Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Right, but they don't just want a one-time pay of 15 euro, they want constant payments of many euros. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There was a time when I thought that everyone having a computer in their pocket would revolutionize video games. Instead it revolutionized revenue generation, and those influences are now creeping their way into conventional games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ponzicar posted:

There was a time when I thought that everyone having a computer in their pocket would revolutionize video games. Instead it revolutionized revenue generation, and those influences are now creeping their way into conventional games.

:capitalism:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It also already has controller support (but just console, they never added it to pc for some reason?)

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
Farmville 3 came out yesterday and is kinda fun and scientifically addictive

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Guillermus posted:

It's a shame because just straight porting Diablo 3 with decent touch controls (and gamepad support) would be enough for me to shell 10-15€.

At this point even a port of Diablo 1 would be enough.

I'd love a port of D2R. Port of diablo 1 on PSX would be nice too, though I suppose I could already play that on ppsspp

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Majik Ninja posted:

Farmville 3 came out yesterday and is kinda fun and scientifically addictive

Is it any better then other Farmvilles, or more of the same but now with Animals

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Is it any better then other Farmvilles, or more of the same but now with Animals

It looks a lot better. The animals all have breeding lines and after some amount of cycles or time they become elder and are sent off to live their last days.

It has every timer it can add and quickly fills your limited inventory but I'm enjoying it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
presumably at some point you hit the "monetization point" where it becomes all about extracting your cash instead of being engaging to play

how many days of playtime do you think it's got in it before that point?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Someone I think in a podcast mentioned playing a game until you start to see the numbers underneath it and I think about that a lot when it comes especially to phone games.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Someone I think in a podcast mentioned playing a game until you start to see the numbers underneath it and I think about that a lot when it comes especially to phone games.

yes it happened to me waaaaaay back with WoW. Came a point I could just about see the spreadsheet behind my character and it took all the fun out of it instantly

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anyone play Battle Cats?

I got all the gold drops from the first 3 chapters and did a little poking around Legends and not really sure which of these freaks I should be investing in as I have a lot. I'm rank 900 something and I don't even know what I'm doing with cat fruit lol

E: I also tried Metal Slug Defense as I love Metal Slug but I wiped the second I left the tutorial and kept wiping as I don't generate money fast enough and the enemy bases vomit stuff that kill my soldiers I sent out in one shot so I have no idea what the gently caress is going on there

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just discovered Tap Knight tonight browsing the play store and it might be a decent time waster for a buck if you like these kinds of games. I expected a tap Titans clone but instead of tapping to swing a sword you're tapping to spawn enemies and your guy auto attacks so it's kind of reversed.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

presumably at some point you hit the "monetization point" where it becomes all about extracting your cash instead of being engaging to play

how many days of playtime do you think it's got in it before that point?

At this point my gold requirements are pretty big and the sell board never wants the stuff you have. You can reset them but it takes longer every level you gain. Still having fun.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Currently playing legends of Idelon and loving it, but I also have an itch for base-building games. Anyone have any recommendations? They can be idlers or not, though I get such a crazy adrenaline rush from slow, crunchy, incremental progress.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Seven Knights 2 drops tomorrow. Any of y'all playing it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Giant Octopus posted:

Currently playing legends of Idelon and loving it, but I also have an itch for base-building games. Anyone have any recommendations? They can be idlers or not, though I get such a crazy adrenaline rush from slow, crunchy, incremental progress.

Likely not exactly what you were thinking of but I think you'd really enjoy OGame. I won't be able to do it justice but basically you are assigned a planet where you build resource-generating structures, defensive/offensive structures, research tech, assemble fleets and send them to scout/go on expeditions/raid other players/raid planets that have been abandoned by other players.

I've come back to it a few times for several months at a time, back before slack and discord there was a huge goon presence on OGame, around 12 years ago (oh my god) it had it's own megathread somewhere and a busy IRC channel where people were looking to pool resources to build massive ships like the titans of Eve. I don't play currently but I have very fond thoughts about it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I also fall into a OGame hole every few years or so.

There's also some browser game where you controlled a country and could build it up and have military units and launch nukes at other players. The game reset every month or so I think and I would spend my entire month doing nothing but training spies and building nukes and just drop chemical weapons and send my spies on some people in the last few days. You could switch your government type (I think to Tyranny) to make attacks take less turns but all this would cause so much turmoil and my entire country would self-destroy itself as it ran out of money. I think chemical weapons could also backfire so my food was completely tainted and killing my own units.

I think the name of the game was "Earth xxxx" where xxxx was some year in the far future.

Browser games like that are so quaint and I have a lot of good memories of them. They were very much the BBS door games of the time I suppose. Had good memories of playing Urban Dead with goons as well.

edit: It was Earth: 2025 and it's no longer in operation. Also that isn't that far in the future these days. There's a copy of it called Earth Empires but when I go to the site for it, Firefox warns me that it's a possible malicious site.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 9, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is there any new hot poo poo must play games? Got a flight coming up and could use something to waste time but most games lately have been disappointing. Where are the modern monument valleys or you must build a boat!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Is there any new hot poo poo must play games? Got a flight coming up and could use something to waste time but most games lately have been disappointing. Where are the modern monument valleys or you must build a boat!

