Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Isizzlehorn posted:

I wonder when the breaking point is for all the hospitals and staff, how many people need to get sick and overflow the hospitals and field tents and how many bodies it takes before they just walk. Like, if we will ever see the full breakdown of healthcare in the US.

We are gonna lose way more healthcare staff to vaccine mandates than due to covid directly

Still wont break healthcare. It'll suck to be in the areas with shortages for a month or two then go back to the same care, only a bit shittier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Spoondick posted:

looks like statewide missouri is at about 16% positivity up from about a 5% baseline positivity earlier in the summer, they are missing a lot of cases

There was a positivity rate of 30% last March, that didn't prevent measuring an R of 1.5-2.0. I don't understand how R is calculated but I figured if Delta has an R of 10 then even missing 80% of cases we'd see an R of 2.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

DoombatINC posted:

At my old job I commuted an hour and a half to an office in the Seattle area so that I could launch a remote session on a server in Canada and work from there, then commuted an hour and a half home; I did this for seven years

When the company shut down my office and relocated the branch to Florida I said, hey, why don't I just work remotely from home, since literally everything I do is on a server in Canada anyways - they said, no, what we want to do is move your family to Florida at great expense so that you can continue commuting to an office and working on a remote server in Canada

Bureaucracies are sick and insane :shrug:

[padme meme] you told them suck your nuts, right?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Business Gorillas posted:

whenever families with kids comes up between me and my therapist, she starts a 1,000 yard stare :lol:

I for one am supremely glad my kid is too young for school and we have a nanny share going with two friends who are WFH programmers on the same wavelength. The guy is a longtime buddy of mine for who I am the "science knowing friend", so he's been listening to a filtered version of CSPAM news from me. Full CSPAM would probably give him the crack without the ping.

Christ, I'd have gone nuts if I had to send my kid to the COVID mines without even a vaccine.

mastershakeman posted:

We are gonna lose way more healthcare staff to vaccine mandates than due to covid directly

Still wont break healthcare. It'll suck to be in the areas with shortages for a month or two then go back to the same care, only a bit shittier

... uh oh. CSPAM's most consistently wrong poster has spoken. We're deeply hosed. I hope my wife doesn't get drafted from her relatively safe RadOnc clinic to the hospital covid mines.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Covid is over, infrastructure is happening

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

drat some people are dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLODGhEyLvk

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Palladium posted:

Isn't psychology the art of not addressing the root cause of mental illness called capitalism

my psychologist spouse who sees Medicaid often tells me they can’t fix society, they don’t do therapy just evaluations and reports but if your life situation is poo poo then kinda hard to get your material needs in order to get the help you need

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Man believing in an omnipotent being that gives and withholds its favor through some inscrutable mechanism sounds exhausting

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Isizzlehorn posted:

I wonder when the breaking point is for all the hospitals and staff, how many people need to get sick and overflow the hospitals and field tents and how many bodies it takes before they just walk. Like, if we will ever see the full breakdown of healthcare in the US.

I don't know if 'we'll see it', as in it will be on the news or whatever.

but of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana at least one will pop real bad regionally, if not statewide, over the next 4-8 weeks.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't know if 'we'll see it', as in it will be on the news or whatever.

but of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana at least one will pop real bad regionally, if not statewide, over the next 4-8 weeks.

Don't forget Texas.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

there have been an uncountable number of these stories and no one cares

the only thing that will change peoples minds is someone they personally care about dying of covid and even then its probably a coin flip whether they instead decide it was an invisible government ray gun that did it

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Joey Steel posted:

Don't forget Texas.

I think the others are more likely than Texas.

Can't say why, probably that I'm actually in Georgia vs. elsewhere.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mola Yam posted:

[padme meme] you told them suck your nuts, right?

oh absolutely, "either we move you to Florida or we cut you a thick severance check" isn't the kind of choice you need to sleep on

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They're already sending children from Houston hospitals to ones in Dallas. Wife's friends work in the local Children's hospital, and it's sounding pretty drat bad. Schools aren't even open yet in either city.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isizzlehorn posted:

this is what I was trying to get at yesterday - you can't sustain a non-eliminationist approach to COVID because it's going to kill, debilitate, and demoralize healthcare workers faster than they can be replaced

like, the government here has said that we should be good as long as COVID levels remain low enough that there are always beds available, but that's a ghastly thing to ask because it means perpetually maintaining COVID wards

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Why's she letting God off the hook here?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol from facebook misinformation to hopes & prayers and jesus worship turned to 11
her kid got it at summer camp and brought it home
hmm.. good thing schools are opening

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Forseti posted:

Why's she letting God off the hook here?

So sad. Never even considered that god wanted her husband dead. What about god's feelings?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Man, God did her family dirty.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The next step im pretty sure is partnering with similarly aggrieved individuals to attack and dethrone god

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Dammerung posted:

Man, God did her family dirty.

