Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yeah, but the "we can't save everything" idea is a bit stupid. Not back in the 60s when storage was counted in kilobytes, but today it's just like "throw it all in there, what's a megabyte more?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

ymgve posted:

Yeah, but the "we can't save everything" idea is a bit stupid. Not back in the 60s when storage was counted in kilobytes, but today it's just like "throw it all in there, what's a megabyte more?"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If they are discussing the best physical methods of keeping time, maybe they are planning for an encyclopedia that doesn't require computers?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

duz posted:

If they are discussing the best physical methods of keeping time, maybe they are planning for an encyclopedia that doesn't require computers?

Holding out for a scene where they develop the Voyager 1 star maps and "nothing valued is here" warnings

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Oh, right, that was actually my initial impression during my viewing. At the same time, sending out a Voyager-like package of data on a probe could also help once the fallen civilization gets back to the point of being able to access stuff encoded that way

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you look for in good lighting?

What I'm appreciating here is the, to drop a :fivecbux: word, chiaroscuro, the interplay of light and shadow. This show has a lot of scenes where the characters appear to shine in darkness with dramatic shadows on and around them. It's difficult to achieve as cameras generally need a lot more light than the human eye to do their work. Stanley Kubrick famously borrowed a special lens from NASA, one of only 10 made to photograph the dark side of the moon, to shoot candlelit scenes in his film Barry Lyndon (and then this feeds into the conspiracy theory that the moon landing was a hoax).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You don't shorten a dark age by hoarding knowledge until the moment it's over.

Yeah, you put all the information on a whole swarm of computers, send them out on a long near lightspeed trip into deep space to reduce the flow of time (and thus entropy) on their hardware and have them swing back around to drop their information bombs on all the planets in repeated waves over the few thousand years of the dark ages so that as soon as people are able to decode it they can get access to it, and even if they destroy earlier information drops in the conflict you have a constant stream of them arriving.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

galenanorth posted:

Oh, right, that was actually my initial impression during my viewing. At the same time, sending out a Voyager-like package of data on a probe could also help once the fallen civilization gets back to the point of being able to access stuff encoded that way

Well the main theme of the early books was use knowledge to shorten the forthcoming dark age not preserving the knowledge, the main theme of the later books was just Asimov keep writing more books for publisher fat checks.

Also interesting, when Asimov was writing the "dark age" in the 1950s he was thinking of the post-Roman empire middle age which was not all that dark by all accounts. Dark Age to me, was the Bronze age collapse that spanned multiple civilizations in near east and possible climate change related. There was also a few hundred years of unrecorded period in Greece before the classical Greece period. Writing was lost.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think that was widely known in the 1940s.

The stuff on Terminus this week was downright confusing, since they see an anachreon ship through binoculars, then pick them up on radar 40 hours away, then are surprised that an advanced party has already arrived. Either Salvor is very stupid or there was a VFX problem and the ship wasn't supposed to appear on the binoculars just a few miles away.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2021

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Maybe dumb question: If i only watched the show, should i know who or what "the mule" that every second post is talking about is?

So far i'm liking it. Lots of building an interesting universe which i always like. Empire gives good Dune-vibes. They should have cut out the romance subplot on the spaceship though.
Was excited to see Strike Back's Wyatt as not-Han Solo. Given that he stayed true to his former role so far and sexxed up the girl 5 minutes after arriving on screen i expect the three measly gunships go boom in a spectacular fashion in the next episode no problem. Curious where the show goes from there.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The binoculars are super future-tech, I think. Earlier, space-boyfriend is showing Salvor all the planets he's been to and they're just holding it by hand and its flopping around loose, gotta be some magic in it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lester Fremen

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

bou posted:

Maybe dumb question: If i only watched the show, should i know who or what "the mule" that every second post is talking about is?

No

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Lester Fremen

Lol

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Thank you friend!

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Is popular book reader opinion that Shearsmith’s character is a Second Foundationer?

bou, there are many hurdles to the Sheldon Plan in the future and The Mule is one of these stumbling blocks introduced at the end of the second book. We probably get there next season or in the third.

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 4, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How many episode is in a Apple show reason? I have no idea.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

This show has 10 episodes for the first season. Supposedly they have an 80 episode story laid out.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Odoyle posted:

Is popular book reader opinion that Shearsmith’s character is a Second Foundationer?

bou, there are many hurdles to the Sheldon Plan in the future and The Mule is one of these stumbling blocks introduced at the end of the second book. We probably get there next season or in the third.

