Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

new Plex server card just dropped

That's a lot of money to simply not use Intel QSV instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

i have til end of day (pacific time) to decide if i want this 3080ti step up

anyone want to buy for cost?

An FTW3, right? What is "cost" right now on those?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Alan Smithee posted:

The ekwb ftw3 3080 block will fit that right? I've been aiming to get a 3080 or 3080ti since last year but missed any good queue positions because I foolishly waited to see what full coverage water blocks would be compatible...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Scythe posted:

An FTW3, right? What is "cost" right now on those?
yup
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-3967-KR

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

pretty tempting considering every 3080 seems put into a bundle to make it 1400 dollars anyways

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Man, I want to say "yes" to this but I just don't think I can justify it over a 3080 non-Ti. Someone should do this though!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oof. This is on a title that's particularly needy when it comes to VRAM bandwidth. There are options to reduce this with little to no drawback (Doom Eternal wants unnecessarily large memory buffers by default), but these results give you a kind of window into the future. Nobody who has a PCIe Gen 3 board/cpu should buy this card. It seems like a particularly bad long-term value, especially if memory requirements continue to grow to the point where working around those issues does start compromising visual quality in some way. There's little to no performance decrease in titles that aren't bandwidth-limited, but we're only going to see more cases like this over time.

edit: Since I didn't give this post the necessary context, the 6600 XT is a PCIe x8 card. It has half as much PCIe bandwidth available to it in whatever mode you run it in (3.0, 4.0). In 4.0 this doesn't matter, that's enough bandwidth. In 3.0, in some games like Doom Eternal it hurts a lot, while in others it doesn't matter as much. The 6600 XT also has crummy memory bandwidth, which also hurts it in Doom Eternal's settings presets (though this can be tuned). You can expect both of these to become bigger issues than they currently are over the coming years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What are you showing there -- that the 6600 XT runs noticeably faster on a PCIe 4.0 board?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
$380 GPU launching with the same memory bandwidth as a $240 GPU from 5 years ago is a bold move. The closest comparison I can make for Nvidia is the $399 3060 Ti vs the $250 GTX 1060 6GB, with 2.33X the memory bandwidth. Big fat oof in an area where AMD was historically strong.

Sagebrush posted:

What are you showing there -- that the 6600 XT runs noticeably faster on a PCIe 4.0 board?

The reverse. It's dog slow on PCI-E 3.0 because it doesn't have enough memory bandwidth and without PCI-E 4.0 bandwidth to help it out, it falls on its face and loses to the 5600XT.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

That it runs noticeably slower on a PCIe 3.0 board. The 6600 XT is only a PCIe x8 card, so it has half as many lanes to work with than a typical GPU. As a result, in applications that demand a lot of bandwidth, it performs way worse than it should when paired with a 3.0 board. The 6600 XT is slower than even the previous-generation 5600 XT in that configuration. With 4.0 boards that bottleneck disappears, though that screenshot shows a second problem, the 128-bit memory bus width. Thanks it that, it performs worse than the cheaper 3060, even at PCIe 4.0.

Since this is a "budget" board (at $380 MSRP/likely $600 actual street price lol), you can assume that a large percentage of the buyers will still be on PCIe 3.0 platforms.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Paul MaudDib posted:

new Plex server card just dropped

I just built a new Plex server and we just stream everything from it.
Onboard graphics is more than enough for it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

change my name posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22618030/nvidia-rtx-a2000-gpu-workstation-specs-features-price

The bastards did it, an RTX card that draws power off of the slot only (70 watts). I know it's a workstation card but I guess that's promising for down the line

how does this compare to the laptop Ampere cards

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oof. This is on a title that's particularly needy when it comes to VRAM bandwidth. There are options to reduce this with little to no drawback (Doom Eternal wants unnecessarily large memory buffers by default), but these results give you a kind of window into the future.
[...]
edit: Since I didn't give this post the necessary context, the 6600 XT is a PCIe x8 card. It has half as much PCIe bandwidth available to it in whatever mode you run it in (3.0, 4.0). In 4.0 this doesn't matter, that's enough bandwidth. In 3.0, in some games like Doom Eternal it hurts a lot, while in others it doesn't matter as much.

Isn't it the opposite? Dooms massive VRAM buffers means that assets stick around in VRAM for longer before being kicked out, reducing PCIe pressure.

