Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

review scores are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

If you don't blow your horse up accidently at least six times with bomb arrows then are you even playing BOTW right?

I don't use horses but I felt bad accidentally killing one that some random bokoblin was riding, I now just stasis them off horses which is funnier anyway. The only animals I actively kill are the wolves because they always try to start poo poo and apparently hylian wolf meat is actually good

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There are way too many wolves in BOTW. They're in almost every part of the map, even parts that make no sense, to the point where I thought it was a glitch. I also hate how if you walk near them at all it always triggers the exact same howl sound effect.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We got an expert on hylian ecology over here

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Just toss a bomb at them and sell the meat later. If they didn’t panic and flee as soon as you kill one it would be a hassle, but they’re not really more than a tiny inconvenience 99% of the time.

Also wolves used to be all over the us. We only think they’re rare because we slaughtered them so we could strip the plain bare raising cattle.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I started just lobbing bombs at them before they even have a chance to howl at me, plus sometimes they drop the rarer meat type

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Not a true adventure unless you lob some explosives at a pack of wolves.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

superjew posted:

I'm about to play this finally. I'm planning on playing with the joy-cons exclusively, and I'm thinking about how the Super Mario Galaxy port played with the motion controls. I know SS uses the motion controls much more than that game, but I got used to resetting the cursor, so is it a similar experience all things considered?

I never played SS on Wii, but I did play Galaxy on both Wii and Switch, and so far SSHD feels about the same in terms of mimicking the Wiimote & Nunchuk. As mentioned before, Nintendo’s pretty much nailed making the separate Joy-Cons perform like the Wii controls plus a re-center button for the cursor - in SSHD, it’s the Y button. You’ll be using it a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People genuinely never seem to grasp that most American views used the American school scoring system where anything below a 7.0 would be considered a failing grade. Even if they don't want to use that aggregators like Metacritic have codified that specific metric and if you go outside of it you send the wrong message. The whole 8.8 controversy is dumb but the reason people don't use 5 as "average" instead of "terrible" is because that isn't really the accepted scoring metric and going scoreless only really works if you're big enough to get attention without being part of a review mass. It isn't that people are too dumb to realize that it is a 10 point scale or too corrupt to give bad scores.

Like many things it isn't a great system but it is so heavily codified that breaking it is absurdly difficult, especially if other groups continue to adhere to it. Like honestly having to give a number review at all is dumb as hell because a number review very rarely gives a solid indication of a game's quality because so many factors go into making gameplay fun. But at the end of the day no matter how much people complain about it, the Metacritic score is the very first thing people look at and care about and so that number matters more than anything you can write.

Zelda games in particular are not super easy to score because even the worst Zelda games are usually extremely competent well-made games where the flaws are how many nagging little elements build up to frustrate you, and considering Zelda has a tremendously diverse fanbase those things are not universal. Even if you don't personally like something it may be something you can still recognize as critical to the design or fun for a certain attitude. (Weapon breaking, the sea in Wind Waker, the time limit in Majora, etc.) This trends towards higher reviews because most of the 'bad' mechanics are less overtly bad and more part of the core design of the game in a way that makes sense and may just not be fun for someone on an individual level. Giving a good game a bad review because something about it personally bugged you tends to lead to the exact kind of reviews that get mocked all the time. (See: IGN Godhand.) So especially for big franchises people are going to veer on the higher side even if something about the game bugs them personally because nobody wants to actually be remembered as the guy who said Dark Souls sucked because it was too ugly and hard.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 4, 2021

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a 3 out of 5 gives a way more positive vibe than a 6 out of 10, even if they are literally identical scores. Likely due to that school system scoring ingrained in my brain as said above, but my brain only registering that for a 10-point scale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DanielCross posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a 3 out of 5 gives a way more positive vibe than a 6 out of 10, even if they are literally identical scores. Likely due to that school system scoring ingrained in my brain as said above, but my brain only registering that for a 10-point scale.