I'm guessing not. IMO it works better for the premise if the Plan stands on its own for at least a while, so it feels too early for the Second Foundation to be actively manipulating events. His character does feel like there's something more than meets the eye, though.

I haven't read Foundation and Chaos yet, though. It's one of the three officially licensed fan-fiction books that takes place at the same time as the short story corresponding to the first two episodes. I hadn't read it because the Foundation series is so long I was in "read another book" meme territory, but with the Robot/Foundation universe.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 4, 2021

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, I can't believe they killed off Lee Pace's character in ep 3

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

stephenthinkpad posted:

My complaint of Foundation books is that the premise of math predicting human future is janky, not that it's soft scifi or hard scifi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Bueno_de_Mesquita

Kazzah posted:

Man, I can't believe they killed off Lee Pace's character in ep 3

I really like what they've done with the Cleons. Moving from episode 2 to 3 and having the actors all switch characters and they are doing a great job of selling it. You can tell how episode 3's (new) Brother Dusk is Lee Pace's character from ep2 and so on. Loving the stuff on Trantor.

Tiggum posted:

A scientist, Hari Seldon, used his revolutionary new science to predict that the galactic government would fall. The head of that government (who is a clone) didn't want to hear that but there was a terrorist attack that seems to confirm it, so he banished Seldon and all his friends to the farthest edge of the galaxy to write an encyclopaedia. On the way, Seldon was murdered and his assistant thrown off the ship for reasons, as yet, unknown. When they get to their destination, there's a weird artefact there that no one can get near.

Decades pass. There's now a woman who can go near the artefact. No one knows why. One of the nearby planets has taken some threatening actions and the scientists find they can't contact the empire for help.

Guy who believes in The Plan (that the empire is collapsing and is potentially halfway into that collapse): hey, we should ask the Empire for help, way out here at the edge of the galaxy!
Communications Officer: The Empire isn't answering our calls...
Guy who believes in The Plan (that the empire is collapsing and is potentially halfway into that collapse): uhhh...try again...
:downsgun:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've not read any of the books and I am enjoying this show a lot, both the trantor stuff and the terminus stuff. It's a little, idk, melodramatic at times but that's fine. Not every sci-Fi story needs a wise cracking space dog.

Robot lady is pretty fascinating. I enjoyed the cut to the first Cleon. I hope we get more of her backstory as time goes on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Show continues to be good across the board. It's an ideal balance between austere and goofy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nitrousoxide posted:

The central conceit to the Foundation is a bit silly since they don't really need to make choices on what to save or not, They could store everything in a computer and then go to near lightspeed to get time dialation until the scheduled end of the dark ages and then spread their stored information around all in a matter of days from their perspective.

Have you read A Canticle for Leibowitz?

A fun bit of post-apocalyptic Dark ages sci-fi where they attempt to save as much information as they can, and the consequences of relying on medieval monks to do so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always thought the fall was intended to be a long period of intense war, and then eventually the factions will be so destroyed and then the foundation can come in and help people rebuild. But the show seems to be behaving as if someone is going to shut the lights off all at once and everyone will instantly start beating each other with sticks and stones.

Also I'd think that if you live on a planet with an extreme climate like no easily accessible water, the civilization there probably requires a great deal of tech and engineering to make sure everyone doesn't die. The Fremen relied on massive windtraps to gleen moisture from the air, and stillsuits and technology to reclaim water from corpses. That was already existing tech or based on stuff already available. If that vanished, then the people are dead and you don't really have to worry about uplifting them from barbarism.

That reminds me, it annoys me in sci fi shows where they show colonies in the middle of rock quarries. No one is going to build a large settlement away from a body of fresh water, either a river or a lake. No one builds away from readily available water, so why does the Terminus settlement seem like its on the island from The Terror? The Expanse did this to with the Belters on Ilus, and we know that planet had open water, because it literally tries to kill them. Just cgi a river into your establishing shots, or is that not Alien for you?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought the fall was intended to be a long period of intense war, and then eventually the factions will be so destroyed and then the foundation can come in and help people rebuild. But the show seems to be behaving as if someone is going to shut the lights off all at once and everyone will instantly start beating each other with sticks and stones.

Also I'd think that if you live on a planet with an extreme climate like no easily accessible water, the civilization there probably requires a great deal of tech and engineering to make sure everyone doesn't die. The Fremen relied on massive windtraps to gleen moisture from the air, and stillsuits and technology to reclaim water from corpses. That was already existing tech or based on stuff already available. If that vanished, then the people are dead and you don't really have to worry about uplifting them from barbarism.

