the "third person controls" option from RE2. And of course they didn't.

Rocket Pan posted:

lifting the fog

They did WHAT?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I feel like the options menu that lets you re-assign every single action to a different button except the ones I want is trying to mock me.

Control stick axis reassignment is very different from button reassignment, our engine is constantly at odds with the former concept so we mostly just stick to the southpaw option to save us the headaches. This comes from having to deal with the several different things that accept input and where, if you handle it in the wrong place or wrong time you can accidentally create an environment in which changing the stick now makes some menus or other actions nonsensical or uncontrollable. As the request pool for remapping the sticks in such a way is typically zero, we prioritise other things.

How is that weird? The fog distance in Turok was hella short, we could afford to push it out just a smidge, don't you think? It was like the number one expected thing from the ports. Some people were disappointed that we didn't remove it altogether (though we wouldn't have done that anyway, that would have been drastic), which the map design didn't really support that as later maps abused the short draw distance to create some weird structures, heck Kaiser already needed to edit some of the existing maps already to handle just extending it. Plus the fog explicitly played into the rendering performance, even extending it was enough to push the Switch CPU to its limit in some places.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 23, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Rocket Pan posted:

Control stick axis reassignment is very different from button reassignment, our engine is constantly at odds with the former concept so we mostly just stick to the southpaw option to save us the headaches. This comes from having to deal with the several different things that accept input and where, if you handle it in the wrong place or wrong time you can accidentally create an environment in which changing the stick now makes some menus or other actions nonsensical or uncontrollable. As the request pool for remapping the sticks in such a way is typically zero, we prioritise other things.

Some nice insight, thanks.

Rocket Pan posted:

How is that weird? The fog distance in Turok was hella short, we could afford to push it out just a smidge, don't you think? It was like the number one expected thing from the ports. Some people were disappointed that we didn't remove it altogether (though we wouldn't have done that anyway, that would have been drastic), which the map design didn't really support that as later maps abused the short draw distance to create some weird structures, heck Kaiser already needed to edit some of the existing maps already to handle just extending it. Plus the fog explicitly played into the rendering performance, even extending it was enough to push the Switch CPU to its limit in some places.

I was joking about this one (well, mostly; I'd still find it ideal for there to be an option if possible).

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

This is almost as bad as when I got Resident Evil 3 assuming they'd carry over the "third person controls" option from RE2. And of course they didn't.
Are we talking about the remakes here or the originals? I think the N64 version of RE2 might have had an option for camera relative controls, but if it did, it was something added by the port studio that had nothing to do with Capcom, who were happily plugging away with mandatory tank controls well into the PS2 generation.

I was joking about this one (well, mostly; I'd still find it ideal for there to be an option if possible).
It's an option, at least in the PC version.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lork posted:

Ye, an option in all versions, both Turok1 & 2. Though in 2 you probably don't want to disable the extended draw distance for multiplayer unless you want to be utterly stomped. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

Does anyone know if Freedoom is still being developed? According to the Doomwiki the last release was in 2019, but the project has been around since 2001 so that might not mean all that much. The newest version does seem to have some better enemy sprites than in earlier days.

There were commits to the github in 2020, but not 2021. I've noticed (so anecdotal data) that a lot of projects have been significantly reduced in activity since 2020, probably due to pandemic fatigue/stress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Prodeus good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prodeus will only be good if they either totally revamp all of the early stages I played, get rid of that goddamn abomination of a shotgun, and/or just make reloading less irksome for half the arsenal.

Funnily enough the graphics, which everyone was worried about, are totally fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There was nothing explicitly wrong with Prodeus when I played but for some reason it just didn't click with me. Soundtrack bangs tho.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lork posted:

I think the N64 version of RE2 might have had an option for camera relative controls, but if it did, it was something added by the port studio that had nothing to do with Capcom, who were happily plugging away with mandatory tank controls well into the PS2 generation.

fun fact: that port studio also made midtown madness for microsoft, the red dead trilogy for rockstar, and the virtual reality scenes in the film “the lawnmower man”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Weedle posted:

fun fact: that port studio also made midtown madness for microsoft, the red dead trilogy for rockstar, and the virtual reality scenes in the film “the lawnmower man”

Ah, well shame about RDR. Can't win 'em all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Carpator Diei posted:

Does anyone know if Freedoom is still being developed? According to the Doomwiki the last release was in 2019, but the project has been around since 2001 so that might not mean all that much. The newest version does seem to have some better enemy sprites than in earlier days.

Arivia posted:

There were commits to the github in 2020, but not 2021. I've noticed (so anecdotal data) that a lot of projects have been significantly reduced in activity since 2020, probably due to pandemic fatigue/stress.

You can go to the official forum on Doomworld to see what people are currently up to. People are posting this year, but it’s probably quieted down with the US opening up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

No soundtrack, which was Redbook audio streamed from the disc. "No soundtrack" hasn't seemed to stop them in the past or present.
They should do what they did with DOOM and "re-record" the Quake soundtrack playing on a 90s Denon CD player or something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You're so patient with people who make insane requests of your games. It's charming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Now when I play a shooter I'm gonna try to reload by holding RMB and pulling down.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You're so patient with people who make insane requests of your games. It's charming.

Relatively speaking that barely registers, it's at least a request that makes some amount of sense, even if it is right out of the 90s.

I've had people ping me at 4 in the morning on discord about secrets in Forsaken, someone insist that adding keyboard/mouse support in Turok on PS4 simply requires us to put time into it (a statement that is as technically true as much as it misses the point), anything to do with the Blood/Build community, and accused of stealing Doom64 fanfiction for creating the Lost Episode. And that's just from my pile.