No, you're not alone there. It also depends on how it is presented. Like "3 out of 5 stars" reads differently to people than "3 out of 5 points" even though they are literally the exact same thing. Our brains are weird. (It's also why gatcha games and the like tend to favor stars because higher stars feel bigger than higher numbers.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I thought you couldn't stable the giant horse but I'm super stoked that I was able to keep Big Boy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I thought you couldn't stable the giant horse but I'm super stoked that I was able to keep Big Boy.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the reason video game ratings are weighted so high is simply that all video games are epic, such that the very worst of them still reach 50 or 60% of peak human achievement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's kinda interesting on a technical level seeing the big "dust-filled" rooms in Skyward Sword ten years on after messing with 3D modelling and Unity a bit, because it's now really obvious how they work and it's a really clever and simple trick; The sand/dust is all one big plane with a shitload of vertices that lower individually when the vacuum colliders with them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad the final boss took three tries, the back half of the game was a real mixed bag though. Some stuff that niitially seemed cool ended up being super lame, like Flooded Faron Woods. Oh cool, really revisiting an area in a new way, maybe get to use this level geometry in a cool way, maybe raise and lower the water, use all the different tools I've gained so far... No, actually you use nothing, it's just water and you swim around and collect music notes we sprinkled around, like a movement tutorial gone on way, way, way too long and has no place being one of the penultimate challenges.

The run-up to the final sword pervert fight was pretty cool and was super glad they didn't make me fight the stupid muppet again, although they don't get credit for me being relieved to not have to play their own bad boss encounters again.

Wanted an Item Shop Girl epilogue.

What's the item next to the rattle, don't think I finished that quest line. Looks like a little cage. edit: Realized I never went to the minigame island when it was open, whoops oh well hope it wasn't cool.

sigher posted:

This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Death stranding is already halfway to BotW. The idea is really just expanding on the emergent game stuff that made BotW good, interactions between systems with increased depth.

DelphiAegis posted:

For some reason no matter how I centered beforehand, link just would NOT dive forward at a good enough speed to make the jumps as intended. All other times I used the motion controls and eventually felt really badass on the boss rush and got the Hylian shield really easily.

Ohhhh okay, poo poo, had no idea that was what was wrong with the falling poo poo. Spent 10 minutes getting a goddess cube once that you needed to dive and glide over behind a rock, but link would just divebomb and not go flat to slow down like I needed. Eventually got it just randomly flailing, guess that time I did the faux motion controls right.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's kinda interesting on a technical level seeing the big "dust-filled" rooms in Skyward Sword ten years on after messing with 3D modelling and Unity a bit, because it's now really obvious how they work and it's a really clever and simple trick; The sand/dust is all one big plane with a shitload of vertices that lower individually when the vacuum colliders with them

In the emulator version the texture for those was really whack and you could see through it and it was very obviously a plane you just mushed down.

DanielCross posted:

I don't think they are the same score even though you can reduce it as a fraction that way, and crunching it down removes granularity and increases the pressure to avoid the lower half of scores, compounded by the fact that 3/5 is a half-glass-of-water situation.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it like a scripted event that the game makes it dump rain every time you try to light the furnace at Robbie's or is this just it raining in Hyrule all the time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khanstant posted:

In the emulator version the texture for those was really whack and you could see through it and it was very obviously a plane you just mushed down.

I wonder if it's shader-driven then, given the way it shits itself like that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wonder if it's shader-driven then, given the way it shits itself like that?

Wish I had taken some screenshots, it reminded me of in blender when something has like flipped normals or weird overlapping self intersecting geometry, like maybe duplicated verts on top of others. Nothing else in the game glitched out like that, just those few sand covered rooms. The only other graphics issues were a few cutscenes had a weird sepia tone to them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is it like a scripted event that the game makes it dump rain every time you try to light the furnace at Robbie's or is this just it raining in Hyrule all the time

Yes

(actually I don't know, but it rains every time for me, and also too drat much in general)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It pisses it down in Akkala like 90% of the time. Plot out the path between lamps, and see if you can get any lined up to shoot arrows through one to another.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah Akkala is just stormy and the path is kind of long. There's a shorter route you can take partway around to the north but it's not easy.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I'm having a mental crisis because I did the exact same thing on the eye-roll puzzle that I did ten goddamn years ago.

I solved the first one, then on the second I became so obsessed with trying to make one eye roll that I got frustrated and blamed the motion controls before realizing I just have to make both eyes roll together.

Great to know my puzzle solving skills have barely improved in a decade. Overall the motion controls aren't so bad, but wow are they everywhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

It pisses it down in Akkala like 90% of the time. Plot out the path between lamps, and see if you can get any lined up to shoot arrows through one to another.

I used the arrow trick in one spot to get the lamp across the lake lit but when it's just pouring rain there isn't anything you can do. Arrows won't light, torches won't light... I just went to the stable nearby and stayed the night until it stopped raining.

