Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

In Training posted:

what was up in 08, were the people excited for medvedev.
Oil prices were skyrocketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow this is huge.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1438122960150224902

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
WB guy
the forums a little less bleak today

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

WB guy
the forums a little less bleak today

As long as the admins keep Larry banished from cspam, the forums will remain bad

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

As long as the admins keep Larry banished from cspam, the forums will remain bad
it's the turn of the tide

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

no mister bond, i expect you to vote communist

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Weird how the ancient and eternal enemy of the post-war US returns just as we end the war we've been fighting for twenty years. I'm not saying the USSR is an op but

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Enjoy posted:

no mister bond, i expect you to vote communist

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

USSR 2: First as tragedy, then as farce

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
USSR II: The Klumps and Eddie Murphy plays every member of the cabinet

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
the 2SSR

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Everything from the 90s is getting a gay reboot and I look forward to the femboy USSR

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tokin opposition posted:

Everything from the 90s is getting a gay reboot and I look forward to the femboy USSR

Perish the thought, the successor to the communist party in Russia approved Putins punitive measures against gay rights

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
2 Fast 2 SR

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

-Lenin, chastising Stalin's plan to amalgamate Georgia and Azerbaijan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
USSR 2: USSRer

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

r guy back at the same time this happens???
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1438208633377116177?s=20

can't be a coincidence.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

R. Guyovich posted:

ello what's all this then

:thunk:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

r guy back at the same time this happens???
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1438208633377116177?s=20

can't be a coincidence.

what happened to "the quad"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

India was out sick

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

India was out sick

And they’re brown

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

just noticed that the usa is on the opposite side of the world?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Canada probably wanted in but was judged to have too many Chinese interests

especially since Canada can be sued in Chinese court to change its laws thanks to Harper

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

especially since Canada can be sued in Chinese court to change its laws thanks to Harper
let me guess: intellectual property legislation that got out of hand

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Kremlin's II: The New Batch

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Sep 16, 2021

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
homoex is back, the forums are saved and i will never post again

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i lied

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

let me guess: intellectual property legislation that got out of hand

nope! tit for tat but if I recall correctly the tat never came lol

https://www.newsweek.com/new-treaty-allows-china-sue-canada-change-its-laws-270751

quote:

New Treaty Allows China to Sue Canada to Change its Laws

BY LAUREN WALKER ON 9/15/14 AT 5:22 PM Despite public outcry, Stephen Harper, Canada's prime minister, ratified a controversial treaty on Friday that will allow China to sue Canada in secret tribunals for Canadian laws that interfere with Chinese investments.

Analysts interpret the move as an attempt to ease strained relations between the two nations. This summer, Canada accused China of hacking government computers, and China detained a Canadian couple for "spying." Wenran Jiang, a senior fellow at the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada and a special adviser to the Alberta government told the Globe and Mail, "We need something from China prior to the prime minister's visit, and we're ratifying this treaty and we're kicking the ball over to the Chinese side to get something in return." That "something" is thought to be the release of the couple before Harper visits China in November.

The Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) was quietly signed two years ago in Vladisvostok, Russia, but public protest delayed ratification up until now.

The treaty goes into effect on October 1 and will last for 31 years, until 2045. It allows China to challenge Canadian laws it deems harmful to Chinese assets, and only requires the lawsuit be made public once an award is issued by a tribunal. Treaty law expert Gus Van Harten warns this could be problematic. "This means that the federal government could settle the lawsuit, including by varying its conduct in a way that many Canadians would oppose, or by paying out public money before an award is issued, and we would never know," he told the Vancouver Observer. The treaty makes no limits on the damages that can be awarded.

The treaty also threatens treaty obligations Canada has with its First Nations regarding resources and commercial management. Paired with the terms allowing Chinese entities to buy anything they wish without foreign investment review, China will have access to and potentially be able to gain control of Canadian resources—including resources on First Nations' lands, which Canada does not own.

