Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

I figured $2500 was a bit of a budget stretch and the LS50W don't support rear speakers.

I was thinking of the Q-series, since you gave a list of $300-700 bookshelf speakers.

Also there are decent floorstanders in/near that budget too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

qirex posted:

That is a lot of money for some pretty small speakers. I guess there's a lot of DSP too but spending that much on a system where the individual pieces are utterly useless the instant one thing goes wrong is a gamble.

The closest thing I can come up with that would be much more of a full range experience would be a Sonos Amp [$699], a pair of good speakers [say, these, these or even these if you want to keep it Andrew Jones]and 2 Ikea Sonos for surrounds [$200 and also come in lamp and picture frame options]. If you shop carefully you could even also get a subwoofer and still be around the same price as that Sony system on its own. The compatible Sony subs look pretty wack, $400-700 is proper big boy subwoofer territory.

Also, the X-Fi Experience™ is back, but with AI now!

This is super helpful, gives me a starting point to research. The appeal on the Sony system was not having to run speaker wires.

I’ll post a picture of the room, it’s not too unique but I’m not sure how to position speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was thinking of the Q-series, since you gave a list of $300-700 bookshelf speakers.

Also there are decent floorstanders in/near that budget too

There are dozens, if not hundreds of good bookshelf speakers under a grand, I was just mentioning some I'd heard good things about lately and are not on permanent backorder.

savesthedayrocks posted:

This is super helpful, gives me a starting point to research. The appeal on the Sony system was not having to run speaker wires.

I’ll post a picture of the room, it’s not too unique but I’m not sure how to position speakers.
I get the appeal of that Sony system, they even show it without the rears in matching positions. It's just a lot of money for one specific feature that might not even work for you.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 30, 2021

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I need some help with preamps. I just got a record player that I want to run through my Denon avr, using that as a preamp. The turntable has a built-in preamp as well. My understanding is that if I’m going to use the Denon as the preamp then I need to connect the grounding cable, but if I’m going to use the turntable preamp then I can use any rca cable. My problem is that the included grounded cable is too short for where I want to put the turntable. I have a regular rca cable that’ll reach, but I can also buy a longer grounded cable if that’s better. I guess what I’m asking is if I should use the avr as a preamp or if the built-in one will be fine?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What model turntable is it? Unless it’s atrociously bad the internal preamps on both the table and AVR are probably similar

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The turntable is a Fluance RT81 and my avr is a Denon s750h.

Edit: problem solved, I went to a hifi store and the guy I talked to said I can just run pretty much any wire as a ground wire and use my longer rca cable. He recommended using the avr as a preamp.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
If anyone is looking for Atmos speaker system, Klipsch's set is on sale at Costco for $750. Which is quite the discount from the MSRP listed on their site. It makes me think these are hot garbage.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah that’s probably crappy. Reference premier is their good line.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I've inherited a Polk Audio Omni SB1 Plus soundbar sans subwoofer. However, it was a wired subwoofer and the subwoofer out looks like an aux connection. If I have a mismatched subwoofer with RCA in, can I buy an aux to RCA cable and use the mismatched subwoofer with the soundbar?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Should be fine but make sure it's amped and has an adjustable lpf

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm moving to a new place and need to buy a new set of speakers for my home theater. Running a Denon s650 receiver and want a solid 5.1/2 setup for movies, but I listen to a poo poo ton of music so that's important to me as well.

Is there a best place I should be looking in Canada to buy speakers? I truly don't know what I'm doing, don't want to break the bank, but want to get something I'll be happy with.

Should I be searching around for a used set of towers on Kijiji? Are there some brands/models I should search out that will give me good bang for my buck? Coming from a set of 5.1 monoprice elite speakers which are staying with the old house

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I'm moving to a new place and need to buy a new set of speakers for my home theater. Running a Denon s650 receiver and want a solid 5.1/2 setup for movies, but I listen to a poo poo ton of music so that's important to me as well.

Is there a best place I should be looking in Canada to buy speakers? I truly don't know what I'm doing, don't want to break the bank, but want to get something I'll be happy with.

Should I be searching around for a used set of towers on Kijiji? Are there some brands/models I should search out that will give me good bang for my buck? Coming from a set of 5.1 monoprice elite speakers which are staying with the old house

what’s your budget?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s your budget?

Probably looking at around $1k cad, but I honestly dont about where that lands me on the curve of lovely audio to crackpot audiophile to know what's reasonable.

I'm not in a rush so happy to hunt for deals, happy to take my time and build it piece by piece as well

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Probably looking at around $1k cad, but I honestly dont about where that lands me on the curve of lovely audio to crackpot audiophile to know what's reasonable.

I'm not in a rush so happy to hunt for deals, happy to take my time and build it piece by piece as well

If you’re kitting out a full 5.1.2 system of brand new gear with $1k CAD that lands you more on the budget side of things than crackpot side, I’m afraid.

