Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Just eat the drat cookie!

Did like none of ya' ever learn anything from the cookie monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Axe-man posted:

Sorry but unless you are never click you are trash.

https://cookieclicker.fandom.com/wiki/True_Neverclick

My friends and I are working on unlocking group achievement "Ookie Cookie"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Just eat the drat cookie!

Did like none of ya' ever learn anything from the cookie monster?

Whick cookie monster? Orthodox Cookie or reformation "cookies are a sometimes food" cookie?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

A.o.D. posted:

Whick cookie monster? Orthodox Cookie or reformation "cookies are a sometimes food" cookie?

Like obviously the cookie monster that we all pray. Death to the heathen that nail veggies to cookie monsters doors!

Keep the faith!!!!!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Sorry to keep posting from comic books, but in the latest issue of Star Trek: The Mirror War the (mirror) crew of the Enterprise goes to one of Picard's treasure stashes, only to find it empty with a note left by the thief;

Just thought that was funny.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

It's not a good one to start off with. I would quit out for now and start with Player of Games, which is much less convoluted. Once you're more familiar with how the universe works you'll find Excession easier

Thanks so much for this, and thanks to the other Goons for your recommendations!

Knowing that Player of Games might not only be better, but more accessible, is very exciting! I'll be checking it out for sure!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m sorry, did I really just watch an episode where some dude breaks Warp 10, kidnaps Janeway, they both evolve into giant tadpoles, have tadpole babies, get turned back into regular humans, and act like nothing happened?

What the gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's Voyager baby

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Had to post again because I forgot to mention the part where Chakotay just casually mentions he decided to leave the tadpole babies that represent the future of human evolution just chilling in some random planet in the Delta quadrant.

What the hell, man.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

classic voyager

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I watched Threshold on a whim the other day and it is indeed very bad and stupid, but it kicks off a string of watchable-to-pretty-okay Voyager episodes. I liked the one with Tuvok and the kids stranded on the planet.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Ahem, that's Emmy-Award winning episode Threshold, thank you very much!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

That's Voyager baby

That's Peak Voyager, baby!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Had to post again because I forgot to mention the part where Chakotay just casually mentions he decided to leave the tadpole babies that represent the future of human evolution just chilling in some random planet in the Delta quadrant.

What the hell, man.

Good call. I mean they were highly evolved human lizard/frog people, there's not a chance in hell they wouldn't grow up to be massive assholes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Culture has a lot of orgies, so presumably they're all pretty good at 3-Body Problems

The Culture's solution to the Dark Forest Problem is to light a bonfire, start toasting hot dogs and s'mores, and singing songs. Oh, and keeping a fleet of ROUs in stasis at a reasonable rush-in distance.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

nine-gear crow posted:

That's Peak Voyager, baby!

I've never actually sat down and watched Threshold, but was that one of those salamanders on the medical ship on Lower Decks?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kazy posted:

I've never actually sat down and watched Threshold, but was that one of those salamanders on the medical ship on Lower Decks?

Yes, it was a gag making fun of Threshold. As is Mariner thinking Paris was still a salamander before he visits the Cerritos.

Whoever that poor gently caress was ALSO broke the Warp 10 barrier.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mllaneza posted:

The Culture's solution to the Dark Forest Problem is to light a bonfire, start toasting hot dogs and s'mores, and singing songs. Oh, and keeping a fleet of ROUs in stasis at a reasonable rush-in distance.

Not to mention as many other civilizational contingencies as they can dream up. Which book mentions the GSVs that take shifts just dropping off the grid and hanging out in empty space monitoring transmissions and being ready to tear rear end to another galaxy and rebuild The Culture from scratch via memory backups and rebirth if necessary?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Not to mention as many other civilizational contingencies as they can dream up. Which book mentions the GSVs that take shifts just dropping off the grid and hanging out in empty space monitoring transmissions and being ready to tear rear end to another galaxy and rebuild The Culture from scratch via memory backups and rebirth if necessary?

Without looking, it's probably Excession.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alchenar posted:

Without looking, it's probably Excession.

