Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Once again, thank you for this brilliant foreshadowing, you utter bastard.

TeeQueue posted:

This workday was much shorter than normal. You should not be this fatigued.

I know it seems that way, but every minute of it felt like ten. I don't expect you to get it.

...Of course, A. Good night.

Yeah. Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My view on the spoiler as a spoiler is that it will catch you off guard but the moment you give it any thought this was the only way it could end.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Honestly, back before the sequel was announced, I did consider this a hopeful ending of sorts: The plan wasn't completed, but the core goal was: Everyone has a small seed of light inside of them. The result just made it so that the seeds couldn't be completed, and now it's up to everyone to grow their seed themselves, and whether that's for good or bad depends on the person. Ultimately, people are in a better spot than they were before, but there isn't a magical solution that just fixes everything: From now on, the people of the city have to find the answer themselves, with all the capacity for good and evil that everyone has.

That being said, this setting's tone is one where we're probably never going to get an entirely hopeful ending. There are no complete victories, only small ones, which slowly accumulate, and chances are very few of the results of those victories will be felt by the ones making those victories possible. That does not however, mean it's all for nothing.

Unless I missed it though, they never really establish what the seed would do, which strikes me as so sinister.

Narsham posted:

Then it takes, from Angela's perspective, roughly 1 million years for A to finally become X, to grow into someone who isn't entirely selfish. He tends to the needs of all the boxbots. He confronts himself. And he completely ignores Angela.

Yeah that's why I disagreed with the idea to give X dialogue lines, since him even remotely paying to Angela by the end feels off. :v:

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Like, this is a good joke... But imagine. Imagine experiencing life like that. Imagine waiting 100x the split second that it takes for people to go from word to word in their sentences. Imagine everything you're saying coming out of your mouth like that, as well, and your finished thought is left hanging like a webpage loading on AOL before you can go through your next sentence.

Angela deserves everything.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I'd like to shine a new light on this conversation while we're here:

TeeQueue posted:

Day 45: Gameplay

[...]

We'll also be needing to have a conversation regarding recent developments with the Records team.

What, Talow? He's not recent.

Nonetheless, I must insist that the existence of such an Agent risks completely undoing the entire script we are working within, and resetting all of our progress to 0.

Then it would have happened by now, wouldn't it?

So long as no one knew, perhaps, but now-

We'll talk after work.

I must insist-

It won't be that long. You can wait.

Very well, Manager.

[...]

Huu, that was a good day. See? I told you it'd be okay. Now, Angela, you were saying something?

...Angela? The silent treatment isn't like you.

Yesod, have you seen Angela? ...Yesod?

Malkuth? Tiphereth? Hello? Gebura, Chesed, respond.

Hokma? Netzach, you're just sleeping, right? Hod? Hod did you head off to grab a beer without me?

Binah? At this point I'd take you showing up. What's going on? Is my line dead?

Now that we're at the end... she wasn't (just) worried about Talow (disrupting her plans), she was insistent because she knew there wouldn't be another chance to talk -- she knew exactly when she was going to black out for a week. Pity for her, X was ignorant; his one chance to right things and he glossed it over.

I appreciate how we can pinpoint the exact moment karma's teeth start to sink into Ayin's rear end.

(Yes I know this is just TeeQueue's take on it, but I'll attest that it's a good take. :colbert:)

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 26, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m shocked that Angela, an AI, betrayed us in this video game.

She didn't betray us. On the contrary, she helped us complete our mission as she was programmed to do.

We died. Our lifes work was complete.

Now she's doing her lifes work.
Undoing our lives work.

Honestly? more power to her.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019
This has been a wild ride from start to finish, thanks for the trauma!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Was sure I was spoiled by the half glimpse I had thumbnail for the Slay the Spire: Library of Ruina mod. A little disappointed that we don't see Angela go rampant in the same style as the box bots.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

:five: :discourse: :five:

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
God, what a perfect tragedy (insofar as I can't help but go "oh, gently caress, seriously -- no, okay, yeah that tracks 100%, but still, gently caress, seriously???")

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It was kind of inevitable when Ayin started rambling about the trolley problem. People get super hot and bothered by it, but you are unlikely to run into that sort of thing without systemic or leadership failures.

Here, we have the entirety of Lobcorp.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It was kind of inevitable when Ayin started rambling about the trolley problem. People get super hot and bothered by it, but you are unlikely to run into that sort of thing without systemic or leadership failures.

Here, we have the entirety of Lobcorp.

Lobotomy Corporation: where multi-track drifting isn't just a challenge, it's something to aspire to.

On another note, now that story content has concluded I took a dive into Ruina. Game good! I wonder if the TTS is still going, though, because four hours just sorta disappeared.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Materant posted:

Lobotomy Corporation: where multi-track drifting isn't just a challenge, it's something to aspire to.

