Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The pro move would have been to launch the n64 without an analogue stick on the controller and then sell an updated controller six months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bleck posted:

The N64 controller looks a little wonky but I don't feel the need to complain about the design twenty-something years later because nobody ever shoved one up my rear end in a drunken rage or whatever lovely thing happened to you people

Don't doxx my Glover cosplay.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Augus posted:

it’s lame actually, they should be more boring and lovely

Why would Nintendo make a game about your posts

:grin:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The pro move would have been to launch the n64 without an analogue stick on the controller and then sell an updated controller six months later.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have no stick and I must scream.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
N64 seems like the easiest controller to shove up an rear end until the Wii came out. The Saturn 3D controller or the Xbox duke would be the worst unless we count the GameCube chainsaw controller

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

N64 seems like the easiest controller to shove up an rear end until the Wii came out. The Saturn 3D controller or the Xbox duke would be the worst unless we count the GameCube chainsaw controller

ribbed for your pleasure

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Top ten controllers to shove up your rear end is not what I thought I'd be musing on today but the options are surprisingly robust.

I gotta go find my boomerang

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The Gamecube controller has some nicely tapered handles, that could be a decent time if you were so inclined

uh oh

flashback to me downloading the Rez demo on some console while I was a horny teenager and trying to persuade my girlfriend at the time to, erm, use the second controller

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ribbed for your pleasure

Ever notice how the handles directly evolved into the Cube controller?

You're welcome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mister Facetious posted:

Ever notice how the handles directly evolved into the Cube controller?

You're welcome.

the layout is also kind of like the N64 with the c-directionals replacing the second dpad

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ah I see alot of you never played atari, atleast not with the joystick

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The Gamecube controller has some nicely tapered handles, that could be a decent time if you were so inclined

uh oh

flashback to me downloading the Rez demo on some console while I was a horny teenager and trying to persuade my girlfriend at the time to, erm, use the second controller

Didn't Rez have its own controller that was intended to be a vibrator in all but name?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ribbed for your pleasure

Did any games use both Dpads?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There were games on the Virtual Boy? Next you're going to tell me someone actually owned an Atari Jaguar!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Spacebump posted:

I think Teleroboxer may have. Also there's a Lovecraft game that basically used it for aiming in combat, which arguably makes it the earliest twin-stick first person shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYfPQuDOfZM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also you can do the postgame before the endgame, but shouldn’t. I got a scratch on my disc that prevented me from going to the final content, and instead ground myself up to face the various superbosses. When I finally got hold of a replacement, I killed the final boss in one hit. The power curve in FFX is weird.

Is it really post game if the game ends once the credit roll and doesn't let you load it back up to tie up odds and ends?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Commander Keene posted:

There were games on the Virtual Boy? Next you're going to tell me someone actually owned an Atari Jaguar!

My neighbor growing up had one.

Blue Thunder and AvP were decent titles. Everything else sucked.

He insisted it was better than the PS1 and just lol at being a console warrior in general, but especially on behalf of the jaguar.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mega64 posted:

Didn't Rez have its own controller that was intended to be a vibrator in all but name?

Yeah, although it appears the developer swears it was TOTALLY NOT SEXUAL and claimed it was meant for some like, synesthesia poo poo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah I think it was hearing about that that inspired me to suggest it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spacebump posted:

Red Alarm

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FFX is pretty great, but how long does it keep you in tutorial mode? I'm just leaving Besaid and I'm still getting what feels to be fixed fights. Also I noticed a bunch of chests in some trees, I don't think I can get them. I hope to come back because I suddenly ended the thing in the chapel and I feel like I missed something.

I'm pretty sure I've had more cutscenes than game which is fine because I'm enjoying them. The voice-acting is good, the writing is pretty bad, but I am really curious to know what's going on. It's pretty cool how this feels like a natural progression from 6 through 9.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

dpad is an importnat part of 3d games for extra buttons so not really

Ok I've designed the perfect controller

Three analog sticks, three triggers, three bumpers, two d pads, and c buttons. Middle and left triggers, bumpers and d pad are mirrors of each other, but the middle can be right hand if you have a game where you want someone to grip the left and middle.

I also replaced start with + and - and added a home and capture button.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Looks great how’s the drift?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Blue Thunder and AvP were decent titles. Everything else sucked.

you must be forgetting about Virtual Boy Wario Land.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is a solved problem

https://www.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859031557/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

FFX is pretty great, but how long does it keep you in tutorial mode? I'm just leaving Besaid and I'm still getting what feels to be fixed fights. Also I noticed a bunch of chests in some trees, I don't think I can get them. I hope to come back because I suddenly ended the thing in the chapel and I feel like I missed something.

I'm pretty sure I've had more cutscenes than game which is fine because I'm enjoying them. The voice-acting is good, the writing is pretty bad, but I am really curious to know what's going on. It's pretty cool how this feels like a natural progression from 6 through 9.

There's probably more cutscenes than game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ok I've designed the perfect controller

Three analog sticks, three triggers, three bumpers, two d pads, and c buttons. Middle and left triggers, bumpers and d pad are mirrors of each other, but the middle can be right hand if you have a game where you want someone to grip the left and middle.

I also replaced start with + and - and added a home and capture button.

Tell us more, Uncky Herb!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barreft posted:

There's probably more cutscenes than game

That's wild. I'm also pleased this game goes the FF6 and FF9 route of "explicit" character classes, or at least it seems to me each character with the standard sphere grid is supposed to be something in particular.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I kind of want one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there definitely isn’t more cutscene than game in FFX.
there is a lot of cutscene, yeah, but there’s also a lot of game

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there an active Wii thread.

Not joking

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there an active Wii thread.

Not joking

Not anymore. There isn't much interest for its games anymore.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
For hacking or for game playin

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Okay I'm already subscribed to both of those threads anyway I just didn't want to make a low quality post in a place it didn't belong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Okay I'm already subscribed to both of those threads anyway I just didn't want to make a low quality post in a place it didn't belong.

Have you seen the rest of this thread? Don't worry about it, ask away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alternatively make a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=278 its not a busy sub-forum at all.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Or just ask in the chat thread. We rarely judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

This looks like something you would see on display in a mock living room at IKEA