Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

If you wanna see school girls being horrible jerks, I'd recommend Asobi Asobase.

chiasaur11 posted:

If you want to see them tend bar instead, Hinamatsuri.

(Manga's better and more complete, but the anime is still pretty funny.)

I will give these two a watch since they look like they fit the request quite well.

Strange Quark posted:

What about Uramichi Oniisan from last season?

I think I watched the first 2 episodes of this then dropped it. Maybe Ill give it another go once Im done the other 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure I'd say it's dark comedy, but Chio's School Road is a solid watch similar to Asobi Asobase in that it's about schoolgirls being terrible people in hilarious ways.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

poo poo I want to watch asobe asobase thank you

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kater posted:

Read Senryu Shoujo as well while you're at it. Hilarious and amazing romcom about dirks trying to do romance and being super weirdos.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kater posted:

I was sold too and ten minutes in, they pulled the whole "obviously Japanese VA pretending to be an American" thing.

And then they completely subverted the trope. A good show.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Is there any shounen/battle manga that puts the focus on the whole team, rather than one or two specific characters? Alternatively something like suikoden where the main premise is the gathering of the team? The ensemble cast is often the best part of those series for me but most of the time they are left behind in the dust as the protagonist goes on to murder god.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece? Luffy is always the strongest but his crew play important roles throughout the story and there's always a strong dynamic between them all. Even the weakest members of the crew have their own utility that they use to great effect in ways you often don't expect.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looking to sports shounen might also be worth a shot if that counts for you. Haikyuu, for instance.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

My Hero Academia does it to the detriment to the series. Every minor character gets a backstory and character arc (although obviously a lot of them are very simple).

I'm not a fan of Fairy Tail due to some serious pacing issues, but I think that qualifies too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Is there any shounen/battle manga that puts the focus on the whole team, rather than one or two specific characters? Alternatively something like suikoden where the main premise is the gathering of the team? The ensemble cast is often the best part of those series for me but most of the time they are left behind in the dust as the protagonist goes on to murder god.

I think Soul Eater meets your criteria. There are 3 main pairs of 2, 2, and 3 partners, and they all get a decent amount of focus, as well as the villains and side characters.

Assassination Classroom is about a class of low grade students and delinquents being assigned the task of killing their new teacher, a monster who can move at Mach 20 and claims to have destroyed part of the moon. The Manga covers the students growth as both assassins and individuals.

As Ibblebibble said, plenty of sports series are good at the "gathering the team" element, as well as giving a lot of the core cast a fair share of screentime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Black Clover has a fair bit of it I guess? It never really clicked for me but there's a big cast and lots of them get time / dedicated eps etc.

More Seinen than Shonen but Run with the Wind is totally what you're talking about and worth a watch by anyone imo.

e: yeah World Trigger fits \/\/\/

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 22, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

World Trigger

it does have the more standard shonen introduction but the agency all the characters are a part of functions on a squad system and the conflicts they're getting into are like skirmishes between small armies or a small army vs a squad of enemies where cooperation is required to take down even a single one. they don't break the squad structure so despite differences in individual power, the teams are more about working with the strengths and weaknesses of each member. e.g. the MC squad has Mikumo as brains but lacking combat skill/endurance and Yuma who is unnaturally skilled and creative in combat but not at the level of being able/willing to guide the team's strategy. other team members complicate this further and you also get the other allied teams with their own unique compositions.

i feel like it does a good job at having enough material for a swath of the cast much wider than just the main trio, but it is working with a Suikoden-level cast so there are definitely those on the fringes that end up remembered more for "oh they're in x's team" or "oh right this is that [character trait] guy" than names. the fact that all those characters are able to be used does mean they're always rotating in and sometimes getting more material to flesh them out, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any anime or manga focused on the parents of shonen protagonists who do normal parent stuff while their children are off saving the universe. A "Parents of protagonists club" where parents hang out to justify why so many adolescents seem to live alone.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 22, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any anime or manga focused on the parents of shonen protagonists who do normal parent stuff while their children are off saving the universe. A "Parents of protagonists club" where parents hang out to justify why so many adolescents seem to live alone.

Saki K has this but only in small doses. Is hilarious when it's on though.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect
Paranoia Agent
End of Evangelion
Eva 18-26
Paprika

What I didn't like:
Perfect Blue (too on the nose)
Ergo Proxy (too long and involved in plot points)
Eva 01-17 (same as above)
HAL (just a twist)
Welcome to the NHK (read in another rec thread this was good vs Paranoia Agent. I didn't finish it, to be fair, but on like episode 12 or so two characters are screaming at each other "I LOVE YOU, I NEED YOU TO LIVE!!!" at the top of a cliff and there's like, waves crashing so that was enough)

I think I'm looking for light on plot, heavy on themes type stuff?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loopsheloop posted:

What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect
Paranoia Agent
End of Evangelion
Eva 18-26
Paprika

What I didn't like:
HAL (just a twist)
Welcome to the NHK (read in another rec thread this was good vs Paranoia Agent. I didn't finish it, to be fair, but on like episode 12 or so two characters are screaming at each other "I LOVE YOU, I NEED YOU TO LIVE!!!" at the top of a cliff and there's like, waves crashing so that was enough)

Mushi-shi is exactly what you want.

