Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
is the SCP RPG specifically about playing the hapless mooks who always die in the logs or the self-insert hero teams that always do a badass job of containing horrors?
If it's just the former "The dice are chaotic and weird and you're more likely to create a failure cascade than critically succeed" might be thematically appropriate.
Of course practically every other exploding dice mechanic was just built by people who didn't know their own system math so this could be in that proud tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still waiting for a Control rpg.
There is one, called In Case of an Emergency. It's like a two-page ultra-lite indie game, though, so probably not want you want. (Remember that big argument we had about whether a rules-lite indie game was the perfect platform for a Dark Souls tabletop?)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All those rpgs sound cool, actually.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Really, a SCP game that emulates the direction of the site for the last like 5 years would basically just be Esoterrorists. It's moved away from monsters and to some extent horror in general towards in-depth narrative investigation of unsettling weird things.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

GimpInBlack posted:

• Dice that explode in an inexplicably counterintuitiveextremely dumb way (a d8 that explodes adds a new d10 to your dice pool, a d10 adds 2d12, and a d12 adds a d20). The reason you don't just get another die of the same size like every other exploding dice system ever is that these are explicitly added to your dice pool, not the total of the exploding die, and thus are still subject to the "only keep the two highest" rule. Yes, that means that your "exploded" d8 has an 80% chance of being worthless.

Is there a reason that when d10s explode you suddenly add 2d12?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

GimpInBlack posted:

The basic mechanic is straightforward enough, it's a dice pool system where you take your two highest-rolling dice, add a proficiency, compare to a DC. After that, though, it gets... well. Some highlights from the DTRPG preview:
  • Attributes are made up of dice, which form the pool that you roll. But the number and size appears to be arbitrary--the example given is that you could have a Strength of "5d8 and 2d10."
  • Difficulty values are in whole numbers, but skill ranks add decimals to your result (e.g. if you roll a 12 and have 7 points in a skill, you have a result of 12.7).
  • Dice that explode in an inexplicably counterintuitiveextremely dumb way (a d8 that explodes adds a new d10 to your dice pool, a d10 adds 2d12, and a d12 adds a d20). The reason you don't just get another die of the same size like every other exploding dice system ever is that these are explicitly added to your dice pool, not the total of the exploding die, and thus are still subject to the "only keep the two highest" rule. Yes, that means that your "exploded" d8 has an 80% chance of being worthless.
  • Any 1s rolled subtract from your result, continuing the "the more dice you have, the more likely you are to kneecap yourself" trend of Storyteller et al.
  • A skill list with sixty four skills.
Now, granted, I'm going off of nothing but the basic mechanics overview preview, maybe the full book explains some of these decisions or has extra permutations that make them make more sense, but nothing in the basic rules inspires me with any confidence or desire to spend money on it. The impression I get isn't so much a heartbreaker in the sense of "the author has only ever played D&D and has no conception that there are other ways to design an RPG," but it feels like a designer who is so terrified of being perceived as ripping off other games (or maybe just so focused on being "innovative") that they've made a bunch of frankly bizarre and inexplicable decisions in an attempt at novelty.

This sounds like a version of Agon written by Markov chain.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Anyone have experience with VoiceMod? I would like to speak in scary robot voices for my Lancer campaign and maybe make shotgun noises and whatnot.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've seen an unofficial SCP RPG floating around. It's not good. It's not terrible, it's just one of those fangames that's like "Here is a list of attributes and skills. Here are rules for rolling dice." There are no meta-mechanics that support the theme, so it doesn't improve on just running whatever is your favourite generic system.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Night10194 posted:

I think that throws it over into the dumbest exploding dice system I've seen, which is an achievement.

E: Rule of 1 plus that explosion rule actually makes lots of low dice an active detriment, doesn't it? Because they're likely to roll a 1, and also likely to explode and both not necessarily be important to your overall 2 die result pool but get more chances for 1s.

i feel like CthulhuTech was still probably worse but I can’t be sure because any time I try to actually remember anything specific about CthulhuTech my ears start ringing and I wake up naked in a field with a bloody nose and a throat hoarse and dry from screaming

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

fool of sound posted:

Really, a SCP game that emulates the direction of the site for the last like 5 years would basically just be Esoterrorists. It's moved away from monsters and to some extent horror in general towards in-depth narrative investigation of unsettling weird things.
Yeah, strong agree, Gumshoe is more or less in line for a good way to explore these things you don't understand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Cthulhutech was basically trying to do poker hands with dice, right? (Or was it rummy?) Like, I've read the book, but that fact never clicked for me until some reviewer pointed it out. I only learned poker so I would have something to do with my in-laws.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Delta Green fits the SCP bill if you want a low level conspiracy horror game. Stuff like some of the Game Day stories, with agents mostly investigating other humans and the occasional monster or magic item.

