Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Memento posted:

The new wiki layout is loving dreadful. What prompts people to decide that ignoring the outside fifths of a widescreen monitor is a good thing?

Do you really expand a single browser window to fill a widescreen monitor? How do your eyes skip back to read text 20 inches away when you get to a new line? That's basically peripheral vision at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Memento posted:

The new wiki layout is loving dreadful. What prompts people to decide that ignoring the outside fifths of a widescreen monitor is a good thing?

It's an overhaul to make every Fandom wiki layout look the same and it looks really bad everywhere. The Binding of Isaac wiki got hit hard and some of the articles are borderline unreadable. Runescape wiki did the smart thing by cutting ties to Fandom years ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Devor posted:

Do you really expand a single browser window to fill a widescreen monitor? How do your eyes skip back to read text 20 inches away when you get to a new line? That's basically peripheral vision at that point.

Well done on missing the point completely. The previous config meant that you could have the text on the left side of the screen, the info box on the right, the gif of how a particular item worked below the info box, and a contents section that you could click onto from anywhere.

Previously the Class Guides page had melee, ranged, magic, summoner, mixed across the page. Now you get three, and the other two are below it, and the columns where there's two don't expand to fill the available space. It's a massive regression in accessibility.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Memento posted:

Well done on missing the point completely. The previous config meant that you could have the text on the left side of the screen, the info box on the right, the gif of how a particular item worked below the info box, and a contents section that you could click onto from anywhere.

Previously the Class Guides page had melee, ranged, magic, summoner, mixed across the page. Now you get three, and the other two are below it, and the columns where there's two don't expand to fill the available space. It's a massive regression in accessibility.

Sorry, from your post about screen width, I figured the issue was screen width and not about the number of columns being enforced

Yeah, that sucks that there are fewer formatting options. Let folks get real crazy with the CSS

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fandom is a pain especially since google ranks them highest in the search results even when all they have is a placeholder page for a game and there’s a better wiki hosted elsewhere.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What happened to the Gamepedia wiki??

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

What happened to the Gamepedia wiki??

Gamepedia was bought up by FANDOM and merged with Wikia.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Yeah they've definitely narrowed it down. I'm pretty sure that vertical ad space is more valuable than horizontal due to its greater effectiveness.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We managed to get to post plantera and I almost immediately got a godly call of Cthulhu so the melee set is going extremely well. I’ve been really lucky with drops so while my friends keep farming the dumb stuff they need I’ve managed to make almost a complete ranged set as well. I probably need a better gun, hoping I can get one from alien invasions or something.

Not sure what we’ll do once we beat the game, I assume we’ll just stop and play something else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

Gamepedia was bought up by FANDOM and merged with Wikia.
gently caress :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anything interesting happen in the Terraria mod scene recently or is everybody still waiting for 1.4 tmodloader?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I'm waiting for TModloader 1.4. They're making progress but it's anyone's guess when it'll get released.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Anything interesting happen in the Terraria mod scene recently or is everybody still waiting for 1.4 tmodloader?

There's still some 1.3.5 mods happening but most everyone's still waiting on 1.4 tml.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Terraria for Switch is $15 US at the moment. I was going to get a copy but, and this may sound petty, but given how far behind the PC version it is with no comprehensive update in sight, that turned me off.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I got it for something like $2 or $3 for PC, so feel free to hold out for that.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
There's SO much in 1.4 that I wouldn't bet on an older version with no update timeline.

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there a chess mod for terraria, because if there isn't, there should be

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vizuyos posted:

There's SO much in 1.4 that I wouldn't bet on an older version with no update timeline.

This was exactly my thought process. I did some research and whoever is doing the console versions and there's no news, no updates, no real direction. The flagship PC version will probably never see another update (that's not a criticism, just a statement of likely fact) and if the Switch version ever catches up I will buy a copy, but I see no reason to think that that will ever be soon. I realise that 3 years passed from 1.3.5.3 (current console version) until 1.4, but it's been 14 months since 1.4 hit with no real concrete news.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

They've said Q3 2021 for Terraria 1.4 on consoles, with Switch being a little behind XBox and Playstation. Once that's done, they're going to try to implement cross-play between platforms where possible ("no promises").

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I got it for something like $2 or $3 for PC, so feel free to hold out for that.

:hfive:

I want to say I got Terraria for something like $1.74 during a Steam Sale price bug.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1416200350504308739]

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

tmodloader for 1.4 is out in an alpha now

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Sweet. Waiting for updates to Calamity & Thorium.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

tmodloader for 1.4 is out in an alpha now

:bubblewoop:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

1.4 for Playstation and XBox will be submitted to Sony/Microsoft on August 25th. Switch version will be submitted later this year.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LLCoolJD posted:

1.4 for Playstation and XBox will be submitted to Sony/Microsoft on August 25th. Switch version will be submitted later this year.

Is that base 1.4.0.1, or the current desktop version 1.4.2.3?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I think it's going to be something in between. Pretty much everything after this will go toward trying to get all ports to cross-play compatibility.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

So the Journey's End patches have been submitted to Microsoft and Sony. I wonder whether there'll be much difference in approval time for XBox and Playstation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Terraria is 50% off again on Switch. Any news on it getting an update?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Terraria is 50% off again on Switch. Any news on it getting an update?

The monthly State of the Game's on Terrarias forums have updates on how far all the console 1.4's are: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-state-of-the-game-august-2021.107119/#console

quote:

NINTENDO SWITCH

Work is officially underway on bringing the awesomeness of Journey's End to Nintendo Switch. We do not have an exact time to give you just yet, but here's a screenshot of Zenith doing its thing on Switch! Once we get a bit deeper in, we will have an update on timing for you. Stay tuned!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terraria Journey's End will be out on Xbox and Playstation on September 30.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mayveena posted:

Terraria Journey's End will be out on Xbox and Playstation on September 30.

Bleh

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It doesn't load on the Xbox, goes to 'syncing files' and stays there. Unbelievable they could release it like this.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
It works fine PS4 but oh boy getting reacquainted with the controls on this game is going to take time

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm pretty sure consoles can use a mouse and keyboard for Terraria now, if you've got them handy.

But yeah, plenty of people reporting the Xbox release is turbofucked

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Memento posted:

I'm pretty sure consoles can use a mouse and keyboard for Terraria now, if you've got them handy.

But yeah, plenty of people reporting the Xbox release is turbofucked

Are there mouse & keyboards that work on Switch? I had no idea.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JustJeff88 posted:

Are there mouse & keyboards that work on Switch? I had no idea.

I'm not sure if Terraria supports it on switch yet, but they've got USB ports, plug in your mouse and keyboard and try it out. kb&m controls work in system menus and for entering text on the Switch for sure.

It's definitely supported on PS and Xbox.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well the syncing thing is fixed. but I cannot get a female character without a beard because the sex choice doesn't work. First world problems of course, but it would be nice to have a female character without a beard.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dwarves only mode

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The devs have said that they weren't allowed to beta test (publicly) the new patch because it's not paid DLC, and the bad bugs didn't show up in their internal testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So there is going to be a Terraria and Don't Starve collab.