Oubliettionaries, from Surface Detail

I had to look up the book, but not the name.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like it gives Geordie an extra level of tragedy for him to have gotten kidnapped and brainwashed on his vacation to the sex planet so he never actually got to go there.

Also what the heck, why are there no computer games in the future.

If I remember right, the computer does offer something like "visual interface" or something like that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Programming the holodeck to do a perfect recreation of a living room in 1987 so I can play Duck Hunt

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You have to use a CRT holodeck, not an LCD holodeck, or the Zapper won't work

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CPColin posted:

You have to use a CRT holodeck, not an LCD holodeck, or the Zapper won't work

That'd just lead to Admiral Satie investigating Critical Race Theory being promoted on Federation starships.

(I know what you mean by CRT.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 4, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJz8OfsxrT8

The Ryan's Edits guy has learned how to deep fake and it's.. uh.. hilarious?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I’m sorry, did I really just watch an episode where some dude breaks Warp 10, kidnaps Janeway, they both evolve into giant tadpoles, have tadpole babies, get turned back into regular humans, and act like nothing happened?

What the gently caress.

i love getting to re-live that episode for the first time through other people

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I remember my first time... I stopped watching voyager until the last episode, and literally tuned in cause I was home from college and wanted to see if it was still on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I missed it when it aired on tv, but Voyager was always the Trek I liked to tune into growing up. TNG was okay, I loved Data, but Voyager always felt like "my" star trek. tuning into ds9 i usually forgot it was star trek, i think i confused it with babylon-5 often. i love ds9 now but as a kid never sought it out on TV, as much as you could seek anything on a pre-determined schedule.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Isn't Threshold immediately followed by 'Meld'? I wonder how many people missed a genuinely good episode because Threshold just made them flee forever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you can’t take the bad you don’t deserve the good.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I joked about it earlier, but Threshold actually did make me a little more open minded about Voyager. If I can sit through what's widely considered the worst episode of the Berman shows and think "Eh, at least it's still Star Trek," when the credits roll, I can probably watch the rest of Voyager.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Voyager's Threshold is a natural progression for a franchise that put out TNG's Genesis only a few years prior. It's bad, but it's a better kind of bad than what came later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Threshold isn’t that bad. Or I guess it’s better to say that Voyager has a number of episodes that are way worse

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kibayasu posted:

If you can’t take the bad you don’t deserve the good.

If you can't handle me at my Threshold
You don't deserve me at my Sub Rosa

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In a few dozen hundred million years our descendents will look back and marvel at the prophetic vision of Threshold and think it amusing us land-locked primitives thought it was so farcical.

edit: how much to commission a specially edited "just the quiet chill parts" edit of a Trek season, I wonder? Between theme songs that are inexplicably three times louder than your maximum volume is set to scenes where lots of things are blowing up or going wrong, it's sometimes hard to doze off to.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 5, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Threshold is downright good compared to 11:59.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Threshold is downright mediocre compared to any episode exploring Chakotay's mystic Native powers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

if only pick was here to post about how threshold was an amazing episode

threshold was uhhh

it made for some amazing lower decks references

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

threshold is in my opinion only uniquely bad in that its one of the episodes that opens the most cans of worms and then leaves them sitting there on the floor writhing and squirming for eternity. the premise is in all honesty somewhat salvagable, but the absolute level of "uhh we dont care, gotta get to the next act, gotta wrap this up, uhh its all better now" from the writers is truly on another level with threshold. the fact that they cared so little about their show on an individual episode level and in how what they were presenting on screen could possibly affect any past or future star trek was a giant obvious flag for people watching. the fact that it came in season 2 was particularly jarring. season 2 of a writers room shouldn't be so blatantly creatively bankrupt and completely sick and tired of trying to create television with a beginning, middle, and end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threshold is downright good compared to 11:59.

There are many kinds of terrible. One kind is just a complete loving bore that you forget in five minutes. Much of Voyager is this. Threshold is the kind of terrible where you want to make everyone you know watch it immediately so they can experience it. It's the good kind of bad.