Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DRINK ME posted:

This is loving hilarious and not just because of the “Romani Ite Domum” sign.

https://twitter.com/jason_om/status/1444932812734226433

Sydney deserves Perrotet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pro tip: unless you know the precise date and place you last used your Medicare card, you will need to go into a Medicare office and ask for a code which allows you to bypass that question when you're trying to link your accounts.

They let you do this now on the phone, thankfully.

Ask me how I know!

(40mins on hold first)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DRINK ME posted:

This is loving hilarious and not just because of the “Romani Ite Domum” sign.

https://twitter.com/jason_om/status/1444932812734226433

How much of this is astroturfed do you think?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

My conservative estimate is all of it.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm not surprised australia has fallen, it constantly fails to clear even low hurdles.
australia has fallen and it can't get up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

australia has fallen and it can't get up

Hopefully someone turns it over on its shell and let’s nature take its course

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The shitshow is leaving the station, all abooooarrrddddd!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Infinitum posted:

The shitshow is leaving the station, all abooooarrrddddd!

People were willing to stick it out because it was only for another couple of weeks. I anything delays that, you're going to see civil disobedience on a massive scale.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Barnaby has already whined about how hard it would be for "politicians to do their job" with the kind of scrutiny a federal ICAC would entail.

Where "their job" is to shovel money from the taxpayer to their mates, donors, and fellow travellers.

It's astounding that this is the thought process - being expected to comply with the rules (which they themselves have written and voted into legislation) is a bridge too far.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lolie posted:

People were willing to stick it out because it was only for another couple of weeks. I anything delays that, you're going to see civil disobedience on a massive scale.

With some justification. But I dont think in this case the adjustments will be to delay repoenings

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lolie posted:

We will 100% see riots if he fucks with Oct 11 at this point.

Though I reckon he might move the goal posts for the '80%' milestone.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

He’s been arguing for opening quicker, so yeah I feel any changes will be to speed things up rather than delay

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

You know poo poo's bad when even convicted racist Andrew Bolt comes out and says, "No, don't feel sorry for her. This is of her own making and she is probably shady as hell."

The rest of his column was about how it should have been Dan Andrews thrown out of office

Yeast posted:

They let you do this now on the phone, thankfully.

Ask me how I know!

(40mins on hold first)

I wish that had been the case with me. The whole loving thing was a Kafkaesque nightmare.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Infinitum posted:

We will 100% see riots if he fucks with Oct 11 at this point.

So you think there be riots when people realise that is an easing of restrictions not "do whatever you want"?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That's definitely guaranteed. The question is whether it's just the small group of morons that did it before.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Geoffrey Robertson QC holds the NSW ICAC up as a model for anti-corruption activity worldwide, but it seems he was mistaken and it's actually not the sort of thing that should exist even at a federal level, let alone in other countries.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Why is Tony Abbott in Taiwan?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Animal Friend posted:

Look don't look a gift horse in the mouth, just change the locks and don't ask any more questions okay.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Animal Friend posted:

Given that the media in the US is going on about China flying through Taiwans air defense detection zone, probably something to do with that.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Animal Friend posted:

He's giving a speech at the Yushan Forum officially, unofficially he'll probably say some other things about Australian support etc etc

quote:

Entering into its fifth year, the 2021 Yushan Forum will explore the prospect of "Resetting Priorities of Progress with Resilience." As the resilience of the international community is constantly put to a test by greater challenges, the Yushan Forum will bring together the best and the brightest minds and dedicate themselves to the search for a people-centered development model to end disparity and achieve inclusive growth.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Animal Friend posted:

No better time for China to bring its wayward eastern cousin back under control

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

JBP posted:

Yes once it's November this my preference. gently caress living like this any longer.

Can kids get vaccinated?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

yoloer420 posted:

So you think there be riots when people realise that is an easing of restrictions not "do whatever you want"?

