Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a gimmick of a single case fan that's as large as the whole side-panel of the case

If you consider the bottom of the case to be the side of the case, sure. It's the only fan mount in the entire case though

https://www.monsterlabo.com/the-first (in active configuration, not passive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a gimmick of a single case fan that's as large as the whole side-panel of the case

I think most people just leave the side panel off a standard case with the box fan pointed at it though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I believe Silverstone pioneered the single-bottom-fan chimney design with the FT-03 and the FT-03 Mini.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Its a limitation of the platform as it is, currently. Electronics create heat. If that is unconscionable to you, vote with your ears wallet because you're not going to change the BOM of all these motherboards that have already been produced.

It's dumb that apple can sell me a whole laptop with no fans but these motherboards can't live without it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it kind of annoys me that the solution isn't some kind of standardized (idk 90 or 120mm?? smaller? idk) fan mount designed to put over the board, I'm sure there's some way to implement that design objective. that way you could add extra cooling if you wanted (similar to how blower style CPU coolers provide some cooling) with whatever properties make you happy.

the problem isn't the existence of the fan, it's that the hardware design paradigm - a proprietary moving part - is something the industry has moved away from in the PC space for compelling reasons. anyone who fixes anything will have a story of a fan that went, or a friend who does. your motherboard going is the most PITA part in your pc to replace, absolute most if your PSU is modular.

I mean personally my mobo doesn't even have heatsinks let alone active cooling and it works great so :shrug: different products for different roles I guess!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kazinsal posted:

The OG Pentium was the first x86 CPU family that really needed active cooling, but I think if you took one of the later P5 optimizations and downclocked them a bit down to the first versions' clock speeds you'd get the same performance as the originals at like a third of the TDP, so you could run them passive at like 5 watts instead of 15.

I don't think I've ever owned a motherboard with a chipset fan, but honestly, whatever. Those little fans aren't really crap or anything, they don't spontaneously detonate like people seem to think they do.

Mine started clicking on my Asus x570 board. We took it apart, "fixed" it, and it worked perfectly fine for several months. Now it is clicking again. They are dumb and I hate them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thermaltake Core V1, and it's the best case on the planet for the money

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Crunchy Black posted:

I continue to lol at goons goonin' over something so spergy and stupid as an extra small, controllable fan.

Do you all have your computers situated 4 inches from your head and never wear headphones?

I used to work in a major multinational's NOC. I tell you the truth, fan noise of any kind is the LAST thing I wish to hear, ever.

And I don't wear over-the-ear headphones because they make my ears hot and me grouchy.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Crunchy Black posted:

Do you all have your computers situated 4 inches from your head and never wear headphones?

Look, my VR rig may not be ""comfortable"" by most peoples standards but the latency is sick and my neck is getting stronger every day

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CFox posted:

It's dumb that apple can sell me a whole laptop with no fans but these motherboards can't live without it.

I have an old, very low-powered fanless laptop. But it's certainly better option than my work laptop that I can't let do any work because of the fan.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

future ghost posted:

The last times chipset fans were used (socket 939/775) most of them died early. More than the noise, it's introducing a tiny lovely point of failure a few years down the line, or best case adding a part that needs to be replaced. Even if you want to swap it out for a better chipset heatsink you'll need to deal with the headache of pulling the board.

Not defending mobo fans but I personally have never kept an AMD board for more than 3 years.

I just get the $100 Motherboard special and throw it away when it’s time to upgrade.

With zen 2 tho I’m starting to stop seeing amd builds as disposable beaters.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

At LAN parties (I mean scene parties :/) around 2000-2005 the case mod scene was huge and this was more common a mod than one'd think

That and tarantulas or goldfish

Then they grew up got jobs and neon

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I had I think an nForce 2 board with a chipset fan, and first the fan bearing seized and it stopped spinning, then everything melted, and finally that fan fell out of the side of my PC one day when moving it for a lan party.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Twerk from Home posted:

I had I think an nForce 2 board with a chipset fan, and first the fan bearing seized and it stopped spinning, then everything melted, and finally that fan fell out of the side of my PC one day when moving it for a lan party.

Last time I had a chipset fan may have been nForce 2 or maybe slightly earlier. I just remember at some point after a few years of use something went wrong and it sounded like a poker card in the spokes of a bicycle except instead of the bicycle being a lovely Huffy BMX wannabe it was some professional Motocross monster tearing rear end through a world championship race. Hats off to that lovely little fan for making such an impressive amount of noise I guess. Like the world's tiniest high RPM chainsaw with throttle full open.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Gwaihir posted:

