Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Animal Friend posted:

So uh... Are we going to keep venerating our elite SAS troops for their role in stopping the Taliban?

The war crimes and captured prosthetics don't seem to have had much of an effect.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we maybe waited a little too long to decide what to do with a bunch of our local contacts and interpreters?

What a loving mire of misery. What a disgusting chapter in our petite imperialist legacy.

We’ve only had 20 years to plan an unconditional surrender and retreat exit strategy, these things take time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Evidence of long covid in vaccinated people is so minimal, there's difficulty in finding people to study from what I can find. Also vaccines help deal with long covid if you are infected before vaccination.

Now yes, unvaccinated it's a huge problem and the big issue is that even in countries with high vaccination rates, they are only really getting to the younger population now. But I dont think it'll be a generation defining issue now vaccination rates are going up and vaccination approval for younger children coming very soon. It's going to be vaccinated vs unvaccinated no matter the age.
I'd be interested in what you found because with Delta the vaccine doesn't do much for asymptomatic/low symptom case rates and long covid is statistically relevant in them.

Millions are going to catch covid every year, thousands will suffer in even statistically "very rare" outcomes

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

'We going to have to learn to live with the virus'

the bit they forget to to say

'and it is going to loving suck'

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I mean, we were always going to have to live with it in that sense. There's no possibility that the world rocks 0 COVID, even within Australia you can't stop people coming into the country and as long as it's transmissible between people with the vaccine we won't see 0 forever.

The huge, incredibly severe fuckup here is of course we could have lived with 0 for a super long time, achieved a very high vaccination rate and very little disturbance beyond travel, but of course we voted in a bunch of ad executives instead of leaders

It's also interesting to think that worldwide travel is, at this point, irreparably hosed. There's no future where you'll be able to travel somewhere without quarantining for 2 weeks either when you get there or get back.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Curfew back in Melbourne. People on Twitter loving hate it but I've never seen the big deal. Like yes it kinda sucks you can't go for a jog at 10pm or whatever but life is already at 95% suck so why not crank it up a tiny bit further if it might help us get out of lockdown sooner?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's because curfew isn't backed up by evidence

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

spaceblancmange posted:

'We going to have to learn to live with the virus'

the bit they forget to to say

'and it is going to loving suck'

Some of us are going to have to learn to live with the virus.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

freebooter posted:

Curfew back in Melbourne. People on Twitter loving hate it but I've never seen the big deal. Like yes it kinda sucks you can't go for a jog at 10pm or whatever but life is already at 95% suck so why not crank it up a tiny bit further if it might help us get out of lockdown sooner?

Because the escalation of restrictions presume we're not getting out of this sooner. This was only supposed to be one week, after all. The more weeks and the more restrictions that are added onto it make it worse, give the impression that we're nowhere near done, even if the restrictions affect something you wouldn't normally do.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

abigserve posted:

I mean, we were always going to have to live with it in that sense. There's no possibility that the world rocks 0 COVID, even within Australia you can't stop people coming into the country and as long as it's transmissible between people with the vaccine we won't see 0 forever.

The huge, incredibly severe fuckup here is of course we could have lived with 0 for a super long time, achieved a very high vaccination rate and very little disturbance beyond travel, but of course we voted in a bunch of ad executives instead of leaders

It's also interesting to think that worldwide travel is, at this point, irreparably hosed. There's no future where you'll be able to travel somewhere without quarantining for 2 weeks either when you get there or get back.

Once the population and government gives up on 0 covid and accepts that it circulates in the community at some level, I don't see why you would expect quarantine to be a certainty.

It might remain to keep case numbers low but if people are tolerating covid becoming endemic in Australia travel quarantines have limited use.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

bowmore posted:

Limiting peoples movement is pretty integral to the whole thing so I'm not sure how you can claim this.

Sierra Madre posted:

Because the escalation of restrictions presume we're not getting out of this sooner. This was only supposed to be one week, after all. The more weeks and the more restrictions that are added onto it make it worse, give the impression that we're nowhere near done, even if the restrictions affect something you wouldn't normally do.

This was never 'supposed to be one week'. The initial 1 week is only a week because they need time to assess the situation and adjust as the info comes to light.

