Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bobua posted:

I sold 7/16 5p x10, for a current loss of $2,276.63 that I will in all likelihood hold till expiration

I've been loving with bb, mvis, and tcs for the last year and this will be my first time getting burned, so I can't really be mad about it :shrug:

If you don't close the puts don't forget you are paying $5000 for 1000 shares of AHT on expiration that you then need to sell.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
AHT? Never heard of it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

pixaal posted:

If you don't close the puts don't forget you are paying $5000 for 100 shares of AHT on expiration that you then need to sell.

I assume you mean 1000 shares, but yeah my cost basis will be around $4 a share after taking the premium into account. I'm not enthused but I knew what I was getting into when I sold the puts.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

yes 1000 missed a zero, sorry they are important!

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Ror posted:

I have to ask if anyone in this thread is still bagholding AHT in a significant way. I sold most of it at a loss after the initial crash, but it only partially executed and I just kinda held onto the last chunk for giggles, it's just a couple hundred bucks and I thought maybe it'll go back up a little.

But... :lol:

Thanks to the thread (:thanks:) I unloaded my CCs and stock on excrement-impact-air-mover monday. Loss was in the $1/share range all included.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ror posted:

I have to ask if anyone in this thread is still bagholding AHT in a significant way. I sold most of it at a loss after the initial crash, but it only partially executed and I just kinda held onto the last chunk for giggles, it's just a couple hundred bucks and I thought maybe it'll go back up a little.

I took my lumps on it a bit ago, was glad I did a spread so I capped my loss at 2.5. Holy poo poo it loving sucks.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ror posted:

I grabbed a truck load of cheap calls when I thought it had bottomed last week or whatever, they slipped a bit and basically just sat around time decaying so I dumped them yesterday for like a couple percent loss. Glad I did.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uh, you feeling okay, $GOON?
*buys more*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hbag posted:

bought some "AST SpaceMobile" since it seems to be doing what starlink's doing except doing it better

Lmaoooo

See if you can get out without taking too much of a loss

Starlink average sattelite launch cost is ~$500,000, essentially at cost, the fuel and manpower to maintain the launch facilities. Professional analysis says it costs SpaceX about $30mm to do a launch, and they launch 60 sattelites at a time.

AST is going to pay market rate to launch, minimum $1mm per unit

SpaceX is already the US government's preferred sattelite data provider and starlink has already participated in live fire exercises with the US military

I have an old box of betamax cassettes in my attic that I'll sell you for fair market value

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I'm still holding aht but I have puts at 2.50 to double cover my shares. Wish I bought more puts!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

bobua posted:

I assume you mean 1000 shares, but yeah my cost basis will be around $4 a share after taking the premium into account. I'm not enthused but I knew what I was getting into when I sold the puts.

The reverse split happens after close on Friday doesn't it? So it will be 100 shares.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I might buy back into AHT if it tanks super hard off the split but I got out pretty quick when I saw it stall and start going down more because I can't stop touching the poop.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Even I’m surprised at how fast it has tanked.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

pmchem posted:

$SBUX, Starbucks, has an impressive run the past week or two. Just straight up. Also huge bullish options volume on it today.

I see no news or google trends that would appear to justify this. It's also not just before or after earnings. Anyone see news of relevance on SBUX?

If anything I think their post-pandemic recovery is not gonna be amazing since lots of people bought coffee makers to ride out the pandemic, and many people are still social distancing. But SBUX market cap is up by like 30% compared to pre-pandemic. Not unique among large caps, but, interesting.

This is purely anecdotal, but here in NYC, Starbucks seems pretty busy at the locations I’ve been to (and has been for 6+ months). Their app is good, online order and pickup is super quick and easy. I usually don’t have to be in the store more than 30 seconds. I never used their app until after the pandemic and now I will probably always use it so I never have to stand in line to order. Seems like most of the people I see come into the store whenever I’m in there (not long, but multiple times per week) are also getting mobile orders.

IMO can’t trade based on anecdotes like this so take it fwiw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

What happened 😢

10Y bonds and also a completely normal selloff from ATHs which is apparently now the worst thing in the world.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

10Y bonds and also a completely normal selloff from ATHs which is apparently now the worst thing in the world.
SPY -0.34%

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Because stocks only go up?

