Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Spirits Abyss has eaten up my last few days and I've got to pile on to that recommendation.

I have had some great times with A Robot Named Fight.

But another game that is just as good as both that hasn't been mentioned here in a while is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. For those who are not familiar, TVRUHH is a boss rush shmup roguelite. It's got a bevy of different boss fights, tons of items, plenty of unlockables, and most importantly, incredibly well-tuned variable difficulty. It manages to be fun and have an encouraging feel, as though there are always plenty of things you can accomplish, whether you are a shmup veteran or a total newbie. It's also got a very friendly Discord and an active and responsive dev.

The game is still in EA, but my impression is that it's nearing a final push before release. The main thing missing is parts of the story - but what already exists is compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Offhand Demon rec was more apt than guessed as apparently at some point late yesterday it had a Significant Update that allows for True Victory at last alongside a heap more better all: https://ferretdev.itch.io/demon

quote:

-The time has finally come: the Tower's final floor is open and awaits Summoners who have the determination to see their quest for power through to its conclusion!
-Seven new heroes and seven new unique demons await to challenge those who can reach them in the new endgame areas. Other new demons accompany them as well.
-Geminimax did a pass on his older character sprites, making significant improvements and updates to many of them. Thank you Geminimax!
-Ontoclasm provided new art for status effects to add to his UI icon set. Thank you Ontoclasm!
-A few other bug fixes and tweaks are also included.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The relationship stuff in DD2 absolutely needs some tweaking because it stops being interesting when everyone is going from loving to hating eachother to vice versa constantly - sometimes within the same fight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Broken Cog posted:

The wagon minigame kinda just feels like a gimmick tbh, not really sure it adds to the game.

It's the one aspect of the game that I think needs to totally go out the window lol. Really bizarre decision. I do like the general idea of the wagon trip though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The relationship stuff in DD2 absolutely needs some tweaking because it stops being interesting when everyone is going from loving to hating eachother to vice versa constantly - sometimes within the same fight.

just like real life. adds a lot of realism and verisimilitude

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

goferchan posted:

It's the one aspect of the game that I think needs to totally go out the window lol. Really bizarre decision. I do like the general idea of the wagon trip though.

Honestly feels like padding, so the map isn't exactly the same as in StS.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just make it automated and a little bit faster and it'd be fine I think.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any examples of a fairly traditional roguelike (turn based, overhead view, combat happens in same exploration map / non-modal) that had large (4+) controllable player parties with independent movement? So summons/pets like Mystery Dungeon style don't count

Transfinite Dungeon scratched this itch for me pretty well. As did the Alvora series even if it’s a little less roguelike then expected.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

grate deceiver posted:

How do i suck less at Enter the Gungeon

I have 20+ hours and can still only barely scrape by to chamber 2. Made it to 3 twice

Dodging is more important than shooting guns. I 100% the game and both expansions and learning to dodge is the key to success. The rest is learning enemy patterns especially bosses. Killing a boss no hit will give you a bonus heart.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

grate deceiver posted:

How do i suck less at Enter the Gungeon

I have 20+ hours and can still only barely scrape by to chamber 2. Made it to 3 twice

I forget when you unlock it but the boss rush mode is a huge help for getting good at no-hitting the bosses.

Like poemdexter said, get good at dodging. Staying calm and looking for holes in the bullet spray patterns is how you get through rooms. Roll only when you absolutely must.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

found this Blasphemous reference hat in ARNF today, first time ive seen it:

it's called the 'mecha pirote' and gives bonus duration to god shrine blessings

Funktor posted:

Spirits Abyss has eaten up my last few days and I've got to pile on to that recommendation.

But another game that is just as good as both that hasn't been mentioned here in a while is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. For those who are not familiar, TVRUHH is a boss rush shmup roguelite. It's got a bevy of different boss fights, tons of items, plenty of unlockables, and most importantly, incredibly well-tuned variable difficulty. It manages to be fun and have an encouraging feel, as though there are always plenty of things you can accomplish, whether you are a shmup veteran or a total newbie. It's also got a very friendly Discord and an active and responsive dev.

The game is still in EA, but my impression is that it's nearing a final push before release. The main thing missing is parts of the story - but what already exists is compelling.

thanks for the recommendation! this looks great, i love games where you can befriend the monsters

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any examples of a fairly traditional roguelike (turn based, overhead view, combat happens in same exploration map / non-modal) that had large (4+) controllable player parties with independent movement? So summons/pets like Mystery Dungeon style don't count

While none of these are what I would call traditional roguelikes, in each of them , you control party members who have their own movement and actions (at least in combat)

Invisible Inc. - Infiltrate enemy strongholds with stealth and hacking. If I remember correctly, you start with a party of 3 but you can get upgrades that allow more?
Battle Brothers - You definitely get a large party in this one. Up to 12 members I think. Move them through an overworld map, then combat is brutally played on a hex grid.
Renowned Explorers You only have 3 members in your party, but combat is on a hex grid. Choose between physical, demoralizing, or friendly "attacks", depending on your skill set and the enemy's resistances. I really enjoy this one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone still play Sil-Q 1.5 looking for advice on how to actually do a build to win the game instead of dying at 500 feet.