The deal is almost impossible to undo. Even if Canadian courts decide the treaty is unconstitutional, China would have to agree to abandon the treaty, and analysts say this is unlikely since it is so heavily in China's favor. Chinese investment in Canada is much larger than Canada's investment in China. Chinese companies have invested more than $30 billion in Canada's energy industry alone, while Canadian investment in all Chinese sectors totaled $4.2 billion in 2012.

Some critics point out that the terms are not reciprocal. Van Harten said, "It gives a general right to market access by Chinese investors to the Canadian economy, but not vice versa." He also noted that Canada's government is more open than China's. "China could point to any rule that allows any level of government in China to block a Canadian investment," he said.

Canadian supporters of the treaty, including Ed Fast, the minister of International Trade, argue the deal is beneficial to Canadians. Fast said, "Investment agreements provide the protection and confidence Canadian investors need to expand, grow and succeed abroad. We remain committed to opening new markets around the world for Canadian companies, including in the fast-growing Asia-Pacific region. This FIPA will create jobs and economic opportunities for Canadians in every region of [China]."

Sarah Kutulakos, executive director of the Canada-China Business Council, said it was time Canada reward China for its heavy investments. "China has been in a position where it's saying: 'Hey, Canada, we've been really putting forward our best efforts to do business with you, and you don't seem very interested.' The question is how long will China keep trying," she said.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

mila kunis posted:

It’s still happening

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-09-14/China-warns-against-small-cliques-politics-as-Quad-leaders-to-meet-13yifKdlQ08/index.html

quote:

China warns against 'small cliques' politics as 'Quad' leaders to meet

The Chinese Foreign Ministry (MOFA) on Tuesday denounced an attempt to form small cliques against other countries, saying it goes against the trend of history and will end in total failure.

U.S. President Joe Biden next week will host a first in-person summit of leaders of the "Quad" countries: Australia, India, Japan and the U.S. The block claims to rival China's growing power in "Indo-Pacific."

Speaking at a regular press conference, MOFA spokesperson Zhao Lijian stressed that China believes any regional cooperation mechanism should conform to the trend of the times of peace and development, and help to enhance mutual trust and cooperation among regional countries

It should not target or harm the interests of third parties, he added.

Zhao noted that China is not only the main engine of economic growth in the Asia-Pacific region, but also a firm defender of regional peace and stability.

China's development contributes to the growth of global peaceful forces and the prosperity and development of the region, said the spokesperson.

He urged relevant countries to abandon the outdated zero-sum game mentality and narrow geopolitical concepts, and view China's development correctly.

Zhao also called for respecting the hearts and minds of the people in the region and doing more to promote the unity and cooperation of regional countries.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Kremlin's II: The New Batch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The development of a market economy in 1979 touched not only the countryside but also the cities. By the early 1980s small entrepreneurs were active in all large and small Chinese cities. By this time, masses of youths who had been sent down to the people’s communes during the Cultural Revolution literally flooded into the cities from the countryside. In 1978–79, the urban population grew by six and a half million people, and in the early 1980s by another twenty million. What could be done with this labor force if state enterprises were unable to provide jobs for all of them? Small-scale urban businesses had to be permitted—individual household enterprises operating on the market. So that no one in the party could object to such a zigzag, Deng’s supporters dug out of the fourth volume of Marx’s Capital the story of a capitalist who exploited eight workers. “If Marx spoke precisely of eight, it means that the hiring of seven would not make one a capitalist,” they logically concluded. “And if the boss himself will be working, then what sort of capitalism could this possibly be?” Deng liked this “scholarly” argument, so on his initiative the leadership of the CC and the State Council permitted individual household enterprises with no more than seven workers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
this deng guy sounds like a dumbass

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao now that's what i call a rules lawyer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
antirevisionists hate him!

check out this man's one weird trick to survive multiple purges

Truga has issued a correction as of 11:24 on Sep 17, 2021

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Truga posted:

antirevisionists hate him!

check out this man's one weird trick to survive multiple purges

how many purges did Marx write about?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Truga posted:

lmfao now that's what i call a rules lawyer

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Harvey correctly put that dipshit on the cover of his neoliberalism book next to Reagan and Thatcher