Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

congrats on being as embarrassing as larry parish?

dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Trump as Tom riddle (Harry has found his first draft of art of the deal) and he's rearranging his name donald trump and it just comes out as a misspelling tromp etc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
bunch of wizards with pockets full of animal poo poo looking disdainfully at the swole barbarian lifting a gatehouse over his head without the use of a single poultice. cringe, they all agree. absolutely shameless.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Tatain the Syrian had a cool concept of magic:

The means of creation was the dynamis logike ("power expressed in words"). At first there proceeded from God the Logos who, generated in the beginning, was to produce the world by creating matter from which the whole creation sprang. Creation is penetrated by the pneuma hylikon, "world spirit," which is common to angels, stars, men, animals, and plants. This world spirit is lower than the divine pneuma, and becomes in man the psyche or "soul," so that on the material side and in his soul man does not differ essentially from the animals; though at the same time he is called to a peculiar union with the divine spirit, which raises him above the animals. This spirit is the image of God in man, and to it man's immortality is due.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'll go too sincere for a moment and say that I don't really want a thread like this here because magic is largely unfounded bullshit and doesn't really belong in the left leaning politics forum. But I am also a little annoyed that a non-insignificant number of people in this thread seem to view magic as some weird scam perpeutated by bored white ladies when it does actually have a long history in working class and oppressed communities and those communities were subject to ostracizing and violence from the forces in power, often not even out of a concern for bullshit but for them not believing in the same bullshit as the majority. (This bread is magically turned into flesh when the magic man mutters a prayer, type stuff.)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I must warn you, I am a master of reiki energy and I can put up forcefields to defend myself and project energy waves to knock you over if you displease me. Your hexes cannot stop me, my power is too great

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:gas:

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
new age/magic poo poo etc is a direct line to q-anon and other far right stuff. it makes your brain into swiss cheese and shouldn't be encouraged or condoned. thanks

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

new age/magic poo poo etc is a direct line to q-anon and other far right stuff. it makes your brain into swiss cheese and shouldn't be encouraged or condoned. thanks

Yes.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
My Bo staff protects me

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh yeah have this crosspost from pyf

fun hater posted:

one of my hobbies is finding poorly scanned vanity or personally printed/distributed grimoires from people who are especially passionate about magic and i wish every practicing witch was harnessing whatever this guy is because i think he really gets it.

fun hater posted:

uh huh. now i understand everything.

fun hater posted:

please let me post one more and then i'll shut up but this one makes me laugh very hard every time i read it. here is a sex spell

let me know if it works

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Zurtilik posted:

I'll go too sincere for a moment and say that I don't really want a thread like this here because magic is largely unfounded bullshit and doesn't really belong in the left leaning politics forum. But I am also a little annoyed that a non-insignificant number of people in this thread seem to view magic as some weird scam perpeutated by bored white ladies when it does actually have a long history in working class and oppressed communities and those communities were subject to ostracizing and violence from the forces in power, often not even out of a concern for bullshit but for them not believing in the same bullshit as the majority. (This bread is magically turned into flesh when the magic man mutters a prayer, type stuff.)
that's fine
all this thread needs from anyone who feels the same way is to exist and you to unbookmark it
both your parenthetical refs are great examples, the first acknowledges that thoughts become actions, which is literally the read communist theory vs do not. thread, and the second, which is on the subject of mantra, which is protest music, which is a cspam lens to post about music that would derail a thread in the music subforum and get told to go post in cspam about it. thinking it's a bullshit non-magically thing instead of actual magic , that's fine, just post in another thread then. peace and love

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I would way rather wield Chi blast etc then Puny western magic, that poo poo sucks rear end

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

I would be more sympathetic if this was the thread for discussing the dynamics of mysticism as support in working class communities versus its role in establishing and perpetuating systems of control, or some discussion of that nature.

Instead it pretty quickly became 'universal magicks are real, disbelievers are colonialists!' which, you know, leads here.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it aint weird to hate wizards

yesss let the hate flow through you

Homeless Friend posted:

Harry Potter but he's got two lightning bolts next to eachother

:popeye:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dont mind me magic lovers im just setting up this altar over here. puttin on some rituals, you know, that kind of earthy poo poo

oh what alter, hm???

just a little ol altar to CROM the god of BULLYING WIZARDS TO THEIR FUCKIN GRAVES

see this is primo idiot poo poo, crom only answers prayers with dooms and doesn't go for that weak trash. If you build an altar to crom you're going to get murdered

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

"magic is dangerous" is literally anyone who knows the first thing about the first subject and cares about your well being would tell you. there's a gun forum here dude. just dont post there??