I'm actually kinda upset that this poster, who apparently averaged 15 posts a day, asked a question that got me all excited about Sil chat and made me write an effort post, then goes has the audacity to take a break from the forums for a few days. Jerk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

are there any roguelite games where you can play as a goblin? it seems like a shocking absence. peglin got me in the mood for goblin action but i cant find any

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

I'm actually kinda upset that this poster, who apparently averaged 15 posts a day, asked a question that got me all excited about Sil chat and made me write an effort post, then goes has the audacity to take a break from the forums for a few days. Jerk.

Would you like to play again? Y/N

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Huh after talk of I, Dracula: Genesis being abandoned, it just got a huge update and changed its name to Doomsday Hunters

which really freaked me out cause suddenly there was a game downloading that i'd never heard of that I apparently had a bunch of hours in

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are there any roguelite games where you can play as a goblin? it seems like a shocking absence. peglin got me in the mood for goblin action but i cant find any

When you said that I thought "Oh yeah, I'm sure there are a bunch" but upon further thought, I'm also coming up blank. Not even Zangband, with its huge list of races lets you play as a goblin.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is also essentially what the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are: literally part of the Shiren the Wanderer franchise where you capture pokemon then do roguelike dungeons with a party of 4 pokemon which are swappable/controllable. I can't remember if it gives you the ability to control all four every turn or not though.
It doesn't, but I played a hack of PMD red recently that lets you do that(plus a difficulty increase hack) which was very nice.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There was an old Dwarf Fortress-like called Goblin Camp that I really liked that had you manage a horde of the little blighters and their hovels. It was abandoned long ago though. Shame; it was really unique!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goblin Stone comes out in December and it looks like an interesting mishmash of genres including roguelite deck builder where you play as a party of goblins. It has a demo but I haven't played it.

I'm beyond burned out on deckbuilders but I like the conceit:

quote:

Overadventuring has wiped out 90% of the goblins in the wild. Lead these goblins in a desperate struggle to reverse their fate through this turn-based RPG crafted in charming hand-drawn 2D style.

And the art is nice:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256825709/movie480_vp9.webm

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 27, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Huh after talk of I, Dracula: Genesis being abandoned, it just got a huge update and changed its name to Doomsday Hunters

which really freaked me out cause suddenly there was a game downloading that i'd never heard of that I apparently had a bunch of hours in
This is a way less cool name and I do not support the change, sorry developers I make the rules :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If the name change was spurred by something like whoever owns the I, Robot IP getting mad, they should have changed it to Me, Dracula: Genesis

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Arboria is exclusively a game about being a troll, but it's a gobliny troll.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Farquar posted:

When you said that I thought "Oh yeah, I'm sure there are a bunch" but upon further thought, I'm also coming up blank. Not even Zangband, with its huge list of races lets you play as a goblin.

yeah its really surprised me. I just got the itch to play one and assumed that I must already have like 5 games that fit the bill, but I don't.

Goblin Stone comes out in December and it looks like an interesting mishmash of genres including roguelite deck builder where you play as a party of goblins. It has a demo but I haven't played it.

this looks very sweet thanks, i'm gonna wishlist it

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is a way less cool name and I do not support the change, sorry developers I make the rules :colbert:

yeah the name and the new logo are much less cool, but i guess at least it means the game isnt abandoned? its still the same devs in charge and according to their discord they always planned to change the name, so its not signalling a villainous takeover or something as far as i can tell.

Mithross posted:

Arboria is exclusively a game about being a troll, but it's a gobliny troll.

ive been playing arboria and it's good fun. it has a very 90s like abes oddessy type vibe to it. I just wish the enemies in the first biome weren't almost all bees.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

If the name change was spurred by something like whoever owns the I, Robot IP getting mad, they should have changed it to Me, Dracula: Genesis

The new title should have absolutely been I'm Dracula, Genesis!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Funktor posted:

The thread for TVRUHH wasn't very active but the OP is what got me into it. Great game.

