Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A Buttery Pastry posted:

By virtue of the US being a continuation of a British colony, all Americans should be repatriated to Britain. Possibly Floridians and the citizens of former Mexican territories might be allowed to go to Spain instead.

Americans begin spontaneously manifesting bullets and guns if forced into subjugation by a crown. Some weird genetic quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

Americans begin spontaneously manifesting bullets and guns if forced into subjugation by a crown. Some weird genetic quirk.

i know it feels that way but another spree shooting at a burger king doesn't count

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CoolCab posted:

you might well think that, i couldn't possibly comment

your cowardice is disgusting, we have a :d2a: emoji for a reason

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

your cowardice is disgusting, we have a :d2a: emoji for a reason

are you...asking me to tell you to kill yourself? you're a phenomenally strange person sometimes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolCab posted:

are you...asking me to tell you to kill yourself? you're a phenomenally strange person sometimes

Death to America doesn't necessarily mean death to people who are currently American.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

you can just say get in the sea

I mean I was thinking it, but I wasn't going to.

But if you insist.

Edit: a bit late but here it is https://youtu.be/1Rx_p3NW7gQ

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Oct 25, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CoolCab posted:

i know it feels that way but another spree shooting at a burger king doesn't count

lol
(also burger king is now canadian, they did one of those corporate inversions with tim horton's)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

broken britain

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

CoolCab posted:

I did a half second chuckle at a CoolCab post and his five daily pages of rage posting at no one in particular are all worth it now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
je vomis sur tous ces gens qui disent tout d'un coup qu'ils sont nos amis

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol
(also burger king is now canadian, they did one of those corporate inversions with tim horton's)

King Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of this Realm and of His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Burgers, Flamegrilled and Had Your Own Way

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

(I know most everyone itt has read Dulce Et Decorum Est, but it's always well worth reading again whenever Poppy Season comes about)

(I'd also post In Flanders Fields, but it's really not as good lmao, and it doesn't get over the fact that the First World War was one massive loving atrocity to the same extent as Dulce Et Decorum Est)

anyway, have some This Heat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu2T1JJTN1U

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the polava after captain tom is basically this countries yearning to finally get on with the pantomime of the death of elizabeth, if it combines with poppy day my god are we going to see scenes

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Whose ever heard of bad things happening in Britain when there's a Charles on the throne?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nah, i diagnose it entirely as mostly baby boomer guilt and panic. capt tom only really took off when the nursing homes were being scythed through and huge number of people's parent or parents died. there was this very very brief ripple of genuine collective grief and guilt at what was happening as well as panic that the nhs was going to fail and they might die. they en mass latched on to a proxy for their parents and for the incredible gifts and legacy they left them. people generally could then focus on something positive and allay their anxieties - the nhs wasn't going to fail look at how many millions are raised, blitz spirit, so on and so on and of course the state broadcaster and state took it and sprinted with it.

i can remember on his birthday there were two concurrent bbc news live blogs on the front page, a feature that the bbc usually reserved for breaking and evolving stories, so celeb deaths and disasters. the one dedicated to captain tom's birthday and it was like news on him getting military flybys and meeting alan partridge and poo poo like that was bigger than the one dedicated to the covid pandemic which read "thousands more dead"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Grape posted:

Whose ever heard of bad things happening in Britain when there's a Charles on the throne?

lol true story i had to go look up the stupid title but also how many charles there had been and i was like bullshit there's only two ohhhhh riiiiight

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh god if Liz pops it just in time for Poppy day week month we'll see some peak loving ARE BRITANE. Entire cursed isle imploding in on itself.

Also kinda sad I moved too far away from the village I was formally living at in order to peek in on what poppy related madness they've cooked up this year. Last year they covered a bunch of road signs in big ugly rear end poppy decorations and got into a shouting match with the local authority for obscuring speed limit signs et al. Was quite fun to pop around to the corner shops and get stuck behind a walking corpse winding themselves up into a frenzy over their right to cause traffic accidents FER ARE LADS.