:getout:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Market dipping a fraction of a percent is unacceptable and I would like to talk to the SPY manager

I nearly flipped my calls to puts when SPY was even for the day but am trying to stop my "stop changing your strategy at the slightest bad movement" habit.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 14, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cr0y posted:

Market dipping a fraction of a percent is unacceptable and I would like to talk to the SPY manager

I nearly flipped my calls to puts when SPY was even for the day but am trying to stop my "stop changing your strategy at the slightest bad movement" habit.

A good thing to do. Plan the trade and trade the plan. I'm trying to engrain this as well.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

cr0y posted:

am trying to stop my "stop changing your strategy at the slightest bad movement" habit.

For me this was the hardest thing to stop doing. It is one day and less than half of a percent. Just let it ride.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Spending mroe time sorting through scan results and less time staring at the big red or green number is helpful with this.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Lmaoooo

See if you can get out without taking too much of a loss

Starlink average sattelite launch cost is ~$500,000, essentially at cost, the fuel and manpower to maintain the launch facilities. Professional analysis says it costs SpaceX about $30mm to do a launch, and they launch 60 sattelites at a time.

AST is going to pay market rate to launch, minimum $1mm per unit

SpaceX is already the US government's preferred sattelite data provider and starlink has already participated in live fire exercises with the US military

I have an old box of betamax cassettes in my attic that I'll sell you for fair market value

Starlink customers need to be by an antennae, ASTS customers pay their mobile carrier an extra fee in areas they lack coverage in (in theory)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

BigPaddy posted:

For me this was the hardest thing to stop doing. It is one day and less than half of a percent. Just let it ride.

For me I think it helps to consider both sides of a trade (myself as both the potential buyer and seller). Like when I'm simultaneously thinking I should sell a covered call on a stock for big premium, while also wondering if I should buy an OTM call for the same stock because I think the stock might rocket up I realize I'm just being indecisively greedy and the position is too risky to go either way.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Probably stupid thought: if I was thinking of betting against a certain sector, would it be advantageous to find an ETF with a particularly crappy expense ratio? Theoretically that would maximize the potential losses if I bought a put against it?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

pmchem posted:

$SBUX, Starbucks, has an impressive run the past week or two. Just straight up. Also huge bullish options volume on it today.

I see no news or google trends that would appear to justify this. It's also not just before or after earnings. Anyone see news of relevance on SBUX?

If anything I think their post-pandemic recovery is not gonna be amazing since lots of people bought coffee makers to ride out the pandemic, and many people are still social distancing. But SBUX market cap is up by like 30% compared to pre-pandemic. Not unique among large caps, but, interesting.

I'm baffled tbh. Starbucks has closed hundreds of hundreds of stores, throwing away marketshare, and are apparently interested in rebuilding with stores that are takeaway focused with no seating. Ok good luck.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

Probably stupid thought: if I was thinking of betting against a certain sector, would it be advantageous to find an ETF with a particularly crappy expense ratio? Theoretically that would maximize the potential losses if I bought a put against it?

first off, I love this line of thought. Pulling on it further, if you find any miniscule arbitrage opportunities on ETFs tracking the same index but with different ERs and equivalent option prices let us know. but, I have to wonder if consideration of the ER is "priced in" by MMs on long-dated options.

more importantly, you'll find that most ETFs do not have liquid option activity, and typically within a general class, one ETF will dominate all related options activity. e.g. SPY for S&P 500, but not so much VOO or IVV. XLE for energy sector, but not so much VDE. and so on. so if you want to get options on a sector with a non-lovely b/a spread, your ETF choices will be limited. dunno about directly shorting and borrow rates for ETFs in the same sector.

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe
I bought SPY P, 5 to 10 DTE with 50-55 delta, at underlying peak Monday, with 90% gains today on SPY being down .34%. The miracle of liquidity and volume. I think I’m done with OTM SPY, given my risk profile I’m closing for 40-60% profit anyway.

hydrocarbonenema fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

A good thing to do. Plan the trade and trade the plan. I'm trying to engrain this as well.