If you lowered the texture pool size it would have to upload assets more often and make the problem even worse.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If I had to guess why Doom Eternal in particular is choking I'd point to the framerate, the per-frame buffer uploads are happening >200 times per second and chewing up tons of PCIe bandwidth. If so the gap would go away at higher resolutions.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Turmoil posted:

For most stuff, integrated graphics and QuickSync will be fine. I’ve been using a i7 3770S with integrated graphics for years and it’s still great.

But the point of the GPU builds is for Big Nerd stuff like doing hardware accelerated live transcode and/or multiroom simultaneous 4k/60 playback and stuff. 1% of user stuff, but super cool regardless.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

That's a lot of money to simply not use Intel QSV instead.

turing/ampere (6th/7th generation) nvenc is a lot better than QSV at the kinds of bitrates where you'd want to be re-encoding though

like, if you're streaming to your phone or tablet on some lovely wifi at a hotel or an airport or whatever, you're going to want to squish the bandwidth as much as possible, and that's where NVENC comes into its own. Or if you have a limited upstream bandwidth and you want to push multiple streams out - a 10mbps internet upload connection is going to be a struggle to upload two 1080p streams unless you've got pretty good quality at lower bitrates. Twitch streamers normally struggle with a 10mbps stream at 1080p, even with movies generally having less motion (compared to a game where the viewports are flipping all over constantly) that's still going to be a struggle.

at higher bandwidth streaming inside the home - yeah, not too much of a difference. but what kind of device doesn't play anything you'd capture/download at this point? hardware h265 support has been around for a long time in mobile devices and Rokus and Chromecasts and that sort of thing, and even Skylake has support for 8-bit HEVC. And most people do their captures (or :pcgaming1: their movies) in H264 anyway.

tbh though I haven't seen QSV output quality re-evaluated vs NVENC since Xe-based chips came out. It would be interesting to know if quality has improved with Ice Lake/Tiger Lake/Rocket Lake.

it's also worth pointing out that Turing/Ampere NVENC is basically so good that you can capture to fairly low bitrates without losing much quality - which is a big advantage if you're capturing cable or OTA television. Instead of doing a thing where you capture a show in high bitrate and then squish it down for storage, you can just capture at storage level bitrates. Or if you were doing a video surveillance system, you could reduce the amount of write bandwidth you needed, and increase your retention times for a given amount of storage.

Turmoil posted:

i'm a mega dweeb about video quality

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Paul? A dweeb? Idk doesn't check out

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

turing/ampere (6th/7th generation) nvenc is a lot better than QSV at the kinds of bitrates where you'd want to be re-encoding though

I used to run a DVR that re-encoded all it's recordings through QSV accelerated 264 and never noticed much if any quality loss. And these days I re-encode stuff, often on CPU, to compession-over-quality 265 and use devices that can natively play 265. 1080p bitrates over 2megabits or whatever are just meaningless to me, sorry.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Statutory Ape posted:

Paul? A dweeb? Idk doesn't check out

lmbo I was pointing out the merits of optane SSDs for ZFS SLOG / metadata / DB transactional data / etc in terms of write/read latency (poo poo's orders of magnitude faster yo) with one of our senior Oracle sysdba / unix wizards and he was like, "paul... you know nobody but us and maybe Coworker cares about any of this"

remotely swirlied by the senior nerd :negative:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Checking the situation after a month again and it seems nothing has changed - plenty of 3080s/Tis in stock for prices nobody is seemingly willing to pay.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Speaking of encoding

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1425390334385827842?s=20

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if somebody showed me an 8k broadcast on an 8k tv i would say it looked weird compared to my zenith and scurry away

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All that effort for such low ratings.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Next Olympic ratings will be such garbage in probably every country but one

The ones coming in 6 months I mean lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ibHJC1nyw

lmao this heatsink looks like it came from a 1030, just with a couple fans attached.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Next Olympic ratings will be such garbage in probably every country but one

The ones coming in 6 months I mean lmao

if China can bring Sochi levels of shitshow I'm all for it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the qatar world cup next year (soccer) is going to be the biggest sporting clusterfuck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

early shuffle start time today

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's all 6600XTs at.. not terrible prices

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lol 6600 XT only.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If it's easy to get at MSRP, then it becomes a more appealing value proposition when compared to the inflated price of everything else. Just don't buy it if you're gonna put it in a PCIe 3 slot, as discussed above.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Probably don't get the biostar one

Whoever said the cooler looked like it was for a 1030 nailed it.

I had an msi 1050 and an msi 1050ti with better coolers and both were under $170 I think?