That reminds me, it annoys me in sci fi shows where they show colonies in the middle of rock quarries. No one is going to build a large settlement away from a body of fresh water, either a river or a lake. No one builds away from readily available water, so why does the Terminus settlement seem like its on the island from The Terror? The Expanse did this to with the Belters on Ilus, and we know that planet had open water, because it literally tries to kill them. Just cgi a river into your establishing shots, or is that not Alien for you?

It felt like that would've gone well with the narration "predicted exactly where the colony would be founded", i.e. following a basic rule of civilization that was somehow put in mathematical terms

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Foundation: The Folly of Centralized Government

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
maybe I'm not up to my sci-fi or science for that matter, but did anyone else found it weird that space elevator is treated more of an achievement in the empire (or at least Cleon clones, - maybe its a sentiment?), than the vip spaceships that can create their own black holes to teleport across known universe?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, jump ships that manipulate gravity to bend spacetime or however they work seem like a way huger achievement.

The massive space elevator connected to a moon-sized structure in low-orbit also seems like a profoundly absurd idea from an engineering standpoint. A 14-hour descent in a space elevator to a single fixed point on the surface somehow makes more sense than a fleet of vessels that ferry people on and off-planet using gravity thrusters? If I was trying to get somewhere on the opposite side of Trantor from the elevator, I'd still need to take the elevator, and then hop into some arcane hyperloop to get thousands of miles away?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought the fall was intended to be a long period of intense war, and then eventually the factions will be so destroyed and then the foundation can come in and help people rebuild.

in the books thats mostly how it happens. there is a big thing about the youngs dont learn trades and so the empire is slowly forgeting how to use its infrastructure tech. for example they dont know how to make new plumbing but they do know how to repair it but all those dudes are old in the first few chapters of the first book. then the empire loses its grip when space texas secede and then everyone else is like oh its cool if they go? then we are going to.

then it picks up with like 100 yrs later or something and the foundation is trying to help the different territories be lifted out of barbarism and a bunch of cryptic messages about where the 2nd foundation is. then it was the mule showing that even psychohistory isnt perfect then it was the 2nd foundation and then it ties into the irobot universe. i suspect the show may not want to go with that final thread.

stephenthinkpad posted:

My complaint of Foundation books is that the premise of math predicting human future is janky, not that it's soft scifi or hard scifi.

its so much worse then using math to predict human future it uses history psychology and math in an unholy mish mash to do it.

keisisqrl
Sep 30, 2009
let's be honest the real suspension of disbelief requirement for the space elevator is that Cleon's prestige transit thing is useful and not a streetcar to nowhere

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey, I know the books is decades old, but can we not spoil the upcoming events of the TV series in this thread?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

snergle posted:

its so much worse then using math to predict human future it uses history psychology and math in an unholy mish mash to do it.

We have that already; it's called "sociology." Asimov has since admitted that he should have called it "sociohistory," but I think "psychohistory" has a better ring to it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gesadt posted:

maybe I'm not up to my sci-fi or science for that matter, but did anyone else found it weird that space elevator is treated more of an achievement in the empire (or at least Cleon clones, - maybe its a sentiment?), than the vip spaceships that can create their own black holes to teleport across known universe?

I assumed it was being treated more as a monument to himself than it was a useful technology.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It takes 14 hours to go from low orbit to surface on the galactic empire space elevator, but it will only minutes in J Bezos penis shaped rocket.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

duz posted:

I assumed it was being treated more as a monument to himself than it was a useful technology.

It was just so Brother Day clones can make a tacky Tupac hologram greeting to show off.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just binged the first 3 eps and wow, this was way better than what I was expecting (as a books nerd). I love the weird clone trifecta Empire, the space elevator was cool, and the adaptation makes sense for screen pretty well. I just hope the production company is willing to commit to 8 seasons :ohdear:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s weird to me that they added a space 9/11 and a climate change planet as explicit call outs to modern real world perils, but didn’t adapt psychohistory to be about machine learning and AI applied to sociology, economics, etc.

“Big data and algorithms can predict the future given enough inputs” and turning Hari into some sort of sci-fi data scientist would’ve been an interesting take and I think a little more relatable than “psychohistory is just staring at floating dust” which barely worked in the books in the first place.

Love the show, though, the Cleons are great, and I love whatever accent the actress that plays Demerzel is doing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess that's an issue when adapting the works of someone who didn't know what a computer would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

... but didn’t adapt psychohistory to be about machine learning and AI applied to sociology, economics, etc.