At the risk of going well over the top in to :goonsay: land, I had a hearing test 3 months ago, had no impariment at all, and in my beQuiet! (I was in fact going for silence with this build) case under my desk the whole system is almost below the room's noise floor with AC on. (I'm in Florida, so that's sorta the default state of things). Without it on, the chipset fan on my MSI x570 is still well below the minimum discernable difference. Like, cmon lol.
It's not like the thing runs at Delta fan RPMs, I've not adjusted anything on my board and it's running at 600 rpm. Does that do much of anything? No, probably not. Does it hurt anything to exist? Also no, not really.
I just put together a new build with the Asus Strix X570-I. The chipset fan spins at 6000 rpm and makes a high pitched whine and is easily the loudest thing in the case. So, I guess it depends a lot on the motherboard? I'm going to have to send this thing back and eat the restocking fee.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

NoDamage posted:

I just put together a new build with the Asus Strix X570-I. The chipset fan spins at 6000 rpm and makes a high pitched whine and is easily the loudest thing in the case. So, I guess it depends a lot on the motherboard? I'm going to have to send this thing back and eat the restocking fee.

There are differences from board to board, and there are also huge differences from person to person not just in terms of how good their hearing is but also in how much noise they think is okay, which is how we get these two camps thinking the other position is completely outlandish.

Like that guy is all "what are you talking about I can barely hear my computer with the ac on" and I'm over here thinking "you can hear your computer with the ac on? That sounds awful."

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

VorpalFish posted:

There are differences from board to board, and there are also huge differences from person to person not just in terms of how good their hearing is but also in how much noise they think is okay, which is how we get these two camps thinking the other position is completely outlandish.

Like that guy is all "what are you talking about I can barely hear my computer with the ac on" and I'm over here thinking "you can hear your computer with the ac on? That sounds awful."

The most important thing is to use the direct to CPU M2 socket for the SSD. Dont give the chipset anything to do and all is good. If there isnt a 0RPM mode patched in, just return the board.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I finally got around to checking my fan curves for my Gigabyte Aorus Elite, and set the chipset mode to silent, which the curve auto set to turning on around 60 degrees or higher. Now it isn't spinning all the time. Am I going to cook my mobo? I have all the other fans set to run higher than default to avoid the whole ramp issue, so I'm thinking I'm okay.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Max recommended operating temperature for the x570 is apparently 90 C. 60 should be safe.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AutismVaccine posted:

The most important thing is to use the direct to CPU M2 socket for the SSD. Dont give the chipset anything to do and all is good. If there isnt a 0RPM mode patched in, just return the board.

you may also possibly just be able to take it apart and yank the chipset fan's plug from the mobo socket. Depending on the motherboard it may squawk about a failed fan, not sure if there's an easy electrical way to bypass that?

in fact depending on the motherboard you may be able to remove the lovely plastic GAMER ARMOR entirely and this in fact may improve thermals. I was looking at the X570 Phantom Gaming TB/3 (being one of the only AM4 mITX boards with onboard TB3) with regards to the chipset fan and one of the comments someone made was that their thermals actually improved when they took the whole chipset fan assembly off - the lovely plastic shroud was screwing up thermals.

I think manufacturers like it because of the "clean lines" but I'm actually getting to the point where I loathe those stupid plastic covers. They pretty much hurt more than they help, if you're too cheap to put a real metal heatsink on it then just loving leave it off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Max recommended operating temperature for the x570 is apparently 90 C. 60 should be safe.

Well, it's already turned itself back on so :shrug:

I think before I put a fuckoff huge 2070 Super in the chipset fan didn't run or rarely ran. Once it had a Volkswagen-sized video card hanging over it the fan seemed to get more active.

I should probably blow the dust out, too, now that I think of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alternatively, reconfigure your airflow situation to make sure there's a case fan blowing directly over the chipset, if there isn't one already.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

They pretty much hurt more than they help, if you're too cheap to put a real metal heatsink on it then just loving leave it off.

Especially because metal vs plastic is probably like a $0.50 difference if that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SourKraut posted:

Especially because metal vs plastic is probably like a $0.50 difference if that.

If you sell 10,000 units of a board that's $5,000...these things matter to the bean counters

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

So why buy a mobo with an expensive, feature-loaded chipset if you are actively trying to avoid using the features? :v:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Nomyth posted:

If you sell 10,000 units of a board that's $5,000...these things matter to the bean counters

But now marketing social media department assholes come in and tells you that you may have lost 4,000+ units in sales because of the media dust up from using lovely parts. What now?

Fire Asus QA people until you are profitable again. Everyone is gonna buy your poo poo on market inertia anyways.

lol buy another yacht.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Ihmemies posted:

So why buy a mobo with an expensive, feature-loaded chipset if you are actively trying to avoid using the features? :v:

Front USB C, Bios Flash Button, PCIe4.0, "cheapish" --> has a fan :v:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Paul MaudDib posted:

you may also possibly just be able to take it apart and yank the chipset fan's plug from the mobo socket. Depending on the motherboard it may squawk about a failed fan, not sure if there's an easy electrical way to bypass that?

in fact depending on the motherboard you may be able to remove the lovely plastic GAMER ARMOR entirely and this in fact may improve thermals. I was looking at the X570 Phantom Gaming TB/3 (being one of the only AM4 mITX boards with onboard TB3) with regards to the chipset fan and one of the comments someone made was that their thermals actually improved when they took the whole chipset fan assembly off - the lovely plastic shroud was screwing up thermals.