Seven speakers, a sub, and a receiver all-in for $1k CAD is doable but it’d be much much better and easier if you could extend your budget to $1500 or even $2k. A decent ATMOS receiver (and I don’t mean something fancy, I mean a Yamaha from COSTCO) is going to run you like $300-$800 CAD just on its own.

Edit: reread your post. You already have a receiver. Ok $1000 Canadian for 5.1.2 still isn’t the greatest budget. You’re pretty much exclusively limited to the bottom of everybody’s product stack, and that’s assuming that you really cheap out on the subwoofer. Assuming you spent $100/speaker, $200/pair, give or take (you’d probably want to spend more on the front trio and less on surrounds and height channels) you’d still have about $300 left over for a sub.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 25, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re kitting out a full 5.1.2 system of brand new gear with $1k CAD that lands you more on the budget side of things than crackpot side, I’m afraid.

Seven speakers, a sub, and a receiver all-in for $1k CAD is doable but it’d be much much better and easier if you could extend your budget to $1500 or even $2k. A decent ATMOS receiver (and I don’t mean something fancy, I mean a Yamaha from COSTCO) is going to run you like $300-$800 CAD just on its own.

Edit: reread your post. You already have a receiver. Ok $1000 Canadian for 5.1.2 still isn’t the greatest budget. You’re pretty much exclusively limited to the bottom of everybody’s product stack, and that’s assuming that you really cheap out on the subwoofer. Assuming you spent $100/speaker, $200/pair, give or take (you’d probably want to spend more on the front trio and less on surrounds and height channels) you’d still have about $300 left over for a sub.

I think you misread what they posted. They are looking for 5.1 or 5.2, not an atmos set up.

e:

w00tmonger posted:

You might be able to find some tower speakers for a steal on kijiji. I think they are cheaper to get 2nd hand since they are so loving big that people can't really sell them online as easily as the shipping fees will be huge. Otherwise just look for bookshelf speakers.

For buying them new, you don't really have that many options in Canada, especially at that budget. Amazon.ca is probably your best bet, or seeing if the retailer sells direct like Fluance, Edifier and JBL do.

I'd just grab this Jamos s803 set and this BIC America F12 sub. Comes in under budget which leaves you some to buy things like speaker wire(16 gauge is probably enough), an RCA cable to hook up your sub and wirecutters if you need them.
I heard that the Sony SSCS5 speakers(get the matching center) and Dayton Audio Sub-1200 are also good.

Someone will definitely have a better suggestion than mine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 25, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for the tips, I'll dig around. Yeah looking at a 5.1 or 5.2 setup.

I can. Sink more than $1k into it, but moving means I have a couple other priorities as well so I'm trying to to go too hard right away. I'll see if I can sneak some sale together or go second hand on some towers to start out at least

Looking around online if I'm buying new I'm probably looking at 2-300 a speaker, but I can 100% do better on Kijiji or some closeout sale

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 25, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Building a system over time can work better. Maybe just start with a good pair of stereo speakers and go from there. I wouldn't be too concerned about matching speakers but I also wouldn't cheap out on a center channel if you're going to use one, it's the most important speaker for surround content by far. I would say you could get good 5.0 for a grand but unless you get a screaming deal on a good sub 5.1 is probably pushing it.

There's a lot of good Canadian speaker brands like Paradigm, PSB, Axiom or Totem you might be able to get a good deal on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

There's a lot of good Canadian speaker brands like Paradigm, PSB, Axiom or Totem you might be able to get a good deal on.

All these guys will have big sales in a month

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

All these guys will have big sales in a month

whats the place to look? bestbuy?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

Probably on their own websites or maybe amazon.ca

Not sure if Bestbuy stocks any of those brands.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

probably not Best Buy

Does Crutchfield sell in Canada?

A lot of these places (PSB, Fluance, etc) have their own stores on their websites. And they often also list partner dealers in various places. Never hurts to email Canadian (or other) manufacturers and ask about dealers in your area.

I know there are big specialty audio retailers in Canada, I’m just not super familiar being in the US myself.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I would absolutely look around for used setups, HT people love to upgrade when they don't have to. Check canuckaudiomart, you might need to take some time to put something together from some individual purchases but it's nice to avoid the depreciation and the tax. If you absolutely want new, Elac debut 2.0 series are nice, you could get the 5.0 setup using bookshelves as fronts and rears for about $900 canadian and keep an eye out for a sub later on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The Denon AVR-S760H popped into existence out of nowhere last month and seems to be the moderately priced HDMI 2.1-compatible receiver I've been looking for.

The one thing that sticks out to me on the spec sheet is that it outputs 75W per channel compared to 100W from my current Sony STR-DN1040. My instinct is that shouldn't matter because I never go anywhere near max volume. Are there other considerations with wattage?