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

fun hater posted:

uh huh. now i understand everything.

Wonderful.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

you're starting to get it

it's wizard posting time

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yesss let the hate flow through you

:popeye:

see this is primo idiot poo poo, crom only answers prayers with dooms and doesn't go for that weak trash. If you build an altar to crom you're going to get murdered

quietly shuffling the closet door shut on my crom funko pop shrine

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD-ervZJJHc

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nix Panicus posted:

I would be more sympathetic if this was the thread for discussing the dynamics of mysticism as support in working class communities versus its role in establishing and perpetuating systems of control, or some discussion of that nature.

Instead it pretty quickly became 'universal magicks are real, disbelievers are colonialists!' which, you know, leads here.

agree the first one is interesting and also there's some 1850s bullshit that set up a lot of long lasting erroneous concepts like 'universal magicks,' by for example taking the polynesian concept of mana (yes the same thing in video games, the video games got this from what leads backwards to some early anthropology bullshit) and incorrectly applying it to other cultures and also applying it incorrectly to the culture it itself formed in

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

I'll go too sincere for a moment and say that I don't really want a thread like this here because magic is largely unfounded bullshit and doesn't really belong in the left leaning politics forum.

i dont think that religion and tradition are “coloring outside the lines” in a politics and culture forum

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

You, an intellectual: Magic is basically positive psychology. Its speaking your intent into the world to find the energy to follow through. Its building up your confidence to affect change and focusing your willpower through the use of props, a shared sense of community, and the belief in a lineage to something greater than yourself

Me, a 12th level wizard: No you idiot. Magic is writing your name on sex candles to trick that hot waitress into sleeping with me

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i don’t feel that there is anything substantial here beyond practices warped and diminished to tchotchkes and novelties that serve cultural voyeurism and charlatans. magic is impossible when the natural world is so thoroughly destroyed and its human care takers were either eradicated or assimilated. the old ways are gone, and the few that practice them in this dying world aren’t posting here. this isn’t the place to respect them. get off the internet and go look at whatever wildlife and world is left near you if you want to see an echo of what once was. pick up some nearby garbage at the green belt. our legacy is one of ashes and the spirits no longer answer

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Squizzle posted:

i dont think that religion and tradition are “coloring outside the lines” in a politics and culture forum

I wouldn't say the stuff that gets roasted is usually in this category. Fundamentally, things like this are pinned down by community, culture, institutions, etc. It's like if we started ghost dancing, it'd be completely ripped out of its historical context and obviously yuppie or w/e

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

was thinking a lot recently about how we dont talk a lot anymore about distinct animating and intelligent spirits, when the idea crops up independently in a ton of disparate cultural contexts—e.g. ba/ka, hun/po, the lengthy christian discourse about spirit/soul as distinct

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Squizzle posted:

Eh, maybe. But I also don't really see the CSPAM Christianity thread and I also imagine it would go about as well.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Eh, maybe. But I also don't really see the CSPAM Christianity thread and I also imagine it would go about as well.

:justpost:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It's like praying. People draw the parallel between spells but it works out because it's part of a much larger set. Fake it till u make it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Zurtilik posted:

wouldn't you want that to exist. are you trying to cede christianity to the chuds lol is that how you think you're going to win

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i mean a Christianity thread where people talk about liberation theology would be fun im sure

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

extremely pathetic if true

The original OP was also aiming for ikship lmao. Their whole gimmick was doing tarot readings via PM.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

is it used by anyone who isn't neurotic, white, and middle class at a minimum though. not to mention fundamentally speaking it's all pretty retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The probe sucks.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if you are a member of clan tremere or blood-bound to a member of clan tremere you have to declare that itt

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

antitribu are a “grey area”

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The probe sucks.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The original OP was also aiming for ikship lmao. Their whole gimmick was doing tarot readings via PM.

lmao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The probe sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

is it used by anyone who isn't neurotic, white, and middle class at a minimum though. not to mention fundamentally speaking it's all pretty retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the reason that it sucks is it means now i can't respond without getting the last word for 6 hours lmao

the reason that it isn't used by anyone who isn't "neurotic, white, and middle class at a minimum though. not to mention fundamentally speaking it's all pretty retarded" is that imperialism murdered all the rest of them that you would have heard about? yeah no reason for that to have a thread in cspam lol