It was doubly frustrating because I forgot to take care of the decayed guardian AND a yiga clan dude (the big ones because I'd already defeated the leader) showed up and they made me drop the flame AND THEN IT RAINED FOR THREE DAYS.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's why you always deliver the flame on a horse and just don't stop for nobody. Takes about two minutes, and you can light some easy torches along the way for insurance

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

superjew posted:

I'm having a mental crisis because I did the exact same thing on the eye-roll puzzle that I did ten goddamn years ago.

I solved the first one, then on the second I became so obsessed with trying to make one eye roll that I got frustrated and blamed the motion controls before realizing I just have to make both eyes roll together.

Great to know my puzzle solving skills have barely improved in a decade. Overall the motion controls aren't so bad, but wow are they everywhere.

on the three eye puzzle I got stuck trying to figure out how to make the spider swing the right direction long enough so I could stand in it's spot to do the thing. turns out you needed to kill the spider, which was easy, but until that moment I didn't know I could do a "straight stab" by clicking in the control stick.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

on the three eye puzzle I got stuck trying to figure out how to make the spider swing the right direction long enough so I could stand in it's spot to do the thing. turns out you needed to kill the spider, which was easy, but until that moment I didn't know I could do a "straight stab" by clicking in the control stick.

The perils of having non-mandatory tutorials.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm tickled pink that so many people are having issues with puzzles that Fi originally wouldn't keep her piehole shut about

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You're supposed to have issues with them, otherwise they're not really puzzles.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Having just started playing sshd, I just want to point out that the flying tutorial tells you (twice), explicitly, that to gain speed you should flap your controller to go up and then dive, and people still complained that it never told them, so I think this game is just doomed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phosphine posted:

Having just started playing sshd, I just want to point out that the flying tutorial tells you (twice), explicitly, that to gain speed you should flap your controller to go up and then dive, and people still complained that it never told them, so I think this game is just doomed.

Flap to go up !== Forward cruising speed, which is where the disconnect is. Also it infers the proper way to fly is to dive and soar on the upturn, which doesn't work, rather than flap repeatedly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, the Sandship is a fun level. I really like when they pull off a really good "dungeon" that's actually designed around some completely different type of location (see also the mansion in TP). And it makes good use of the timeshift gimmick, which really needs to come back in another game.
It's just a shame that the boss looks like a stupid Pixar reject. It's a legit neat setpiece leading into the fight, and the fight itself is fun too. It just would've ended on a much better note if the boss design had gone with their more realistic design style to make it seem like an actual threat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

And it makes good use of the timeshift gimmick, which really needs to come back in another game.

I don't remember how it worked in SS but Titanfall 2 has a level based around timeshifting and it's amazing. Though you probably meant another Zelda.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

sigher posted:

I don't remember how it worked in SS but Titanfall 2 has a level based around timeshifting and it's amazing. Though you probably meant another Zelda.

Oh yeah, I meant within the franchise, but TF2's campaign is fun as hell and everyone should play it too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what I don’t like about the flying is that without flying through a boost ring it never feels like I’m going fast even if I’m doing everything right. And there’s not always gonna be a boost ring along the way to where you’re going. It’s just involved enough that I can’t relax and zone out like sailing in WW or riding my horse in BoTW but isn’t rewarding enough to actually be fun. It’s just boring.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

what I don’t like about the flying is that without flying through a boost ring it never feels like I’m going fast even if I’m doing everything right. And there’s not always gonna be a boost ring along the way to where you’re going. It’s just involved enough that I can’t relax and zone out like sailing in WW or riding my horse in BoTW but isn’t rewarding enough to actually be fun. It’s just boring.

Now THIS is an entirely valid criticism imo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

thanks bloop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Don't forget repeatedly going to the random isles on the Eastern side to get chests, where there are no Boost Rings facing that way.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

sigher posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I meant within the franchise, but TF2's campaign is fun as hell and everyone should play it too.

I remember that. I signed up for PS+ for one month, and that was the free game. I knew that I wasn't going to keep the subscription and I don't give a toss about multiplayer, so I played the campaign. I would call it enjoyable but not spectacular, but the timeshift level stood out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BOTW emulation and modding on PC continues to be amazing. Here’s 8K and ray tracing:

https://youtu.be/siyKPvq-10Y

https://kotaku.com/you-ve-never-seen-breath-of-the-wild-look-this-good-bef-1847449056