Or any obvious pitfalls I'm overlooking?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It won't matter. Most speakers can do ~90+ dB off 1 watt. Volume is logarithmic, so to go 10dB louder, you need 10x the power.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Thoom posted:

The Denon AVR-S760H popped into existence out of nowhere last month and seems to be the moderately priced HDMI 2.1-compatible receiver I've been looking for.

The one thing that sticks out to me on the spec sheet is that it outputs 75W per channel compared to 100W from my current Sony STR-DN1040. My instinct is that shouldn't matter because I never go anywhere near max volume. Are there other considerations with wattage?

Or any obvious pitfalls I'm overlooking?

If you take a look at the back of the Sony and the back of the Denon you'll see the actual UL/CSA writing by the power cable shows the Sony will top out pulling 240W from the wall and the Denon is 400W. Regardless of the Sony's alleged ability to pump 100W into one channel it doesn't have the power supply to actually do it for any length of time across more than one channel. Looks like the Denon is a little more stout.

Did a little more poking around, the Sony lists that 100W per channel into a 6 ohm load, two channels driven with 0.09% THD, the Denon lists 75W per channel into an 8 ohm load at 0.08%THD. They're very very very close in output with the Denon having more reserves from a better power supply by the looks of things. If anything you'll see improvements.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Nice! It will be great to finally have a receiver that doesn't force me to use headphones with my PS5.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Based on the model # I'd wager it's the successor to the 750 which is/was widely recommended

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah as far as people can tell these new Denons work correctly up to 4k120 [with a caveat that PCs and receivers have never been friends]. This is nice because apparently Onkyo's supply is all stuck on parked container ships off of Long Beach.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

I would absolutely look around for used setups, HT people love to upgrade when they don't have to.
What are some good sites for U.S.-based sellers? My local CL has nothing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I do all my selling on USAudioMart. It’s free for non-commercial sellers, so you tend to find a lot.

You can also use HifiShark to search every other site.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I hope this is the right thread for this question. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for a universal remote? The remote for my Samsung TV is going and would like to get something to control the TV and Denon receiver. A harmony remote probably would've been perfect but they've been discontinued.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Set up the Denon S760H yesterday and it does exactly what I need it to do so far for less than I was expecting to spend a few months ago, so that's all great. In particular, compared to my old Sony DN-1040, it boots up much faster so the TV has fewer opportunities to get confused and try to reroute audio through its own speakers.

An interesting thing I've noticed is whenever I set up new audio equipment (new speakers, new receiver, etc), it sounds super weird for the first 30 minutes or so until my ears get used to it, and then it (subjectively) sounds the same as it's always sounded.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Kind of stupid question: If I have a 4K TV would it be possible to use it with an old AV receiver (NAD Viso 5) that I have no plans to use for video since it only supports 1080i?

Basically, all of my modern devices hooks up directly to the TV but the sound (including Netflix, etc. on the smart TV) will be outputted to the receiver which is powering up my speakers?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run optical audio out from my TV to my (prehistoric) Pioneer 5.1 receiver, it works great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Keep in mind that the highest quality formats that S/PDIF (whether coax or optical) can carry are uncompressed stereo and DTS surround. If you want to use the fancy new sound formats that generally accompany 4K content, you'll need a newer receiver with HDMI ARC/eARC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If it's this unit, then it doesn't look like it supports lossless streams like the DTS-HD MA or Dobly TrueHD. So nothing is lost by going with S/PDIF.

https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Data-Sheet-VISO-FIVE-DVD-CD-Surround-Sound-Receiver.pdf

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Keep in mind that the highest quality formats that S/PDIF (whether coax or optical) can carry are uncompressed stereo and DTS surround. If you want to use the fancy new sound formats that generally accompany 4K content, you'll need a newer receiver with HDMI ARC/eARC.

Only eARC. Regular ARC is exactly the same as S/PDIF.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Only eARC. Regular ARC is exactly the same as S/PDIF.

Huh, I learned something today. I'm a two channel person and admittedly know much less about home theatre stuff. I just assumed ARC would at least do uncompressed 5.1.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to upgrade to a receiver that supports 2.1 gaming features, are Denons still the best entry level brand for this? Been a bit since I shipped for receivers so I'm not sure they still are. I'm eyeing the X1700H specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to a receiver that supports 2.1 gaming features, are Denons still the best entry level brand for this? Been a bit since I shipped for receivers so I'm not sure they still are. I'm eyeing the X1700H specifically.

Some Denons are, specifically the lower end ones [the X1700 is the best one with 3 working 2.1 ports]. The X1600 was a really good receiver so it's probably a safe choice. 2021 Onkyos too but they have basically no inventory for the rest of the year. Yamaha now has 2 lines of receivers that are almost a year old with every advanced feature "coming with an update" which means it will probably suck.