Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

is there any reason I should get the booster now at 5 months? any adverse effects reported from boosting too early?

oh yeah this. should I just wait 6 months. I also had OG COVID and then the godly mRNA vaccines, figured im probably good for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

so this seems to say if you beat the original SARS and got a COVID-19 vaccine you are now immune to any related coronavirus?

this means there's already an underground trade going on for SARS survivors to extract their blood

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

In Training posted:

oh yeah this. should I just wait 6 months. I also had OG COVID and then the godly mRNA vaccines, figured im probably good for a while.

Dont think theres any data on delta for people who were infected + 2 shots.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

is there any reason I should get the booster now at 5 months? any adverse effects reported from boosting too early?

as far as i know no, there are no clear adverse effects. now is fine imo, in fact i did it now because it takes a few weeks to spin up the best protection and the next month or so will likely be the peak of transmission until everyone panics and shuts down schools again

i don't know where the 8 month guideline the cdc came up with came from.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Capitalist society has a lot of slack for absorbing unthinkable amounts of social murder. The relevant precedents here are mostly in the 19th century and in the periphery countries of today, not the imperial core of the 20th century.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

where can I get sars 1 real quick

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:buddy:

i fixed some performance issues and added some info, then thought i might as well try adding music to it in resolve

choose your character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS0z4ziJCM

or

https://i.imgur.com/1ReewM3.mp4

(may have to right-click, unmute)

youtube content id can go gently caress itself

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 19, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shear Modulus posted:

it's not that the right thing is unpopular with a huge part of the country. today, the right things to beat the pandemic are very popular with the majority. vaccine mandates have majority support according to polls these days, and paying people to stay home in the form of trump/biden/bernie bucks were of course overwhelmingly popular. popularity with the majority of the population doesn't matter, they're worried about popularity among the 1% of people who do matter

I mean, there's certainly the donor thing, too, but the Dems are loving obsessed with chasing Republican votes (who basically hold the same views that their donors do). They're the "large parts of the country" I meant, but I guess I could have been clearer about that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Google Butt posted:

try the wuhan institute of virology or one of those secret US military labs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Google Butt posted:

I assume the us military keeps some strains handy

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Solarin posted:

lol the Biden admin is responsible for so many deaths

very very presidential unironically

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can't they just throw in a pinch of SARS uno into the vax

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shear Modulus posted:

"Oh, poo poo, we need boosters, but we can't make it look like we hosed up and were too late recommending them."

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Someone should probably investigate these big pharma for planned obsolescence with these vaccines, cause only getting 6 months out of em is a really super lovely vaxx.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

as far as i know no, there are no clear adverse effects. now is fine imo, in fact i did it now because it takes a few weeks to spin up the best protection and the next month or so will likely be the peak of transmission until everyone panics and shuts down schools again

Good point. Kid starts school tomorrow, so it's :rip: for us. Figured I'd try to best the September/October booster rush

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

very very presidential unironically

dems eat that poo poo up about politicians making Hard Choices and loving over their constituents

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

brugroffil posted:

It was my wife's first day back in the classroom with students today.

On her way home, she got an email that she'll need to do hybrid teaching starting tomorrow as one of her students that was in class today will now be quarantining.
lol at this point teachers/students will start having to quarantining by mid-day
can't even last a day my god
hopefully your wife didn't catch any thing

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

hey they updated their signs

surely they're referring to when j&j was available and instead people were waiting for pfizer/moderna instead right
RIGHT!?!?

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

There's no indication of any adverse affects. Israel has been giving boosters for their elderly that have had their second 5 months ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/pfizer-israel-booster-third-dose/2021/07/29/8c5b2170-efe5-11eb-81b2-9b7061a582d8_story.html

'' posted:

TEL AVIV — Israel's Health Ministry on Thursday announced plans to start a coronavirus booster campaign for adults over 60 who received their second shot at least five months earlier, because of risks posed by the vaccines' apparent waning efficacy and the current wave of covid-19 cases.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yes, i want sars

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

Nobody's gonna do poo poo until they can't buy treats and cheap electronics anymore. They will gladly climb up a mountain of dead kids if it means they can get a 100" 8k tv for $750 at the top.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

Someone should probably investigate these big pharma for planned obsolescence with these vaccines, cause only getting 6 months out of em is a really super lovely vaxx.

