Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

silvergoose posted:

The one with the guy laughing hysterically saying zendo was picked round one was the best though

What's the story here, I'm not familiar with zendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the story here, I'm not familiar with zendo

Zendo rocks.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I want to get Oath, but I don't have the group to support it. :smith:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

That Matrix game seems cool but 250$ is a steep ask as I do not have a job (this placement is part of my University course) and my parents are going to be the ones footing the bill and a bunch of mid-range/cheaper games will go down easier.

That is an awesome idea though and I will write it down for the future.

Free matrix games https://paxsims.wordpress.com/tag/matrix-games/

Aftershock https://paxsims.wordpress.com/aftershock/aftershock-faqs/

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 1, 2021

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
SU&SD does Oath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYNFiJ6xLo

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Just played my first New York Zoo game with the family. Cool little game, Rosenberg sure knows how to do Cardboard Tetris© right.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Zendo is really good and people are just bitter and jealous I picked it. Also it wasn't round one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Zendo is really good and people are just bitter and jealous I picked it. Also it wasn't round one.

I don't have a good memory, but the memes were still funny.

This was in the board game draft!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eraflure posted:

Just played my first New York Zoo game with the family. Cool little game, Rosenberg sure knows how to do Cardboard Tetris© right.

Eraflure posted:

1) read the latest posts
2) meerkat meeples
3) instantly order New York Zoo

I hate this thread.

The system works :slick:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

The system works :slick:

I didn't like New York Zoo. I was hoping to, but it felt limp.

Merz Verlag just announced that Spiel Digital is on again this year, this time running alongside a reduced physical show. I'm thinking this is going to be the standard practice going forward, even after the pandemic has passed and the fair is back up to full scale. I'd still attend in person if it were possible because there's nothing like it, but getting to go hands on with the games is at least an acceptable substitute if you can't make it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I already have Barenpark, Isle of Cats, and Patchwork. Does New York Zoo do things differently enough to warrant adding another polyomino game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

armorer posted:

I already have Barenpark, Isle of Cats, and Patchwork. Does New York Zoo do things differently enough to warrant adding another polyomino game?

Real answer: Not really no.

Collector's answer: Animal meeples

That come in this cool rear end tray

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Grand Carnival is a polyomino game that really doesn't get enough love.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Okay thanks, I think I will pass then. Those are some grade A meeples, but that's not enough to warrant me adding it to the shelf.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Flameeples

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Infinitum posted:

The parts are really cool - and that’s enough to get my six year old to play it. I also have isle of cats but thats a little more complex than she likes. Haven’t played barenpark, but I do have patchwork.

One thing I will say is that people who don’t game regularly pick New York Zoo up quickly, which is valuable for a game that can play five people in under an hour without being total filler.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh sweet, this really helped; Oath is not for me.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Anyone got recommendation for some two player board games my fiance and I can play?

Also accepting any tips on how to find Quacks of Quedlinberg that isn't hella overpriced because that game rules.

If you still haven't ordered Quacks, my pre-order from CMYK games just shipped. The game and its expansions are showing in stock there now:
https://www.cmyk.games/collections/games/products/the-quacks-of-quedlinburg

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I guess this is the best place to ask, please let me know if not, but does anyone have any of the BSG expansions that they would be willing to part with for not insane amounts of money? Been playing it with my group in Australia and they're loving it.
As a bonus fun fact, my wife knows the editor from the mini series, and it was actually Edward James Olmos who came up with the 'so say we all' line. The original script was 'so say all of us' but Olmos felt that was too close to the song to be taken seriously, so he changed it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask, please let me know if not, but does anyone have any of the BSG expansions that they would be willing to part with for not insane amounts of money? Been playing it with my group in Australia and they're loving it.
As a bonus fun fact, my wife knows the editor from the mini series, and it was actually Edward James Olmos who came up with the 'so say we all' line. The original script was 'so say all of us' but Olmos felt that was too close to the song to be taken seriously, so he changed it.

wow, well, he wouldn't have been wrong

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

homullus posted:

wow, well, he wouldn't have been wrong

Yeah, you can say that again! If they had gone with the original line, I'm not sure if I would've been able to hold a straight face through that big "so say we all" scene :D

Also, I'm finally able to play Fury of Dracula this weekend! I'll be Drac of course, as I'm the only player with some experience playing the game. :drac:
Hopefully I can hold it all together, and sneak away with the win!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got in my first game of Feast For Odin tonight, thanks so much to the last few pages for the hints. I lost 88-77 and we were definitely figuring things out on by the fourth round where we screwed up logically in the first few. Game is good, IMO!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just won a copy of The Quacks of Quedlinburg from a local game store here in Aus :swoon:

Deathlove posted:

Got in my first game of Feast For Odin tonight, thanks so much to the last few pages for the hints. I lost 88-77 and we were definitely figuring things out on by the fourth round where we screwed up logically in the first few. Game is good, IMO!