Pretty sure she got pranked by a kid with a radio mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpSCfFMmve8

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Penisaurus Sex posted:

All the major hospitals in georgia are pretty much full, most are diverting all emergencies away. You can sort of track how bad the state is by watching https://georgiarcc.org/, its already a shitshow and only going to get worse

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Shear Modulus posted:

what makes them better than the 50-pack of KN95s i've been drawing down on for the past year

did you get the 50 pack at costco business center? you can bet your sweet rear end i did

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Forseti posted:

Pretty sure she got pranked by a kid with a radio mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpSCfFMmve8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ4gGCCqss

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm trying to get my parents to wear real masks so I'm mailing a bundle of n95s and kf94s tomorrow morning. Then the hard test comes to keep my mother from going to poo poo rear end chain restaurants constantly anyway.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pead posted:

All the major hospitals in georgia are pretty much full, most are diverting all emergencies away. You can sort of track how bad the state is by watching https://georgiarcc.org/, its already a shitshow and only going to get worse

seems useless for my county (Chatham) but I just assume everything is hosed and I absolutely do not want to be in a hospital for any reason for the next couple of months.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gonna laugh if biden ends up deploying the hospital ships that trump deployed a while ago

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
This has all been very illustrative that when a person is president makes or breaks their presidency.

Trump is probably the least bad Republican president of the post-WW2 era while Biden has a real shot at being the straight up worst president ever. All that separates the two is that COVID hit in Trump’s last year and Biden’s first.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
conditions shape the office and the person holding that office more than that person really is able to do anything

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Trump is probably the least bad Republican president of the post-WW2 era while Biden has a real shot at being the straight up worst president ever.

Hmm I dunno about that

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
On standby for a 30 day FEMA covid relief deployment to a major city in the south lol, so glad we beat covid already. I'll know if my strike team gets selected tomorrow I guess.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Is there a thread around here for medical professionals telling COVID war stories?

if there is, it will make me too angry to post my own,

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
LOL

Tiktok is the best comedy site now

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6987541830069931270

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Zokari posted:

there have been an uncountable number of these stories and no one cares

the only thing that will change peoples minds is someone they personally care about dying of covid and even then its probably a coin flip whether they instead decide it was an invisible government ray gun that did it

My wife has some super-chud cousins who live in deep redneck Pennsylvania. COVID killed their dad in the worst way possible, two months of fully conscious decline with massive pain and organ failure, never got bad enough to go on a vent and slip away peacefully. Just two months of suffering and then dead. The day he died he told them all to get vaccinated.

None of them did and the last two weeks Delta has been hitting them hard and probably one of the younger ones is going to die. They are all still preaching anti-vax bullshit.

It doesn't end til they are in the ground.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Shiroc posted:

I'm trying to get my parents to wear real masks so I'm mailing a bundle of n95s and kf94s tomorrow morning. Then the hard test comes to keep my mother from going to poo poo rear end chain restaurants constantly anyway.

I talked to my dad today and his plan to treat my mom for her birthday (after she spent a month in Alabama trying to help her dying father get care) is to take her to "BJ's Brewpub".

he explained to me that it's a "Cheesecake Factory style place" and I said nothing because I fuckin know what it is and he's a goddamn fuckin idiot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Everyone saying that Trump was good are just chuds trying to be sneaky right? Like Biden loving sucks, Trump loving sucked in many of the same but occasionally wildly stupid ways. Stop trying to push 'actually Trump was p good' poo poo you idiots.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Trump had some good instincts on things but was also an absolute shithead surrounded by even worse people. Don't get it twisted though -- Trump was only good to the extent that he radicalized the population, not anything he actually did.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I keep hearing stories about people trying to get their parents to take this seriously and it makes me realize I need to tell my Mom how much I appreciate her. She started wearing n95s back in March 2020 and stopped going to church last winter because they stopped outdoor services. In June when cases started dropping I told her "I think it's okay to go back to church if you want." and she said "Not yet."

She lives in Alabama.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Shiroc posted:

Everyone saying that Trump was good are just chuds trying to be sneaky right? Like Biden loving sucks, Trump loving sucked in many of the same but occasionally wildly stupid ways. Stop trying to push 'actually Trump was p good' poo poo you idiots.

I never said this, I said that he was the least bad Republican president since WW2.

that’s a very specific statement and one I’d defend considering his competition. that does not make him, ‘good’ hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I talked to my dad today and his plan to treat my mom for her birthday (after she spent a month in Alabama trying to help her dying father get care) is to take her to "BJ's Brewpub".

he explained to me that it's a "Cheesecake Factory style place" and I said nothing because I fuckin know what it is and he's a goddamn fuckin idiot.

Don’t piss on your mom’s enjoyment of southwestern avocado Buffalo chicken rolls