Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Hi, was directed here by the Seattle area LAN thread, had some questions about making sure I had the proper parts for my respirator setup.

I got these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/HF-803SD/11487713
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D7N11/11487711

When they arrived and I realized they didn't work as is - they don't click into eachother. I called customer service, they told me I was missing this, so I ordered it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D701/11487724

So I'm waiting for that to arrive, but looking over things further, now I'm thinking I'm still dropping the ball somehow? Should I just forget trying to use the parts I have and buy other cartridges for the respirator, or is there a way not to waste the aceessories I already bought? For whatever I need to buy, are there any links to cartridges with filters recommended for both Covid and wildfire smoke that has the secure click attachment for the HF-803 sd? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

lol what is this product

Well it has bluetooth and an app, which makes me think the bottom section measures the vibrations of my throat so I can be served ads based on what I'm mumbling to myself. I'm not connecting it to the internet ever. But I can't really tell if HEPA H13 is good at this point

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Crazypoops posted:

Just chilling at home with a cup of coffee helping my little plants grow petting kitty

loving PSYCHO

the face of the enemy

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Crazypoops posted:

Just chilling at home with a cup of coffee helping my little plants grow petting kitty

loving PSYCHO

Wow get some therapy

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

Well it has bluetooth and an app, which makes me think the bottom section measures the vibrations of my throat so I can be served ads based on what I'm mumbling to myself. I'm not connecting it to the internet ever. But I can't really tell if HEPA H13 is good at this point

i mean its kinda just poo poo because its rated to last a couple months max, unless its also being rated based in industrial use like 3M
idk about the particulate blocking efficacy though sorry

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I guess one concern with getting a third shot is how to handle the record of it. Let's say "fully vaccinated" evolves to mean 3 MRNA doses, and when places check your vaxx status they need to see that reflected on your card/digital wallet. What's the plan if you got an under the table third dose?

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
200 lollapalooza cases with a doubling time of like 5-7 days means there will be thousands of cases in a few weeks. Not to mention they will find more. 200 cases when your actively trying not to find them is probably a lot in this environment.

It really takes time for things to go exponential 4-6 weeks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
17 members of limp bizkit crew including allegedly one of the front guys all popped positive for covid after one day at lollapalooza (and a nightclub concert)

they stopped all touring and even said flat out, concerts are not safe

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/limp-bizkit-cancel-august-tour-dates-covid-19-safety-concerns-1209298/

quote:

UPDATE 8/10: In an interview with Billboard, Fred Durst provided additional information behind Limp Bizkit’s tour cancellation. “In short, the system is still very flawed,” he said. “Even if the performers, crews, staff, and promoters do their best to ensure safety on and behind the stage, that doesn’t ensure the safety of the audience as a whole. We are all in this together, and we all — individually and as a whole — have to make our best efforts to be as responsible and proactive as possible moving forward to combat and stop spreading COVID.”

lolla was a hella superspreader, lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zisky posted:

I guess one concern with getting a third shot is how to handle the record of it. Let's say "fully vaccinated" evolves to mean 3 MRNA doses, and when places check your vaxx status they need to see that reflected on your card/digital wallet. What's the plan if you got an under the table third dose?

Just go get a 4th dose on your original card which will now show 3 doses.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm too lazy to check but did last year's sturgis make a visible-on-charts effect before the point where you could look at a country wide map and see the literal ripple effect spreading outwards from ground zero

here's meade county, south dakota, the home of sturgis:

so in short, yes

maybe i'm just too dumb but i don't really see a way that you could have sturgis's huge spread without a giant outbreak at the epicenter

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Aglet56 posted:

i'm still confused about covid at lollapalooza. they had 385,000 attendees, which is about 14% of the population of chicago. the chicago metro area has reported somewhere around 20,000 cases of covid in the last 2 weeks (i'm just eyeballing the graph on covidactnow: https://covidactnow.org/us/metro/chicago-naperville-elgin_il-in-wi/?s=21681094).

now, i have no idea how many lolla attendees fly in from outside the chicagoland area; presumably at least some people would've caught covid at lolla and then flew back somewhere else. but presumably at least *some* attendees are local, to say nothing of the thousands of vendors, security guards, hotel staff, etc. who work and live in chicago and who served all the lolla attendees. it seems impossible to me that lolla wouldn't be a superspreader event, but cases in chicago are rising more slowly than in seattle, the bay area, los angeles, etc.

