Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The way I look at it I can take a month off work and have stainless 14ga custom laser cut and brake bent into the shapes needed and weld and bolt it all together and get more drawers for less monetary loss than a snapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

taqueso posted:

Rad. Can you show the insides of the Douglas aircraft box?

Frank Dillinger posted:

That Douglas box is so drat cool. Did it come with tools?

It came with a few. It's kinda a long story - After my Grandfather passed in 1997, my grandmother saw the way the wind was blowing with me and decided to give the box and its contents to me, instead of my older cousins who are 15 and 18 years older than me. If you look close at that picture you can see a pink sticker on the front of it - in pencil was written "this box and all its contents are property of lobsterboyx" - on subsiquent visits from my older cousins, half the sticker was torn off and some really nice stuff was removed from it. I paint them as monsters, but they aren't and our Grandfather was really special to all of us. What steams me the most about it is that neither of them are really in to this culture, and were more of keepsakes for them and I'm over here like "but I use this stuff.."

They took some really nice old well used Starret stuff, a killer old tap and die set, and some made in LA Plomb wrenches (later proto)

Last laugh is on them because I bought this house back, and now I have my grandfathers garage, and the tool box..

That photo was taken when I first got the house back and I was in the process of putting grandpa's garage back to how it was.

heres more details of it:

by '53 he was a foreman on the line for the DC passenger planes, he oversaw all the C-47's built during wartime

thats just some of the drawers with the cooler older stuff in them - all the bicycle stuff is my doing, but he did help me service my bikes before he passed.

here's my main stack today

this stack is right next to my bench and contains my most used tools

sadly they aren't old tools, but I do have some incomplete sets.

here's another top box I keep on the rack that has all my car specialty tools

plus I have 2 more of these one for knicknacks and one for my metric tools (who needs those... ) in a darker, less accessible spot

also while we're in here, here are some of my 40s craftsman "king seely:" power tools, bench grinder with a really cool deco stand that I think is a delta, and the drill press

and my band saw.

and my dewalt radial arm saw, aka the gut splitter that we've talked about before..

super compact yo...

here's my craftsman table saw

thanks for coming to my ted talk - im finna post this in my thread too..

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 7, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LobsterboyX posted:

super compact yo...

How would one overcome the logistics of powering it in the middle of the woods?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's why the saw is in the car, the generator took up all the room in the truck

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would buy several ICON branded tool chests at Hobo Freight before I even thought about the slightly excessive mark-up of Snap-on or similar. I got the $3,000 73" bottom chest compared to Snap-on $14,000. Hell I would have got the $1,400 US General branded one, but I don't like drawer latches.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Expensive tool boxes are just what mechanics compare like that scene with the business cards in American Psycho.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

That's why the saw is in the car, the generator took up all the room in the truck

Probably was in earlier articles. First ones started off with hauling a tractor in, installing a belt drive on one of its wheels to power a saw mill. That allowed for either building a windmill or a waterwheel for off grid power to build the cabin.

Imagine the freedom. Give the wife and kids a goodbye kiss, toss a 130 lb portable saw into your trunk and away you go to build the cabin of your dreams.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

um excuse me posted:

Wonder if anyone has taken apart the HF "red" box (it used to only be red, and come in 26 or 44 inch varieties) and upgraded the slides and whatever else makes a toolbox over 10k.

I think you'd be spending more in slides than on the chest.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any budget drill presses that’ll do low-ish RPM for metal, say 300? I see harbor freight has a couple that never seem to be in stock locally and there’s this porter cable at Lowe’s. I’d love to spend more like $300 though. Seems like most of the cheap ones minimum rpm are more like 600-700.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Wen tabletop press with adjustable RPM which does a good job. I've used a 2 inch hole saw on some mild steel with it and it did okay. Just gotta use lots of cutting fluid.

WEN 4208T 2.3-Amp 8-Inch 5-Speed Benchtop Drill Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZVT5JKC/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

powderific posted:

Are there any budget drill presses that’ll do low-ish RPM for metal, say 300? I see harbor freight has a couple that never seem to be in stock locally and there’s this porter cable at Lowe’s. I’d love to spend more like $300 though. Seems like most of the cheap ones minimum rpm are more like 600-700.

I can't see the price in your link, but I've got one of those at work and I can tell you that its a goddam good drill press for the money.
I think we paid between 4 and 500 Canuck bucks several years ago for it. Its been worth the money.

Took me 4 hours, but I got through a piece of 1 1/4" steel plate with a 2 3/4" hole saw with that poo poo.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Any vendor recommendations on a flight case (checked luggage) for field service in the US?

