Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

senrath posted:

Was Kirby the one who considered video games of GW IP to be direct competitors, as well as once claiming that they had "outlived" RPGs?

Yes. Famously, "How about other games like Pokémon or role-playing games? (Who can remember them, now?)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So how does the Age of Sigmar RPG compare to say, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? Or is that a bad comparison

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've slowly started easing back into 9th Age, the player designed edition of WHFB. I gave up after End Times and sold my stuff.

The rules mostly seem clear, there's no lore to speak of, and magic is way toned down. I like it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

So how does the Age of Sigmar RPG compare to say, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? Or is that a bad comparison

WFRP started off as pretty much OSR D&D meets Call of Cthulhu. There's this Holy Roman Empire expy that's not only surrounded by hordes of hosed up enemies, but is also ravaged on the inside by the plague of bandits, ratmen, mutants, Chaos cultists and so forth. Most players will start off in careers like Rat Catcher, Charlatan, Bailiff and Grave Robber and will be doing jobs that might eventually leave them mutilated and insane.

Age of Sigmar is more like D&D meets Exalted. The starting characters are like level 10 D&D character-strong. AoS takes place after Chaos won and blew the whole world. Sigmar, the king-god of humans managed to retreat into a safe space with some forces of Order and now finally has built up enough strength to strike back. Your party of Fantasy Space Marine, Iron Man But Dwarf, Also Dwarf But Slathers Himself In Magic Gold While Only Wearing Underpants, Murder Treeent and Kinda Evil But Very Hot Goth She-Elf go out into the eight interconnected Planescape-esque planes, one for each of trad WFRP's Winds of Magic, which comprise the new world and fight the forces of Chaos, Death and Destruction to carve out some lebensraum for the mortals in your care.

Let's drunkenly brawl in a bunch of sewage!

Okay, so you dismantle the left army and I'll make a skull pyramid out of the right one.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 1, 2021

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did GW ever rerelease their Warmaster stuff?

So there hasn't been any sort of rerelease of Warmaster, whether rules or models.

However, there is a dedicated group out there who have taken some of the rules from Warmaster Ancients (the "historical" Warmaster) and folded then into the original rules, calling it Warmaster Revolution. There's a fairly active Facebook group where people talk about the game, and I've heard of a forum for experimental rules, bug fixes and errata, but I haven't seen an actual link to it just yet.

As for the models, between Kickstarters from Cromarty Forge, Black Gate and others, Patreons/Gumroads such as Onmioji, Ankylo and Forest Dragon, and the proliferation of 3d resin printers in general, armies have been easier to find than ever, assuming you're not looking for original GW pewter. There's also a Tabletop Simulator plug in for Warmaster as well, in case you're still not sure about heading out into the world with the whole pandemic thing.

There's been rumors that Warhammer: The Old World is going to be another have in the style of Warmaster, but nothing concrete as of yet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
From a pure rules standpoint, what would you say is the best miniatures game around spaceship battles? I'm sure many would say X-Wing, but I would love some alternative, because its model of 'buy ships you don't want to get cards you do want' (or make proxies) turns me off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Imagined posted:

From a pure rules standpoint, what would you say is the best miniatures game around spaceship battles? I'm sure many would say X-Wing, but I would love some alternative, because its model of 'buy ships you don't want to get cards you do want' (or make proxies) turns me off.

If you're just looking for a game to play with friends, print the cards off. X-Wing is great, though I stopped playing a couple years ago due to non-game related reasons.

If you're looking for league play, I'm sure there are plenty of players that won't mind loaning cards for the evening once you're established as a decent person

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, nothing has been getting saved. Part of what put a damper on continuing my review for a while.

Do what I do and repost all of your reviews on every other tabletop webforum. Or at least the popular ones. This does a great job at not only increasing how many people view your work, it has a better chance at "immortalizing" your posts on the off chance Lowtax gets his revenges and blows up SA.

Or just save all of your docs in Google Drive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is there something us mods can do, to ensure that good content from the fatal thread isn't lost forever somehow? At the very least, that thread could be goldmined whenever one is retired for the next?

e. do you think inklesspen just doesn't want to archive that sort of stuff on that site, or maybe they could be asked nicely to include this sort of thing?

Just brainstorming ideas here. I never want someone to feel like not providing good posts. I want to be a remover of obstacles if I can.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 2, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leperflesh posted:

Is there something us mods can do, to ensure that good content from the fatal thread isn't lost forever somehow? At the very least, that thread could be goldmined whenever one is retired for the next?

e. do you think inklesspen just doesn't want to archive that sort of stuff on that site, or maybe they could be asked nicely to include this sort of thing?