On another note, now that story content has concluded I took a dive into Ruina. Game good! I wonder if the TTS is still going, though, because four hours just sorta disappeared.

I couldn't wait. I looked up the LobCorp ending on Youtube so I could get into Ruina. Now I'm itching for that LP to start.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do think it's a good reflection of the writing that they can take a trope (the AI will betray you), shove enough events in your face that you forget about it, surprise you with it after all's said and done, and make Angela both sympathetic and justifiable in her actions.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:golfclap:
That was quite the ending...

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Materant posted:

Nothing good ever comes from trains in this universe

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
LC Artbook

The game's only DLC is an Artbook that fleshes out a lot of information about the company as a whole. Because I want to support the company in question, I won't be putting the entire thing down here, but there are several things inside of it that I really want to put into the thread for various reasons-this post is for that.

Seriously though, if you have 10 bucks to spare you should absolutely consider picking up the artbook-it's really nice, including an overview and art of a number of Abnormalities in addition to a very cool look. Anyways, I'll include the basic Manager's Manual, as well as a couple of other neat bits that caught my eye, below.

Wellcheers :allears:

Punishing Bird sketchwork

Maskless Little Red Riding Hooded Mercenary

A better shot of all six brothers in their meltdown state.

There's also a lot of art of Abnormalities that didn't make it into the game! Silent Girl is a favorite. :allears:

Nosferatu, as well.

Confirmation that the Dummy Rabbit is an old employee in a funny bodybag.

Finally, the back cover of the book-which confirms that the manual itself is an Abnormality.

Like I said earlier, I recommend it heartily-there's a lot of cool notes and concept arts and things in there, and I've really only scratched the surface of the content in the 158-page book.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

:allears: This is amazing.

SL the Pyro posted:

(Yes I know this is just TeeQueue's take on it, but I'll attest that it's a good take. :colbert:)

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Once again, thank you for this brilliant foreshadowing, you utter bastard.

I will take both of these and put them in my 'good writing' jar. :buddy:

Acerbatus posted:

Unless I missed it though, they never really establish what the seed would do, which strikes me as so sinister.

Yeah that's why I disagreed with the idea to give X dialogue lines, since him even remotely paying to Angela by the end feels off. :v:

They do not establish what exactly the seed will do, just that it'll plant seeds of light in people's hearts that will fix things??? and let them make EGO???

I will admit that giving X a voice wasn't something I was completely sure I would do or not... Then Day 3 Gameplay happened and necessitated a compelling story beat to explain everything away. Honestly, I feel like D3:G really set the tone for a lot of things and went a long way towards making the LP into what it became. Without giving X a voice, a lot of things would have been a lot harder to write around or get through-and I don't even know what the suppressions would have looked like.

Maybe there's another universe out there where it's written like that... there's gotta' be a Singularity that'll let us see, right? :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

KazigluBey posted:

It spoils (reveals?) what the next game will be, in the very last update. I figure some people would like to find that out from Ruina's epilogue, not the comic. :shrug:

They'll forget by the time Ruina LP finishes

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

For what it's worth, I'd say Distortion Detective and WonderLab are both probably okay to check out if you want to.

DD is about the aftermath of This poo poo as viewed by a person completely outside of the L corporation, and even the WonderLab Ending doesn't really spoil much of anything that's particularly important in the next game?

There's also a short story about an entity called The Pianist which is somewhat notable to the coming story which was released before Ruina, it's also probably fine-but damned if I can find it right now.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeeQueue posted:

For what it's worth, I'd say Distortion Detective and WonderLab are both probably okay to check out if you want to.

DD is about the aftermath of This poo poo as viewed by a person completely outside of the L corporation, and even the WonderLab Ending doesn't really spoil much of anything that's particularly important in the next game?

There's also a short story about an entity called The Pianist which is somewhat notable to the coming story which was released before Ruina, it's also probably fine-but damned if I can find it right now.

I got you, fam.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I imagine you mentioned this at some point but I had forgotten that EGO stood for "Extermination of Geometrical Organ". That, uh, feels like someone came up with the acronym first and then didn't try very hard to make words to fit it.

Thanks very much for the LP! It's an interesting game, and your characterization of the manager and employees really added a lot to it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Qrr posted:

I imagine you mentioned this at some point but I had forgotten that EGO stood for "Extermination of Geometrical Organ". That, uh, feels like someone came up with the acronym first and then didn't try very hard to make words to fit it.

The devs have confirmed that this is exactly how they came up with it, yes. :v:

Ahh, thank you. Yes, this is moderately important.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah, I get why Angela would want to carry out a vicious revenge fantasy on an admittedly deserving A and Ayin, and maybe to a lesser extent the boxbots, but. It looks like poo poo goes to hell for everyone, going by the sounds of the epilogue.

