Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Zucc needs to chill a little when it comes to scraping my data from other apps. I literally read this page, closed awful app and opened FB, and the 2nd thing that pops up is an ad for Brancalonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Hostile V posted:

Or you could take, uh, Warlock! and marry it to Barcalonia's setting if you wanted an OSR agnostic setting take on Warhammer.

Have you played Warlock? The default skill levels vs difficulties makes it look like it'd be whiff city, and it doesn't have WHFRPG plentiful percentile bonus hunting to fall back on. Is it just a case where characters fail all the time, or have I missed something?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

LaSquida posted:

Have you played Warlock? The default skill levels vs difficulties makes it look like it'd be whiff city, and it doesn't have WHFRPG plentiful percentile bonus hunting to fall back on. Is it just a case where characters fail all the time, or have I missed something?
No I just have a copy of it and it's up in my brain where all of the stuff I've read but never run lives. The basic resolution doesn't look super bad; it is at least weighted so that 2 skills your occupation makes you alright at is a 55% (resolution being 1d20+skill level equal to or greater than 20 is a success and then opposed is just 1d20+skill highest wins) because those start at a 10 and 3 skills you're good at is 12 for a 65% success and then everything else is at least a 6, 5 or 4. So you start off with 5 skills that are either 55% mechanically or better and the rest are 25-35% which is pretty in-line with how Warhammer works (minus the situational bonuses), and you are going to have some problems outside of your wheelhouse but your odds are quite good for stuff you're supposed to be good at, plus most occupations include at least 1 combat skill.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe Arivia is wrong to compare it to PF1E. It sounds like it's rooted in a very different motivation. PF1E was a backlash against 4E's attempt to iterate a better version of 3E. The ENWorld stuff sounds more like it's an attempt to iterate a better version of 5E. Every version of D&D is either Official D&D or a hack thereof. Play the one that satisfies you the most or make a version of one that satisfies you the most. It sounds like the ENWorld version is an attempt at the latter.

I was making the comparison in terms of rules changes, not commercial motivation (ENWorld has a long history of producing 5e content, but hasn't had Wizards toss poo poo in their face like happened to Paizo). PF1E doesn't have a lot of things that make you want to play it if 3.5 is a game you already were tired of/hated, but it has a lot of nice fixes if you already enjoyed 3.5 and wanted to keep playing that. That's what I think Level Up is going for - good core changes to make the overall game experience better without breaking compatibility. It's not going to get you to play 5e if you already didn't like 5e, but it will be a great asset if you want to play more 5e.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 24, 2021

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm taking another shot at making a Legacy/escape room game. Already got a prototype for the first segment of it and the baseline mechanics.

The overall idea is we start with a dirt simple game, something maybe a level or two above candy land and through progress and solving the games riddles, more and more mechanics are added to the game.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

I was making the comparison in terms of rules changes, not commercial motivation (ENWorld has a long history of producing 5e content, but hasn't had Wizards toss poo poo in their face like happened to Paizo). PF1E doesn't have a lot of things that make you want to play it if 3.5 is a game you already were tired of/hated, but it has a lot of nice fixes if you already enjoyed 3.5 and wanted to keep playing that. That's what I think Level Up is going for - good core changes to make the overall game experience better without breaking compatibility. It's not going to get you to play 5e if you already didn't like 5e, but it will be a great asset if you want to play more 5e.

Oh yeah, I got you, and I think the comparison makes sense the way you meant it. I mean more that maybe it was a poor choice rhetorically to compare it to PF1E.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hyphz posted:

Does anyone know anything definite about Morrus’ attempt to upgrade 5e?

There's a reason it's called Level Up. It's targeted at people who've played a lot of 5e, think 5e is an excellent game, and have mastered the mechanics to the point they wish there was more out there. Or who accept that 3.X was flawed with linear fighter quadratic wizard but want something with more complexity than 5e. If all you like is 5e and possibly 3.X I can see the appeal - and it's certainly decent whalebait.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So I just noticed World Wide Wrestling 2nd Edition is officially out. Anyone picked it up? The first edition was good, but I'm curious if it's actually got rules revisions or is just a cleaned up presentation + baking in the addon. To be honest if they did a better job of explaining the rules and pitching the game, I'd scoop it up for that alone, even if nothing was iterated. It was a great game, but it felt kinda hard to read and parse for someone who wasn't already a fan of PbtA/familiar with how that sort of game works in practice and and familiar with wrestling and some of its jargon, even though I think the game had good cross over appeal for both.
My biggest complaint in actual gameplay shortcomings is it had a premise of "You're putting on a show and also dealing with the out of ring aspects" but then didn't really have good system interaction with out of the ring stuff despite some of the gimmicks and complications being based around out of ring drama.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/mcnees/status/998405698466828288?t=fKoKwi6CFufVxXXvBHWe_w&s=19

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Just....why?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr.Misfit posted:

Just....why?
Dragon used to publish a section of funny D&D articles and other material every April.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

Just....why?

