Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moist turtleneck posted:

america looked at india during the delta outbreak and was like "lol glad that's never gonna find its way here" and did nothing to prepare

i remember getting 90's style liberal activism emails at work, like covid was only a problem for brown people and it was only happening in india because they're dirty :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Real hurthling! posted:

rub a drop of shaving cream into the lens with a cloth and it wont fog up

If your goggles ever fog up in public just take your goggles and respirator off and spit into the goggles and rub it around

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

i remember getting 90's style liberal activism emails at work, like covid was only a problem for brown people and it was only happening in india because they're dirty :lol:

Yeah the hilarity of imagining that the same results wouldn't happen in the USA because we are special / "better prepared"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Got a good link for a reputable seller? I have family that are interested but not doomy enough like me to respirator up.

of course

https://bonafidemasks.com/harley-n95-l-188-respirator-face-mask/

https://bonafidemasks.com/Black-Powecom-KN95-Face-Mask

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol I forgot this happened

https://twitter.com/FoxMulder010/status/1420892834534547461?s=20

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If your goggles ever fog up in public just take your goggles and respirator off and spit into the goggles and rub it around

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp
Just realised on the way home last night that my town (and by extension, I imagine, the majority of college towns) are in between leases on apartments

Meaning that the super transmissible variant is coinciding with a bunch of college students doubling up on apartments and crashing on couches until they can move into their new places

Then we have ~2 weeks until the dorms open up for incoming students

lol lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

the respirator isn't part of the mask covenant. it's about keeping you safe

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1421065914057908227

edit: woops, didn't realize this person was an anti-mask zealot

Crusader has issued a correction as of 14:23 on Jul 30, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

some sort of special circumstance lmao

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp
I'm remembering correctly that the incubation period on delta is 3-5 days, right? If so, given that dorms open up a week before classes start lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
our work had a "donate your old shoes" drive to save india during delta lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

some sort of special circumstance lmao

*quietly tiptoes into my kids’ bedroom while they’re asleep and writes SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCE on their foreheads with a sharpie*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

our work had a "donate your old shoes" drive to save india during delta lol

If there's one thing I've learned from the schadenfreude thread, it's that you're not dead so long as the shoes stay on

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
man I don’t know if behealthy is getting busy again but my box arrived barely taped

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol no loving poo poo

honestly, "we'll give you $100" will likely do far more to convince people there won't be a hidden charge involved than any sort of greed carrot

how are they doing the money for people who don't have regular addresses? Im assuming they aren't just handing out a stack of hundos after the shot

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how Biden told local governments to pay for it

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

All of the CVS and Walgreens around here have a sign up that says "FREE COVID-19 VACCINATIONS, NO APPOINTMENTS NEEDED"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Thanks. I forget, KN95 and N95 are effectively the same right? Like obviously both vastly inferior to a respirator, but compared to one-another the standard differences are minor?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

and this is why i didn't vote for joe biden

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Deceptive Thinker posted:

All of the CVS and Walgreens around here have a sign up that says "FREE COVID-19 VACCINATIONS, NO APPOINTMENTS NEEDED"

why would someone uninsured go to Walgreens / CVS in the first place? stare at the drugs through the window?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

triple sulk posted:

and this is why i didn't vote for joe biden

as we continue our descent into hell, every day i secretly thank joe biden for shivving bernie sanders

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1421065918801715205

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

americans when they see the sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsKxxdSbhBE

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

genericnick posted:

Basically if they mandate real masks it's probably better to follow the guidance so as to not be a dick, but if random cloth masks are OK then don't bother thinking about the exhaust port, you're no worse than those.

you can just do what i did and put a cloth mask over the valve if you're worried about it. iirc there's been studies that the exhale valves from respirators do just as much as a mask, if not better

the respirator isn't part of the mask covenant. it's about keeping you safe

right but i'd like to do both for prosocial behavior. my daily wear are the airpop F2299 (i.e., >99% of 2.5nm) that seem to have a very good fit and seal.

i still bought that gsv p100 just to have on hand for certain cases where i feel the need to max protect. but i'd like to know if there are better things, like if i can install an N95 aftermarket filter in the exhalation valve or smthing

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Man I’m gonna get a ton of side eyes for this. I really don’t want to draw more attention to the fact that I’m the only masked employee.

You’ll get over it, you’re about to be smugger than you’ve ever been

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

wait, can someone from elastomere crew tell me if the exhalation valves on these (or other masks) filter too? i don't want to be totally irresponsible to the humans around me

someone add this to the motherfucking OP because it's going to get asked again a zillion more times before this is all over:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

The exhaust valve of your respirator is going to provide filtration similar to or better than a surgical mask.

From a purely personal perspective, whether you think that's enough as far as protecting other people is entirely up to you.

From the standpoint of compliance with whatever establishment might take issue with your respirator having an "uncovered exhaust valve", you might want to have a back-up solution, whether in the form of having a surgical mask set to fit over the valve, or a KN95 in your car or bag as a spare (and obviously make the change-over in the outdoors, away from other people, when possible).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

And uninsured people, rightly based on their experiences in the past, assume there is a big catch and they'll get a bill after the fact for the vaccine being free but not the needle or some poo poo like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this was the lady that lead the charge on getting the CDC to drop mask mandates while outdoors, gently caress you

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
lmao at the people stating their intention to travel during August
they have no loving idea lol

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone add this to the motherfucking OP because it's going to get asked again a zillion more times before this is all over:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

The exhaust valve of your respirator is going to provide filtration similar to or better than a surgical mask.

From a purely personal perspective, whether you think that's enough as far as protecting other people is entirely up to you.

From the standpoint of compliance with whatever establishment might take issue with your respirator having an "uncovered exhaust valve", you might want to have a back-up solution, whether in the form of having a surgical mask set to fit over the valve, or a KN95 in your car or bag as a spare (and obviously make the change-over in the outdoors, away from other people, when possible).

thank you my dear

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Testvan posted:

yeah i have/had an outdoor engagement party for my gf's friend on the books for 8/6, and a flight to philly to visit my best friend and his 10 month old who i've never met for the weekend after. the second one is a driveable distance. unclear to me if either can/should happen. again, back to that spring 2020 feeling.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

more like FREE VACCINES, NO APPOINTMENTS NEEDED, and then several moments later they grill you on what insurance you have

golly gee, I just can't imagine why people think it costs money!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was the lady that lead the charge on getting the CDC to drop mask mandates while outdoors, gently caress you

goddamnit :|

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Testvan posted:

i've got a friend who spends a month in europe with his family once a year (he's from there). i'm honestly wondering if he's going to be able to make it back lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

attnd'n wedding in oct. just lol at the thought of that....

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

hahaha yeah it was

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

so why is UK dropping off?

I mean I guess it has to be that everyone is getting delta and the spike was a lot bigger, just a lot of asymptomatic or minor symptoms not getting tested?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

serves me right for just blindly taking a retweet from a list i hadn't curated in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah she’s a huge piece of poo poo