We get some strange stuff happen to us.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Now when I play a shooter I'm gonna try to reload by holding RMB and pulling down.

I play on my laptop on my couch with the mouse on a book. :cripes:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Prodeus was just announced as coming to Xbox Game Pass PC this week. If you're a subscriber to that (and honestly, I recommend it, it's pretty nuts) then definitely give it a shot.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Groovelord Neato posted:

r plus pull down

it’s the time crisis reload made flesh in more ways than one

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I went back to Prey after Cruelty Squad and I keep accidentally alt-firing doing this.

You don't even need to reload in Prey! Though this has taught me there is in fact an alt-fire for the grenade crabs.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

david_a posted:

You can go to the official forum on Doomworld to see what people are currently up to. People are posting this year, but it’s probably quieted down with the US opening up.
Thanks! And good to know that there's apparently still quite some activity, as evidenced by this new Revenant replacement:
https://streamable.com/rjqdnm

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SkeletonHero posted:

I went back to Prey after Cruelty Squad and I keep accidentally alt-firing doing this.

You don't even need to reload in Prey! Though this has taught me there is in fact an alt-fire for the grenade crabs.

I just feels so natural once you've been playing for a bit lol

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1407758714698964999?s=20

Hell yeah.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 23, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1407739735368507393?s=19

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocket Pan posted:

accused of stealing Doom64 fanfiction for creating the Lost Episode. And that's just from my pile.

We get some strange stuff happen to us.

Now I want to read this fanfiction. It's gotta be a real trip.

If you do end up ripping off fanfiction for ideas please make the bonus episode for your Half-Life rerelease just Half-Life: Full Life Consequences.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Lork posted:

Are we talking about the remakes here or the originals? I think the N64 version of RE2 might have had an option for camera relative controls, but if it did, it was something added by the port studio that had nothing to do with Capcom, who were happily plugging away with mandatory tank controls well into the PS2 generation.

Yeah, I had the Nintendo 64 RE2. You pressed down and you went "down," it was glorious.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Halo MCC has updated with big Halo 1 graphical fixes and new mod tools. There's also two new maps for Halo 3 scavenged from the Russian F2P Graveyard, among other things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hveTO1oD0Ew

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serephina posted:

Prodeus will only be good if they either totally revamp all of the early stages I played, get rid of that goddamn abomination of a shotgun, and/or just make reloading less irksome for half the arsenal.
What's the issue with the shotgun? It's fine up close, and reloads two shots per animation, which more video game shotguns should do.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

That's pretty cool. Too bad I don't have fc5

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I dunno if I'm going to remember any of Alkaline's maps in a week, but I have to say I find myself liking their additions to the enemy roster more than AD's.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

That's pretty cool. Too bad I don't have fc5

It's a decent game on PC with the Resistance mod, there are masses of custom levels on the arcade browser and also it's a fun sandbox. It'll probably be cheap on Steam tomorrow

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

girl dick energy posted:

What's the issue with the shotgun? It's fine up close, and reloads two shots per animation, which more video game shotguns should do.

I have no idea if they've changed it, but when I played the shotgun was about as range-sensitive as the Doom3 shotty, ie required almost physical contact to be able to one-shot a basic mook. The awful reloading hurt the shotty in that I found myself spending an inordinate amount of time in every firefight having to kite backwards as it reloaded, which is the opposite of fun. Example: you'd be backtracking through a narrow gully and melee bruisers warp in ahead, only dual pistols, shotty, and fists are available, and both those weapons have terrible time shooting :: time reloading ratios, so you end up running around (NOT repositioning, just straight running) watching your guns reload. The later guns are better about this, eg the Missile Launcher and Chaos Rifle thing where fine. Alternatively, you can use the shotty's alt-fire, which is a sniper rifle (?!) able to one-shot anything early from infinite range with pinpoint accuracy, for a single shot of ammo (!), but using it requires a painstakingly slow pace of whittling things down. Simultaneously overpowered and miserable to use.

Eventually, I got fun guns (which, coincidentally, have almost nil reload times...) and the arenas started to get hectic, but the first hour or two where really doing a disservice to the quality of the product. This is all possibly outdated, as I've seen at least one new shotty in previews, but I still have my reservations and know better than to assume that everything one doesn't like about an EA product will be magically fixed by release.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

What kinda bugs me about Prodeus is that it looks like it's going for Doom/nuDoom gameplay but they shoved in reloading

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Kins posted:

Prodeus was just announced as coming to Xbox Game Pass PC this week. If you're a subscriber to that (and honestly, I recommend it, it's pretty nuts) then definitely give it a shot.
Oh, huh, it's already up. Installed and played the first level, felt a lot more duke influence than I was expecting.

The enemies make me think of that weird claymation fighter on the SNES and not PC FPS pixel enemies as much as previews made me think.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wow people really don't like reloading huh.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Now I want to read this fanfiction. It's gotta be a real trip.

Unfortunately nothing that exciting. It was Nevander's Doom64 Retribution "mod", and he accused us of taking his story ideas for his level sets. Which we didn't even know existed at the time.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Played some Prodeus on Game Pass and specifically describing your game as a "boomer shooter" when other than the (weirdly filtered) graphics it feels very modern is certainly a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wow people really don't like reloading huh.

I like reloading. It's a satisfyingly tactile thing that lets you put a cool animation in and showcase how the gun works. It's also a good way to give a different rhythm to each gun.

Just don't make a game where it takes multiple reloads to kill a single enemy.