Just started a new job a few weeks ago and still need to order one. Would be for hard hat, fall arrest system, other PPE, and hand tools for electro-mechanical work on ASRS (automated storage and retrieval systems—think a crane that puts materials in and out of racks in a warehouse) and AGVs (automatic guided vehicles—think Roombas that move materials around warehouse) and associated conveyor style materials handling motion power poo poo

The other guys are all using PelicanAir 1615TRVL which seems OK but kind of a pain to drag around job sites. The availability is limited as well. The guys on my crew aren’t exactly high speed low drag FSTs so I’m wondering if there’s a better way

Klein 55473RTB seems pretty good

Klein 5185ORA seems cool too tho idk how it’d do on baggage claim. My personal carry-on is a spinner so a backpack style is appealing. Plus there’s a lot of climbing to this job

Anyone have any other vendor / product ideas I could look at?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm guessing that's either a 1903 or M1 carbine stock standing up on the left. How close am I?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eighty-four merc posted:

I get why you’d want something other than that Pelican — I do video stuff and travel to job sites quite a bit and wouldn’t want to drag that around — but those Klein things don’t look that much better to me. The roller weighs 32 lbs dry, which even with the bigger wheels is gonna be a pain, and the backpack just looks like a kindof janky backpack and I would not probably want to send that through a baggage carousel.

One option I do sometimes is bring a backpack + other bags ready for use inside a bigger unpadded pelican case and then unload them on site. This is a photo version that’s made to do that, but I just use my own bags in a bigger case.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone looking for hammers? Wilton has their 11109 B.A.S.H set on sale - but there's a better deal for $165 through Warehouse Deals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2TT1DM

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Does anyone have experience with compound miter saws that have the folding armature instead of the sliding rods?
Looking at a 12" Delta Cruzer, but I'm worried that it's a gimmick that isn't as robust as the rods are

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you might glean some info from the comments here:

https://toolguyd.com/delta-cruzer-sliding-miter-saws/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

Does anyone have experience with compound miter saws that have the folding armature instead of the sliding rods?
Looking at a 12" Delta Cruzer, but I'm worried that it's a gimmick that isn't as robust as the rods are

I hadn't seen that Delta design, but it looks similar to what Bosch did. If you're looking for something that can fit close to the wall like those saws do, check out Metabo's sliding miter, it has the rods in the front of the tool, so you can put it right up against the wall and get full stroke.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BigPaddy posted:

Expensive tool boxes are just what mechanics compare like that scene with the business cards in American Psycho.

it even has usb power delivery

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Dual axis elbowed arms are cool, and can certainly be more rigid and handle more weight, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Saws aren't heavy enough to need them. Their description suggests gimmick more than actual performance gains.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

The Door Frame posted:

I would play around with it in store if you can, but I can see it having the same issues as the Bosch saw.

I really like my Makita 10" compound mitre and the rods are adjustable. The big question is what you'll be doing with it because a compound saw will cost more and weigh more.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I would play around with it in store if you can, but I can see it having the same issues as the Bosch saw.

I really like my Makita 10" compound mitre and the rods are adjustable. The big question is what you'll be doing with it because a compound saw will cost more and weigh more.

Alternately, buy more of a tool than you need, because you may need it.

I bought that 12" Metabo sliding compound miter saw several months back to replace my standard 10" Craftsman compound miter. I thought it'd be way more than I'd ever need, yet today I was cutting some 11" wide x 2" thick hard rock maple and the Metabo was showing strain even doing it in 3 passes.

That begs the question of whether I "need" something even bigger, but you get to a point where you work with "enough."

What was I doing with them? Making live edge spalted maple tops for hall tables:

First one is about 36" finished length:

Second one is about 53" finished length:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 8, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What blade did you have in it? John Heitz on YouTube seems to use his quite a bit, but has noted blade choice is important.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

meatpimp posted:

Alternately, buy more of a tool than you need, because you may need it.

I'm on board with this idea as it's pretty much my philosophy, but again what's the intended usage? Are you going to be cutting a lot of 2x stock in a workshop? Or do you need something to lug around for shoe moulding?

I thought I was going to use the mitre saw a lot before I gutted our kitchen but it's sat in the shed for the most part. For one thing it's massive and unwieldy so I don't want to drag it across my backyard everytime. The other thing is that I've been able to use a cordless circular saw and portable tablesaw for almost all of my cutting needs. I think it'll be useful eventually once I have a shop space set up and move onto furniture.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

What blade did you have in it? John Heitz on YouTube seems to use his quite a bit, but has noted blade choice is important.

It's gotta be a Diablo blade, nothing else compares for me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

eighty-four merc posted:

Any vendor recommendations on a flight case (checked luggage) for field service in the US?

