Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Sickening posted:

I am a computer touches who makes a great living doing it lol.

a lot of words to say you don't get how ux works

actual content tho - the gsf wiki is pretty much tragedy of the commons playing out over the past few years. the only edits i've felt the need to do has been removing :pcgaming: gamer words :pcgaming: from articles which may actually (but probably are not) relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Maneck posted:

CCP making the ESI rest on a password change was a hateful act, right up there with allowing people to apply to a new corp while having roles in their old one.

Got to work, sat down, opened esi.goonfleet.com, BLOCKED BY URL FILTER uuugh

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

i will never fly a cap ever subcap 4 lyfe

Dread fleets are about shouting NPC dread, not flying them
Uncontested this make ludicrous money, like 800m per hour or so

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 31, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Krogort posted:

Dread fleets are about shouting NPC dread, not flying them
Uncontested this make ludicrous money, like 800m per hour or so

i am now intrigued and need to get off my rear end and unmute to actually do poo poo with krabswarm soon

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
2 pages of "oh no, ship fits in corp fitting in the drat fitting window or in every fleet motd or in 938157 dedicated goon fitting channels sorted by shiptype, shipname and fleet type are uncomfortable to use, update the wiki"

loving lmao

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 31, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Erulisse posted:

2 pages of "oh no, ship fits in corp fitting in the drat fitting window or in every fleet motd or in 938157 dedicated goon fitting channels sorted by shiptype, shipname and fleet type are uncomfortable to use, update the wiki"

loving lmao

I'm the biggest idiot and they are desperately easy to find

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of the non-doctrine fits on the wiki are either hilariously bad, out of date or both.

I've nuked several fits that simply don't fit their respective ships any more due to slot/role changes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

i will never fly a cap ever subcap 4 lyfe

That's why I loved black ops battleships. Subcaps with jump drives so best of both worlds. Murdering ratting carriers with blingy blops in hole squad was great.

I remember Nex had an absolutely disgusting neuting Sin setup that could drain a carrier dry. Good times.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it is i, the gatekeeper

all ye what can't hold down the ctrl button and tap F are cast from my domain

I am Vince Clortho the copy keeper. Are you the paste master?

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Sickening posted:

Are you in waffe? I would bet isk on that unless something has changed really recently. I remember setting up a ship after the horn sounded from the ingame corp fittings and being told I was dumb and wrong.

I'm in Karmafleet, and I'm not talking about ingame corp-shared fits. I'm talking about the webapp we built a few months ago in which you can copy/paste the current fit of your ship and have it validated against the reference one, with a multibuy-ready shopping list if you're missing poo poo.

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/310940-fit-validator-tool/

And we also have ingame fitting channels you should check out if you wanna keep it in the client, as mentioned there:

Mr. Grinch posted:

jesus christ are you unaware of goonfits? this is literally already true, you can login and use it right now

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

dialhforhero posted:

I am Vince Clortho the copy keeper. Are you the paste master?

i am the horse paste master

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OK you can stop jacking each other off now, I think that guy gets it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dialhforhero posted:

Both arguments are actually correct:

Is it actually “easy” to find this information? Yes.

But the information’s presentation is unfortunately presented with the bias of the presenter and what they know about a wiki or a forum, etc. It’s simple for YOU but obviously enough people don’t so this implies the existence of a solvable problem.

Instructions are incredibly tricky and if you aren’t familiar with the lingo or community, etc., even the most “simple” of instructions can be lost on the newcomer. The author(s) of instructions often don’t step back to think of the POV of the uninitiated. This is actually a big thing that classroom teachers and instructors learn (and continue to learn and improve on if they are any good). The system IS easy, but did you TEACH/SHOW others how easy it is?

The fact that someone literally said “I can’t believe people don’t know about CTRL-F!” Is a case in point.

It’s the very reason people complain and say they “can’t believe how others don’t know about thing!” It’s not that they CAN’T know it, they literally were never taught it!

NEVER take for granted or assume the knowledge other people have.

