Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Can Wii U emulation play any other games? I have a functional Wii U so I'm not tempted, but I have a feeling that everything else is being neglected in favour of more Korok seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm playing BotW through cemu now and it looks great. my only complaint is that I wish I could get the draw distance to be far enough out

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm playing BotW through cemu now and it looks great. my only complaint is that I wish I could get the draw distance to be far enough out

That fort has bokoblins on it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, the Sandship is a fun level. I really like when they pull off a really good "dungeon" that's actually designed around some completely different type of location (see also the mansion in TP). And it makes good use of the timeshift gimmick, which really needs to come back in another game.
It's just a shame that the boss looks like a stupid Pixar reject. It's a legit neat setpiece leading into the fight, and the fight itself is fun too. It just would've ended on a much better note if the boss design had gone with their more realistic design style to make it seem like an actual threat.

That boss seemed like a joke or maybe non-motion controls just broke it. It was literally just slashing and stabbing really quickly and thoughtlessly and he got endlessly pushed back. They called him back to the final dungeon and he was even easier then. I could tell they wanted to do some kind of tug-of-war push-pull thing, but in practice you whack him off, his cutscene pushes him forward a bit, and you just push him immediately back. I felt bad, like I was bullying this poor skellyman who was not programmed with a way to fight my advanced technique of "wiggle stick."

JustJeff88 posted:

Can Wii U emulation play any other games? I have a functional Wii U so I'm not tempted, but I have a feeling that everything else is being neglected in favour of more Korok seeds.

Are there any Wii U games left that haven't been ported to Switch/Yuzu yet? Only one I can think of is the original Mario Maker and they've already butchered that. I also think there was some kind of mash-up mario game based off of a much better flash game that got shut down, but IIRC Nintendo also did something to that to gently caress it up, because why not, "we're nintendo, gently caress you."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

b_d posted:

the reason video game ratings are weighted so high is simply that all video games are epic, such that the very worst of them still reach 50 or 60% of peak human achievement.

this

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Are there any Wii U games left that haven't been ported to Switch/Yuzu yet? Only one I can think of is the original Mario Maker and they've already butchered that. I also think there was some kind of mash-up mario game based off of a much better flash game that got shut down, but IIRC Nintendo also did something to that to gently caress it up, because why not, "we're nintendo, gently caress you."

Off the top of my head, Xenoblade Chronicles X? That's the biggest one left I think.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Khanstant posted:

That boss seemed like a joke or maybe non-motion controls just broke it. It was literally just slashing and stabbing really quickly and thoughtlessly and he got endlessly pushed back. They called him back to the final dungeon and he was even easier then. I could tell they wanted to do some kind of tug-of-war push-pull thing, but in practice you whack him off, his cutscene pushes him forward a bit, and you just push him immediately back. I felt bad, like I was bullying this poor skellyman who was not programmed with a way to fight my advanced technique of "wiggle stick."

Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD. Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

As long as BOTW2 features at least 4 Hyrule Castle type dungeons I'll be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 10, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wind Waker HD is great on CEMU but it looks like it can only be 30 fps :(

Still great though.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I think in my replay of SS (via SSHD) I legit experienced the Mandela Effect.
I was absolutely certain that at some point, when he's in the Eldin Volcano area (so, probably around the Fire Sanctuary), Gorko says something like "A guy could get used to this!" about the climate in the volcano area, which would have been a little joke about how the Gorons live there once its known as Death Mountain in other games, but I never actually came across that line in the game. I checked the game's script and I couldn't find anything either. Did I really just imagine it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

BOTW emulation and modding on PC continues to be amazing. Here’s 8K and ray tracing:

https://youtu.be/siyKPvq-10Y

https://kotaku.com/you-ve-never-seen-breath-of-the-wild-look-this-good-bef-1847449056

BOTW definitely doesn't need raytracing and it only make the game look worse. The blown out sky looks bad. The 8K and 60fps is beautiful though.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Prime Trilogy is a Wii title, but my addition is Yoshi's Woolly World; I think there's a 3DS port but it doesn't have the co-op so no thanks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

BOTW definitely doesn't need raytracing and it only make the game look worse. The blown out sky looks bad. The 8K and 60fps is beautiful though.

Blown out? There's only one shot where it's super bright and seems just like weather + time of day, same kind of thing can happen unmodded looking at the sun side of sky at certain times. The only thing I notice in this I don't like is the way close-in ground plant decals take a second to pop-in for the tiniest details. Looks like the original does that as well, but it's less noticeable because the whole game's muddier and smaller and they don't cast shadows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'd say we're probably two years out from a re-release of WW and TP; Next year is BOTW2, and we might get lucky to see those drop as build-up to a holiday-window release, or they just might not want them oversaturating the year at all and sideline any possibility of either of them til 2023 at the earliest.

sigher posted:

Prime Trilogy is a Wii title, but my addition is Yoshi's Woolly World; I think there's a 3DS port but it doesn't have the co-op so no thanks.

Yeah, the 3DS got a port and Woolly World sorely needs a remaster. About the only other exclusive left is Nintendo World.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Honestly what I want is a remake of the Oracle games in the Link's Awakening remake engine. I know a lot of people disliked that remake and the toybox style it went with but I found it really charming and the Oracle games are legit incredible. Doubt it'll happen given Capcom was involved with the originals but I can dream.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Honestly what I want is a remake of the Oracle games in the Link's Awakening remake engine. I know a lot of people disliked that remake and the toybox style it went with but I found it really charming and the Oracle games are legit incredible. Doubt it'll happen given Capcom was involved with the originals but I can dream.