I miss that low pro 1050ti. Back before the world changed I was itt pining for what the future might hold for the 1050ti/1650(all varieties etc ) level of card

The reality seems as somebody mentioned earlier; low end gaming will all be done via apu/igpu whatever eventually. It's hard to argue with that I suppose, it will be nice to firmly be in a territory where all laptops even on integrated can run modern games at some level of playability

I assume it'll happen when ddr5 becomes a real thing?

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 11, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

6600XT is a $200 card they can charge $400 for cause us little piggies love our slop

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would be okay as a $300 card or thereabouts... but then again I think every card from both sides is around $100 more than it should be.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Strix 6600XT in the shuffle is $550 lol

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Welp my 1080ti poo poo the bed last night. I've fixed it numerous times already but I think it's finally done now. No mining on it, just thousands of hours of gaming and I can't get upset because it was a serious workhorse of a card. Prices here went back up again, although it doesn't really matter because you can't find loving anything. I've had a confirmed order for an LHR model that hasn't budged since launch. Likewise been queued with eVGA for multiple SKUs since like December and nadda. I've had the money to do a new build for well over a year and still can't. Such a frustrating situation, I've been building PCs since I was a kid and I'm getting shut out of my own hobby by scalpers and nonsense. Maybe it is time to just stick to consoles, paying these sorts of prices for videocards is just insane when I built entire rigs for nearly as much just two years ago.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If that were I, I would game off of a laptop in the interim. Probably plugged into all my old peripherals and then resold when market conditions were to my preference.

If prices normalize I'd rather lose money in whatever I can't recoup on the laptop than in scalper markup on GPUs

E: also btw I am sorry that this happened, otoh, I suspect that "Im gonna go get a PS5" may not be the answer to "I'm noticing lovely supplies of this electronic I want"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

njsykora posted:

All that effort for such low ratings.

This technology is bought by IOC for use with every broadcaster around the world, including the many that are state-funded public interest channel that don’t give a poo poo about ratings.

But also as a simple cable subscription now gets you On Demand foods of so many events, it’s understandable the ratings for NBC’s traditional prime time show have fallen. People who bought the Olympic Triplecast in 1992 probably watched less NBC too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

If that were I, I would game off of a laptop in the interim. Probably plugged into all my old peripherals and then resold when market conditions were to my preference.

If prices normalize I'd rather lose money in whatever I can't recoup on the laptop than in scalper markup on GPUs

E: also btw I am sorry that this happened, otoh, I suspect that "Im gonna go get a PS5" may not be the answer to "I'm noticing lovely supplies of this electronic I want"

I don't have a laptop with a good enough videocard. I had an order in for a Legion with a 3070 but it was November at the earliest so I cancelled it.

I already own a PS5, it was much easier to obtain and I got it at MSRP :( I'm not sure what I need to do to obtain a videocard but I'm warming up to human sacrifice because god drat this poo poo is dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
legit availability is waaaaaay better and still kind of trending that way, at least for new cards. get on a stock discord and play the lovely waiting game, sec i can dig up some advice from back when i was hunting...

CoolCab posted:

I got an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070 for 584 quid delivered after about a week of looking which I am very happy with. In my case it was a report from a stock discord that scan.co.uk were accepting order requests via their messaging service then parleying that into talking to a sales rep on the phone because "well, your other rep said to call this number" and being polite and kind in my interactions with a very very tired sounding salesperson at 1728 on a Friday. I also as aftercare wrote a very kind letter thanking him personally to his customer service department, then following their request putting a very positive review up on Trustpilot. I got very, very, very very very lucky, but cards do exist and a combination of fortune and being nice managed to get me sorted. I recommend it - these reps go from being screamed at by miners to being screamed at by gamers, and a little honey goes a long way.

CoolCab posted:

yeah like I say I'm very happy with the card. i set out a range for what i wanted to buy (a 3060, a 3060ti or a 3070) with the stipulation I wouldn't pay more than £100 over the FE's retail price (which honestly seems like kind of a fantasy now)

CoolCab posted:

in this specific instance they got a shipment of cards in but for whatever reason weren't putting them on the website right away, something was down or something? anyway following other people in the discord i put in a request via their automated message system, got a pricelist and could use that as an in. i suspect it happens somewhat frequently given they appear to have their own backend for telesales calls but i also heard chatter that the sales reps got told off for wasting their time answering these calls all day, no idea how true it is.

so, mostly luck.