Requiem from the Darkness might suit you as well.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

loopsheloop posted:

What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect

Since you liked Lain, you could check out the other Abe anime Haibane Renmei. Also, for an anime movie that absolutely nails atmosphere and leans heavily towards personal interpretation, like Lain does, see if you can hunt down Angel's Egg.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'll second Mushishi, maybe also try Girls' Last Tour

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Saint Seiya gives everyone an equal spotlight and I think one of its crowning achievements is how it never lags while doing so until the very very end and definitely not in the original 80s show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In fact in the final arc the main character is stuck in ice at the lowest level of hell and does absolutely nothing!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

loopsheloop posted:

Will second Angel's Egg.

You might also enjoy the recently finished Sonny Boy as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect
Paranoia Agent
End of Evangelion
Eva 18-26
Paprika

What I didn't like:
HAL (just a twist)

The Hakkenden (1990 ova)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loopsheloop posted:

What I liked:
Lain, basically perfect
Paranoia Agent
End of Evangelion
Eva 18-26
Paprika

What I didn't like:
HAL (just a twist)

Mind Game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

This feels like a dumb rec because it's a property you've definitely already heard of but someone said One Piece so I feel like I'm justified in saying Jojo. The fights (at least from part 3 on) always tend to cycle between different members as the focus or the entire team collaborating to defeat the villain using their unique powers.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It’s been forever since I watched anime but I want to get back into it. I'm looking for some interesting action anime. I have a decent tolerance for trash, favorite series black lagoon, gits sac, full metal panic, and Gurren Lagan.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 24, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One Punch Man for something amusing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LionYeti posted:

It’s been forever since I watched anime but I want to get back into it. I'm looking for some interesting action anime. I have a decent tolerant for trash, favorite series black lagoon, gits sac, full metal panic, and Gurren Lagan.

Go watch Akudama Drive right the heck now! :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LionYeti posted:

It’s been forever since I watched anime but I want to get back into it. I'm looking for some interesting action anime. I have a decent tolerance for trash, favorite series black lagoon, gits sac, full metal panic, and Gurren Lagan.
Black Lagoon: Jormungand, Akudama Drive. Jormungand is an extremely similar black market/real world type setting, Akudama Drive is about a group of criminals on the run in a sci-fi setting, animation gets a little jank but there's some really well done fight scenes outside of those moments and the setting and plot is kind of interesting. Some good jokes too.

Gurren Lagann: Promare, it's a movie but it's got a lot of the same staff as GL and a similar vibe.

Ghost in the Shell: Psycho Pass, similar sci-fi cop stuff.

Full Metal Panic: Gundam Ironblooded Orphans? Decent mix of deadpan comedy/mecha action.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

Full Metal Panic: Gundam Ironblooded Orphans? Decent mix of deadpan comedy/mecha action.

I can take or leave the comedy in FMP, its more for the fun giant robot action.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, IBO has a good amount of the giant robot action then, so should still work. Like I said, the comedy it does have is very deadpan, not nearly as wacky as FMP gets (especially in fumoffu.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LionYeti posted:

I watched the first few seasons of My Hero Academia and that might be fun for you(can't speak for later seasons), it's set in a world where 99% of the population has superpowers. Has some missteps but it's also got some incredible action and goofy dumb stuff to go with it. If you like bombastic heroic figures, All Might will probably appeal to you. It's a japanese take on western cape comics, basically.

You may also enjoy SSSS Gridman.

Definitely One Punch Man, yeah.

I dunno if you've checked it out at all, but maybe give Attack on Titan a go if you're looking for action with a bit of eventual political intrigue.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Aldonoah Zero might work but I only remember some of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LionYeti posted:

I can take or leave the comedy in FMP, its more for the fun giant robot action.

Iron Blooded Orphans has pretty fun giant robot action, assuming you prefer brutal melee fights to lasers and high speed teleporting. It also, like FMP, has a protagonist who'll just shoot people if he's not in a robot.

(Which is handy, because about half the episode don't have any mech fights.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LionYeti posted:

If you want some good action definitely check out jujutsu kaisen, it's basically a big showpiece of cool anime fight scenes (much like one punch man)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking for some hot tips on stuff like Broken Blade or Knights & Magic. Mecha anime but with a setting that's not really sci-fi :wave:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

escaflowne is a classic one of those

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunbine shows for Tomino weirdness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neo ranga

magic knight rayearth, but that only really goes mecha anime right before the start of s2 and it's where it starts getting weaker

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 26, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Looking for some hot tips on stuff like Broken Blade or Knights & Magic. Mecha anime but with a setting that's not really sci-fi :wave:
granbelm is modern day and the mechs are entirely magic, gun x sword is a wild west setting with only a few sci-fi elements besides the mechs