Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

nachos posted:

AC is better at virtual tourism and is like 2x longer. That’s all I can think of. Oh and the decade of rich lore spanning like 32 games.

The length is one of the worst things about the latest AC games. It’s like having a decent meal but then you have to keep eating the leftovers for the next two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah absolutely every single review of both Odyssey and Valhalla takes pain to stress how overly long and bloated these games are.

Making an 80 hours storyline is pointless if only 3-4 memorable things take place.

Sushi Ghost, I think, really does not overstay its welcome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey, I thought you enjoyed it!

It’s okay but I’ve never seen goons overrate something so much and I remember when TVIV was obsessed with Sex House

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
13 sentinels is great if you love sci fi and convoluted and complicated plots. Defintely one of the better games I’ve played this year

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Posting in Solidarity for Beanpole Peckerwood since apparently Portland is one of the hottest places on Earth.

To hot to game, I pray his day is full of cool, damp cloth rags and lots of iced tea

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Esco is lame, 13 Sentinels whips rear end

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lordfrikk posted:

The length is one of the worst things about the latest AC games. It’s like having a decent meal but then you have to keep eating the leftovers for the next two weeks.

I think ghost of Tsushima is 10 hours too long so I’m with you there. But I’m also not a content/dollar type of person. Most AC players probably are and don’t mind the length.

nachos fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Posting in Solidarity for Beanpole Peckerwood since apparently Portland is one of the hottest places on Earth.

To hot to game, I pray his day is full of cool, damp cloth rags and lots of iced tea

lol, just don't come to Seville (Spain) during summer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guillermus posted:

lol, just don't come to Seville (Spain) during summer.

portland may surpass spain's all-time high temperature within the week

planet's dying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress Portland is meant to get up to 46C tomorrow (115F)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does anyone here play any games
I beat DMC5 on Son of Sparda and I am currently winning more matches than I'm losing on VF5US online mode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/26/forget-days-gone-ghost-of-tsushima-is-sonys-worst-game-14831208/amp/

Someone in the UK wrote an Op-Ed about how Sushi Ghost is SONY’s worse title and it reads exactly like a Fridge Corn post lmao

I don’t hate the game but I agree with most of this tbh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/26/forget-days-gone-ghost-of-tsushima-is-sonys-worst-game-14831208/amp/

Someone in the UK wrote an Op-Ed about how Sushi Ghost is SONY’s worse title and it reads exactly like a Fridge Corn post lmao

quote:

In my opinion though Days Gone does slightly better in that it at least has an original gimmick, in the zombie hordes, and it’s not a straight copy of another game like Ghost Of Tsushima is.
lmao okay

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the original gimmick of “the most overused thing in modern media, but more”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are overused in movies but they don’t come up in games often.

Hell resident evil has basically moved away from them entirely

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t hate the game but I agree with most of this tbh.

I guess, I dunno, but to me someone hand waving away the graphics and the combat of Sushi Ghost away to complain about the story and the side quests having lovely writing is just extremely dumb. Like he starts off his letter with “this game has awesome combat and amazing graphics, but it’s SONY’s worst game!”

The graphics and the combat are WHY you would play Sushi Ghost.

They also complain that this isn’t as interesting as other parts of Japan’s history, it’s actually really boring because the lots of countries have been attacked by mongols… which is just like a huge weeb complaint.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ah yes, the more interesting parts of Japanese history. Like the Warring States or the Meiji Period, which comprise 99% of all Japanese historical period games. Yes those ones, the ones everyone else does! Tsushima should have been yet another goddamn Nobunaga Is An Evil Demon With Guns story or yet another sad frowning navelgazing epilogue to the age of Samurai.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think that’s a fair complaint the mongol Japanese war is definitely the least interesting of the mongol conflicts.

Hell at that point calling them Mongols is a bit misleading as they are firmly the Yuan dynasty at that point. And they never really threatened Japan seriously

The long war against Muhammad II and then his son now that’s paper

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though if you want Japanese history then Japanese invasion of Korea is interesting if a bid later and involves both Korea and China

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

lmao okay. Zombies are right up there with ninjas and other country's army guys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Midjack posted:

lmao okay

I know right? It’s one of those things that people think are more prominent than they are because people aren’t as clever as they think

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Just a total lie

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Freakers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess, I dunno, but to me someone hand waving away the graphics and the combat of Sushi Ghost away to complain about the story and the side quests having lovely writing is just extremely dumb. Like he starts off his letter with “this game has awesome combat and amazing graphics, but it’s SONY’s worst game!”

The graphics and the combat are WHY you would play Sushi Ghost.

They also complain that this isn’t as interesting as other parts of Japan’s history, it’s actually really boring because the lots of countries have been attacked by mongols… which is just like a huge weeb complaint.

The thing is the graphics are good, and the combat is quite good (although that style isn’t my favorite) and that is worth something, but the mission design bored the hell out of me, the gameplay loop didn’t grab me and the story wasn’t terrible but it didn’t really do anything for me either. I was in a perpetual state of “slightly bored” the entire time I played it.

