Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

alf_pogs posted:

still wrapping my head around why the pm thought The Croods was a cultural touchstone worth acknowledging

Fundies like him are absolute cultural voids, whatever cartoons they put on to shut the kids up and have the funny pratfall in the trailer are the only things they experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bowmore posted:

stop being a dickhead

i would prefer to simply be told that indigenous people are being vaccinated at way lower rates than non-indigenous people -- because it's important information that people should be aware of and so that something can be done about it -- without it being wrapped in a smug sandwich

an "i care more than you do" attitude doesn't do anything more than toot their own horn, it certainly doesn't get people on board

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fundies like him are absolute cultural voids, whatever cartoons they put on to shut the kids up and have the funny pratfall in the trailer are the only things they experience.

Morrison's bookshelf just being a Holy Bible on one end and 5 Ice Age DVD's on the other.

e: Morrison desperately trying to reference Veggie Tales in his draft but giving up and using the Croods

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 25, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

Also I just re-read Morrison's Croods speech and... it's 1 to 1 the ''Puppy Who Lost his Way'' bit from Billy Madison.

Holy poo poo it is.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Can someone make scomo watch the Lorax

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Croods is definitely one of his favourite movies, and he'd probably list 'em off unabashandly amonst movies like Cars 2

Not like those cowards who are all "aww Citizen Cane and Casablanca are pretty good". Only good thing about Scott. Proudly loving stupid as a loving rock

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
How can we weaponise that shiny song from Moana for the good of the nation? I loving love that funky rear end crab

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This is both incredibly brave and controversial.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The humour value of the Scomo Croods speech has been blunted by the defensive reactions from various WA politicians being funnier, and the fact it was a broken clock moment and what he was saying in the speech is 100% correct

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seemlar posted:

The humour value of the Scomo Croods speech has been blunted by the defensive reactions from various WA politicians being funnier, and the fact it was a broken clock moment and what he was saying in the speech is 100% correct

Nah gently caress him.

We're not at the point where we can handle Covid without lockdowns yet, shaming people for hypothetical future reactions is stupid as gently caress.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Morrison relates to the Croods because they remind him of his Party room colleagues.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

"aww Citizen Cane and Casablanca are pretty good".

Casablanca is a good watch. Citizen Kane is dreadful.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

Moana, but like, the island is lockdowns, and scomo is the idiot chicken? Voyaging to just get loving murdered by the volcano lady.

Maui is like... Idk, I'll workshop it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Can someone make scomo watch the Lorax

The Lorax movie is bad and wrong

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So we have enough examples now of people getting to the very gates of Kabul airport with valid e-visas being blocked from entry by Australian soldiers. When will it came out that they were under direct orders, and who was the Minister responsible, and when did the PM not hear about it (because he totally knew and approved of it).

My guess is 4 days after the evacuation is "finished" and we start to get stories from the families and lawyers of those now dead.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

vic doing alright

https://twitter.com/lesleygreen5/status/1430291922845716480

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In case you were in any danger of feeling respect for the SAS, NSW Police. This happened November last year.

Defence Force relocates key war crimes witness after blast at her NSW home

A witness in the Brereton Inquiry into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan has had her house targeted in an early morning incident that blew in windows and embedded glass in floors, ceilings and walls.
The Defence Force immediately relocated the witness and her family after the incident because of fears for their safety.

The witness — Captain Louise* — is a former special operations intelligence officer who deployed to Afghanistan in 2012-2013.

New South Wales Police failed to find any suspects, and in responding to a complaint by the witness acknowledged that the investigating officer had "dropped the ball".

Captain Louise said she immediately called the police after the early morning incident in November last year that shattered the windows of the family home.

"I said to the operator, 'This has happened to our house, I'm a witness in a murder investigation, I'm concerned that it could be related,'" she said.

When a car failed to arrive, she called them again. She was told the police had gone to the wrong house.

"It took them 40 minutes to get [to us]. We rang up and tried to find out where they were, and they said, 'No they're actually there at the address'. And I said, 'They're definitely not here, we've been waiting all this time.'

