Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Yeah. I've never been much for the "tone police," especially after the last few years.

It always feels like I'm being scolded and lectured. Usually because I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I cannot imagine why anyone would see fit to scold someone as well behaved and sociable as yourself.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Trazz posted:

Huh. You must have some bad luck, running into all those mean people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trazz posted:

What exactly does "digging up" entail here? I've been dealing with theists and smugnostics for like 20 years, this isn't even the worst I've seen

It means do the opposite of whatever the gently caress you think this will accomplish.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also organized atheism collapsed into reactionary islamophobia and incel womanhating almost immediately. Supernatural belief isn’t the issue when it comes to political violence or fascism. America has just developed a brand of authoritarian protestantism that overlaps significantly with fascism.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Uglycat posted:

Huh. You must have some bad luck, running into all those mean people.

Honestly it doesn't happen all that often! Most people learn that it's rude to scold others.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trazz posted:

Most people learn that it's rude to scold others.

So how come you haven't?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So how come you haven't?

I mean literally the only problem I have is my "tone" so how am I not the one being scolded again?

And once again, :jerkbag:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Trazz posted:

I mean literally the only problem I have is my "tone" so how am I not the one being scolded again?

And once again, :jerkbag:

Just stop posting!

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

packetmantis posted:

Just stop posting!

Fine.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Trazz posted:

Yes, in my 20ish years of atheism I have in fact had many arguments about it. Most of those arguments boil down to "You're (insert x age here)?!"

Y'know if you were the ultra-rationalist intellectual superman you claim to be you should be able to take a step back and look at what the common denominator in all those discussions was.

Maybe people keep assuming you're a child because you argue like a child?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trazz posted:

Yes, in my 20ish years of atheism I have in fact had many arguments about it. Most of those arguments boil down to "You're (insert x age here)?!"

We can’t believe it because you argue like a child. There’s almost nobody left here who posts like that except maybe jrod if he’s still around.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Trazz posted:

Yeah. I've never been much for the "tone police," especially after the last few years.

You'd make a drat fine catholic with a persecution complex like that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the tone police they live inside of my head
the tone police they come to me in my bed
the tone police they're comin' to arrest me oh nooooo

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Trazz posted:

I feel like I'm watching the self-own Olympics

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
There but for the grace of god go I

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
🦢

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
As a former rather rabid atheist (and still nonbeliever)

lmao.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

At this moment, I am euphoric,

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

LanceHunter posted:

The decline of organized religion isn't a victory for atheists, especially since religiosity in general isn't actually in decline. The rise of poo poo like QAnon (and new age woo, and other various "spiritual but not religious" poo poo) is specifically what happens when organized religion is in decline but the majority of people still want to fulfill the religious impulse.

Also, eternal :lol:s at "I had many arguments with my parents about this poo poo". 36 years old, everyone!
It's more akin to tribalism than religion. Remember that Fascism didn't rise during a period of religious decline. Most Italian Fascists were Catholic but their faith and their membership in the Fascist movement were separate.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Thank God.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

IPlayVideoGames posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/debdrens/status/1417472760096428033

And these are the types of people who complain about how they are alone on holidays because their families have cut off all contact with them for some wild reason. Sickening.
drat, it's true: the internet makes you stupid*

*I'm copyrighting this phrase do not steal

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Heh God heh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Getting bent out of shape about people believing in pixies and imaginary friends seems very silly when there's plenty of examples of good and kind people who happen to believe in hocus pocus but it doesn't turn them bad, unlike some other fake made-up concepts people believe in that are always harmful like money or priesthood or nationalism.

E: and the internet New Atheist movement turned out to be very very big on that last one, with horrific results for millions and millions of innocent people.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 23, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Getting bent out of shape about people believing in pixies and imaginary friends seems very silly when there's plenty of examples of good and kind people who happen to believe in hocus pocus but it doesn't turn them bad, unlike some other fake made-up concepts people believe in that are always harmful like money or priesthood or nationalism

Yeah, and while say, the Catholic church itself may be rotten to the core, there are a lot of neighborhood churches that do a lot of honest-to-god (heh, god) good work in their communities. i've recently started working with nonprofits lately, and i've worked with so many church fundraising and volunteer data and I've certainly found myself stepping back and seeing that, for whatever stuff people believe in, they can often serve as a strong foundation of community organizing - maybe not full on leftie communal society but the number of small ones I've been working with, just over the last couple of months, that host clothing and food drives and do boots on the ground work to help people has been enlightening to say the least.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I earnestly believe that Satan and God have been inverted. God is malicious, spiteful, violent, causes war. Satan teaches you to respect those who are decent, take care of yourself, strive for better, try.