Sorting Algorithms posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0SQ2q2kr-A

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is a boss-rush bullet-hell game where you fight through your choice of several randomized side-scrolling boss battles and collect power-ups on the way to the final boss. What sets it apart from other shmups gameplay-wise is that the entire game is built around a rogue-lite progression system where meeting certain milestones and earning achievements unlocks new bosses, abilities, playable characters, and bits of ephemera. This means that the game has a very gentle difficulty curve and a shitload of ways to keep yourself entertained and engaged as you play over and over: do you risk derailing a good run to try and complete one of the unique puzzle-esque challenges on a rare boss? Do you give up a power-up now so you can use it in a future run, or hold onto it? Do you challenge an unknown boss to add it to your compendium, even if you also have no idea what its strengths and weaknesses are? I'm someone who never really was into shmups before and I've put in over 100 hours in this game over the past six months and I still come back to it on a weekly basis and have things I haven't unlocked yet, The Binding of Isaac was an explicit source of inspiration for the game's roguelite elements and it absolutely nails it.

Also, with few exceptions every boss character has multiple levels of difficulty, gradually layering on more and more complex bullet patterns and additional attacks, so even though you'll be fighting each of the now 74 bosses in the game countless times there's a lot of variation even within the same boss. For example, this gif compares an early boss at low and high difficulty levels

Graphically the game draws heavy inspiration from the weird otherworldly hell beasts that show up at the end of Kirby games, lots of simple shapes and ominous floating eyes and wings and glyphs. Also all the characters in the game are female, not for horny reasons but in a conspicuous push back against game characters always defaulting to male pronouns. The humanoid alien characters are all nude but it's G-rated artistic nudity, and the game even has an option to cloak them in mist if the outline of a boob on the pause screen distracts from your gaming. The game has been in early access since 2018 with frequent updates and this year is when version 1.0 is going to come out, the story is the last bit the creator is going to complete so what's there is incomplete, but if you're into Lore there's tons of item descriptions to delve through and if not then outside of the tutorial cutscenes are relatively scarce and always skippable.

https://twitter.com/VeyeralGames/status/1380718696688087040?s=20

Some of the elements of the game can be obtuse and there isn't a lot of documentation since this is a relatively obscure game, if you need any help feel free to ask here or on their very nice Discord channel.

If you need more persuading I made a video about the game a few months ago, I really love and connect with this game and you should play it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dHyT1kW1c

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
After that big writeup, I'm definitely jonesing to get ARNF when I get paid. Does anyone know if it has a good Switch port?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Downfall mod for Slay the Spire lets you play as the Gremlins.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Zeerust posted:

After that big writeup, I'm definitely jonesing to get ARNF when I get paid. Does anyone know if it has a good Switch port?

i believe it is out on switch

Jedit posted:

The Downfall mod for Slay the Spire lets you play as the Gremlins.

oo i need to check this out, i love those lil guys

edit: goblin stone is extremely cute and very high production value. its less of a card battler and more like darkest dungeon. you have a xcom 2 style goblin base and send your little guys out into the world. it is very traumatic when the sweet goblins die however.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2021

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

i believe it is out on switch

I meant "is the Switch port any good", sorry for being unclear!

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zeerust posted:

I meant "is the Switch port any good", sorry for being unclear!

I played it exclusively on Switch and I never ran into any bugs or anything.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been giving Spirits Abyss time after fixing that 45 fps bug. I really like how unique this is but it reminds me a lot of Spelunky and not always in positive ways.

The amount of times I've gotten surprised by an enemy lurking among the background and lost health because of it... Visual clarity isn't a priority despite the lush graphics.

Despite that I managed to get far enough to find the book and unsuccessfully fight the (first?) boss. Not sure how long a complete run takes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Despite that I managed to get far enough to find the book and unsuccessfully fight the (first?) boss. Not sure how long a complete run takes.

The next mode you just unlocked has twice as many stages, then there's another one after that you get from unlocking 5 alternate biomes. I stumbled into unlocking 4 so far pretty easily, they're the doors that appear sometimes between levels and most of them seem to have a couple different means of opening them, whether it's possessing a specific item or sacrificing health or whatever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Darkest Dungeon 2 is in early access, not sure if that's been mentioned yet

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mithross posted:

Has anyone else picked up inscryption yet? I've spent most of the day digging into it and I like it. It's in the same vein as Slay the Spire, although mixed up and simplified in some ways. It's also lane based and very halloween appropriate. If any of those keywords push your buttons I really recommend just giving it a try and refunding it if it doesn't hook you. It's from the guy who made Pony Island and his games are pretty easy to end up spoiled on I feel like.

Yeah it owns, I love it and it has the best presentation imo of any game this year. Has it's own thread though if you want to discuss in detail.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I picked up Demoncrawl on a whim. It's a bit frustrating but it's mostly just "hosed up my puzzle logic" frustration. I've never really played minesweeper before and pretty much all my enjoyment in the game so far is just from that and not so much from anything from Demoncrawl. I haven't really picked up any masteries yet though so maybe that will start changing things.

