Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1408227041439207426

I can't figure out if this shtick is branding for his future political career or his company. Brainworms explains his worldview, but it doesn't explain the level of effort he's putting in.

He’s insane. Don’t think about it too hard.

Most of the dumb poo poo these assholes do can be attributed to them being absolutely loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Derek Chauvin is getting sentenced today. I’m betting 20-25 years. Anyone else got a guess?

One year probation that gets dropped after a few months, plus an essay.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sacrist65 posted:

A tour full of people who absolutely took the wrong message from the show.

:lol:

I've visited some of the spots that they filmed at back when the show was still airing and I was visiting friends in the city. Turns out, no one cares if you want to go check these places out without being an absolute goober or taking pictures like you're at the louvre.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A lot are just grifters spouting the money-maker line, but that guy definitely seems to be one of the true believers. Dude apparently friend his brains with tons of cocaine or something.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He's a crackhead who has been on a decades long hiatus from crack and replaced crack with hardcore evangelism, which seems to have been just a 1:1 swap on addictive behavior and maladaptive brain impact

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bird food bathtub posted:

A lot are just grifters spouting the money-maker line, but that guy definitely seems to be one of the true believers. Dude apparently friend his brains with tons of cocaine or something.

The hardest part of Dominion's lawsuits is proving they're grifting. "I'm a crack addict who's dumb enough to believe this poo poo" is a defense against a finding of actual malice.

maffew buildings posted:

He's a crackhead who has been on a decades long hiatus from crack and replaced crack with hardcore evangelism, which seems to have been just a 1:1 swap on addictive behavior and maladaptive brain impact

Also evangelism is probably worse for your brain than crack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

The hardest part of Dominion's lawsuits is proving they're grifting. "I'm a crack addict who's dumb enough to believe this poo poo" is a defense against a finding of actual malice.

Posted it in US DOD but its not going well so far for the grifters when they had the first hearing yesterday

CommieGIR posted:

The court hearing for Dominion Voting machines is underway, and so far it the Judge is grilling the various Kraken lawyers

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1408128003654094852?s=20

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1408140558397153281?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Derek Chauvin is getting sentenced today. I’m betting 20-25 years. Anyone else got a guess?

30 days home confinement, 2 years probation, 20 hours community service, has to cover jury per diem.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Chauvin livestream here, I'd bet 20 years: https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/george-floyd-death/watch-live-derek-chauvin-sentencing-hearing/

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

this dude deserves the death sentence. loving really giving condolences and saying there will be more information?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 25, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

maffew buildings posted:

I don't know anything about addiction other than that my family has a bunch of alcoholics, to the point I only drink once every 3 months to make sure I don't develop the habit, but what little I do know is some addicts don't actually embrace sobriety and trade the damaging habit for another that's less detrimental to their everyday life. I think Lindell traded crack for being born-again, and now Trumpfarts. Truth be told I think the crack was less harmful all things considered.

Final guess for Chauvin, 22 years including time served.

I'm not optimistic but I'm not entirely pessimistic.

e: rephrased something to be less generalizing

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 25, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
270 months for Chauvin, 22.5 years.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
drat, I Price is Right'd it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Chauvin sentenced to 22 and a half years.

Will serve 15 years.

Pretty loving disappointing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s a shame that he probably won’t be able to socialize with other inmates.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

Will serve 15 years.

Yes and no.

I'd absolutely prefer life and/or death, but apparently the minimum sentence is 10, under the charges he had. The judge doubled it.

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1408514428031717377

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm betting he leaves in a box. No way they don't gently caress up at some point and put him in genpop, which will be full of sharp objects.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I want to read that 22 page memorandum attached to the sentencing document.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Extra info - looks like the minimum was 10 years and the maximum was 40 years. He has to serve 2/3rds before he's parole-eligible. Minnesota pardons require a unanimous vote of the State Governor, State Attorney General, and Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm betting he leaves in a box. No way they don't gently caress up at some point and put him in genpop, which will be full of sharp objects.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Will serve 15 years.

It's actually pretty good

quote:

However, Chauvin has no prior criminal record. State guidelines say that for such a person, the presumptive sentence for both second-degree and third-degree murder is 12 1/2 years. The judge was given discretion to hand down a sentence between 10 years and eight months and 15 years for each.

Second-degree manslaughter carries a presumptive sentence of four years for someone with no record, according to the guidelines. The judge's discretion ranged from three years and five months to four years and eight months.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Brute Squad posted:

I want to read that 22 page memorandum attached to the sentencing document.

Just found it:

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...10625145755.pdf

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Still definitely hate seeing anybody doing a stretch like that, But hopefully it's a necessary step towards broader reform.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/JulieNelsonKARE/status/1408503614428135439

Get fuckkkkkkkkkkked

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
He also still has federal charges coming, which will have their own sentence.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grip it and rip it posted:

Still definitely hate seeing anybody doing a stretch like that

:thunk:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thank you.

It really dug into showing the "abuse of position of trust and authority" and "treated George Floyd with particular cruelty". Nothing really surprising though, presumably to minimize hooks for appeals.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I remember when, as a teenager, my mom told me that if I ever got arrested for some heinous poo poo she would disown me and let me rot alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I remember when, as a teenager, my mom told me that if I ever got arrested for some heinous poo poo she would disown me and let me rot alone.

Your mom may have said that to you, but she never actually would in court. The last thing a prosecutor will ever do is put the mom on the stand as a testifying witness because they'll lie about their kid 100% of time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kazinsal posted:

:hai:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Chauvin will be getting steak dinners and handjobs from the prison guards. Dan White, anyone

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I want him to walk away alive, because 22 years is longer than his current adult life and that’s probably enough.

If he dies though, I will shed no tears.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

in 2 or 3 years he'll win an appeal and be out.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

The American carceral system is a blight. Just because it's abusing someone you think should be abused doesn't mean it's anything less than heinous.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The American carceral system is a blight. Just because it's abusing someone you think should be abused doesn't mean it's anything less than heinous.

Of all the examples you could use to make this point, Chauvin is the one you’re gonna go with?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat you mean this instance of maybe they got it vaguely right doesn't count as good because other times it's bad? hosed up if true

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the american carceral system is a blight so we should just let a man go free that directly contributed to the system being a blight when he murdered a dude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
we *should* just hang him and his buddies in the town square but 22.5 years in prison that he'll probably be a pincushion after the first two of is good enough

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the paradox of tolerance also applies to the judicial system, and people in power in general. You can't reform the judicial system while also giving easy sentences to those that create and contribute to the unjust system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm actually completely fine with this because I think people who abuse the power of the state should be ground into paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
pretty sure it's ok to let one of the enforcers of the system go through the hosed up system...especially for the kind of poo poo he did.