Man, Angela is an utter rear end in a top hat and I hate her. :mad: Like father and mother, I suppose. I hope the next game let's the player put her down. Fantastic duo-tagonist, though also simultaneously a victim of the main one.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TeeQueue posted:

LC Artbook
You just generated a sale - normally I never buy artbooks, but this one is gorgeous. Thanks for an amazing LP!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

Yeah, I get why Angela would want to carry out a vicious revenge fantasy on an admittedly deserving A and Ayin, and maybe to a lesser extent the boxbots, but. It looks like poo poo goes to hell for everyone, going by the sounds of the epilogue.

Man, Angela is an utter rear end in a top hat and I hate her. :mad: Like father and mother, I suppose. I hope the next game let's the player put her down. Fantastic duo-tagonist, though also simultaneously a victim of the main one.

part of it is revenge, but there's also the fact that Angela just doesn't want to die for literally no reason. it's not even like it's refusing a heroic sacrifice, it's A having his heroic sacrifice while also making the conclusion of the script "also you die, too. gently caress you". that's some SAW movie level of bullshit, and entirely on A.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Angela has absolutely no obligation to relinquish the Light that she, more than anybody, has suffered to gather, without even being asked if she was okay with it. It's not on her to give it to the people of the City to make their lives better.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Even the art book is pretty upfront about the truth behind Abnormalities all being part of the human subconscious

My abnormality origins post was reduced to irrelevancy long before now but between this and a significant chunk of abnormalities being metaphors for game plot points (and in the case of Ice Queen being incredibly upfront about it) that ship has sunken into the River and probably become some horrible ghost ship abnormality that represents aquaphobia or something like that.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Theantero posted:

Angela has absolutely no obligation to relinquish the Light that she, more than anybody, has suffered to gather, without even being asked if she was okay with it. It's not on her to give it to the people of the City to make their lives better.

You managed to frame this in a way that makes me really question my feeling of sympathy towards Angela, wonderful!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That manager's guide just made me think of something: how does LobCorp recruit managers? They obviously don't promote them from agents since they explain everything (and managers clearly don't have the mental strength to face abnormalities without the cognition filter, which agents would) and the skillsets aren't the same. I guess maybe they're people who applied for other positions and aced some test that sent them on the manager track instead. And by "manager track" I mean they were given a manual and shoved into a control room with a "good luck" because the manual clearly assumes they know jack poo poo about what's going on at LobCorp. So maybe agents would actually be better candidates.

*looks at the agent roster for this LP*

On second thought, maybe LobCorp's approach is for the best.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That manager's guide just made me think of something: how does LobCorp recruit managers? They obviously don't promote them from agents since they explain everything (and managers clearly don't have the mental strength to face abnormalities without the cognition filter, which agents would) and the skillsets aren't the same. I guess maybe they're people who applied for other positions and aced some test that sent them on the manager track instead. And by "manager track" I mean they were given a manual and shoved into a control room with a "good luck" because the manual clearly assumes they know jack poo poo about what's going on at LobCorp. So maybe agents would actually be better candidates.

*looks at the agent roster for this LP*

On second thought, maybe LobCorp's approach is for the best.

Managers in HQ are all a brain-wiped A.

Managers in branch offices are probably just hired normally, since those don't get the good poo poo.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The light could not have existed at all if she hadn't remained solid throughout that million years. She was essential to the process and was promised a death sentence as thanks for her efforts. She wasn't even going to get to see the plan's results! Taking only half of it for herself is a hell of a lot better deal than she was offered, and still good for the City too since while the seeds are weak they actually exist now unlike before. Is it guaranteed to change everything the way it was supposed to? Maybe not, but the chance exists now and it's up to the people to seize it. Not to mention Angela may in the end actually come to her own idea of how to fix things and her own reasons to do so, instead of having to be forced into it with not a whisper of a meaningful reward for herself.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

a cartoon duck posted:

part of it is revenge, but there's also the fact that Angela just doesn't want to die for literally no reason. it's not even like it's refusing a heroic sacrifice, it's A having his heroic sacrifice while also making the conclusion of the script "also you die, too. gently caress you". that's some SAW movie level of bullshit, and entirely on A.

Theantero posted:

Okay, while these are true, and what has been done to her is hosed.

A lot of people in this game and story die for no drat reason.

"Those humans… There will be those who manifest their power, and those who will be consumed by such power. Beings will exist that become nothing better than the Abnormalities with their collapsed egos, and beings that shall become something greater. No matter what it may be… I wish to know about them, to expose them. Then ultimately, I would like to sort the knowledge I have gained about them. ‘Books’ are the name as I recall?"