It's kinda funny, I got an item off a ghost that turned me into a ghost when I died and in the time I had before my game ended I used an item that damaged me for money in a shop because why not. I got an achievement for dying in a special stage and the game bugged out and forgot about the ghost timer. I was able to finish the quest by just quickly brute forcing the stages since I basically had infinite health. I got a lot of XP for the super fast no-hit wins. I haven't managed to beat that quest legit yet, I suck.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Tenderfoot Tactics isn't a roguelike, but is an indie open world tactics game (very different mechanics, but maybe similar allures?) where you play as all goblins.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Not exactly what you asked for, but Othercide is probably the best non-XComlike tactics roguelike I've played. It's more missions and less exploration, though, and the attrition system (the only way to heal a unit is to sacrifice another unit of the same level) turns a lot of people off.

What you're describing is kind of a white whale of mine--I've been looking for something like that for a long time, and there's a lot of stuff that's really good and like one or two steps away (Horizon's Gate is super good, but open world and not a roguelike), but nothing that quite hits all those notes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah after like 3 hotfix patches all the ectoplasm/ghost stuff is still hosed up, it's pretty bad. It's supposed to be a class-specific mechanic and works there but something to do with the Halloween event really screwed things up, I just basically don't touch ectoplasm when I play. That said, keep digging in. The game's got a really compelling mix of skill and RNG and then skill in mitigating the RNG that got me to sink a couple hundred hours into it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OtspIII posted:

Tenderfoot Tactics isn't a roguelike, but is an indie open world tactics game (very different mechanics, but maybe similar allures?) where you play as all goblins.

Not exactly what you asked for, but Othercide is probably the best non-XComlike tactics roguelike I've played. It's more missions and less exploration, though, and the attrition system (the only way to heal a unit is to sacrifice another unit of the same level) turns a lot of people off.

What you're describing is kind of a white whale of mine--I've been looking for something like that for a long time, and there's a lot of stuff that's really good and like one or two steps away (Horizon's Gate is super good, but open world and not a roguelike), but nothing that quite hits all those notes.

Have you tried Alvora Tactics, by the same devs as Horizons Gate?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/643900/Alvora_Tactics/

It's one of my favorite games of all time so I don't know why I didn't think of it until I read your post - it's the same game and combat systems as HG but instead of open world sailing, it's a procedurally generated roguelite strategy tactics dungeon diver where the dungeon you dive into is a gigantic worm that's swallowing the town. It has permadeath and there are always more mooks to recruit and level up, it's fairly roguelikey with some additional metagame progression (town development), but not a true traditional roguelike. Starts with a party of 4 and expands to 6 with town upgrades. You generally control one while the others trail behind (and you can swap freely and use their abilities to solve world puzzles and stuff), but in combat it's fully turn based and you control your entire party individually.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256685572/movie480.webm?t=1495753744

The only real con I can remember is that enemies aren't as distinctly defined mechanically as they tend to be in roguelikes and there are a lot of [humanoid with various equipment] enemies.

Voidspire Tactics is the third phenomenal strategy tactics game by Rad Codex which is 1000% worth playing if you like HG or Alvora, but it's not a roguelike at all and is more of a vaguely-openworld linear CRPG using the same mechanics and combat system. All three of these games are insanely good sleeper hits that deserve far more exposure than they get.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

SavageMessiah posted:

I picked up Demoncrawl on a whim. It's a bit frustrating but it's mostly just "hosed up my puzzle logic" frustration. I've never really played minesweeper before and pretty much all my enjoyment in the game so far is just from that and not so much from anything from Demoncrawl. I haven't really picked up any masteries yet though so maybe that will start changing things.

It's kinda funny, I got an item off a ghost that turned me into a ghost when I died and in the time I had before my game ended I used an item that damaged me for money in a shop because why not. I got an achievement for dying in a special stage and the game bugged out and forgot about the ghost timer. I was able to finish the quest by just quickly brute forcing the stages since I basically had infinite health. I got a lot of XP for the super fast no-hit wins. I haven't managed to beat that quest legit yet, I suck.

As someone who also recently got into Demoncrawl, my experience is that as I got better at minesweeper, the game gets more Demoncrawl-y because I started to live long enough to see the cool poo poo. :v:

Masteries do help a lot too, but I've found the level 1 masteries are really underwhelming? Like, so many of them are just small things like "start with 10 coins" or "start with 1 defense" and it takes until at least level 2 to get anything cool. It's honestly one of the reasons Wizard was the first one I maxxed out, because "the first item shop only has magic items" means you're pretty much guaranteed to get something cool. Plus, it makes it really easy to unlock higher levels of the Wizard mastery, because if you get any form of stage unlocking you can just fill your inventory up with cool magic items.

Once you do start getting Level 2+ masteries though, things can go crazy pretty quickly. Lots of busted stuff that can let you completely ignore normal minesweeper rules.