If you want something grander in scale, I agree that Esoterrorists is a better fit. It's similar to Delta Green but the setting tilts the odds more in favor of the players rather than pushing hard on the horror button, with a hostile cosmos that can actually be contained and fought back against.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rockman Reserve posted:

i feel like CthulhuTech was still probably worse but I can’t be sure because any time I try to actually remember anything specific about CthulhuTech my ears start ringing and I wake up naked in a field with a bloody nose and a throat hoarse and dry from screaming

I just remember the funny Ettin reviews.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought all these posts were about External Containment Bureau (which just dropped after its KS), but I have now learned there is an actual SCP game on DTRPG.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PerniciousKnid posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun!
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I am scared about the line between good use and over-use and will definitely ask my players their thoughts several times.

Like scary robot voice? Probably good! Making me sound more feminine when speaking as a woman? I'll try it but it's probably more distracting. Shotgun noises and background music done well? Yeah probably good!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I inherited some old issues of The Judges Guild Journal magazine from my late uncle. It has illustrations in it that are pretty cute:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Cthulhutech was basically trying to do poker hands with dice, right? (Or was it rummy?) Like, I've read the book, but that fact never clicked for me until some reviewer pointed it out. I only learned poker so I would have something to do with my in-laws.

You roll dice and look for valid poker hands out of the resulting numbers, but it fails to be of much use because firstly it just makes it a chore to know how likely it is you'll pass a skill check, and secondly the fun of poker isn't drawing a hand and trying to figure out where your hands is ranked is, but betting on the odds anyone has any better.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I swear there was an extra wrinkle like at some points along the power curve you would have noticeably worse odds for success after "improving" a skill or something

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

I swear there was an extra wrinkle like at some points along the power curve you would have noticeably worse odds for success after "improving" a skill or something

If half or more of your dice come up 1, you get a critical failure. The chance of that happening is 10% with one dice and 19% with two dice. This pattern also repeats for every odd and even number. The chance with three dice is 2.8%, the chance is about 5.2% with four dice.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would like to know more about The Trang

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Ettin posted:

Any idea how it is? I was put off by the KS and how soon it went on sale after release but the reviews on DriveThruRPG seem to be pretty good :v:

Oh I was riffing on the TYOV book that was all blanked out lmao

I'd honestly use the old The Laundry CoC-based RPG for SCP. Doing paperwork for the time you nearly got your head twisted off by a malevolent statue of a baby seems perfectly in tone, although SCP has so many monkeys at typewriters if it has a tone to consider, it's "yes".

The average dungeon fan, the chad dragons enjoyer

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I received my Thousand Year Old Vampire Companion Volume today, and... wow. I think I should maybe feel ripped off, but dropping 45 bucks on a beautifully-produced book with literally no content feels like the apex of my Beautiful Roleplaying Object collection.

At this point, I mostly want to know the story. Was this a production gently caress-up that Hutchings is now trying to unload, or is this a deliberate art project?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In future years this will be looked at as the most important artistic statement of this era. Bravo. :golfclap:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
my son just got these and they are fuckin sick

https://www.amazon.com/Akedo-14217-Battle-Arena/dp/B08S3FH9W4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

If half or more of your dice come up 1, you get a critical failure. The chance of that happening is 10% with one dice and 19% with two dice. This pattern also repeats for every odd and even number. The chance with three dice is 2.8%, the chance is about 5.2% with four dice.

That was it!! Oh well, at least the setting was goo-oooohhhh, right.

e: I'm afraid of jinxing it but ohmigod some of my friends seem really down to play MtAwakening 2E and are reading the book and stuff ronpaulitshappening.gif

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

What is it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's the Akedo Ultimate Arcade Warriors Ultimate Battle Arena! You imbecile. You swine.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Gort posted:

What is it?

it’s a toy set/physical gacha game that kinda resembles rock em sock em robots with a 90s arcade aesthetic. you slot each figure into a controller and make them flail wildly until one get its head knocked off. there is a very basic hp/tag system that my 4 year old was able to understand

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Does it feel solid enough not to break within a few minutes of being handled roughly by excited kids?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
...said the actress to the bishop...

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Imagined posted:

Does it feel solid enough not to break within a few minutes of being handled roughly by excited kids?

my kid has thrown them against the wall a few times so far and they seem to fare well

All blind box tho.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Antivehicular posted:

I received my Thousand Year Old Vampire Companion Volume today, and... wow. I think I should maybe feel ripped off, but dropping 45 bucks on a beautifully-produced book with literally no content feels like the apex of my Beautiful Roleplaying Object collection.

At this point, I mostly want to know the story. Was this a production gently caress-up that Hutchings is now trying to unload, or is this a deliberate art project?

I was pretty disappointed in this. And there are enough differences that it doesn't look like a run of misprints to me, but then again I don't know much about the professional printing process.

The part that's extra frustrating is that a blank book wasn't necessarily the worst idea ever. If he'd made the cover look close enough to the original, then you could have shelved it next to your actual copy and ended up grabbing the wrong one sometimes. That would have made it feel like an occasional weird little TYOV moment instead of one dumb surprise. Or maybe like you're more of a participant in the joke than the butt of it.