SteelMentor has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Oct 26, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A Buttery Pastry posted:

By virtue of the US being a continuation of a British colony, all Americans should be repatriated to Britain. Possibly Floridians and the citizens of former Mexican territories might be allowed to go to Spain instead.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Not true, I rescheduled my vacation

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cannot be understated how loving weird this goddamned accursed pit got in the first wave.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm just glad that loving clapping stopped. at the time I lived on a street of flats and it was the absolute worst

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nonsense posted:

broken britain

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

As an American I don't know about the rest of England but gooners seem like they're cool people.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gonadic io posted:

I'm just glad that loving clapping stopped. at the time I lived on a street of flats and it was the absolute worst

it was howling here in colorado...all the lamest people in your neighborhood sticking their faces outdoors at 6pm to "help"...never lived around so many other white people before it's so terrible

i am harry has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Oct 26, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

oh god the howling, don't remind me

the other thing the white people do when their density gets too high is to make their own street signs. No matter what the speed limit or street design is it's not good enough, so they build a bunch more signs telling people to slow down or buy their own traffic cones to place in the middle of the road to try and force people to drive slower

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

in any other country the clapping in support of their health service would be endearing

not in this poo poo hole where not even 6 months prior the same pricks voted for the party with full intention to sell it to the yanks

Nice of the nurses to ask for a pay rise that soon got them to stop clapping

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
wait is rememberance day not a bank holiday? are there not deals at the shops? this island is bullshit.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

CoolCab posted:

cannot be understated how loving weird this goddamned accursed pit got in the first wave.

I'm the top row of flags being flown upside-down.

There's an impressive number of right-wing patriots on twitter with Union Jack avatars who are unaware that the flag isn't symmetrical.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

forkboy84 posted:

So yes & no. The people who do the poppy, the British Legion, do actually do a lot of good work with helping people (well, specifically British ex-forces, gently caress them Iraqi civilians) traumatised in war physically & mentally. I remember as a kid, & we're only going back 25 years, it seemed a good cause: a lot of soldiers do get forgotten about, especially the ones who end up damaged in some way by the conflict, & more than that a lot of them were obviously conscripts.

Always important to note that the Legion is a charity, because of course it's too much to ask for people who've signed up to fight in our wars to be put back together afterwards using government money. How else would we afford to have more pointless wars?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There's an impressive number of right-wing patriots on twitter with Union Jack avatars who are unaware that the flag isn't symmetrical.

Being aware of things and understanding concepts don't happen for right wingers.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the flag being subtly asymmetric is yet another reason to destroy the uk

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

man, that bbc article. someone up top has decided gently caress the human cost, let's further entrench trans acceptance as the concern troll liberal wedge subject for the next 15 years. awesome.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

OOOOOOoOOOOooo

Someone got their cub scout badges eh?

But please explain

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

bitmap posted:

man, that bbc article. someone up top has decided gently caress the human cost, let's further entrench trans acceptance as the concern troll liberal wedge subject for the next 15 years. awesome.

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1452945547086729216

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

OOOOOOoOOOOooo

Someone got their cub scout badges eh?

But please explain

I grew up in a very loyalist part of Northern Ireland. Spotting upside-down flags every July was a game we played on car journeys.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
It's only been a few days but:

Again, only the Mirror is reporting on this.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-sea-creatures-wash-up-25298945

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
YouTube just killed Novara Media. I'm sure our lovely lib commentariat will be horrified by this attack on free speech

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Probably algae blooms somewhere, planet is dying fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Valko posted:

It's only been a few days but:

Again, only the Mirror is reporting on this.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-sea-creatures-wash-up-25298945

im sure its nothing

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

YouTube just killed Novara Media. I'm sure our lovely lib commentariat will be horrified by this attack on free speech

im sure its a mistake