3rd shot in theory could last a long time, but there's no data yet since Delta is so new

If a variant comes along that completely evades the current shots and the upcoming Delta boosters, we're going to see some serious poo poo

The 3rd dose data shows we're all now super immune to Wild Type and Beta, so its's nice to know that if the entire world would have did actual lockdowns, we would have been fine

Humanity had all the tools needed to survive, but it just kept stepping on a rake over and over again

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Asproigerosis posted:

Influenza vaccines, also known as flu shots or flu jabs, are vaccines that protect against infection by influenza viruses.[2] New versions of the vaccines are developed twice a year, as the influenza virus rapidly changes.[2] 

unironically just the flu bro

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Asproigerosis posted:

Virus: But I'm innovating faster than capitalism

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

i fixed some performance issues and added some info, then thought i might as well try adding music to it in resolve

nice job! that mp4 is great.

i like the part where we nearly beat it and then now it's worse than ever

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Palladium posted:

Virus: But I'm innovating faster than capitalism

maybe we should have our economic system just be virus

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

corona familiar posted:

yikes

i think there's something wrong with the data or with my data processing step though, since every county in nebraska is just stuck at 0 for some reason. i'll look at it later

edit: here's risk levels (the metric I made a GIF about earlier this week)

https://i.imgur.com/AuxtekM.mp4
lol we were so loving close
if our government looked at india and took delta seriously and did ANYTHING we could have managed this

lmao you idiot we were never close

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ive never heard the flu shot called the flu vaccine in my life

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

Yeah that’s the plan, as far as there is one.

Governors don’t want to act because it’s political suicide. Same for state legislators. Because of Federalism the Biden admin can’t do much, and what they can do is even further limited by ideological and political fears.

The first elected official to really admit everything is falling apart might realistically have to worry about a lot more than getting re-elected, especially in Florida or Georgia or somewhere. If all the death is baked in and we can’t actually do what we need anyway (banning interstate travel, actual lockdowns, contact tracing), who gains anything by rocking the boat?

Sadly a whole lot of people are going to die but that’s a consequence of the entire rotten structure, not one or two dipshits who became governor somehow.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

corona familiar posted:

choose your character:

or

lmao that were were just almost entirely red for 3 months and now we're not even finishing our first month of the second country flare-up. Only this time with way less restrictions.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Because of Federalism

Muh carefully crafted political apparatuses for evasion of responsibility checks and balances

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The flu shot is more of a rotation than it is having to adjust for new variants every year. They gotta guess which strains are going to be predominant and sometimes they miss.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

SARS
*click*

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

jeezus...

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1428093495059914759

Mississippi strong!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:
yes everything is hosed and there will be a lot of children dying preventable deaths

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stereotype posted:

actually the science just learned more and changed their recommendations. they weren’t lying to your face, they just didn’t have all the science yet. the fact that a bunch of terminally online shut-in superposters knew before the CDC is because they need therapy and should stop posting misinformation

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

make so they can have brunch.

I had to goto a work event because a marketing guy flew in from Texas and I would like to continue to have a job.

all outdoors I get to wear my n95, going to watch golf from afar in a tent by a hole in good outdoor ventilation sooo about par with regular work risks i face about once a week.

it was ridiculous how drunk and horny just about everybody there was .

they’ve all gone even more crazy than they were before.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Famous last words.

The most annoying thing about covid destroying the last bastions in the western world is that I wasn't able to lose any weight in the last 18 months despite doing everything I could without gyms open. I drank nothing but goddamn water this entire time and walked home from work every day. I only eat two healthy meals per day, no snacks. Yet I'm still 30lbs overweight with high blood pressure and asthma and covid knocking at my door. Cut me some loving slack world.

I think my and my partner both gained about twenty pounds apiece during the last year and a half, completely unsurprising since we spent the darkest months of lockdown and mass death Spring sitting in our apartment like Toad and Frog shoving cookies into our mouths, but even after Open Biden Ford and me taking an average of 15k steps a day, nada. My body is insistent that we keep this twenty pounds. He has the blood pressure of a geriatric rabbit and I get fatigued washing my hair, despite it all. It loving blows.

Anyways:

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1427980571754516483

Non-zero chance it's ended up offered to everyone, a few months too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
If you think about it really no deaths are preventable since everyone is mortal,, anyway, time to not think too hard about that **peels out at 300 mph on a motorcycle with no helmet**