Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

if you're going in the direction of the main quest marker (seek out impa, specifically), you shouldn't be getting owned *that* hard

if you aren't though, all bets are off

It's worth following the main quest line to Kakariko village, as you unlock a few useful aspects of the game (like how to increase your inventory size)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From what I gather the game was designed around normal mode, but you could do master mode if you wanted. The game also has its own NG+ mode which sort of functions similarly, where it upgrades all enemies to their highest tier but you keep all your stuff.

Otherwise it's an increase in difficulty but not from numbers, but because they seem to have totally rehauled most of the game and redid tons of enemy placements. Saw one zone on the plateau where there was like three of those little mini-guardins that shoot baby lazers at you, and after you kill them you can do a new custom magnesis puzzle to climb to the top and get a really good hammer

but again, kind of wondering if anyone else has tried it because "there's guardians there now" seems to be a recurring theme

My impression of the hard mode balance was that it made it not worth engaging in combat if you could just avoid it, which is basically always. Just takes more resources than you'll get most of the time, and even if you're stocked up, it's just a waste of them and time. The mega sustenance dungeon is almost impossible on hard mode, there's a few floors you can only beat by having kept certain items from floors before and having taken no damage yet. Honestly the mode seemed really obnoxious and made the world less enjoyable to explore or go through.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I always recommend new BOTW players use shields a lot. Let them hit your shield and counter when they’re stunned. They’ll break, but just go on to the next one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah shields are probably the easiest to have excess of, so use the hell out of them. Parrying is great and doesn't deplete durability, but if you are unsure of your timing just take the hit on the shield.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's worth following the main quest line to Kakariko village, as you unlock a few useful aspects of the game (like how to increase your inventory size)

I think I missed the guy because I climbed and took a weird route. Where can I find him for sure? My small inventory space is a bit.... concerning.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the fighting tutorial shrine.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

OPAONI posted:

I think I missed the guy because I climbed and took a weird route. Where can I find him for sure? My small inventory space is a bit.... concerning.

He's on the path that leads from Dueling Peaks Stable to the Southeast Entrance of Karakiko village, just before you get to where the valley narrows to just the path.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

Yes. Learn to run away from or sneak round fights until you get better gear.

Ed: or chuck bombs at them till they die. Also a valid choice.

Hiding on high ground and throwing bombs at stupid, stupid monsters multiple times until they die was one of my favorite things to do early on in BoTW.

edit: I tried it with the first real run-in with a Guardian outside of Kakariko and eventually gave up after 30 minutes :haw:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

My impression of the hard mode balance was that it made it not worth engaging in combat if you could just avoid it, which is basically always. Just takes more resources than you'll get most of the time, and even if you're stocked up, it's just a waste of them and time. The mega sustenance dungeon is almost impossible on hard mode, there's a few floors you can only beat by having kept certain items from floors before and having taken no damage yet. Honestly the mode seemed really obnoxious and made the world less enjoyable to explore or go through.

Yeah the uhhhhh DLC dungeon thing wasn't really designed with master mode in mind, but the rest of the game is fine.

Also, the "never get into fights" thing is only really prevalent at the beginning of the game where you have to really plan encounters carefully to use weapons as little as possible. They also throw you a bone and have little bonus chests all over in MM with really good gear in it that you can take big advantage of. Tons of fights turned into cool puzzles - trying to knock enemies into water to instakill them, stealth-killing as many enemies as possible, dropping your weapons so you can steal the enemy's wooden weapons and set them on fire to win the fight without having used any resources. Once you're off the plateau the game throws you enough high-level weapons that instead of just leaving weapons behind like in normal mode, you keep a rotating stock - especially when you get to zones with enemies like Lizalfos which, because they're a higher tier, have super good weapons you can steal from them. I never had to resort to anything like doing Colosseum/Hyrule Castle runs to restock weapons. It also incentivizes you to keep your gear upgraded for the passive bonuses on the +damage or stealth sets, and cooking stat boosting foods is now something you want to stay on top of. Yeah, overall I really like the strategy layer additions it added to the game, even if regenerating health on enemies was a little annoying

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're really in a bind, find out where there are Lizalfos that have swords or spears that you want. Find some sort of shock weapon and just shock the lizalfos. It will drop its weapon, you can take it, and then go find another lizalfos to get more weapons.

Replaying the game and looking at the memories. It's funny that Zelda is going around, spending hours trying to get all this ancient poo poo to work because she thinks its for her. And then the memory ends, and then I (playing Link) activate whatever she was trying to figure out and finish it in a couple minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

If you're really in a bind, find out where there are Lizalfos that have swords or spears that you want. Find some sort of shock weapon and just shock the lizalfos. It will drop its weapon, you can take it, and then go find another lizalfos to get more weapons.

Replaying the game and looking at the memories. It's funny that Zelda is going around, spending hours trying to get all this ancient poo poo to work because she thinks its for her. And then the memory ends, and then I (playing Link) activate whatever she was trying to figure out and finish it in a couple minutes.