Just started a new job a few weeks ago and still need to order one. Would be for hard hat, fall arrest system, other PPE, and hand tools for electro-mechanical work on ASRS (automated storage and retrieval systems—think a crane that puts materials in and out of racks in a warehouse) and AGVs (automatic guided vehicles—think Roombas that move materials around warehouse) and associated conveyor style materials handling motion power poo poo

The other guys are all using PelicanAir 1615TRVL which seems OK but kind of a pain to drag around job sites. The availability is limited as well. The guys on my crew aren’t exactly high speed low drag FSTs so I’m wondering if there’s a better way

Klein 55473RTB seems pretty good

Klein 5185ORA seems cool too tho idk how it’d do on baggage claim. My personal carry-on is a spinner so a backpack style is appealing. Plus there’s a lot of climbing to this job

Pelican, Storm (owned by Pelican and has superior latches), or SKB. Everything else doesn't hold up. I ran a 1510 for a decade, and still have one with all my oceanographic tools for field service calls. It's been frozen on deck in Alaska and boiled in the deserts of Bahrain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StormDrain posted:

Hail Satan.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are the $17 hot knives on amazon going to be better than a $20 hot knife from Harbor Freight? My gut is to avoid HF because this is an electrical tool, but all it has to do is get hot so it seems like HF could figure that out? Just for cutting case foam.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

StormDrain posted:

I second this. I bought a Diablo 12” 80T for doing fine cuts on baseboard and quarter round and it’s life changing how clean it cuts. My cousin who was running the saw was also impressed and put one on her wish list then and there.

Irwin’s are good too but this thing is bi-metallic bullshit and sorcery of the first kind.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MomJeans420 posted:

Are the $17 hot knives on amazon going to be better than a $20 hot knife from Harbor Freight? My gut is to avoid HF because this is an electrical tool, but all it has to do is get hot so it seems like HF could figure that out? Just for cutting case foam.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's literally the same tool

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All else equal, I trust twenty dollars at Harbor Freight over seventeen dollars on Amazon.

They might both be poo poo, but at least Harbor Freight sources their own poo poo. Amazon will sell anything, no questions asked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the spyder posted:

Stock blade that has cut some LVT, so I'm not really attached to it, but it cut through the 8" x 8/4 maple fine, the extra 3" in width loaded it up.

StormDrain posted:

Yup, that'll be next cut.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

I've got a much more expensive one:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MGC3R8T/

It was $60 when I bought it. It's... Fine. The fan runs continuously when it's plugged in. I see that as a feature, because it means you won't accidentally leave it plugged in, but it's a bit annoying. I use it to cut closed cell polyethylene foam all the time, and it's holding up pretty well. The blades get caked with burnt plastic but they're easy enough to clean off in acetone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The harbor freight one is easier to warranty when it breaks in the middle of a time sensitive project.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
A lot of the stuff on Amazon feels like AliExpress stuff to me, and If I’m plugging it into mains power, I’d rather buy from HF than AE.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

um excuse me posted:

Dual axis elbowed arms are cool, and can certainly be more rigid and handle more weight, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Saws aren't heavy enough to need them. Their description suggests gimmick more than actual performance gains.

It's mostly because my workbench is too short to fit a conventional compound saw, but it definitely is a very niche product or just a weird gimmick

meatpimp posted:

I hadn't seen that Delta design, but it looks similar to what Bosch did. If you're looking for something that can fit close to the wall like those saws do, check out Metabo's sliding miter, it has the rods in the front of the tool, so you can put it right up against the wall and get full stroke.

The Metabo looks good, but ever since I talked to their rep at a trade show, I've been wary of their products. According to her, the light green Metabo is a cheaper, rebranded company they bought out to compete in the home market and the dark green is classic Metabo for professionals. I don't know if that's still the standard, but that green is kind of ambiguous to me...

BraveUlysses posted:

you might glean some info from the comments here:

https://toolguyd.com/delta-cruzer-sliding-miter-saws/

Good to hear that it's more rigid than it looks. I was suspicious of it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

um excuse me posted:

I think the use case is about how much room they take up, not weight. They fit closer to the wall than the sliding arm saws.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Unless you're using a dust collector the sawdust bag has stuck out more in every instance I know of

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

The Metabo looks good, but ever since I talked to their rep at a trade show, I've been wary of their products. According to her, the light green Metabo is a cheaper, rebranded company they bought out to compete in the home market and the dark green is classic Metabo for professionals. I don't know if that's still the standard, but that green is kind of ambiguous to me...
Metabo good, Metabo HPT bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

The Door Frame posted:

It's mostly because my workbench is too short to fit a conventional compound saw, but it definitely is a very niche product or just a weird gimmick

The Makita LS1019 is the one I have and you're able to fit it up against the wall (without the dust bag.) I do think the Bosch has better adjustment ergonomics but I was wary of all the comments about accuracy.