I'm not sure if I'd have knowingly bought that version of the book, but I might have put it on a holiday wishlist or something. And I wouldn't feel as stupid for having blind-bought it.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 21, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

breadnsucc posted:

wait so they kickstarted a completely empty book

Remember when Luke Crane thought he was going to do a big sendup of RPG kickstarters and it all ended as a big wet fart? He wishes this were him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah I haven't played the game, but looking at the shop description I wouldn't just laugh off this art piece. It would burn me on ever supporting that creator until I've heard from others who already purchased from them.
As others have said this is pretty different from the Cards Against Humanity folks, who had done ramping black friday protest sales and always were 100% upfront about things like "You will pay extra and get nothing more if you buy today." to "This will be an empty box. Do not buy anything today" and finally of course the bullshit box.

breadnsucc posted:

No, completely empty could potentially be used to play the journaling RPG it was sold as a companion for. It's the original RPG book blurred and redacted. Up thread someone linked to an imgur with some samples from it. However the dude who made it said "you'll probably be disappointed if you buy this" in the product description and was ultra vague/sold it as a surprise.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 12, 2021

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

To be fair, he did say that the companion book wasn't useful and that it would be an "experience." I guess I was just assuming that the experience would be a little deeper than opening the package and feeling like a rube.

I'm not going to die mad about it or anything, and I may end up buying from the guy again if he puts out something that gets good enough reviews. I'm not going to actively follow his work anymore though because his projects are clearly not a safe bet for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the Chicago LAN thread:

CaptainJuan posted:

I am playing El The Chicago Transit Adventure and lost my rulebook and need someone to take a picture and share the rule for when you play three destination cards of the same type, time is a factor please help

LOL, this is an actual thing:

quote:

Welcome to Chicago! There's lots to do in The Windy City, and you have a full itinerary. Make your way around the city using the famous elevated "El" trains to visit places of interest and return to the State/Lake station before anyone else. Strategize your optimal route by utilizing trains and buses, but be prepared for detour. Keep an eye out for stations undergoing renovation, and be sure to carry enough Transit Tokens to pay for your fare! And of course, you're not the only person riding the trains. Other travelers might just throw your plans for a Loop! Pack your bag, gather your friends, and set out on your Chicago Transit Adventure!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

deety posted:

To be fair, he did say that the companion book wasn't useful and that it would be an "experience." I guess I was just assuming that the experience would be a little deeper than opening the package and feeling like a rube.

I'm not going to die mad about it or anything, and I may end up buying from the guy again if he puts out something that gets good enough reviews. I'm not going to actively follow his work anymore though because his projects are clearly not a safe bet for me.
Yeah I think that's the right take.
It's poorly executed art at best, and getting burned for 50 bucks ain't the end of the world. As I said, it would just make me not trust the guy's projects in the future. It also doesn't seem like there was malice here, just something a bit too pretentious for my tastes.
At the point where the guy also has community copies of his actual RPGs up on itch, it also doesn't seem like this was some clever ploy to scam people out of money.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

breadnsucc posted:

It was a preorder, with the product description being a lot of repetitions of "Don't buy this! You won't be happy with the product! It's useless!" etc. for $45 plus shipping. The actual solo journaling game is content complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Been following this RPG for a while, Blackbirds, which seems to be a Horror fantasy setting using Zweihander rules.

The pitch:

quote:

The World Hangs By A Thread Of Fate.

Twelve years of war have ravaged the kingdoms of Erebos, where the battle to decide the fate of all was waged . . . and lost. A cabal of power-hungry Oligarchs murdered the gods and stole their divinity, their blasphemous acts rending the very fabric of reality, drowning the world in unfettered magic, and upending the natural order. Soon, they will return to the mortal realm, intent on reshaping it in their image. As the lights of civilization begin to fade, the eyes of the world turn to Erebos—unaware that the shadow that looms over all is cast from within Heaven itself.

The Blackbirds RPG is a hybrid of old-school crunch and modern storytelling systems, offering cinematic moments to players of all skill levels. You will play as one of the eponymous Blackbirds: outcasts and would-be heroes fated to fight against the Oligarchs. Within its tome, you will find everything you need to survive the world of Blackbirds: a player’s handbook, a Fateweaver’s guide, a sinister magic system rife with dramatic tension, a massive bestiary overflowing with threats both mundane and monstrous, and a thrilling introductory adventure to set you down the path of Fate.

Their kickstarter is imminent, and yesterday they posted the trailer:

https://twitter.com/blackbirdsrpg/status/1425578509963993090

They posted some bestiary entries in the past, I like their Basilisk:

https://twitter.com/blackbirdsrpg/status/1387509192580235266

Oh and they have some cool and good people endorsing them:

https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1425584232957546498

I'm hyped!