Under the original plan 70% and 80% would happen a week and a bit apart and then the final lifting of restrictions would happen at the beginning of December. As some restrictions will remain after that final lifting, that's the point where I think you'll see major pushback from people who've been pro-lockdown and previously happy to comply with the stay at home orders.

Perrottet needs to let people know his intentions regarding lifting the stay at home orders ASAP.

The Opposition should be in full on attack mode about people being left with uncertainty.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 5, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hashy posted:

Can kids get vaccinated?

This question worries me but there seems to be a sense of inevitability to opening up and back to school now for better or worse. I haven't heard the government address it much beyond talking about ventilation. I think Pfizer is getting eua in America for young kids pretty soon, probably too late for kids here though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I love stories like "I was undecided about getting vaccinated, but when it was made mandatory I decided not to". Powerful I'm 12 years old you can't tell me what to do now energy.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eediot Jedi posted:

I love stories like "I was undecided about getting vaccinated, but when it was made mandatory I decided not to". Powerful I'm 12 years old you can't tell me what to do now energy.

I like how googling a few anti vax sites and watching some YouTube is called 'research' now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

EoinCannon posted:

I like how googling a few anti vax sites and watching some YouTube is called 'research' now.

Back in my day we had to go to the library and photocopy the elder protocols of zion for our conspiracy theories, now you can just do it on your phone smh

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If YouTube is good enough to raise my kids it's good enough to inform my medical decisions.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wife works in an vaccine mandated industry, they had an all staff meeting explaining what that means and there were people crying. I make fun of anti vaxxers but it's still pretty sad :(

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

This question worries me but there seems to be a sense of inevitability to opening up and back to school now for better or worse. I haven't heard the government address it much beyond talking about ventilation. I think Pfizer is getting eua in America for young kids pretty soon, probably too late for kids here though.

It will almost certainly be approved for 5+ by the time term 1 of 2022 rolls around. Our government has told Pfizer to seek approval.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I feel like if Novovax was approved here she'd be waiting for some other vaccine which isn't.

Meanwhile in Melbourne

quote:

The Victorian secretary of the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union, John Setka, was on ABC News Breakfast this morning, discussing two key issues.

The first issue was the positive cases among CFMEU members, and how linked it was to the protests held in Melbourne that kicked off at the CFMEU headquarters.

Setka said there were “dozens” of cases among the CFMEU membership, with some “seriously unwell”, and that he strongly suspected the cluster was linked to the protests:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08e3ec64c3a3d6

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

My GF's boss was well known for spouting 'death before vaccine' but as soon as it became clear she'd need them to go on her regular comfort trips to Italy, up rolled those stupid fat old idiot sleeves

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
I have an uncle who's been anti-Dandrews, anti-China and anti-vax since mid-2020 has now had his first dose because his customers (he's a tradesman) are requesting all of their suppliers be vaccinated before coming on site.

Vaccination will get normalised over the next few months as simply another requirement of doing business, going to venues, etc.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/alexhart7/status/1445522599040020488

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gladys is sus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

EoinCannon posted:

My wife works in an vaccine mandated industry, they had an all staff meeting explaining what that means and there were people crying. I make fun of anti vaxxers but it's still pretty sad :(

lol

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Only like 2 weeks to reach 80% of adults double vaxed but nah, that's too long apparently. 70% is only like 55% total population.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

EoinCannon posted:

The overwhelming research suggests kids have incredibly high protection against COVID, even without vaccines.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my dad is antivaxx now and the 8000-word sermons he drops on facebook have to be seen to be believed

transcribing yahoo news with the solemnity and verbiage of the king james bible

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

my dad is antivaxx now and the 8000-word sermons he drops on facebook have to be seen to be believed

Don't dangle the carrot and not share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EoinCannon posted:

If they were crying because they have a choice between vaccination and job.... well I dont have a single second of sympathy. And frankly I wouldn't want to work with them either.