Just brainstorming ideas here. I never want someone to feel like not providing good posts. I want to be a remover of obstacles if I can.

Last I Heard inklesspen like the rest of us is just exhausted by the pandemic, and they did transfer the F&F archive to a new site with better architecture around march this year so it's not like it's abandoned, just slow. Maybe reach out to them to see if there is something that can be done to help make it easier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how forums infrastructure really works but at the minimum the thread should be preserved and accessible in here and if goldmining the thread can do that, I'm all for it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Libertad! posted:

Do what I do and repost all of your reviews on every other tabletop webforum. Or at least the popular ones. This does a great job at not only increasing how many people view your work, it has a better chance at "immortalizing" your posts on the off chance Lowtax gets his revenges and blows up SA.

Or just save all of your docs in Google Drive.

I write everything in Docs before I post it in that thread, so we're covered there.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Last I heard, archiving the forum on inklesspen's website is still a heavily manual process -- maybe there's some sort of formatting we could enforce going forward which would make it easier to automate.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

potatocubed posted:

Last I heard, archiving the forum on inklesspen's website is still a heavily manual process -- maybe there's some sort of formatting we could enforce going forward which would make it easier to automate.

The LP Archive has scripting and infrastructure for archiving screenshot Let's Plays. Perhaps this could be extended to other types of image-heavy threads?

I always wished the goldmine would archive threads in a similar way, so we don't lose the images later.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

Inklesspen uses some code to scrape the thread and repost it, but I think part of the challenge is that you have to manually filter out the discussion posts from the write ups. It's part of why Inklesspen has asked in the past for there to be some clear headers and ideally some images to make the write-ups stand out.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I thought it was acceptable to include discussion posts in the review posts if they were a direct response to other people talking about the game, and added something to the review.

If it makes it harder to archive I'll do those replies as separate posts from now on.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's probably too cumbersome but PYF has a section where you create a thread and no one can post in it but yourself. Something like that for the reviews and then a link in the discussion thread could keep things neat and tidy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Note that a significant chunk of waffleimages has been restored due to astral's heroic work. There's still a lot missing and much of it will never be recovered; and I think tinypic is still gone too, and of course imageshack. So the concern about losing images is a real one, who knows if imgur will last forever or what. astral has plans for the future for improving image hosting options here (right now if you attach an image to a post, and you can only attach one, it's stored in the DB in a very stupid way, so expanding that functionality has to wait for a fix to how the site handles images in the first place) but in the meantime, if you can't self-host, imgur is still probably the safest bet.

The LP archiver I believe depends on the idea that the OP of a thread will be the author of all its content, which is not a thing we can rely on for FATAL & Friends obviously, so scraping based on some other signifier is necessary. The scraper may still be a useful tool though, and maybe it could be modified or has special capabilities I'm unaware-of.

re: Goldmining, what that really does is keep a thread permanently out of the archives. If you have Plat, you can read stuff in the archives, and I don't know if that's likely to change. There's also the Goodmine, which is probably the actual place I'd move a FATAL & Friends thread, since it's not really a comedy thread, but it accomplishes basically the same task.

And as a tangent to that: whenever we retire a thread in TG we should consider whether it's a candidate for goodmine/goldmine, so please don't hesitate to speak up to a TG mod when that happens if you think a thread deserves that honor.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

mellonbread posted:

I thought it was acceptable to include discussion posts in the review posts if they were a direct response to other people talking about the game, and added something to the review.

If it makes it harder to archive I'll do those replies as separate posts from now on.

It's been a while but I think the point was that you have to start the post with the review and then have discussions/ answering questions etc. afterwards because otherwise it won't look like a review at first glance.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Hel posted:

It's been a while but I think the point was that you have to start the post with the review and then have discussions/ answering questions etc. afterwards because otherwise it won't look like a review at first glance.
Okay good, that's what I've been doing. Also starting every review post with the same header image and some bold text. I was just imitating everyone else but it appears that was the correct choice.

Leperflesh posted:

And as a tangent to that: whenever we retire a thread in TG we should consider whether it's a candidate for goodmine/goldmine, so please don't hesitate to speak up to a TG mod when that happens if you think a thread deserves that honor.
I'm struggling to think of top-tier threads that should be archived, because so much discussion ends up focused in megathreads/generals. You might have a great conversation but that's one page in a hundred page discussion going back years.

It is a helpful reminder that I should post more in the smaller threads about specific topics.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nuns with Guns posted:

Inklesspen uses some code to scrape the thread and repost it, but I think part of the challenge is that you have to manually filter out the discussion posts from the write ups. It's part of why Inklesspen has asked in the past for there to be some clear headers and ideally some images to make the write-ups stand out.