It rules that more people are getting in Odin.

What did you screw up out of curiosity?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Played a first game of 18Lilliput last night which ended up being a lot more fun than I'd expected based on reading the rulebook. I haven't played any 18xx games before (and I know this only shares some of the mechanics with full 18xx games) but it was good to get a sense of what would be involved in the bigger games as it confirmed that they're probably not for me just because of the play time and relative complexity of decision making over that period. I can certainly see the appeal though as we all really enjoyed the shares, trains and route building system and also felt quite constrained by the limits that Lilliput puts around many of these elements that I understand are not there in 18xx games. I could definitely see us playing this one again as it felt a lot more accessible to our group who are into a lot of economic euros - this had a very similar feel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kerro posted:

we all really enjoyed the shares, trains and route building system

how long was Lilli? Because if you enjoyed these aspects the shorter 18XXs would probably be a hit for you as well. I've heard Lilli is too long for what it is so that's why I ask because you may already be in the time and complexity range and not even know it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So I am bored as fuuuuuck on lockdown, so I've been reading a bunch of game news! And now I'm gonna post cool poo poo.

-------------------------------
Firstly it looks like we're gonna get the band back together for Round 4 of Fury of Dracula, which will likely be streamed live next week.

Will Dracula actually win a game? Lets find out :v:

-------------------------------

Fort is getting an expansion! Cats and Dogs!
It's modular so you can add Cats or Dogs, or both! This is an insta pickup for me, because I loving love Fort.

--------------------------------

Reiner Knizia appears to be suing Grail Games, a publisher here in Australia
He is suing for breach of contract, as they were allegedly selling games in other regions.

The reason this might be of interest to people ITT is that they recently just finished their Fjords KS campaign which raised almost $250k AUD

Comments on KS say everythings going fine

Should be one to keep an eye on though.

Came across this video outlining Great Western Trail 2nd Edition details, and it looks dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxD6vohAQhM

Definitely piqued my "I know this game is good, and I probably want it in my collection at some point" meter :nyoron:

Lastly be sure to check out fellow Goon Frozen Peach's KS that is up at the moment - :siren: Heckin Hounds :siren:

If you like Hanabi, Dogs, or Being Mediocre go check it out!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Bottom Liner posted:

how long was Lilli? Because if you enjoyed these aspects the shorter 18XXs would probably be a hit for you as well. I've heard Lilli is too long for what it is so that's why I ask because you may already be in the time and complexity range and not even know it.

It took us about two and a half hours for a three player game but I imagine we could knock at least an hour off that time for repeat plays as I had to teach the game and we referenced the rule book quite a few times in the initial rounds as we were working it out. It did feel like it ran a little longer than it needed to, a couple of us were mostly just running trains for the last two rounds as we ended up with not too much to do that would dramatically improve our position, though that could also be our fault for thinking the game was ending sooner than it was and so not continuing to invest sufficiently in our companies.

For us three hours is at the very upper limit of what our game nights can accommodate which I think would be a challenge from what I've read about 18xx (even if it can be reduced to that time frame with repeat plays, that doesn't help us if the first few games are going to run longer since we so rarely have more time)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

18MS is the one I'd always go to for a "make sure it fits in a game night" game, fwiw.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Theron posted:

I’m so angry at myself for not buying the expansions way back when…. I thought they were too expensive then :corsair:

On another note, thanks everyone for the Quacks recommendation! Just ordered it from CMYK the other day and already have a shipping notice! Also ordered The Resistance and Space Alert :D

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

What did you screw up out of curiosity?

I'd say just the basic "holy poo poo there are so many options what am I going to do" and not lasering in on a concept/engine fast enough. Also laid down money to get bonuses on islands that I should have saved! Felt like I was Poor the entire game, not really a lot of spaces on the board to Get Fast Cash. I'd say I lost because I got to round 6 or 7 and still had knarrs and longboats but couldn't afford to emigrate with them; getting one done would have point-swung me into a win.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Deathlove posted:

I'd say just the basic "holy poo poo there are so many options what am I going to do" and not lasering in on a concept/engine fast enough. Also laid down money to get bonuses on islands that I should have saved! Felt like I was Poor the entire game, not really a lot of spaces on the board to Get Fast Cash. I'd say I lost because I got to round 6 or 7 and still had knarrs and longboats but couldn't afford to emigrate with them; getting one done would have point-swung me into a win.

Saving money is usually the wrong answer and getting bonuses on islands is usually the right answer.