My belief is just as stupid AND real as Christians.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every few decades people keep independently turning into Gnostics, it's like with evolution and crabs.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Guavanaut posted:

Every few decades people keep independently turning into Gnostics, it's like with evolution and crabs.

These are the Silt Verses, and I name its disciples thus :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

It's pretty reasonable to assume that the world we live in must be hell and that if it was made deliberately, its creator must be evil.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have no problem with belief but if you look at the evidence of the world and believe in an omnipotent, loving God...well I have couple of billion holes in that theory, that's all I am saying. But beliefs themselves can be good, even illogical ones, if they are actually followed.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My prison survival strategy prevents me from going full atheist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I have no problem with belief but if you look at the evidence of the world and believe in an omnipotent, loving God...well I have couple of billion holes in that theory, that's all I am saying. But beliefs themselves can be good, even illogical ones, if they are actually followed.

The Greeks had a decent answer to the problem of evil.

Why do bad things happen to good people? Because the gods are vain self-absorbed petty assholes who don't really care about you!

Why worship them then? Because they'll gently caress your poo poo up for impiety if you don't!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yes, but Greek culture was also in many ways self-reliant in a way that's alien to the modern religious world. It was part of why Mystery Cults and later Christianity took off in the first place. One of the themes of the Iliad - more than just an epic but indeed one of the foundational cornerstones of ancient Greek culture - was that you cannot rely upon the gods for anything. Piety was important and it was vital for the survival of the state and the prosperity of one's self and family that you avoid angering the gods, but you absolutely could not rely upon them to do anything more than the bare minimum.

An ancient Greek person would probably view the idea that God will save us from climate change with the same degree of incredulity as the most hardline atheist does.

Like the way the world of classical antiquity understood the divine and its relationship with the material was quite different from how Christianity understood and understands things. For one thing, the idea of objective truth was kind of alien. Truths, at least religious ones, were truths for times and places. In Greece you would honor the Olympians because they were the Truth of Greece, while in Egypt you would honor the Neter because they were the Truth of Egypt. Christianity, in many ways a perfect demonstration of the paradox of tolerance in action, changed all that by declaring that there was only one true God, one true religion, and one true way of experiencing that truth.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Religion is literally delusional, as delusional as Qanon. It's obvious that Qanon is taking the place of or supplementing religious belief for many of these people.

Sorry that upsets some of you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spinz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 24, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WiseExecutor/status/1418473942767964163

the hilarious collapse of the Brights movement was the push that edgy teen atheist me needed to realize that being a fucker about religion, an extremely common human behavior, was the same as getting snobby about handegg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even Dick Dorkins has retreated back to saying he’s a “cultural christian” because hating Muslims is more important than not technically believing in the supernatural.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I earnestly believe that Satan and God have been inverted. God is malicious, spiteful, violent, causes war. Satan teaches you to respect those who are decent, take care of yourself, strive for better, try.

My belief is just as stupid AND real as Christians.

Satan is a loving cop :colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spinz posted:

Religion is literally delusional, as delusional as Qanon. It's obvious that Qanon is taking the place of or supplementing religious belief for many of these people.

It doesn’t really matter most of the time because 99% of the woo woo nonsense religious people believe in is harmless to outsiders, so who gives a poo poo? It’s the same with the crazy crystal people and the ones who think they’re witches.

Save the militant atheist “you know Santa isn’t real either, right :smuggo:” bullshit for the ones who are actively trying to mould the world the rest of us have to live in to suit their particular brand of imaginary friend.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

LanceHunter posted:

Eugenics laws were the one of the major planks of the early-20th century progressive movement. The same folks who gave us trust-busting, women's suffrage, prohibition, child labor laws, etc. Unfortunately, the good intentions of the movement and its core philosophy of the ability of government to create a better society allowed it to fall prey to the eugenicist's lies about the ability to perfect the human race. This major flaw in early progressivism is an important lessons that we modern progressives need to learn to make sure that we aren't unintentionally falling for some contemporary evil that is disguising itself as a benefit for society.

My point in bringing this up is to say that trying to draw a straight line through every lovely thing that has happened in the country's past ends up flattening out all of the real history and the lessons that can be learned from it.

or just flippantly disregarding a clear and present connection because it happens to link through a series of significant white supremacist movements as a result of the topic under discussion being the detectable common motivating factors could be a deeply foolish thing to do!

i say you can draw that line because the line is loving there, all of these things are fundamentally like the others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Spinz posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/atheism