Yeah, I was thinking something as simple as 'every writeup post starts with GOONREVIEWS on a line on its own' (or something) so the scraper can automatically recognise them. It's not a perfect system since it a) relies on people remembering to put that in place and b) has exactly zero protections from hijack or abuse, but something along those lines?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
What about a wiki through a free wiki service like pbwiki and storing it all there?

E: Oh, I missed there is already an off-site backup.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I was thinking something as simple as 'every writeup post starts with GOONREVIEWS on a line on its own' (or something) so the scraper can automatically recognise them. It's not a perfect system since it a) relies on people remembering to put that in place and b) has exactly zero protections from hijack or abuse, but something along those lines?
Asking people to append an easily recognizable tag to their post would be a good thing to put in the OP of a new F&F thread. I don't expect abuse would be that common, but I can understand the mods not wanting to constantly deal with reports every time someone misuses a tag.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mellonbread posted:

I think so long as it's obvious in some way that a post is part of the update chain, like there's a header up top, then it's fine? It's been a while so I don't remember all the specifics of how Inklesspen's process works. It might depend though. If you're replying to people with some clarifying information you want included in the archive, you might want to add your replies to an update post after, or save a few big ones for a Q&A section in the next update.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I didn't see a "recommend me an RPG"-type thread, apologies if I missed it. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for anything matching the following criteria:

~ works well with a low playercount, i.e. 3 (GM and two players). Obviously any decent system can be made to work for groups of varying size, but I'm wondering if there are games floating around there that have elements (or even were specifically designed) for low player count.
~ mid-to-shallow mechanics w/o a shitton of prep, looking for something that can be gotten off the ground relatively quickly
~ any setting/milieu totally works, but in a perfect world it wouldn't be trad/boilerplate fantasy. RP-heavy is cool, hack-n-slash is cool, basically wide open on this front.

Again, I know there are plenty of systems can be made to fit into this box with varying degrees of difficulty, just curious if anyone's like "yo, [X] is exactly what the doctor ordered." Thanks in advance for any recs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rivetz posted:

I didn't see a "recommend me an RPG"-type thread, apologies if I missed it.
There's the what system should I use thread, which could probably help you. I have no useful suggestions though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

rivetz posted:

I didn't see a "recommend me an RPG"-type thread, apologies if I missed it. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for anything matching the following criteria:

~ works well with a low playercount, i.e. 3 (GM and two players). Obviously any decent system can be made to work for groups of varying size, but I'm wondering if there are games floating around there that have elements (or even were specifically designed) for low player count.
~ mid-to-shallow mechanics w/o a shitton of prep, looking for something that can be gotten off the ground relatively quickly
~ any setting/milieu totally works, but in a perfect world it wouldn't be trad/boilerplate fantasy. RP-heavy is cool, hack-n-slash is cool, basically wide open on this front.

Again, I know there are plenty of systems can be made to fit into this box with varying degrees of difficulty, just curious if anyone's like "yo, [X] is exactly what the doctor ordered." Thanks in advance for any recs.

Ironsworn maybe? It was designed for both solo and low-player counter GM-less cooperative/GM'd play. Its also free.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

rivetz posted:

Do you like horror games? If so, these should scratch the RP-heavy side while meeting your other requirements.

If you like one-shots: Trophy Dark.

If you like more OSR-module-style gameplay: Trophy Gold.

TrophyRPG.com, or you can get the base rules for free from the Trophy SRD.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

rivetz posted:

There's a lot of options that could hit that niche, but I'm going to suggest three for simplicity's sake.

First, Call of Cthulhu. Your classic lovecraftian horror game. It's very approachable as both a system and as a setting, and has decades of published material to work off of. There's also variants like Pulp Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu if you want a different system but would like to use CoC adventures or whatnot.

Second, there's Blades in the Dark, which is... basically a fantasy heist crew game with a lot of focus on player agency. There's also Scum and Villainy, which is pretty much the Star Wars version of the game.

Third there's a whole slew of Powered by the Apocalypse games. Apocalypse world, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, Fellowship, etc etc. These heavily focus on giving the players control over the narrative. Ideally they're little to know prep, but they can ask a lot of creativity from everyone at the table.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ironsworn maybe? It was designed for both solo and low-player counter GM-less cooperative/GM'd play. Its also free.

Seconding this, as I'm doing exactly that thing with a 3-person Ironsworn group and it's working great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Imagined posted:

I'd go with Full Thrust for a generic system that has a ship construction system and a large number of fleets based on established properties (B5, BSG, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.) available. It does cinematic and vector movement. Resolution is simple.