of course, we have no way of knowing how many asymptomatic cases that the event produced that aren't being tested at all, but it doesn't seem to track with what we know about the ratios of symptomatic vs. asymptomatic cases

basically, what the hell

there's always that outside chance that we were wrong. the fact that the largest gatherings were entirely outside as well as there being a (poorly enforced) vaccine mandate and the crowd being almost universally in a less susceptible age range means that it didn't cause the type of enormous vertical spike that we were expecting.

it's also possible that, since lollapalooza was only two weeks ago, cases from it would really have only started testing positive in the past few days and aren't immediately visible in the numbers yet. there's an additional 10 day delay that hasn't yet elapsed from secondary infections caused by the dramatically increased human surface area from having a ton of possibly non-symptomatic attendees that have now spread out all over the nation, bringing the virus with them to their own family and circles.

illinois still is having a rise in cases on par with the worst they've had ever, so it might just be hidden in there too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zisky posted:

uh, 4th dose. that's easy

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I'm a healthy bro who eats well and takes vitamines and works out I don't have anything to worry about

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Hi, was directed here by the Seattle area LAN thread, had some questions about making sure I had the proper parts for my respirator setup.

I got these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/HF-803SD/11487713
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D7N11/11487711

When they arrived and I realized they didn't work as is - they don't click into eachother. I called customer service, they told me I was missing this, so I ordered it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D701/11487724

So I'm waiting for that to arrive, but looking over things further, now I'm thinking I'm still dropping the ball somehow? Should I just forget trying to use the parts I have and buy other cartridges for the respirator, or is there a way not to waste the aceessories I already bought? For whatever I need to buy, are there any links to cartridges with filters recommended for both Covid and wildfire smoke that has the secure click attachment for the HF-803 sd? Thanks!

yeah you borked it just a little, here is the easy fix

https://www.zoro.com/3m-combination-cartridgefilter-magenta-pr-d80926/i/G5774825/

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
lollapaloloza didn't cause any statistically significant covid cases. Wrap it up cavers, this thread is being closed at midnite for sspreading disinformation on COVID.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

A Bag of Milk posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ATMOBLUE-Electric-Mask-Demand-Filter/dp/B0981H3M5T

Let's say I already have one of these ATMOBLUE things that was given to me brand new. Is it worth a drat compared to what is being recommended in this thread? It has a HEPA H13 filter and a little motor.

there's no way this doesn't burn your lungs out with ozone within a week or ships preloaded with karenia brevis or something

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Stereotype posted:

there's always that outside chance that we were wrong. the fact that the largest gatherings were entirely outside as well as there being a (poorly enforced) vaccine mandate and the crowd being almost universally in a less susceptible age range means that it didn't cause the type of enormous vertical spike that we were expecting.

it's also possible that, since lollapalooza was only two weeks ago, cases from it would really have only started testing positive in the past few days and aren't immediately visible in the numbers yet. there's an additional 10 day delay that hasn't yet elapsed from secondary infections caused by the dramatically increased human surface area from having a ton of possibly non-symptomatic attendees that have now spread out all over the nation, bringing the virus with them to their own family and circles.

illinois still is having a rise in cases on par with the worst they've had ever, so it might just be hidden in there too.

right, this is my take as well (as i mentioned last night). lolla and the olympics might be a drop in the bucket if every restaurant, starbucks and daycare is a mini-sturgis

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
lmfao israel is giving prisoners third shot boosters now. prisoners in israel are getting better protection than americans
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/israel-starts-rolling-out-covid-vaccine-booster-shots-to-over-50s-1.4646529

quote:

Israel on Friday became the first country worldwie to offer a third Covid-19 vaccine dose to those over the age of 50.

Medical staff and those with underlying illnesses, as well as prisoners and wardens, are also eligible for the booster.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
i know someone with two kids who both already tested positive after being in school for two days, classes cancelled

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

mod sassinator posted:

where is my secureclick meow meow?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao israel is giving prisoners third shot boosters now. prisoners in israel are getting better protection than americans
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/israel-starts-rolling-out-covid-vaccine-booster-shots-to-over-50s-1.4646529

Just not their open air prisoners

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

fosborb posted:

there's no way this doesn't burn your lungs out with ozone within a week or ships preloaded with karenia brevis or something

prolly gets a pretty good seal with the silicone face cup at least

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

mod sassinator posted:

17 members of limp bizkit crew including allegedly one of the front guys all popped positive for covid after one day at lollapalooza (and a nightclub concert)

they stopped all touring and even said flat out, concerts are not safe

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/limp-bizkit-cancel-august-tour-dates-covid-19-safety-concerns-1209298/

lolla was a hella superspreader, lol

shame that limp bizkit got sick but hey. everyone that burns has to learn from the pain