"They showed up, they walked in, they did a quick walk around, didn't really look at anything, and then just said, 'Don't worry, we have a police presence out here.'"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Weekend at Bernies II is the best movie ever made and the only one that should be referenced in political speeches.

This is a hill I will die on.

In unrelated news:
https://www.theage.com.au/business/...825-p58lsc.html

Fox News in the US is thinking of suing the ABC over a Four Corners episode about the Jan. 6 riots and general Fox coverage of Trump.

I doubt it will come to anything, but it shows how eager Murdoch is to use threats and intimidation to avoid scrutiny. That or they are just following the Porter/Roberts-Smith playbook.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
First of two episodes. Wonder what’s in the second…

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
bent over the guardian covid liveblog at 11:02am like :f5: :f5: :f5:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

1029! gently caress!!

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
1029 cases in NSW, 3 deaths.... we won!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Well we all saw it coming.

But loving hell

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Wiggles are now all drag queens forcing kids to sing songs about how White People are all evil and communism is the only way.
this is the society i want

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

perepelki posted:

bent over the guardian covid liveblog at 11:02am like :f5: :f5: :f5:

Your avatar owns. It's like being judged and found wanting by two very uninterested gods.

go_banana posted:

1029 cases in NSW, 3 deaths.... we won!

Go banana!

NSW relaxed restrictions for the maxvaxed:

People in NSW who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be given more freedoms from 12:01am on Monday, September 13.

For those who live outside the LGAs of concern, outdoor gatherings of up to five people (including children, all adults must be vaccinated) will be allowed in a person’s LGA or within 5km from home.

For those who live in the LGAs of concern, households with all adults vaccinated will be able to gather outdoors for recreation (including picnics) within the existing rules (for one hour only, outside curfew hours and within 5km of home). This is in addition to the one hour allowed for exercise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Congratulations NSW, you reached the 1000 mark, here's your reward of eased restrictions

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

The Peccadillo posted:

They licensed a Hispanic Wiggles like fifteen year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3ibvSkSdQ
this is incredible btw

extra fascinating to me as a non-parent because of the ads youtube gave me, which were all clickbait aimed at unattended 3-5s and went straight to sites designed to get a credit card number out of them as quickly as possible

e:

Eediot Jedi posted:

Your avatar owns. It's like being judged and found wanting by two very uninterested gods.
thank you, friend

perepelki fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

who is this man

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s honestly amazing that they’re loosening restrictions when the rate of change is still going up on day 70+

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

perepelki posted:

who is this man

!Patata caliente¡

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s honestly amazing that they’re loosening restrictions when the rate of change is still going up on day 70+

Gladys says we have to live alongside it and that’s what we’re gonna do

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I didn't watch the press conference, but this easing of restrictions for fully vaccinated people thing, did they say how police were going to confirm people's vaccination status?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

These don't kick off for another two weeks but yeah. I think it's a carrot to get people to vaccinate asap rather than put it off, waiting for numbers to go down. Those aren't exactly huge lifts, but they'd probably do a lot for surviving lockdown fatigue.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gentleman Baller posted:

I didn't watch the press conference, but this easing of restrictions for fully vaccinated people thing, did they say how police were going to confirm people's vaccination status?

Just an average roadside gooch check

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gentleman Baller posted:

Taste test

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Gentleman Baller posted:

Do you actually think that they've thought about this in any detail?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No way that WA/TAS/SA open our borders to NSW until we're either overrun with cases ourselves or have kids vaccinated.

See y'all next year I guess.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

No way that WA/TAS/SA open our borders to NSW until we're either overrun with cases ourselves or have kids vaccinated.

See y'all next year I guess.

You bet I'm writing to my local member telling them to not open the dam NSW border until health experts in SA deem it safe to do so- not a smirking failed marketeer. Speaking of Smirko:

New avatar

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

"the guardian posted:

Gladys Berejiklian has been repeating the message that “all states in Australia” will have to deal with what NSW is going through, as part of the national plan.
dfgdkljgfh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The NSW press release contained info about how to get your proof of vaccination on your phone or how to have it sent to you so presumably you will just have to show that to police if they ask you for it.

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1430712111554985995?s=20