I'm a little out of touch but as best I recall and can quickly Google,

The current best version of the rules are the Full Thrust Continuum set,
https://emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/category/project-continum-rules/

The Continuum project has fleet books available for several settings
https://emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/category/fleet-books/popular-sci-fi-fleet-books/

If you want a slightly less generic (has ship construction rules but they're really crunchy) system that does 3D and has a virtual tabletop, I will shill my publisher's Squadron Strike. The developer had some really good ideas about play aids, and managed to make 3d vector movement both playable and fun on the table without computer assistance. There is also computer assistance. They've got some good home grown settings and (the stuff I work on) the space combat license for Traveller. Naturally I'm biased, but you can check out the publisher page,
https://www.adastragames.com/products/squadron-strike-traveller-deluxe

Or drop a few buck on the starter kit,
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171157/Squadron-Strike-Second-Edition-Starter-Kit?manufacturers_id=8922

PM me to get into a game on the virtual tabletop, we teach the game online every week.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 4, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rivetz posted:

Call of Cthulhu should do the trick. Check out the free Quickstart to get a better idea. There's also a modern day spin-off called Delta Green and it has a free Quickstart as well.

For specific points:

It should work fine with two players for the most part, but CoC benefits from having more bodies to throw at a threat, so I'd suggest either making the PCs stronger as per Pulp Cthulhu guidelines or simply giving each player two PCs.

The core of the mechanics in the current edition is relatively simple, but there are some fiddly sub-systems like chases, going insane and , which thankfully can mostly be tackled when necessary and/or ignored. The chargen can be a little laboursome, but thankfully the devs throw piles of pregens at you. There's usually a six-pack of them in every book they've released and in some books there's a set for every specific short adventure. (Because most of them are expected to die and the world to blow up by the end of each one.) You can grab the pre-gens for most of the books from their site.

It's very much not trad fantasy.

On a different note, if you wanted to run some OSR, Godbound as well as Stars/Worlds Without Number with the Heroic PCs/Legate rules from the Deluxe versions of the rules should work well.

EDIT: Oh right, I haven't actually played any of them, but most of the games Gumshoe family of investigative RPgs from what I've seen in their rulebooks explicitly support playing them with two players. If you're into investigative roleplay, there's a lot of different flavors to try out.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 4, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

It should work fine with two players for the most part, but CoC benefits from having more bodies to throw at a threat, so I'd suggest either making the PCs stronger as per Pulp Cthulhu guidelines or simply giving each player two PCs.

As a side note, giving each player two PCs is a pretty good way of handling almost any trad game with two players and a GM. It ups bookkeeping a bit, so it might be tricky if you're playing something crunchy, but it's worth a thought.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of Call of Cthulhu, there's a Kickstarter going on right now for a reprint of the original Call of Cthulhu box set(and 5 other early books for the line) that looks pretty snazzy and surprisingly cheap too

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

potatocubed posted:

As a side note, giving each player two PCs is a pretty good way of handling almost any trad game with two players and a GM. It ups bookkeeping a bit, so it might be tricky if you're playing something crunchy, but it's worth a thought.

It depends on a system, I'd say. It'd be too much fuss for some players in the more build and tactically complex D&D-likes like 4e, PF2 and perhaps even 5e, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue for CoC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to drop a recommendation for Sine Nomine's Scarlet Heroes, which is a D&D derivative designed specifically to be played with one GM and one player

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to drop a recommendation for Sine Nomine's Scarlet Heroes, which is a D&D derivative designed specifically to be played with one GM and one player

The key technology - the damage and defy death mechanics - translate straight into any D&D derivative with no issues

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

The key technology - the damage and defy death mechanics - translate straight into any D&D derivative with no issues

Also yes. And in the case of a conversion I'd recommend the free "Black Streams: Solo Heroes" supplement also by Sine Nomine for mechanics on how to do this translation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Angrymog posted:

What do they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gort posted:

What do they do?

quote:

Briefly, NPCs hit points are replaced by their hit dice (so a 1 HD mook is taken out by 1 point of damage). Damage dice instead map a range of rolls to a damage result (so a roll of 2-5 on damage does 1 point of damage, a roll of 6-9 does 2 points of damage, etc.) And heroes get a “fray die”, which allows them to do damage every turn to NPCs at the same or lower HD as the hero’s level.

quote:

If a PC encounters an obstacle they simply cannot overcome, they can defy death. Instead of failure, they take hit point damage – and, providing they survive, automatically overcome the obstacle.