Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I am a real americum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fight for the rights of aluminum

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Alumum.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wile coming out and holding up a sign that says "we got him" before an anvil lands on his head.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

From today's CNN morning newsletter, funny only if making me think I somehow suffered a stroke in my sleep is funny:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

gently caress dude, it sure is

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it's not wrong

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

never thought ide see gun nac art in a meme thread. i loved this on nes but i could never beat it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Jeeves, my faithful manservant, behold my greatest creation; A rabbit capable of eating entire moons worth of carrots and snorting lasers with but a twitch of its fuzzy nose!

Soon I alone will control the galaxy's carrot supply!

"My wall! What has science done!!!!"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Japanese (Kanji)

Languages that have gender mean you're going to be doing a ton of rote memorisation. Languages with conjugation but a shitload of irregular verbs means you're going to be doing a ton of rote memorisation. There's nothing unique about English that way.

That's true, but spelling is a self-inflicted own. Grammar rules are much harder to change than spelling rules.

Even a new spelling that would somehow be miraculously accepted by all major English language institutions, publishers and professionals would still face significant obstacles because of English's widespread pluricentricity. For instance, you could do something like make the vowel in 'father' be spelled 'ah' and the vowel in 'force' be 'oh', but how would you spell 'wall'? In AmE it'd be 'wahl', but not in BrE, where it'd be 'wohl'.

Barring some catastrophe, English missed the window of opportunity on spelling optimization a long time ago. E.g. Dutch, French and German are no less pluricentric than English, but their pluricentricity became more tolerated after the spelling had already undergone waves of standardization and optimization. Though I suppose it also plays a role that Dutch, French and German have no co-equally influential cultural core like English does with Britain and the US.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In the book, I'm pretty sure it actually is a different planet. So that's a good point

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Because it's ape law!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phlegmish posted:

In the book, I'm pretty sure it actually is a different planet. So that's a good point

Doesn't the book end with it all being a novel that an ape is reading?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And that ape, was you!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it ends with them getting back to Earth which somehow also has been taken over by (non-human) apes, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/5AMVhcW.mp4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I think it ends with them getting back to Earth which somehow also has been taken over by (non-human) apes, but it's been a while since I've read it.

I think that was the remake with Markie Mark

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Phlegmish posted:

Both. In the book the titular "planet of the apes" is a separate planet which the main character escapes and returns to Earth to find out that in his absence apes have taken over. The book has a bookend thing where it was a manuscript an unnamed character found floating in space and at the end the unnamed reader is revealed to also be an ape.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's very clearly explained that some maniacs blew it up. We can conclude that the explosion was so powerful, it propelled the statue all the way to a different planet. As to why, well, maniacs don't really need a reason, do they?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Both. In the book the titular "planet of the apes" is a separate planet which the main character escapes and returns to Earth to find out that in his absence apes have taken over. The book has a bookend thing where it was a manuscript an unnamed character found floating in space and at the end the unnamed reader is revealed to also be an ape.

Specifically the story of the planet they travel to is that it used to be like earth until humans trained apes to be a slave race, but became so lazy that they regressed and the apes took over. Then they when they travel back to earth (thanks to a drastic misunderstanding of time dilation and inertial frames and poo poo on the part of the author) hundreds of years have passed and the same thing has happened there. So the whole "it was earth all along" reveal in the movie fits with the book, it's just a narratively more concise way of doing the same thing.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
And that Ape was Apebert Apestein.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Wow, that name is really similar to Humanbert Humanstein's.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Goddamnit I always seem to miss these conversations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yoshi Wins posted:

Wow, that name is really similar to Humanbert Humanstein's.

You finally made a monkey out of me!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

bike tory posted:

Specifically the story of the planet they travel to is that it used to be like earth until humans trained apes to be a slave race, but became so lazy that they regressed and the apes took over. Then they when they travel back to earth (thanks to a drastic misunderstanding of time dilation and inertial frames and poo poo on the part of the author) hundreds of years have passed and the same thing has happened there. So the whole "it was earth all along" reveal in the movie fits with the book, it's just a narratively more concise way of doing the same thing.

One of the rare times in which the movie was better than the book.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Johnny Aztec posted:

One of the rare times in which the movie was better than the book.

But enough about starship troopers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or Fight Club

Or Jaws

Or The Shining

Or The Godfather

Or Goodfellas

Or the Passion of the Christ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or the king of "how did this book even get a second glance much less a whole rear end movie," forrest gump

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Or Shrek

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Or the king of "how did this book even get a second glance much less a whole rear end movie," forrest gump

It was the boomer version of ready player one, of course the masses were rabid for it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

It was the boomer version of ready player one, of course the masses were rabid for it

A whole book about how great the boomers were. They single-handedly solved all wars (no), did civil rights (nope), and made rock and roll (already a dead genre)!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Once again, Everett is on point

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Everett True reads as stdh.txt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or Fight Club

Or Jaws

Or The Shining

Or The Godfather

Or Goodfellas

Or the Passion of the Christ

Jurassic Park

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Everett True reads as stdh.txt

i mean, it's not a documentary

the whole point is he bodies the kind of people you wish you could personally pulverize but you don't for various reasons

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love it when goons discover 'fiction'

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Bloop posted:

i mean, it's not a documentary

the whole point is he bodies the kind of people you wish you could personally pulverize but you don't for various reasons

BUT HIS NAME IS "TRUE," I DEMAND TO SPEAK WITH THE MANAGER OF OLD COMIC STRIPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Jurassic Park

nah