Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

fun fact I learned today while working on Onan's Streak, Trisagion hurts you with every shot :shucks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm drunk and just beat the Beast with Tainted Lost AMA

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

How do you beat Greedier mode with Jacob and Esau? i always get caught on rocks i can’t see because there’s a million enemies on the screen

I just did it by getting slice and dice, slicing the two Esaus in half, and killing them. Doing it that way doesn't make you a ghost.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

GrandmaParty posted:

I just did it by getting slice and dice, slicing the two Esaus in half, and killing them. Doing it that way doesn't make you a ghost.

I‘m not playing the tainted one, so unfortunately i can’t murder the albatross

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I have played for 200 hours, unlocked 339 achievements, and I have never gotten the Guppy transformation.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bees x1000 posted:

I have played for 200 hours, unlocked 339 achievements, and I have never gotten the Guppy transformation.

it’s quite a bit harder now with the larger item pool. i think i’ve only gotten it once or twice since it came out

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

More to the point, the combination of devil room nerfs and the new mechanic that incentivizes you to not go into the first devil room you see (and makes them less likely thereafter if you play your cards right) make it so that you go into Devil rooms less often, which means you don't see Guppy items as often or as early.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 17, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:smug:

Completely no-hit the Greed/Ultra Greed fight without a holy card shield

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Have they said anything about a patch to fix up their to-do list like the unfinished tainted?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just pick up the left hand and start going into curse rooms and you'll Gupp in no time

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Crackbone posted:

Have they said anything about a patch to fix up their to-do list like the unfinished tainted?

I think they consider all the characters complete lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TIL Night Light is a trap item on a Beast run. Slowing down bits of bullet patterns can make things nearly impossible to dodge in the final fight.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Sharkitten posted:

I think they consider all the characters complete lol

They've already cut the idea of unique locusts for Tainted Polly

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lazarus isn’t finished and eden is like just a really poorly thought out but otherwise i think the tainted characters are fine? like i don’t like playing as some of them but that’s to be expected

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

TIL Night Light is a trap item on a Beast run. Slowing down bits of bullet patterns can make things nearly impossible to dodge in the final fight.

It’s a trap item in general. They modified the tear mechanics such that speed and distance are no longer intertwined. So whenever you slow down enemy tears now they ONLY go slower- they’re still guaranteed to go the same distance. In effect it just makes them stay on the screen way longer as they won’t disappear until they reach their full distance.

Obviously this is a nightmare for any bullet-hell boss

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

For real? I didn't know about the mechanics change. What a terrible item.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I mean if you've got a slow moving blocking orbital or bullet pushing item then Night Light gives you plenty of time to sweep yourself a safe path, so really it's like a lot of shop items in that its usefulness is circumstantial.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

watho posted:

lazarus isn’t finished and eden is like just a really poorly thought out but otherwise i think the tainted characters are fine? like i don’t like playing as some of them but that’s to be expected

Several of them (specifically Lazarus, Eve, and Cain) have straight up nonfunctional unlocks for beating Delirium. Also Birthright doesn't work on some of them, but that also applies to some of the pre-Repentance characters too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they've outright said that another update at least will be coming targeted towards the non-figurative unfinished stuff + i imagine at least part of the time between the last update and now is because they were focusing efforts onto the board game kickstarter

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Slows no longer affecting shot range is an engine overhaul in Repentance. It also ends up making it so that shot speed isn't a second range stat.

Room wide slows are still great, but yeah partial slows can gently caress you over since it causes bullets to overlap more often in bullet hell bosses (which is basically every single final boss.)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

And even then they can gently caress you up. I popped a drowsy pill while fighting Hush and apparently it doesn't work against his homing tear pillar attacks, that was fun.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't like how fiddly and time-wasting it is to optimally ferry trinkets to the appropriate cracked key rooms.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bees x1000 posted:

I don't like how fiddly and time-wasting it is to optimally ferry trinkets to the appropriate cracked key rooms.