One "aha!" moment on the path from getting scores sub 90 to getting scores over 130 was "wait, if I cover a -1 with a silver to get a bonus, it's actually costing me nothing...." so throwing down, e.g. 4 silver to get a bonus while covering two -1s is usually a good move, especially if you're going to hit that bonus 3-4x still in the game. Likewise, buying a ship with silver doesn't actually have any cost beyond opportunity cost, and when you consider that beside the actions and resources that go into building a ship...

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kerro posted:

For us three hours is at the very upper limit of what our game nights can accommodate which I think would be a challenge from what I've read about 18xx (even if it can be reduced to that time frame with repeat plays, that doesn't help us if the first few games are going to run longer since we so rarely have more time)

I think there’s some 18xx that could accomodate you but i’d play Lilliput more if you are enjoying it. Think about what you like and would like to see expanded on mechanically and the thread can probably give you a recommendation. There’s definitely 18xx that can fit in 2.5 hours even on a first play, but you need to not spend 1-2 minutes thinking about every decision, that’s what really adds to the playtime.

Do you have poker chips or did you play with paper money? Chips also help speed up revenues and such a lot.

1849, 1889, 1882 are all good shorter 18xx that are good with 3-4 players that I’d recommend without reservation and are “easily” obtained (for 18xx). Also 1889 should be getting a kickstarter later this year which should be a much lower entry price.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Theron posted:

I have BSG and all the expansions and don’t play it anymore. I could definitely part with it but I live in Canada so the shipping would be insanely expensive. Shoot me a DM if you’re still interested.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Theron posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask, please let me know if not, but does anyone have any of the BSG expansions that they would be willing to part with for not insane amounts of money?

There's also a Cthulhuverse rethemed version coming, obviously without Olmos and company.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's also a Cthulhuverse rethemed version coming, obviously without Olmos and company.

Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is the only Arkham files game I enjoy (and I really, really enjoy it!) but I'm buying this day one because I absolutely love BSG.

I hope it has Lily Chen as a playable character. Punching cosmic horrors never gets old.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Fellis posted:

I think there’s some 18xx that could accomodate you but i’d play Lilliput more if you are enjoying it. Think about what you like and would like to see expanded on mechanically and the thread can probably give you a recommendation. There’s definitely 18xx that can fit in 2.5 hours even on a first play, but you need to not spend 1-2 minutes thinking about every decision, that’s what really adds to the playtime.

Do you have poker chips or did you play with paper money? Chips also help speed up revenues and such a lot.

1849, 1889, 1882 are all good shorter 18xx that are good with 3-4 players that I’d recommend without reservation and are “easily” obtained (for 18xx). Also 1889 should be getting a kickstarter later this year which should be a much lower entry price.

We used paper money which was definitely a bit slow. I have a couple sets of iron clays but not in denominations high enough for this.

I think we most enjoyed the route building and train manipulation aspects of the game (i.e the decision about when to upgrade trains and how many, and knowing how that would impact on other player's trains becoming obsolete or rusted). We liked the decision making around when to start new companies and the ability to 'piggy back' off others by buying shares in their companies, but I think our group would probably less enjoy aspects of the stock /share system that are focused on deliberately harming others. We tend to particularly enjoy games that have that kind of symbiotic (or parasitic) interaction between players like Brass, Barrage etc but didn't enjoy so much something like FCM where you can undercut or compete with someone to the point that they can be effectively eliminated.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is the only Arkham files game I enjoy (and I really, really enjoy it!) but I'm buying this day one because I absolutely love BSG.

I hope it has Lily Chen as a playable character. Punching cosmic horrors never gets old.

Lily Chen is coming to the Arkham Horror LCG next set, but the game also has Nathaniel Cho, a boxer who punches cosmic horrors. I think he was invented just for the card game. Lily Chen won't be in Unfathomable because it takes place years before any other Arkham game.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Infinitum posted:

Lastly be sure to check out fellow Goon Frozen Peach's KS that is up at the moment - :siren: Heckin Hounds :siren:

If you like Hanabi, Dogs, or Being Mediocre go check it out!

I've been told it's the best card game my old work friend has played since Love Letter, which is high praise. He even assured me that he wasn't just saying that because we were friends, so you know it's legit.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
All this talk about FFO makes me really sad I no longer have my old copy. Had a quick look online and it doesn't seem available at the moment, at least here in Australia. Time to start looking for it secondhand I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KongGeorgeVII posted:

All this talk about FFO makes me really sad I no longer have my old copy. Had a quick look online and it doesn't seem available at the moment, at least here in Australia. Time to start looking for it secondhand I guess.

https://www.boardgameoracle.com/en-AU/boardgame/price/noh2bHxMZ2/a-feast-for-odin

Enjoy.

Keep Oracle in your list of favs.