Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

considering mao still falls into the 50 year time span why would anyone pick deng

because he liked cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
mao and deng were both the right people at the right time, but i believe you will find the self-determination of the chinese people and the entire body of the cpc to be the most influential of all

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

hot witch divorcee posted:

mao and deng were both the right people at the right time, but i believe you will find the self-determination of the chinese people and the entire body of the cpc to be the most influential of all

thanks, time magazine!

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

how influential could Mao possibly be when he never made a single post

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lightningproof posted:

how influential could Mao possibly be when he never made a single post

the little red book is just a compilation of shitposts

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Centrist Committee posted:

thanks, time magazine!

absolute trash rag that deserves to get apple daily'd but i will defend the "you" as the person of the year that one time and fight about it. like come on the whole person of the year thing is the most easy to understand lib concept and yet you people still can't get it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Mao did a genocide (of birds)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/VersoUnionUK/status/1440691419132301322?s=20
https://twitter.com/VersoUnionUK/status/1440691424077381633?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

christmas boots posted:

Mao did a genocide (of birds)
Those weren't real birds, they were prototype CIA drones. Where do you think the conspiracy theory comes from?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the whole mao killed all the sparrows thing is just an attempt to create a "dual genocide" myth that equates the horrors of the holocaust with chinese communism and excuse the birds who were happy to become nazi collaborators

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

paul_soccer12 posted:

the whole mao killed all the sparrows thing is just an attempt to create a "dual genocide" myth that equates the horrors of the holocaust with chinese communism and excuse the birds who were happy to become nazi collaborators

I feel like this would work better if the birds had been geese. So that's another point against Mao for loving up a good bit nearly a century down the road.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i think the bit is merely "ok" but thank you anyway

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

You would think Mao would have been more paranoid about bugs after the U.S. almost definitely used biological warfare against China and Korea in the late 40s and early 50s, and then covered it up by inventing the term "brainwashing" to explain the scores of U.S. soldiers who apologized for it and other war crimes

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
psychological warfare is a spook

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

speaking of psychological warfare, part 3 of this is gonna be even crazier

https://redvoice.news/the-devil-wears-dashikis-pt-2-2bfrank/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yossarian-22 posted:

You would think Mao would have been more paranoid about bugs after the U.S. almost definitely used biological warfare against China and Korea in the late 40s and early 50s, and then covered it up by inventing the term "brainwashing" to explain the scores of U.S. soldiers who apologized for it and other war crimes

what’s this about

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

what’s this about

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/the-long-suppressed-korean-war-report-on-u-s-use-of-biological-weapons-released-at-last-20d83f5cee54

quote:

The [International Scientific Commission] travelled to China and North Korea in the summer of 1952 and by September produced the “Report of International Scientific Commission for the Investigation of the Facts Concerning Bacterial Warfare in Korea and China,” which corroborated the Chinese and North Korean claims that the U.S. had used biological weapons in an experimental fashion on civilian populations.

The summary report was only some 60 pages long, but the ISC included over 600 pages of documentary material comprising statements from witnesses, including airmen involved in dropping the weaponry, as well as captured enemy agents; reports from doctors; journal articles from the United States; autopsy reports and lab tests; and photos and other materials. Most of this documentary material has been all but inaccessible for decades, with only a handful of copies of the ISC report in a few scattered libraries in the United States.

The report concluded that the U.S. had used a number of biological weapons, including use of anthrax, plague, and cholera, disseminated by over a dozen of different devices or methods, including spraying, porcelain bombs, self-destroying paper containers with a paper parachute, and leaflet bombs, among others.

The charges of U.S. use of biological warfare during the Korean War have long been the subject of intense controversy. The reliance, in part, on testimony from U.S. prisoners of war led to U.S. charges of “brainwashing.” These charges later became the basis of a cover story for covert CIA experimentation into use of use of drugs and other forms of coercive interrogation and torture that became the basis for its 1963 KUBARK manual on interrogation, and much later, a powerful influence on the CIA’s post-9/11 “enhanced interrogation” program

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gradenko_2000 posted:

there was that post about "who was the most influential leftist leader of the last 50 years" and barely anyone acknowledged Deng (who was right)

bill kristol did, lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's certainly something when you realize there's a direct through-line:

- the US does biological warfare on Korea
- US POWs testify that this is the case
- the US government denies this and accuses the POWs of being brainwashed
- the US government commissions its own project into how to do brainwashing, because if the Soviets did it then they should be able to replicate it
- that leads to MKULTRA (among other projects)
- the CIA never gives up on mind control techniques even if the tech has to go into incubation for years
- they finally come up with something
- they deploy it overseas
- it starts giving people headaches
- HAVANA SYNDROME

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Great, so we're back to promoting a conspiracy theory of government requiring the coordination of entire branches rather than the even remote possibility that different constituencies and legislators have different interests or political calculi. The Democrats are not a monolith. "Capital" is not a monolith.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

drat, different branches of same government coordinating with each other? I can't think of a single time when that happened

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

there is simply no way of knowing why capital does what it does. someone should look into that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Red and Black posted:

drat, different branches of same government coordinating with each other? I can't think of a single time when that happened

Same, but unironical

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stringent posted:

Great, so we're back to promoting a conspiracy theory of government requiring the coordination of entire branches rather than the even remote possibility that different constituencies and legislators have different interests or political calculi. The Democrats are not a monolith. "Capital" is not a monolith.

the theory doesn't require that and even if it did: yes *sometimes* that happens!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

there is simply no way of knowing why capital does what it does. someone should look into that.

preferably with a method. This Hegel guy said history could be a process, hmm

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

preferably with a method. This Hegel guy said history could be a process, hmm

Eh, Hegel couldn't count higher than 2 so I'm not sure what use his ideas were.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
somebody needs to just get it over with and write a book on the subject, hell you could even call it something like "Capital" so everybody understands what the book is about

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh it’s discendo vox, the most retarded poster on the forums

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's mean to actual mentally disabled people. Mentally disabled people don't act like he does.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

- the US government commissions its own project into how to do brainwashing, because if the Soviets did it then they should be able to replicate it
- the CIA never gives up on mind control techniques even if the tech has to go into incubation for years
- HAVANA SYNDROME

MKULTRA turned into social media

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Stringent posted:

its literally one part of the cia makes up some poo poo and then another department thinks its real and is like "we should have that", mushbrain

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

in fairness we have a thread for posts like stringent's and this isn't it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

- HAVANA SYNDROME

many such cases!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I believe capital is like dogs and it just sort of does things arbitrarily.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

christmas boots posted:

I believe capital is like dogs and it just sort of does things arbitrarily.

many such cases!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not marx but this is where all the history majors hang out.

how long was it after the liberation of the concentration camps before all the mass graves and general atrocities became general knowledge? was it months, years, decades?

like I could see dissemination of it being valuable to get people behind the creation of israel but I could also see gag orders being laid down because fasc doen't like to castigate fasc and you probably don't want people knowing what horrible monsters nazis where when you're trying to slot said nazis into positions in your high energy physics and medical research departments.

the marx thing that got me wondering this is, looking at the u.s., I'm trying to figure out where the shift occurred between say operations in the philipines where s.o.p. was totally kill/rape those little brown fuckers into submission and, like korea/vietnam where the s.o.p. was kill/rape those little brown fuckers into submission but make sure you're not on camera when you're doing it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol the death camps were known almost from the day they started using the crematoriums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

well yeah, but how long was the delay before time magazine started running articles about it?