The fault imo is on the forums and wiki and Goons and not having a real “center” for information. If we want to be as newbie friendly as possible, we need to make the steps to initial knowledge of this game as simple and layman as possible and provide at least the basics of the gameplay in an easily accessible format. Is it via the in-game fittings window? A wiki? A forum post? All three?

A big problem that you should be noticing by now is that all three of those resources have their uses and pros/cons but only one can be easily navigated that can present information in chunks, with images and simple language, in a platform most are at least familiar with (the wiki).

Please refer to good wiki articles like the application process and mumble as examples. (At least last I checked forever ago). :v:

The irony is not lost on me with that statement.

I'm rattled by this post because I used to effort post like this about knowledge sharing tools before realizing that it really isn't a steep ask that someone use what's essentially a digital catalog or library to figure poo poo out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress Dewie and gently caress his decimals

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Kitfox88 posted:

gently caress Dewie and gently caress his decimals
What's the dd code for esoteric rants?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What the wiki can do and the fit tool doesn’t is explain what a ship is good for and give a few use case with tips on how to be good with it.

For exemple say that a interceptor can be used as a shuttle provided you put some inertia stab, a shield extender and don’t forget to activate the nullification module at every jump.
Or pointing that the omen Navy can be fitted like your classic Amarr brick but is also a pretty good kiter unlike the aforementioned bricks.

Even the doctrine forum doesn’t give much explanation about why poo poo is done a certain way and not another.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

OK you can stop jacking each other off now, I think that guy gets it

no I am rubbing myself with payslips showing my superior salary

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

What's the dd code for esoteric rants?

pretty sure it includes a 420 and probably also a 69

Kitfox88 posted:

I’m gay and have 8 days left on Cruise Missiles V :dance:

Other than cruise Ravens (which GSF doesnt use, but INIT does (i think?)) why should someone like me with ~100mil in subcap SP train Cruise V?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was creating my own programming languages at age 3 and this loving IDIOT can't figure out the fits

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

LiberalExtinction posted:

no I am rubbing myself with payslips showing my superior salary

:smug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Otacon posted:

Other than cruise Ravens (which GSF doesnt use, but INIT does (i think?)) why should someone like me with ~100mil in subcap SP train Cruise V?

Need that rate of fire for autotarget cruise missile dps on rats

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Otacon posted:

Delta Sqad has a Raven fit but I think they retired it recently.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Skiant posted:

And we also have ingame fitting channels you should check out if you wanna keep it in the client, as mentioned there:

The fitting channels aren't always up to date, which is what this whole discussion is about. As a newbee I used those fits until I realized they weren't the same as in the doctrine threads, luckily before I needed SRP.

The goon fit app is nice but last I checked for ADM fits it didn't have them, meaning I still have to use both.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Andohz posted:

The fitting channels aren't always up to date, which is what this whole discussion is about. As a newbee I used those fits until I realized they weren't the same as in the doctrine threads, luckily before I needed SRP.

The goon fit app is nice but last I checked for ADM fits it didn't have them, meaning I still have to use both.

Which is why the only updated and current place to always find fits is on the forums in the fittings threads. Go there, get fits. The wiki is out of date and can’t be relied upon. The goonfits channel is helpful but again is not maintained by the fitting team. Arguing about this is pointless unless someone feels inclined to take it upon themselves to fix what they deem to be a shortfall. If you are not willing to fix what you deem to be a shortfall, don’t complain about it. Sickening is the most egregious offender of the “complains about something then becomes conspicuously absent when someone suggests THEY fix what they are complaining about.”

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You turds are just making poo poo up now lmao.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Sickening posted:

So you're volunteering to fix the wiki?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

it's eve online :D

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

So you're volunteering to fix the wiki?

Sure, why not. Grant me the wiki roles and I will start the impossible task of posting fits there instead of 5 separated locations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

Need that rate of fire for autotarget cruise missile dps on rats

I don't think I even have Auto Targeting Missiles trained to 1

If this is some new ratting gimmick I don't get it

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Sickening posted:

Sure, why not. Grant me the wiki roles and I will start the impossible task of posting fits there instead of 5 separated locations.