That's not the case; She knows it's for Link, she's trying to divise a way to MAKE it work for her because it's much more pragmatic than the spiritual stuff she's expected to do. And kinda poo poo at because she's a pragmatic scientist with zero blind faith.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not the case; She knows it's for Link, she's trying to divise a way to MAKE it work for her because it's much more pragmatic than the spiritual stuff she's expected to do. And kinda poo poo at because she's a pragmatic scientist with zero blind faith.

Heart of gold, dumb of rear end is the way.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I still wonder if she had been able to find out about Ganon's exploit on the guardians if she had been able to keep with the research.

And yeah, if they could get the ancient technology to work for other people they would have had more than just link well-equipped to fight the forces of darness.

EDIT: and also Darkness.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry, but if I woke up after 100 years and found out some rear end in a top hat took a bunch of spirit orbs, I'd be pissed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's my inventory! I don't know you!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Got dangit link, you lost your hookshot again? You'd better find it before sundown or I'm gonna whoop your rear end!

That boy ain't right.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's a bit weird that the bow has two upgrades in skyward sword when you get it so late in the game, it's not hard to have the parts to fully upgrade it immediately...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
"Dad I want to put a hookshot rack on my bike"
".... Do you have any idea how long I've waited to hear you say that?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Korok seeds were invented by Hestu to keep you busy while the Hylians did the cooking."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Golux posted:

It's a bit weird that the bow has two upgrades in skyward sword when you get it so late in the game, it's not hard to have the parts to fully upgrade it immediately...

Also that the only way to get the ~best shield~ is go through some combat challenges that prove you can get on just fine without the shield.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

“What would weirdos be doing near the horse stable?”

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Also that the only way to get the ~best shield~ is go through some combat challenges that prove you can get on just fine without the shield.

To be fair, "process to obtain ultimate reward proves you don't need it" is a common video game issue and not remotely exclusive to SS.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DanielCross posted:

To be fair, "process to obtain ultimate reward proves you don't need it" is a common video game issue and not remotely exclusive to SS.
The 99 1-ups for finding all 120 stars in Mario 64 has to be the worst offender. I'd rather get a lump of korok poo poo.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

The 99 1-ups for finding all 120 stars in Mario 64 has to be the worst offender. I'd rather get a lump of korok poo poo.

Hey hey hey. You also got a sparkly triple jump that lets you take no fall damage, which lets you ... get down from the castle?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it's also worse in every other way than the regular triple jump iirc.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DanielCross posted:

This is how I’ve felt about every Ganon fight ever, and most games in general - if you can get to the final battle, you’re overwhelmingly skilled and equipped to win it

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

Hey hey hey. You also got a sparkly triple jump that lets you take no fall damage, which lets you ... get down from the castle?
:stare:

I have 120-star'd that game multiple times and never knew this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I found two-handed combat in BotW very clumsy. My favourite was sword & board, and pole weapons worked well because it was easy to keep distance and poke, but two-handed swords and clubs were just an invitation to get splattered.

Also, BotW really should have had purely cosmetic gear slots.

Fifty Three posted:

:stare:

I have 120-star'd that game multiple times and never knew this.

I did that back in the heyday of the N64 and 150-starred the DS remake - no idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't like two handed swords and clubs. They are just too slow for me. I mostly use one handed swords and spears. I like how link looks with them better as well.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Two handed stamina attack is very good against lynels and hinox, just spin and smack their feets

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yeah, when I was playing regularly, a close sneak followed by a crotch-aimed spin-to-win with a Royal Claymore would kill most Hinoxes before they finished standing up.

It's been awhile though, so I might have also been topping them off with an Urbosa's fury.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Spin-to-win is the funniest way to play. Especially after you get Urbosa's Fury.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I don't like two handed swords and clubs. They are just too slow for me. I mostly use one handed swords and spears. I like how link looks with them better as well.

I specifically go to certain volcano and ice regions to get 3-bladed Lizalfos boomerangs because they have a great balance of attack speed and damage. They are my absolute favorites.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Two handed stamina attack is very good against lynels and hinox, just spin and smack their feets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-0dv-Pw5-c

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DanielCross posted:

IIRC you can't get the mirror shield in Minish Cap until you've won the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
To be honest, I wanted to play BotW (on normal difficulty) in a more 'realistic' way and actually sword duel a bit, so I didn't abuse the spinning except for maybe Lionels. I maintain that those big enemires like Hinoxs are edge cases, that abusing spin is kind of a gamey tactic and that two-handed weapons are otherwise very clumsy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's good against smaller enemies because they get knocked off their rear end with just a regular swing, and also you can knock shields aside

i do agree that it just doesn't feel very good to swing the big weapons around which is a crime. it ain't no dark souls zweihander that's for sure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/PRyzw2R.gifv

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

finally, a botw clip with a worthwhile payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It really is a lot better with sound

https://twitter.com/rezgor/status/943896581622738944