I think manufacturers like it because of the "clean lines" but I'm actually getting to the point where I loathe those stupid plastic covers. They pretty much hurt more than they help, if you're too cheap to put a real metal heatsink on it then just loving leave it off.

More like GARBAGE ARMOR
Plus all the loving fans are exactly covered by the new 3slot wide GPUs. I looked at all available Mobos (Jan2021), the MSI tomahawk had the best fan placement, it was like only 50% obstructed :v:. You cant even easily mod it with a better (wider) fan, cause there is just no space.

--> The whole fan fiasko is used to help selling 500$ Mobos with no fans. Or pure trolling.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

More like GARBAGE ARMOR
Plus all the loving fans are exactly covered by the new 3slot wide GPUs. I looked at all available Mobos (Jan2021), the MSI tomahawk had the best fan placement, it was like only 50% obstructed :v:. You cant even easily mod it with a better (wider) fan, cause there is just no space.

--> The whole fan fiasko is used to help selling 500$ Mobos with no fans. Or pure trolling.

Or, it's a first generation PCIe 4.0 chipset with a 15w TDP that either requires active cooling or a larger passive heatsink (Aorus Xtreme). The X570s refresh is legit efficiency improvements to lower the cooling budget of the chipset.

Just watercool it bro :v:

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
"AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: chipset fans blow"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AutismVaccine posted:

More like GARBAGE ARMOR

the motherboard I was referencing was a $300 one and the problem is shared on $500 ones too

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

NoDamage posted:

Like others said, it depends on the board+user+environment.

I have the same board: the chipset fan hangs out around 5k RPM and I can't hear it, but I know the instant my GPU gets above 55C because I can hear its much larger fans kick on at 2k RPM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
these aren't really new per se but I haven't checked Asrock's Department of Weird poo poo in a while

Threadripper TRX40 ATX format board with IPMI - for your high-clocked epyc workloads. Curious what you'd see if you took that VRM shield off, just a 5-phase?

micro-ATX Epyc board, tons of SAS connectivity

Naples-based Epyc Embedded for some kind of edge server maybe? (interestingly this is one of only a handful of whitebox server boards with onboard SFP! has tons of oculink and mini SAS as well.)

the classic epyc socket in a mildly ITX (deep-itx) candy shell

B550 with IPMI - quad Intel NICs, this would probably make an interesting little router

B550 deep-itx with dual 10gbe (not really getting the point of this one, the IO seems very limited)[/url]

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

these aren't really new per se but I haven't checked Asrock's Department of Weird poo poo in a while
Now this is pretty much perfect for a mini homelab server. dual 10gbe, ipmi, 2x m.2 nvme and dual PCIe 4.0 x8 for raid controllers.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications

look ma, no chipset fan.

I'm tempted but ultimately for my purposes that's paying $300 for IPMI since I can get the rest cheaper.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Harik posted:

I'm tempted but ultimately for my purposes that's paying $300 for IPMI since I can get the rest cheaper.

After all the time I've spent with IPMI on Dell, HPE and Supermicro servers, I conclude that it sucks so much I wouldn't invest on it for home use. Normal use must be possible without it and the couple times per year that it's necessary I would rather lug in a monitor and keyboard than deal with software poo poo.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Saukkis posted:

After all the time I've spent with IPMI on Dell, HPE and Supermicro servers, I conclude that it sucks so much I wouldn't invest on it for home use. Normal use must be possible without it and the couple times per year that it's necessary I would rather lug in a monitor and keyboard than deal with software poo poo.

lol wot

If you're doing this for work you're doing it wrong.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Saukkis posted:

Exactly. Even if it were trivial to use it's ultimately not worth a $300 upcharge. I've used the supermicro IPMI exactly twice, once for the initial install and once when doing a fairly complicated flash procedure of an ancient raid card that I wanted to have the .pdf instructions open while doing it.

For my next NAS upgrade i'm just going to budget in the bits for a tinypilot or a similar setup. The only real upside to ipmi is it's an integrated console when you don't need graphics, saving you a precious pcie slot or from having to buy a processor with an igpu.

maybe there's a pcie x1 cirrus logic or similar out there i could use.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Harik posted:

maybe there's a pcie x1 cirrus logic or similar out there i could use.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E9Z2D60

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
the fact that a card only fit to be a framebuffer still costs $60 is why I said 'cirrus logic'.

You can still get matrox 550s used and that's way more than you need for a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Harik posted:

Now this is pretty much perfect for a mini homelab server. dual 10gbe, ipmi, 2x m.2 nvme and dual PCIe 4.0 x8 for raid controllers.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications

look ma, no chipset fan.

This is the board I have for my home server. But I bought it refurbed for $180 off of eBay. It is a good board, feature wise.