Nerds never change.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Hell even through the 90's inquest would do "adapt these horror movie monsters for use in your RPG. Here's what the terminator's stat block would look like in d&d 3e. Here's a xenomorph in VtM"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Hell even through the 90's inquest would do "adapt these horror movie monsters for use in your RPG. Here's what the terminator's stat block would look like in d&d 3e. Here's a xenomorph in VtM"

Our version of the Dragon magazine did this poo poo a lot (i think their web mag still does) for flavor of the month anime/videogame/movie stuff

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i once started statting up StarCraft: Brood War units in 3.5, and honestly, the only thing i regret about it is the "3.5" part

today i'd probably do it in Fragged Empire instead

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Is this really that surprising in an era where the most popular youtube D&D content (setting aside Crit Role) is just a bunch of "How to play RICK SANCHEZ in D&D" type poo poo?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

theironjef posted:

Is this really that surprising in an era where the most popular youtube D&D content (setting aside Crit Role) is just a bunch of "How to play RICK SANCHEZ in D&D" type poo poo?

You can totally do this with the Spheres of Power & Might books. But basic 5e? Nah man, this ain't it.

Hmmm, methinks there's an opening for this kind of content... :thunk:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
rick sanchez is obviously a Mage character, not a D&D character. although intriguingly I think either version of Mage works

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
there was literally a comic book about Rick and Morty playing D&D, followed by a Rick and Morty splat/licensed 5e game tho why would someone need a youtube channel to put that together?
It would be like making a youtube video about how you could make Ravinica a 5e setting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The only thing that's surprising is that they were unafraid of getting sued.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Coolness Averted posted:

there was literally a comic book about Rick and Morty playing D&D, followed by a Rick and Morty splat/licensed 5e game tho why would someone need a youtube channel to put that together?
It would be like making a youtube video about how you could make Ravinica a 5e setting.

There are SO many of those. Rick is just an example. You want Megaman X? Nightcrawler? Rikku from FF 10? Neo? Overwatch characters? MLP? There's a huge ecosystem of paltry how to guides for pop culture stuff on youtube.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

theironjef posted:

There are SO many of those. Rick is just an example. You want Megaman X? Nightcrawler? Rikku from FF 10? Neo? Overwatch characters? MLP? There's a huge ecosystem of paltry how to guides for pop culture stuff on youtube.

And it's always the current edition of d&d isn't it? Never here's how to make a MLP fiasco playset or reskinning Futurama to fit Rogue Trader

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Just wait until my Seinfeld BitD hack is released.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
gotta finish the pitch meeting for our new sitcom before the clock for "Jerry's girlfriend graduates high school" is filled

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Jerk Store: use a flashback to set up a wounding insult on an adversary for no stress cost

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I could see a sitcom-style Forged in the Dark hack working. The "score" is the PCs dealing with a problem or trying to accomplish a mundane task (getting gifts for a dinner party, forgetting where you parked in a parking garage, celebrating Festivus), the score's detail describes how it starts going wrong, the engagement roll decides how bad it is, Heat represents rising drama/tension in their lives (which must eventually be released by the PCs fulfilling life obligations like work/maintaining friendships), indulging your vice is unchanged. :eng101:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Lvl 2 harm: shrinkage

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i once started statting up StarCraft: Brood War units in 3.5, and honestly, the only thing i regret about it is the "3.5" part

today i'd probably do it in Fragged Empire instead

I did this in GURPS and maintain to this day that it would work well for a Starcraft campaign that stuck to the feel of Brood War rather than whatever the hell Starcraft 2 was. Now where did I keep that design document...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ettin posted:

I could see a sitcom-style Forged in the Dark hack working. The "score" is the PCs dealing with a problem or trying to accomplish a mundane task (getting gifts for a dinner party, forgetting where you parked in a parking garage, celebrating Festivus), the score's detail describes how it starts going wrong, the engagement roll decides how bad it is, Heat represents rising drama/tension in their lives (which must eventually be released by the PCs fulfilling life obligations like work/maintaining friendships), indulging your vice is unchanged. :eng101:

Legit works. As much as the skin of BITD is Dishonored and Thief, the game really owes its structure to Leverage so any highly episodic genre with an ensemble cast will work. CSI would be great, for example.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Tulip posted:

CSI would be great, for example.