1000% agree, and also anyone who disliked the remake's style is objectively wrong :colbert:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Link Between Worlds prz

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Soooo basically any time someone asks me what superpower I would like that isn’t OP poo poo like flying, invincibility, time travel etc, my answer has always been something along the lines of “the ability to perceive the world around me in X alternate timeline, where event Y did or didn’t happen”

I’ve just reached the point of this game where time stones become a thing and uhhhh holy poo poo, it’s the magical power I always wanted

This game rules

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Soooo basically any time someone asks me what superpower I would like that isn’t OP poo poo like flying, invincibility, time travel etc, my answer has always been something along the lines of “the ability to perceive the world around me in X alternate timeline, where event Y did or didn’t happen”

I’ve just reached the point of this game where time stones become a thing and uhhhh holy poo poo, it’s the magical power I always wanted

This game rules

Peeking into worlds where things could have gone better if Y happened seems extremely depressing, if you don't also have the ability to either retroactively make Y happen, or go live in X timeline.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've got good news for you... and bad news.

This is the best possible timeline.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1425085832503779330?s=21

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was disappointing because I expected... something else to happen.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:same:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I was really hoping to see lots of little white specs appear around and proceed to beat the poo poo out of that guardian

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That was certainly a cock tease.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

:dadjoke:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think in the Zelda world you're supposed to say you got Cucced

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

Blown out?
He was confusing the sky for his butthole. It happens.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Goblin Craft posted:

I've got good news for you... and bad news.

This is the best possible timeline.

An optimist thinks that this is the best of all worlds. A pessimist fears that this is so.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Absolutely this. I also didn't hugely care for the art style of the LA remake, but 'thing's looking nice' is something that people place far too much importance on. I just want to be able to enjoy the Oracle games without the hosed up password & transfer system.

Khanstant posted:

What did they do to MM1? I burned out quickly on the Mario Maker games because the game-buying public are mostly numbskulls who don't know how to design levels. I don't either, but I don't pretend that I can and put them online.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 10, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

They released Mario Maker 2 (naturally) and just recently took down the MM1 online stuff so you can only play levels you already downloaded and built-in levels.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Just Andi Now posted:

They released Mario Maker 2 (naturally) and just recently took down the MM1 online stuff so you can only play levels you already downloaded and built-in levels.

gently caress the fan base, there was money to be made. I'm amazed to this day that the Wii U shop is still up - I need to back up my poo poo.

I personally think that even MM2 is a disappointment. There was so much other stuff that they could have added, but they didn't.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:xd:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hope the sequel lets you store more photos

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hyrule Snap when

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hyrule Snap when

march 2017

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Some random thoughts I've had since getting through the first three dungeons of Skyward Sword:

- Resetting the pointer on the joy-con is its own minigame that I'm constantly playing. Oddly I do like that when I have to bowl an object I can't do it sitting and have to stand up for a moment (I'm on a sofa, I'm sure a chair would be fine).

- I had forgotten how cartoony this game is outside of the cinematics. It feels like the mediocre of both worlds between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I'd definitely rather play either or both instead. Skyward Sword doesn't do anything better that they already did, best that I can recall.

- The Fi interruptions are better but anytime a map is part of one the momentum is lost. It's up long enough to feel too long but it's not up long enough for me to get enough from it to not have to go back and open it again.

- The NPC dialogue is great, everyone throws fully-deserved shade at Link. The writing is good but some of the NPCs feel very flat (Gaepora doesn't feel like Zelda's father at all).

- The cutscene where Groose follows you through the cloud barrier is a shot in the arm that the game desperately needs at that point. Groose is the narrative master sword of this game.

I'm going to try playing in handheld mode on a trip this week, I'm curious to see how differently frustrating it might be.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

superjew posted:

Some random thoughts I've had since getting through the first three dungeons of Skyward Sword:

- Resetting the pointer on the joy-con is its own minigame that I'm constantly playing. Oddly I do like that when I have to bowl an object I can't do it sitting and have to stand up for a moment (I'm on a sofa, I'm sure a chair would be fine).

I really do suspect that Nintendo had drunk so much of its own marketing kool-aid that the idea of anyone playing the game sat down, as opposed to standing in front of a TV surrounded by their smiling elderly relatives, that they never even considered the logistics of pointing the wiimote/joycon directly down when there's a sofa cushion in the way

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

superjew posted:

- I had forgotten how cartoony this game is outside of the cinematics. It feels like the mediocre of both worlds between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I'd definitely rather play either or both instead. Skyward Sword doesn't do anything better that they already did, best that I can recall.

Interestingly I always thought SS was better for this hybrid art style. While I love Wind Waker's crazy expressive cartoonishness I always felt like Twilight Princess went way too hard into edgy realism 50 shades of brown territory. Great game with some really cool dungeons but boy some of the character models are rough and I have memories of the lighting in that game really washing out stuff a lot.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Interestingly I always thought SS was better for this hybrid art style. While I love Wind Waker's crazy expressive cartoonishness I always felt like Twilight Princess went way too hard into edgy realism 50 shades of brown territory. Great game with some really cool dungeons but boy some of the character models are rough and I have memories of the lighting in that game really washing out stuff a lot.

HD at least fixes Twilight Princess's massive problem with bloom, though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'll take Skyward Sword's graphics over TP's any day. On a technical level I think they're honestly about equal but at least Nintendo remembered colors exist in Skyward Sword which automatically makes it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So far I'm 16 hours into SSHD, first time playing it.

I love the graphics style, so colorful.

e: Liking the game a lot too, but I keep blowing my rear end up with bombs