I don't know last time I saw someone following the plan, people stormed the congress building

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

pmchem posted:

first off, I love this line of thought. Pulling on it further, if you find any miniscule arbitrage opportunities on ETFs tracking the same index but with different ERs and equivalent option prices let us know. but, I have to wonder if consideration of the ER is "priced in" by MMs on long-dated options.

more importantly, you'll find that most ETFs do not have liquid option activity, and typically within a general class, one ETF will dominate all related options activity. e.g. SPY for S&P 500, but not so much VOO or IVV. XLE for energy sector, but not so much VDE. and so on. so if you want to get options on a sector with a non-lovely b/a spread, your ETF choices will be limited. dunno about directly shorting and borrow rates for ETFs in the same sector.

Thanks, that's a really good point on liquidity. I've already run into that issue with my Vanguard ETFs being the best options for expenses but having some setbacks with regards to low options volume relative to Blackrock's iShares products.

I was reading some article earlier today on "ESG" (Environmental, Social, and Governance) metrics in stocks that sent me on this thought. The article mentioned high ESG type investments like Green Energy ETFs (PBW or ICLN) tended to yield poorer returns, at least partially as a consequences of ESG metric focus resulting in very high expense ratios. It made me wonder if betting against those sort of boutique ETFs (which are probably mostly composed of smaller cap versions of TSLA, grifting on green marketing hype and government tax credits) might be a smart strategy.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I took a look at his youtube channel and he hasn't uploaded a live trading video in a week but is still posting daily recap videos.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ror posted:

I forgot I bought 7 shares of it til I read this post, took a 66% bath on it for a whopping $28

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Not a Children posted:

I forgot I bought 7 shares of it til I read this post, took a 66% bath on it for a whopping $28

Sell that poo poo before the 1:10 reverse split Thursday night

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Just wanted to thank this thread for enabling me to buy All Star Game tickets, I had a blast!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

I'm baffled tbh. Starbucks has closed hundreds of hundreds of stores, throwing away marketshare, and are apparently interested in rebuilding with stores that are takeaway focused with no seating. Ok good luck.
If all their new NYC stores were just a pickup counter and a bathroom that you had to show a receipt to use, they’d make save a lot on rent and still rake it in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Grem posted:

Just wanted to thank this thread for enabling me to buy All Star Game tickets, I had a blast!

What stock(s) got you there?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I took a look at his youtube channel and he hasn't uploaded a live trading video in a week but is still posting daily recap videos.

I remember seeing the Warrior Trader guy in a YT video trying to call out guys who were pumping their "learn stock trading programs from me" deals and that his was particularly expensive, but what exactly is he being accused of doing?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Congrats to all who didn't paper hand their SPY calls yesterday.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

I remember seeing the Warrior Trader guy in a YT video trying to call out guys who were pumping their "learn stock trading programs from me" deals and that his was particularly expensive, but what exactly is he being accused of doing?
I don't think there's anything public comment from the FTC about it, but they have previously gone after stock trading "gurus" for deceptive representations... like claiming they can teach anyone to beat the market in any market conditions, crazy claims about profitability and chance of success, etc. Seemed like the Warrior Trading guy tried to be careful about that kind of stuff, based on what I saw from him, but I used to get spammed with his ads/videos on youtube and with that much content and marketing out there, chances are high that he slipped up.

An FTC investigates has got to be about marketing, right? They're not the SEC, I doubt they have the authority to go after him for securities fraud or anything like that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

I don't think there's anything public comment from the FTC about it, but they have previously gone after stock trading "gurus" for deceptive representations... like claiming they can teach anyone to beat the market in any market conditions, crazy claims about profitability and chance of success, etc. Seemed like the Warrior Trading guy tried to be careful about that kind of stuff, based on what I saw from him, but I used to get spammed with his ads/videos on youtube and with that much content and marketing out there, chances are high that he slipped up.

An FTC investigates has got to be about marketing, right? They're not the SEC, I doubt they have the authority to go after him for securities fraud or anything like that

That's traditionally the division. SEC deals with Wall Street, FTC deals with Main Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone adding any kind of bearish hedge prior to Powell speaking? Idk if it's a solid strategy to hold calls and puts for the same security but everyone seems to skittish at literally any news.

Hmm