Goon-made Slice & Dice, so much so that we had to make a thread for it as its all we were talking about for weeks.

Thread here.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Likely not exactly what you were thinking of but I think you'd really enjoy OGame. I won't be able to do it justice but basically you are assigned a planet where you build resource-generating structures, defensive/offensive structures, research tech, assemble fleets and send them to scout/go on expeditions/raid other players/raid planets that have been abandoned by other players.

I've come back to it a few times for several months at a time, back before slack and discord there was a huge goon presence on OGame, around 12 years ago (oh my god) it had it's own megathread somewhere and a busy IRC channel where people were looking to pool resources to build massive ships like the titans of Eve. I don't play currently but I have very fond thoughts about it.

This looks extremely rad but unfortunately browser-based stuff gets kinda funky with the work firewalls :/

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Goon-made Slice & Dice, so much so that we had to make a thread for it as its all we were talking about for weeks.

Thread here.

Thanks I actually tried this some weeks ago and though I agree its awesome, doesn't quite jive with me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Thanks I actually tried this some weeks ago and though I agree its awesome, doesn't quite jive with me.

There is a Monument Valley 2 out

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

It's out! :toot:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there something like Lemmings that isn't Lemmings? Apparently the official Lemmings game is riddled with IAP.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Is there something like Lemmings that isn't Lemmings? Apparently the official Lemmings game is riddled with IAP.
Can confirm the official game is a sad disaster. The Vita version was pretty good? :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agoat posted:

The amount of reviews on this game that are already giving it like 1 or 5 stars just to say that the games not out or something is just absurd

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Sorry but I'm lolling at the idea of a Lemmings game that gives you an IAP pop-up every time a lemming dies or something

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Martman posted:

Sorry but I'm lolling at the idea of a Lemmings game that gives you an IAP pop-up every time a lemming dies or something

I didn't even know a mobile lemmings was coming out, but I'm gonna be furious if I need to pay microtransactions to herd them all in a corner and kill them all violently in a single explosion.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The way I played Lemmings as a kid suddenly reveals a lot about me as an adult.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Last I checked Lemmings Mobile had that horrible energy/refill system on top of an annoying gashapon thing so like--nope, you're right out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

GetDunked posted:

Last I checked Lemmings Mobile had that horrible energy/refill system on top of an annoying gashapon thing so like--nope, you're right out.

....how do you do a gachapon with lemmings? Need to win your lemming abilities before you can use them?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Morpheus posted:

....how do you do a gachapon with lemmings? Need to win your lemming abilities before you can use them?

If I had to guess? Gotta unlock your second blocker by collecting 30 blocker shards, etc

So yeah basically what you said.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't get the constant fascination with diablo. 2 was just remastered and basically flopped because it turns out a 22 year old game didn't have a robust endgame by 2021 standards.

3 is just a subpar game.compared to what is offered by competitors.

The brand loyalty is just that strong even when the signs are there that blizzard just isn't that good at ARPGs in 2021.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zotix posted:

I don't get the constant fascination with diablo. 2 was just remastered and basically flopped because it turns out a 22 year old game didn't have a robust endgame by 2021 standards.

3 is just a subpar game.compared to what is offered by competitors.

The brand loyalty is just that strong even when the signs are there that blizzard just isn't that good at ARPGs in 2021.

It's nostalgia I think. Diablo 2 came out when I was in the middle of high school, it totally enthralled my group of friends and we spent almost every weekend LAN-ing it. These days it was an oppourtunity to check out a game that meant a lot to me, have a few 'oh my god I rememeber this!' moments and overall just video game comfort food - like playing ff7 again.

When D2 came out was also when I started reading SA articles and photoshop phridays so it's not just the game itself but all the stuff back then that it reminds me of.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zotix posted:

2 was just remastered and basically flopped
In what way did it flop

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Martman posted:

In what way did it flop

Yeah, by any indication I can tell it's doing very well

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Martman posted:

In what way did it flop

It's a steady decline of players. The nostalgia hype is dying down. I suppose from blizzard's financial perspective it was easy 'box' sales for them and a decent cash injection. It's not retaining players exceptionally well and doesn't really have anything to draw new players in down the line so it's basically going to have a one time bump and then fade off as is already happening.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think most games have declines in players after people finish playing the game and then play it less. There are plenty of concerns about if Blizzard will work on it going forward, but most of the early problems were "too many people are trying to play the game because it is very popular."

It's just a huge leap to "basically flopped" when a ton of people's reactions are "this still holds up surprisingly well, it looks great, and I played a shitload of it... now I might take a break for a minute, and I hope Blizzard actually puts effort into it going forward"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Martman posted:

I think most games have declines in players after people finish playing the game and then play it less. There are plenty of concerns about if Blizzard will work on it going forward, but most of the early problems were "too many people are trying to play the game because it is very popular."

It's just a huge leap to "basically flopped" when a ton of people's reactions are "this still holds up surprisingly well, it looks great, and I played a shitload of it... now I might take a break for a minute, and I hope Blizzard actually puts effort into it going forward"

Yeah, the fall-off in active players is perfectly normal for the vast majority of games that are released these days.