This is true, but I'd say that on most runs where I get to The Beast, I beat The Beast, and it's really unlikely that getting lucky with some good poo poo from a couple extra red rooms during the ascent would change things either way. You're right that it is optimal though -- and not saying that it's good design, but one of the choices you definitely get faced with sometimes in Isaac is "how much of your time are you willing to waste in order to be slightly more optimal?"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

Several of them (specifically Lazarus, Eve, and Cain) have straight up nonfunctional unlocks for beating Delirium. Also Birthright doesn't work on some of them, but that also applies to some of the pre-Repentance characters too.

oh yeah there’s tons of unfinished unlocks but that’s different to me than the character itself being unfinished. that might be a minor distinction but i don’t have any problem with playing a feature complete character and getting unlocks that aren’t implemented, i would prefer if they were but i don’t need the extrinsic reward to keep playing. that’s different than playing as a half baked character slog

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
IIRC, didn't the devs just straight-out say at some point that future updates would involve finishing Tainted Lazarus, Apollyon, and Keeper since they're just kinda placeholders they didn't have time to finish working on?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Edmund stated that they considered Tainted Apollyon finished, but I think there's hope for tainted laz and maybe Eden

Never heard about Tainted Keeper being considered unfinished though. He seems done, and is one of my favorite taints too!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It was Lazarus and Apollyon, though there seemed to be some communication mishap over the latter, since different dev team members had different things to say about his state.

Tainted Keeper absolutely did not fall under that. He’s very much feature complete and balanced properly. They did say Tainted Jacob might get a buff, though don’t count on it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

tainted jacob is super hard but in a way that at least feels consistent and deliberate. giving tainted esau boss armor would help a lot tho

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

goferchan posted:

This is true, but I'd say that on most runs where I get to The Beast, I beat The Beast, and it's really unlikely that getting lucky with some good poo poo from a couple extra red rooms during the ascent would change things either way. You're right that it is optimal though -- and not saying that it's good design, but one of the choices you definitely get faced with sometimes in Isaac is "how much of your time are you willing to waste in order to be slightly more optimal?"

Yeah but it's so boring. It should be changed to 'any trinkets left on the ground will spawn cracked keys in the corresponding ascent level boss room'. Cut out all the pointless work for the player.

speaking of optimal time wasting, I had an Eden run start with Brown Nugget last night and that item can get very silly if you're patient enough.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

not sure how that would work since the boss and item rooms are the only things that stay consistent during the ascent

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

watho posted:

tainted jacob is super hard but in a way that at least feels consistent and deliberate. giving tainted esau boss armor would help a lot tho

Yeah my big issue with tainted Jacob is that esau dies almost instantly when you get to womb+ so you're basically playing worse lost

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly just get rid of the trinket > red key thing once you’ve unlocked the tainted character, and make cracked keys a normal pickup drop so people could still save them for inner child if wanted. Feels unnecessary.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

^that's an even better idea.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

or they change nothing and you just play the game normally because no one’s forcing you at gunpoint to turn every single possible trinket into a cracked key

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I don’t bother beyond the first. What’s the point? Every cracked key after the first just gives you more rooms and therefore more room drops, and I’m not usually hurting for those during the Ascent.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Red/cracked keys can give you treasure rooms. I've gotten some really good stuff through them.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i just had 3 planetariums show up in a row lmfao

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bees x1000 posted:

Red/cracked keys can give you treasure rooms. I've gotten some really good stuff through them.

Oh that’s interesting. I once got 20 or so trinkets into a boss room and I tried using all those keys during the ascent. After about 15 new rooms all I had was a bunch of worthless pickups and a few blue hearts less than when I started, and the novelty had worn off.

Overall I’d say it probably isn’t optimal to maximize your cracked keys because the amount of time you’re putting into maybe getting a couple more treasure rooms for that run could instead be put toward future runs, which will be more productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah the ultra secret room always has an item iirc