I see you're in the market for my forensic entomologist ruleset, Bugs in the Dead

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Die Kickstarter is delayed because of paper shortages and supply chain stuff:
https://rowanrookanddecard.com/were-delaying-the-die-rpg-kickstarter/

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

C... posted:

I see you're in the market for my forensic entomologist ruleset, Bugs in the Dead

Boomers in the DVR

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I was watching an AJ Pickett video recently about the Verdan, who are apparently friendly green goblinoids, but that’s not important. What’s important was that he referred to a scribe at Candlekeep as "looking like a human but not being one", and being a "dire hin". Yeah, so a double-sized halfling. I of course have to learn their lore now. Googling them has not been helpful, and I’m not sure dire hin wasn’t just a joke he was making. If anybody knows of any official lore about halflings of unusual size, either on Toril or any other D&D world from the past half century, I’m eager to hear it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I was watching an AJ Pickett video recently about the Verdan, who are apparently friendly green goblinoids, but that’s not important. What’s important was that he referred to a scribe at Candlekeep as "looking like a human but not being one", and being a "dire hin". Yeah, so a double-sized halfling. I of course have to learn their lore now. Googling them has not been helpful, and I’m not sure dire hin wasn’t just a joke he was making. If anybody knows of any official lore about halflings of unusual size, either on Toril or any other D&D world from the past half century, I’m eager to hear it.

That is a pretty funny concept, just some slightly short pleasant folk with hairy feet with the twist that they're not human they're dire halflings.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

There are human-kender crossbreeds in Dragonlance (Krynn).

I checked every source about FR halflings and Candlekeep scribes I could think of (including the Candlekeep website) and came up with nothing about a secret "dire hin" (zero results for that phrase in anything, actually) or anything like it. There is a mention of a Candlekeep NPC that's an otter but used to be a halfling in MT Black's expansions to Descent to Avernus in Elminster's Candlekeep Compendium, that's the closest thing I found.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Arivia posted:

There are human-kender crossbreeds in Dragonlance (Krynn).

I checked every source about FR halflings and Candlekeep scribes I could think of (including the Candlekeep website) and came up with nothing about a secret "dire hin" (zero results for that phrase in anything, actually) or anything like it. There is a mention of a Candlekeep NPC that's an otter but used to be a halfling in MT Black's expansions to Descent to Avernus in Elminster's Candlekeep Compendium, that's the closest thing I found.

Yeah like I said googling was not helpful. I figure if they were ever mentioned it was probably in a magazine column from 1986 or something. I would assume that mechanically they’d just be humans that have to eat twice as much as normal to maintain their weight and that can’t wear boots that aren’t custom made. Here’s the video where they’re briefly mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyyTwMdvVI

Edit: apparently the Verdan are from Acquisitions Incorporated, so it just being a joke is looking likely.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coolness Averted posted:

That is a pretty funny concept, just some slightly short pleasant folk with hairy feet with the twist that they're not human they're dire halflings.

Hardcore Halfling.

A joke in the r/relationships thread comparing the strict roles of Asian boy bands to a D&D class system has made me wonder how that'd work as an RPG, and I realise, shockingly well considering they inevitably end up driving across the country in a van/the universe in a spaceship solving mysteries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah like I said googling was not helpful. I figure if they were ever mentioned it was probably in a magazine column from 1986 or something. I would assume that mechanically they’d just be humans that have to eat twice as much as normal to maintain their weight and that can’t wear boots that aren’t custom made. Here’s the video where they’re briefly mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyyTwMdvVI

Edit: apparently the Verdan are from Acquisitions Incorporated, so it just being a joke is looking likely.

That's what I mean, as your resident old FR lore nerd I looked through stuff like a 1997 magazine article by Ed Greenwood and didn't find anything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arivia posted:

That's what I mean, as your resident old FR lore nerd I looked through stuff like a 1997 magazine article by Ed Greenwood and didn't find anything. it's true. Dire halflings are real and canon and in Candlekeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Arivia posted:

That's what I mean, as your resident old FR lore nerd I looked through stuff like a 1997 magazine article by Ed Greenwood and didn't find anything, except that on Toril dire halflings actually far outnumber both humans and halflings combined, also Ed Greenwood, like most Canadians, is a dire halfling.

Thanks for the heads up! I knew there was something off about his proportions.