Anyone that seriously thought this was only ever going to be 1 week was either clueless or overly optimistic. This will be another month of lockdown if all things go well from here, which given we are still having unknown cases and community transmission is probably not very likely.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

How in the gently caress do you throw a rock in Melbourne and hit 69 nice people willing to ignore covid for a loving engagement party

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ultra orthodox community. My old hood down Balaclava way.

Same religious group responsible for super spreader events in Israel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bowmore posted:

It's backed up by real poo poo messaging to stop loving around.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Curfew and playground closures are the vibe more than anything else.

Had to cancel my Pfizer appointment today because I started getting cold symptoms last night. It’s absolutely just another random loving virus bub has brought home from the Petrie dish we call daycare, but I’m not taking the 1 in a million chance of being the dickhead that turns RMH into a tier 1 site.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

Curfew and playground closures are the vibe more than anything else.

Playgrounds are gathering places for shitloads of parents with masks around their necks drinking coffees pretending to keep an eye on their kids
Yesterday was wild in melbourne with the decent weather

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bowmore posted:

This has become a popular thing to assert, but the epidemiological community is split on it, and Sutton wouldn't have advised it if there was no evidence in favour of it. "Some" evidence or inconclusive evidence is not a reason not to err on the side of caution in what's already a knife edge situation. Gently-softly restrictions and not wanting to "burden" the populace is what got NSW into the hole it's in.

Animal Friend posted:

Ultra orthodox community. My old hood down Balaclava way.

Same religious group responsible for super spreader events in Israel.

Also occurred in New York. The rest of the Jewish community is furious with them. I think part of the psychological reasoning behind it is that they think of themselves as so cloistered from the broader community they perceive themselves to be at no risk.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hashy posted:

I'd be interested in what you found because with Delta the vaccine doesn't do much for asymptomatic/low symptom case rates and long covid is statistically relevant in them.

Millions are going to catch covid every year, thousands will suffer in even statistically "very rare" outcomes

https://slate.com/technology/2021/08/long-covid-breakthrough-infection-vaccinated.html

Almost no data, the data they do have shows even with Delta a proper breakthrough aka you are seriously ill only leads to long covid in very rare cases, almost no reports of long covid if you dont get really ill. Also pulled from that link is that vaccinations relieve long covid on 30-40% of sufferers

quote:

Encouragingly, research shows that vaccination can alleviate some symptoms of long COVID. Iwasaki has found that up to 30 to 40 percent of people experience relief from vaccination. It might do so by dampening the autoreactive immune cells causing symptoms, she said. She’s currently collaborating with Survivor Corps on a study of the impact of vaccination on people with long COVID, which was inspired by another of the group’s Facebook polls.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

TLDR - Too early to say maybe but it seems like long covid incidence just may not be there if you are vaccinated - or if it happens, it's too rare to have caught much medical attention

Also this link says it doesnt seem like long covid happens with vaccinated people but more time needed to find out

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/7/20/22583509/long-covid-fully-vaccinated

So basically there is a lack of evidence long covid is a thing for anyone vaccinated unless you get really ill (already unlikely if you are vaccinated). Wether that is because we arent looking (I'd bet a lot of people are looking!) or it simply hasnt been enough cases to get on researchers radar (more likely) not sure but there hasnt been more indication long covid is a thing for vaccinated people

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
A highschool kid had it for like a week, Canbarra's pooched

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Also occurred in New York. The rest of the Jewish community is furious with them. I think part of the psychological reasoning behind it is that they think of themselves as so cloistered from the broader community they perceive themselves to be at no risk.

I think the psychological reasoning behind it is closer to them being a pack of cunts that have no respect for or interest in secular laws much like other nutjob fundie groups like hillsong

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

Playgrounds are gathering places for shitloads of parents with masks around their necks drinking coffees pretending to keep an eye on their kids
Yesterday was wild in melbourne with the decent weather

Closure of playgrounds and parks is just another extension of "look at how many people are on a beach in this photo taken with a telephoto lens" nonsense. A pointless punitive measure that makes no difference at all other than making peoples lives that little bit worse.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

Closure of playgrounds and parks is just another extension of "look at how many people are on a beach in this photo taken with a telephoto lens" nonsense. A pointless punitive measure that makes no difference at all other than making peoples lives that little bit worse.