I’m don’t think it’s bad and I think calling it the “worst” is unfair, because for people that like that type of game it’s one of the best. But I can’t stand that Ubisoft approach to game design to begin with and it really felt more in that style than even days gone, which I enjoyed a lot more even if I don’t actually think it’s the better game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
sushi ghost is so good that any time i'm playing any other open world adventure game i'm thinking "why am i not playing sushi ghost"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Father - Death Stranding
The Son - Sushi Ghost
The Holy Ghost - Nier Replicant

amen

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Honest question: why do you do this

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
bust rodd is a spectrum. a land of contrasts. a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a shitpost. some say he once posted a meme just to see it die.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Simone Magus posted:

bust rodd is a spectrum. a land of contrasts. a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a shitpost. some say he once posted a meme just to see it die.

All valid points but my question remains unanswered. :mad:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I’m don’t think it’s bad and I think calling it the “worst” is unfair, because for people that like that type of game it’s one of the best. But I can’t stand that Ubisoft approach to game design to begin with and it really felt more in that style than even days gone, which I enjoyed a lot more even if I don’t actually think it’s the better game.

I don’t feel like Ubisoft open world designs are appreciably different from good open world games, I think what makes Ubisoft games bad is the boring gameplay and basic combat. Horizon and Sushi and Days Gone all use the same exact mission/map/crafting structure as lovely Ubisoft games like Far Cry and Assassin’s Creed, but the SONY games are fun and they have engaging combat systems with far, far superior characters.

Dewgy posted:

Honest question: why do you do this

because that’s how SONY writes their name in all of my video games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t feel like Ubisoft open world designs are appreciably different from good open world games, I think what makes Ubisoft games bad is the boring gameplay and basic combat. Horizon and Sushi and Days Gone all use the same exact mission/map/crafting structure as lovely Ubisoft games like Far Cry and Assassin’s Creed, but the SONY games are fun and they have engaging combat systems with far, far superior characters.

I don't think you understand why I play games or what I enjoy in open world games. First and foremost to me, exploration is king. If a game can make me want to explore the minutia of it's world, that is what is going to sell me on an open world game (this is probably why I'm so fond of BOTW, Dark Souls, Metro Exodus etc. but none of those remotely fall into the generic western open world formula) . I want a game to spark a curousity in me, where I spot something in the distance and I'm not sure quite what it's going to be or what's going to happen when I get there, but I have to check it out. Having good combat mechanics etc is a big plus, but at the end of the day I really enjoyed games like RDR2, TW3, and even Cyberunk, despite all of them having some mechanical stuff that I thought was sort of crap. There's cool stuff to check out all over, a lot of variety in the map, little side things that lead to interesting stories etc. And then there's stuff like horizon which has a lot of that but the combat is also good. And days gone, while not the best game did some stuff that made me enjoy it quite a bit. I liked the abandoned small town feel, I could rummage around al the houses for stuff, which were more than just facades like in many open world games, early on when you aren't very powerful enemies are pretty dangerous and it feels a bit like TLOU, later on you are mowing down hordes which is also fun...All that stuff worked for me. And it didn't feel like an ubisoft game at all imo.

GOT on the other hand just straight up felt like AC to me and all of the things I don't like about it. Extremely gamey and predictable objectives. There's really no surprises. You see a fox on the map and you know you are going to chase a fox around for a minute and you'll get an upgrade. Side mission's are almost all some variant of "someone did something bad, go find them 50 feet away and kill them for me. thanks!" I never cared about why I was doing anything. And the longer quest for the side characters had a bit more effort put into them but imo they just dragged. my eyes were glazing over after chasing the apprentice for the 8th time. The map is beautiful, but there isn't much cool to find or interact with. a lot of pretty, empty wilderness and copy/paste huts and bandit camps for the most part. They almost all looked and played the same.

And tbh, I didn't even love the combat. I recognize it's good. But it's very much rooted in arkham style combat which just isn't my thing. Feels too automated and rhythmic for me. I did enjoy it but not nearly as much as a game where I can just straight whack stuff with a sword like dark souls or whatever.

it's not the formula that's the problem, it's that games like GOT and most Ubisoft stuff don't do anything with it that caters to my personal tastes at all. Feels like checking boxes and I can't be arsed to care about what I am doing at all.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 28, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Simone Magus posted:

some say he once posted a meme just to see it die.

lmao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

:eyepop: stay cool bp and anyone else in pnw.

drat, i remember summer of 2019 when it hit 30-32 in the uk and i got out of a airconned car and i felt like sarah conner when the nuke hits in her dream

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lmao have you play resident evil 8 my good goon. Zombies with swords in that one.

And the last two re games released before that? Set in racoon city? Well...

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I think they are specifically talking about zombie hordes, not just zombies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the massive horde thing was really only used in Days Gone and WWZ as far as I know. Probably because of previous limitations. It is actually pretty novel to have 500 zombies chasing you at once in a game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also you're dealing with lycans in RE8. You haven't had to deal with straight up zombies since like, 6 I think? I don't know about the side games. 4 had Las Plagas, 5 was Majini but 6 had actual normal zombies in Leon's campaign at the very least I'm sure.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

That's like 15 to 20 days in summer in Sevilla. Being over 40°C is just the norm in here. It sucks and you can only hide from it with air conditioning at home and also pay a gently caress all bill because we got a 44% increase on the price of electricity.

Hint: do not come to the south of Spain during summer to a city with no beach.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
America is en fuego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

which thread veteran, nay, thread LEGEND, wants to mail me a copy of Resi8 across the atlantic