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

fosborb posted:

Does the Tesla of facemasks means it catches fire and then you desperately claw at your face but it won't come off because the straps are stuck?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

i'm pretty sure they aren't giving the vaccine to the palestinians

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aglet56 posted:

here's meade county, south dakota, the home of sturgis:

so in short, yes

maybe i'm just too dumb but i don't really see a way that you could have sturgis's huge spread without a giant outbreak at the epicenter

lol it's a year to the drat day

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Lacrosse posted:

I have another Covid safe space chat I'm in where I was describing my adaptive behavior of finding safer hobbies to participate in to keep me sane, for example going to a VR rave instead of an in person rave. They said lol you sure you aren't just disassociating due to the PTSD, and I'm like 'no I disassociate regularly enough I know what that's like, this is just readjusting my expectations for what makes me happy'. Just because I decided to garden at home instead of going to a concert does not mean my brain is broken.

:hf:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

There's a reason they say hepa and not n95, kn95, kf94, whatever. They've tested the filter media filtration effectiveness but they have not tested the mask as a system.

Also trusting your life to "the tesla of x" lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

B-Rock452 posted:

Does the Tesla of facemasks means it catches fire and then you desperately claw at your face but it won't come off because the straps are stuck?

makes you walk into the side of semi trucks

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

There's a reason they say hepa and not n95, kn95, kf94, whatever. They've tested the filter media filtration effectiveness but they have not tested the mask as a system.

makes a lot of sense

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also I'm noticing that it's a positive pressure system without a pressure relief valve or extractor fan so enjoy your lung damage if it even works

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zisky posted:

just get another one

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
bay area put in a mask mandate a couple weeks ago and now, surprise surprise, positivity is starting to drop a bit: https://www.kqed.org/news/11884927/a-glimmer-of-hope-as-rising-bay-area-covid-cases-slows

quote:

The highly transmissible delta variant continues to drive up COVID-19 cases across the Bay Area, but there are hints in some counties that cases may not be multiplying quite as fast.

The most promising metrics are positivity rates. While a community’s case tally can fluctuate dramatically based on how many tests are completed each day, a low positivity rate suggests transmission is slowing.

In recent days the rate has decreased ever so slightly in Marin county, while flattening in counties like San Francisco, Santa Clara and Alameda.

“Our 14-day total for reported cases has declined slightly and we are not seeing increases in our daily average,” said Dr. Nicholas Moss, Alameda County’s health officer. “We recommend being cautious in drawing firm conclusions because we have seen lulls followed by increases in past surges.”

The Los Angeles Times is cautiously reporting a similar trend. Over the past week Los Angeles County’s positivity rate fell by more than two points. And today’s statewide positivity rate is 6.6%. Last week it hovered above 7%.

A few factors could be at play. The virus may have already reached the most susceptible people currently at high risk. Indoor mask mandates and growing public awareness may be slowing transmission. People may be erring on the side of caution and changing their behavior. Suddenly the beach or an outdoor patio is more appealing than the movie theater or a packed dance club.

where the gently caress is seattle's mask mandate Duchin and Inslee!!!???

i was up in snohomish county last night and it was a god drat relief going into a walmart that had a big "MASKS ARE REQUIRED" sign on the front and a greeter checking every person coming in to have masks. it was like... oh my god it's safe again. why aren't we doing this down in king county again!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

fosborb posted:

putting this bad boy on and deciding that anyone who calls me dumb is a pedophile

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

The Oldest Man posted:

Also I'm noticing that it's a positive pressure system without a pressure relief valve or extractor fan so enjoy your lung damage if it even works

I was going to say I don't think the PAPR units at the hospital have anything close to this but then I remembered it's an entire hood with an elastic neck band and not some tiny silicone mask right over your holes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

pro avatar material there

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

man i should get some pics of like a packed tram here for you guys, it's beautiful, every single person wearing a kn95.

I am frequently the only person, or one of maybe a handful, in public spaces wearing a mask. This includes: livestock feed stores, grocery stores, pet stores, malls, doctors offices, etc.

I'm back to curbside only right now.

E: Still no ICU beds in Richmond county GA/Augusta GA and University Hospital is still total diversion. Has been for days.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I was going to say I don't think the PAPR units at the hospital have anything close to this but then I remembered it's an entire hood with an elastic neck band and not some tiny silicone mask right over your holes.

Most of those are just designed to spill air continuously, yeah. This is like squeezing air into a balloon and you get to find out whether your alveoli or the silicone gasket are the weak point in that balloon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fun fact, earthworms have been found that are allllmost this big