I think it's playgrounds, not parks, ovals etc.
A playground near the cafe in my area was as packed with adults as any outdoor dining area.
If we accept that crowds are dangerous at the moment it seems like a consistent measure

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seemlar posted:

the amount of people at skate parks, playgrounds and other exercise adjacent public areas has been ridiculous.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the psychological reasoning behind it is closer to them being a pack of cunts that have no respect for or interest in secular laws much like other nutjob fundie groups like hillsong

I agree that these particular 69 are a pack of cunts but...

https://twitter.com/goldsteinelissa/status/1426889704717230086

Also the fact that one of them was dumb enough to record it and post it on FB suggests it just never occurred to them someone outside their immediate community would see it.

Anyway it loving sucks for the rest of the community just as much as it sucks when the Courier Mail plasters the faces of black rulebreakers across their front page, I'm already seeing so much ant-Semitic poo poo on social media.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Anyway it loving sucks for the rest of the community just as much as it sucks when the Courier Mail plasters the faces of black rulebreakers across their front page, I'm already seeing so much ant-Semitic poo poo on social media.

I'd like to think that anti-semitic anti-lockdown conspiracy theorists are fighting amongst themselves over whether to condemn or praise Orthodox Jewish lockdown rule breakers but in my heart of hearts I know these people don't have the intellectual honesty or consistency for this to be a problem for them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'd like to think that anti-semitic anti-lockdown conspiracy theorists are fighting amongst themselves over whether to condemn or praise Orthodox Jewish lockdown rule breakers but in my heart of hearts I know these people don't have the intellectual honesty or consistency for this to be a problem for them.

Yeah 100% it would be "Grrr look at these terrible <minority> breaking the rules, they're ruining our culture" and without pause "These lockdowns are such an unjust breach of our freedom".

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i still don't know anything about the identities of the people who had a party on blacksmith's beach and brought coronavirus to newcastle, nor the two from sydney who were caught by police twice and still went on to spread it all over town

but the moment the media got wind the engagement party was a jewish one, they made sure the whole loving world knew it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

I agree that these particular 69 are a pack of cunts but...

https://twitter.com/goldsteinelissa/status/1426889704717230086

Also the fact that one of them was dumb enough to record it and post it on FB suggests it just never occurred to them someone outside their immediate community would see it.

These people represent a tiny fraction of the Jewish community, and I don't think the broader Jewish community should be expected to specifically condemn them or make penance. In fact I'm sure they're already going above and beyond in trying to explain to dickheads like these that in addition to risking public health they are helping drive anti-semitism with this kind of poo poo. But I also don't think we should pretend that wingnut groups like this don't just see themselves as above the law, whether it's breaking public health orders or protecting in-group pedophiles. I've got no idea what the solution is but I think we could start by at least being honest about the problem.

Hell, fundamentalist elements of every major religion come out from time to time and publicly say that if it comes to the law vs their religion they're choosing god's side and gently caress the State. At some point we should start taking them at their word and assuming they'll do just that and think about what the appropriate measures are to enforce the law and protect society, whether it's a soft outreach approach or prioritising intelligence gathering in those networks the same way you would hopefully be doing with other groups.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The answer is to ban all religion, OP.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

perepelki posted:

i still don't know anything about the identities of the people who had a party on blacksmith's beach and brought coronavirus to newcastle, nor the two from sydney who were caught by police twice and still went on to spread it all over town

but the moment the media got wind the engagement party was a jewish one, they made sure the whole loving world knew it

I'm pretty sure there's a Revered Martin Luther King Jr quote about how a white man can commit a crime and just that man has committed a crime. But when a minority commits a crime, all minorities committed that crime.

EDIT: Or, more to the point, when the media found out that Ocasio-Cortez had Jewish ancestry and suddenly started using this photo of her in every story:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 16, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Laserface posted:

The answer is to ban all religion, OP.