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Goonwiki:Contributing

Goonspeed. I will stop slandering you now.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Saul Kain posted:

Which is why the only updated and current place to always find fits is on the forums in the fittings threads. Go there, get fits. The wiki is out of date and can’t be relied upon. The goonfits channel is helpful but again is not maintained by the fitting team. Arguing about this is pointless unless someone feels inclined to take it upon themselves to fix what they deem to be a shortfall. If you are not willing to fix what you deem to be a shortfall, don’t complain about it. Sickening is the most egregious offender of the “complains about something then becomes conspicuously absent when someone suggests THEY fix what they are complaining about.”

I wasn't complaining, and I'm pretty sure I don't have access to add the ADM fits to the goon fit app. I mostly use the app for verifying the fit of my ship before an op (which I originally got from the forums).

Also, regarding fixing the wiki, I thought mittens explicitly said on a fireside that it was going to be archived and replaced with a clean start, which would make fixing the current wiki useless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Otacon posted:

I don't think I even have Auto Targeting Missiles trained to 1

If this is some new ratting gimmick I don't get it

In blunt honestly it's mostly just because I trained Caldari Battleships to 5 and so I want Cruise Missiles to 5 as well for if I ever want or need to fly a Raven or such. Plus I think missiles are a cool weapon system.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Holy gently caress you guys are such whiny little shits.

If opening the forum, clicking on the big words that say" FLEET DOCTRINES AND REIMBURSEMENT" and then clicking on the post that says "GOONSWARM FEDERATION: UNIFIED STRATEGIC DOCTRINE is too much work for you all, how about you do it once then bookmark the page and put the bookmark in your browser tab for easy access?

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/296794-goonswarm-federation-unified-strategic-doctrine-mk-xi/ <---- Click this link and bookmark it.

It is unreasonable to expect every thing to be done for you all, and handholding you to this level is why people working in the service industry want to kill themselves all the time. I don't remember why, but Arrendis once clearly explained why they chose the forum for fitting doctrines and at the time it made a lot of sense.

There is no reason to make a deal about this. Its about the same number of clicks. The fits are updated and you can easily copy them into EVE.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Andohz posted:

I wasn't complaining, and I'm pretty sure I don't have access to add the ADM fits to the goon fit app. I mostly use the app for verifying the fit of my ship before an op (which I originally got from the forums).

Also, regarding fixing the wiki, I thought mittens explicitly said on a fireside that it was going to be archived and replaced with a clean start, which would make fixing the current wiki useless.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out specifically. You post brings up a valid point that there are disparate places where to find fits. Which is why I mentioned where the officially-updated fits reside on goonfleet dot com.

I was also using your post as a springboard to re-interate the old adage "if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

In my experience Goonfleet has been so successful largely because we've empowered our lowest level to fix problems if they see them. "Wanna FC? no problem here is Skirmish commanders". "Can you code? Sweet see if you can fix this problem." See something, say something AND THEN demand to be part of the solution to something. Leaving out the last part is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

The wiki is a giant herculean task which Sickening has so graciously agreed to take on. I'll be honest, I missed that fireside. If the wiki is getting a clean slate, all the better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

surely a high-paid computer toucher knows the defining feature of a wiki w/r/t the required roles to make edits

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
At one point sometime late last year Atrum had given roles to a few bees to keep the in-game corp fittings sync'd with the forum fittings. I take it those people hosed off/won Eve?

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

i hope I'm not the only one that can see the irony in a corp made up of people posting on forums, that are complaining that fits are posted on forums

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

surely a high-paid computer toucher knows the defining feature of a wiki w/r/t the required roles to make edits

:hmmyes:

Ah yes, the highly paid field of wiki janitoring.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

captainclaw posted:

i hope I'm not the only one that can see the irony in a corp made up of people posting on forums, that are complaining that fits are posted on forums

fits in forums?? shitposts come outta there!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sickening posted:

https://xkcd.com/927/