Sounds a lot like she's catalyzing a change in a LOT of people into potentially very dangerous abominations out in the world at large. That's tremendously hosed.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

BisbyWorl posted:

Do you think Angela had girl power?

Do you think she effectively utilized girl power by hijacking the Seed of Light and ruining a 10000 year plan?

People hate to see an AIboss winning.

It's funny how Angela hijacking the whole thing references (probably by accident) the structure of the Sephiroth: as we've seen before Carmen represented Da'at (both in her location and how she was the one who united all other Sephirots under her vision), so Angela is sort of a Boxbot of Carmen in spirit. Thing is, generally while Da'at is a Sephirah it's not usually represented in the tree. And when it's used people generally exclude... Keter, AKA A's representative Sephira.

So in other words, when Keter is gone, Da'at takes its place. Just like how Angela hijacked A's light for herself.

(Also if you interpret White Night as A instead of Carmen, you can consider his actual One Sin being his treatment of Angela which brings his salvation to ruin. For bonus points One Sin generally stays there listening to people talk. Doesn't fit the whole Apostle thing though.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

(Also if you interpret White Night as A instead of Carmen, you can consider his actual One Sin being his treatment of Angela which brings his salvation to ruin. For bonus points One Sin generally stays there listening to people talk. Doesn't fit the whole Apostle thing though.)

Does it not? WhiteNight chose its followers, evolved as it got to know them, then when it was time for the true ascension, it brought them with it - but one follower wasn't called, they didn't have a place in the plan. And that one follower was able to stop it in its tracks by invoking the one sin.

The only thing that doesn't completely map is that A only had eleven robots while WhiteNight has twelve apostles.
Hell, A even changed their names, for as much as that was a bug with WN.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

MinutePirateBug posted:

You managed to frame this in a way that makes me really question my feeling of sympathy towards Angela, wonderful!

What can I say, I clearly have a way with words :v:

And just to be clear, this is not some 'sweat of your brow' sentiment, but rather the fact that Angela is basically the platonic ideal of an individual that truly owes nobody anything. She was created in a basement by some weirdo rear end in a top hat, emotionally abused, and enslaved to a task she had to perform for a million years of perceived time, and after that was over, she was told to give away the fruits of all that labor and die. Yeah, no, she was perfectly justified in saying 'gently caress No' to that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tenebrais posted:

Does it not? WhiteNight chose its followers, evolved as it got to know them, then when it was time for the true ascension, it brought them with it - but one follower wasn't called, they didn't have a place in the plan. And that one follower was able to stop it in its tracks by invoking the one sin.

The only thing that doesn't completely map is that A only had eleven robots while WhiteNight has twelve apostles.

WhiteNight's twelfth apostle betrays him. Angela is A's twelfth apostle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Okay, while these are true, and what has been done to her is hosed.

A lot of people in this game and story die for no drat reason.

And? She was made to suffer through a living hell for countless years because a lunatic had the idea that if you shoved the right amount and type of energy into people it would somehow fix everything. What happens next with the library will be on her head but everything involving Lobo Corp is Aiyn's fault.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tenebrais posted:

It's mostly that it's pretty obvious the twelfth Apostle "confessing" to One Sin is analogous to Michelle/Hod ratting everyone out to the Head, while it's hard to map out Angela's betrayal to the confession (since both the Apostle AND One Sin would be Angela which muddles the metaphor.) And also

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

WhiteNight's twelfth apostle betrays him. Angela is A's twelfth apostle.

If you count Tipheret and Tipheret as separate boxbots (which they are, claiming otherwise is roboracist) there would be 10 Sephirot Boxbots + Angela, which makes 11, not 12.

That said, if you go by "White Night is Carmen" you have to take out Binah/Garion since she's an agent of the Head but add A which makes... 11 again.

Obviously the true explanation for this is not that it's not meant to map out perfectly and the 12th apostle is a reference to Judas, but that there's someone related to the whole mess we're never presented with and thus makes 12 Apostles in both cases :viggo:

On another note, great LP TeeQueue, I personally think the dialogue you wrote added a lot of fun to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Theantero posted:

What can I say, I clearly have a way with words :v:

And just to be clear, this is not some 'sweat of your brow' sentiment, but rather the fact that Angela is basically the platonic ideal of an individual that truly owes nobody anything. She was created in a basement by some weirdo rear end in a top hat, emotionally abused, and enslaved to a task she had to perform for a million years of perceived time, and after that was over, she was told to give away the fruits of all that labor and die. Yeah, no, she was perfectly justified in saying 'gently caress No' to that.

It was just a visceral reaction to words I have seen too often. But ya, Angela don't owe those stinkin' humans nuthin.

It isn't really clear if spreading the light is really a good thing for humanity even though it is presented by the deranged lunatics who created a hell for a bunch'o people that it is.