This is a bit extreme, we could instead build a city in central australia out of garbage and make them move there, the Abrahamic religions love a good desert trek. Move Summernats there and you could get most of the neo-nazis too.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
it's called Red CentreNATS

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just going to say something here because I realise my previous post could be read in a certain light.

I grew up in the middle of the ultra-orthodox community and my family home is still there. My neighbourhood growing up was a mix of those super religious types and otherwise more liberal but poor first wave eastern Eurpean Jews and their families.

There's no greater lawbreaking community at work. I will say that there were big breaches of lockdown rules among the ultra orthodox that I have seen and been a party to first hand* but that's hardly true to just them. I work retail at a BWS and I've seen people come in as groups on Friday and Saturdays and have packed deliveries that were obviously for house parties this whole time. There's been public examples of mass gatherings like the Richmond pub crawl and Northcote across the weekend.

The other side of this is that the people reporting these ultra orthodox gatherings are people in that small community. Who else would know about it, in such an insular neighbourhood? I don't want to give away too much but I know a lot of anecdotal stuff about who has been reporting what in my old neighbourhood and its more complicated that liberal Jews vs Orthodox.

Also as a group of people who are already easily marginalised, I will say the Jews I know are doubly pissed about those breaking the rules giving ammunition for anti-semites and morons or otherwise drawing more heat.

*I was asked on a Saturday to help with a power issue. It was after household visitors were banned and I was apprehensive but... I mean in that instance I felt maybe I could justify it. I went a few doors down to a house which had a packed tent in it and was guided to an extension cord to plug in a PA system. This was early in Melbourne's big 2020 lockdown. Within a day other orthodox people in the street reported them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is a bit extreme, we could instead build a city in central australia out of garbage and make them move there, the Abrahamic religions love a good desert trek. Move Summernats there and you could get most of the neo-nazis too.

The return of the Multifunction Polis

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Animal Friend posted:

Just going to say something here because I realise my previous post could be read in a certain light.

I grew up in the middle of the ultra-orthodox community and my family home is still there. My neighbourhood growing up was a mix of those super religious types and otherwise more liberal but poor first wave eastern Eurpean Jews and their families.

There's no greater lawbreaking community at work. I will say that there were big breaches of lockdown rules among the ultra orthodox that I have seen and been a party to first hand* but that's hardly true to just them. I work retail at a BWS and I've seen people come in as groups on Friday and Saturdays and have packed deliveries that were obviously for house parties this whole time. There's been public examples of mass gatherings like the Richmond pub crawl and Northcote across the weekend.

The other side of this is that the people reporting these ultra orthodox gatherings are people in that small community. Who else would know about it, in such an insular neighbourhood? I don't want to give away too much but I know a lot of anecdotal stuff about who has been reporting what in my old neighbourhood and its more complicated that liberal Jews vs Orthodox.

Also as a group of people who are already easily marginalised, I will say the Jews I know are doubly pissed about those breaking the rules giving ammunition for anti-semites and morons or otherwise drawing more heat.

*I was asked on a Saturday to help with a power issue. It was after household visitors were banned and I was apprehensive but... I mean in that instance I felt maybe I could justify it. I went a few doors down to a house which had a packed tent in it and was guided to an extension cord to plug in a PA system. This was early in Melbourne's big 2020 lockdown. Within a day other orthodox people in the street reported them.

Thanks for this good post

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Given those people already probably believe that the lockdown, like everything else, is a Jewish conspiracy, this will just justify their beliefs.

This isn't two competing ideas that they avoid reconciling, they'll just believe this shows that 'they all know' the lockdown is fake. They probably think no Jewish person follows the lockdown ever, and these guys only got punished because of the leaked video.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The return of the Multifunction Polis

A linear city but instead of a train track or a canal or something it's just a massive loving drag strip down the middle

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I remember during the bushfires they still went ahead with summernats even the air outside was too toxic to breathe.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
not enough unburnt diesel and particulate rubber

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MichaelPascoe01/status/1426761545401262081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I remember during the bushfires they still went ahead with summernats even the air outside was too toxic to breathe.

Probably just reckoned it was someone doing some fully sik burnouts 24/7