Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
They held rallies in NSW as well so it’s just anti vaxxers whining loudly while nobody cares at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Centusin posted:

They held rallies in NSW as well so it’s just anti vaxxers whining loudly while nobody cares at this point

Yeah it all seems extremely low care factor at this stage since everyone else can do whatever they want now.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i'm convinced half these people just have a needle phobia they don't want to admit to, manifesting in extraordinary behaviour

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Like how they try to rephrase it as an "honourable" thing to do. Get the gently caress out of here, and just be thankful you didn't kill anyone with your drunken behaviour.

This shits me also. Because if he was actually doing the "honourable" thing by resigning/not seeking re-election, then he would have announced it immediately, instead of having to be hounded and bullied into it, by his own party and by public opinion.

Also whilst I am whinging on the phrasing. I hate it that he called it an "error of judgement" or something similar. Maybe if you are 0.06 you can claim that you only had a couple of drinks and misjudged. (It is still a bad selfish thing to have done, and a crime.) But when you blow 0.131 you know you are pissed, you have had enough to know that you are not right to drive. But this entitled arsehole decided that HE would be right, and that the rules did not apply to HIM. Like the Scotch College educated Liberal member he loving is.

On a lighter note, given his license has been suspended, do you think he will be taking the bus around town? Or will he be wasting cash on Taxis, and getting his poor wife to drive him everywhere.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

On a lighter note, given his license has been suspended, do you think he will be taking the bus around town? Or will he be wasting cash on Taxis, and getting his poor wife to drive him everywhere.

He'll get E plates and drive himself around.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i'm convinced half these people just have a needle phobia they don't want to admit to, manifesting in extraordinary behaviour

Honestly I think it's more a toddler thing, Covid and the needed lockdowns obviously hasn't been a good thing, so they decide to throw a tantrum. Doesn't matter that what their whinging about doesn't make sense and is making things worse, they feel bad and want to whine.

I mean that's the most charitable view, but for a lot of them I think that's probably what it is.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

dr_rat posted:

Honestly I think it's more a toddler thing, Covid and the needed lockdowns obviously hasn't been a good thing, so they decide to throw a tantrum. Doesn't matter that what their whinging about doesn't make sense and is making things worse, they feel bad and want to whine.

I mean that's the most charitable view, but for a lot of them I think that's probably what it is.

unfair comparison imo, toddlers can generally get over a tantrum and hit the reset switch pretty quickly if you let them

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh and in other news the Nats in QLD want to bring the national anthem back for school kids.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...731d85cdc57800b

God even in primary school in the 90's I thought this poo poo was archaic garbage and it felt weird as hell being forced to if not sing it, stand for it. Are there people out there under 70 who legit like our national anthem? I mean I guess there must be, but like why?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

unfair comparison imo, toddlers can generally get over a tantrum and hit the reset switch pretty quickly if you let them

True, but unfortunately when an adult throws a tantrum they usually have a bit more of an attention span and -at least as far as it goes with adults who throw tantrums- aren't nearly as resilient.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've got a mate who's not vaxxed and had been saying he didn't know how safe it was, he was young and healthy, blah blah blah - all the usual taking points. I asked him what he would do if the gov (Qld) mandated fully vaxxed to go out to gyms etc when they open up and his argument now is just "nope, I won't- just because they're making us"

I think it's possible that's a lot of people's stance - pure stubborn opposition because they're being told to.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Aden Somyurek’s appearance at IBAC is going about as well as expected :allears:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

didn't realise freedom rallys were still a thing in australia but found out my brother was at one this morning in Adelaide. bummer. no idea what they're protesting against really but I'm sure it rattled the stoic eyebrowed power of Steve Marshall to its foundations

There was one in Adelaide? What freedom are they talking about? All we need to do is wear a mask when ordering a pint.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cpt Soban posted:

There was one in Adelaide? What freedom are they talking about? All we need to do is wear a mask when ordering a pint.

i've no idea but i'm part of the pinko fascist thought police so i doubt it'll ever make sense to me

i think this is the site for it: https://adelaidefreedomrally.com/

they're performatively cranky about mandatory vaccinations for industries, vaccine passports, lots of other common sense things.

but there's a huge donation tracker at the top of the page so most likely it's all a grift.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 8, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

alf_pogs posted:

I'm part of the pinko fascist thought police

Thank you for your service.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

i've no idea but i'm part of the pinko fascist thought police so i doubt it'll ever make sense to me

i think this is the site for it: https://adelaidefreedomrally.com/

they're performatively cranky about mandatory vaccinations for industries, vaccine passports, lots of other common sense things.

but there's a huge donation tracker at the top of the page so most likely it's all a grift.

I had a chuckle at the red ensign flags being flown.
Sounds like they're a bunch of Sovcits. So no matter what action is taken against Rona- They'd be against it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-21/covid-19-accelerating-rise-of-conspiracy-movements-in-australia/100393666

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Saw a guy in a Trump shirt at the shops on Saturday. How... how do you go out in public like that?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Saw a guy in a Trump shirt at the shops on Saturday. How... how do you go out in public like that?

Aggressively.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

starkebn posted:

I've got a mate who's not vaxxed and had been saying he didn't know how safe it was, he was young and healthy, blah blah blah - all the usual taking points. I asked him what he would do if the gov (Qld) mandated fully vaxxed to go out to gyms etc when they open up and his argument now is just "nope, I won't- just because they're making us"

I think it's possible that's a lot of people's stance - pure stubborn opposition because they're being told to.

This is why I think we should have indefinite vax mandates. A lot of these people will ultimately have less patience than the state is capable of, which is why I find it bizarre that New South Wales is tossing that advantage away in a month.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

freebooter posted:

This is why I think we should have indefinite vax mandates. A lot of these people will ultimately have less patience than the state is capable of, which is why I find it bizarre that New South Wales is tossing that advantage away in a month.

it's not that bizarre, their new premier is an absolute insaneo

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given that we're now over a year into people starting to receive the vaccines without any significant issues showing up, the talk definitely seems to be about unknown long term consequences.

But with how vaccines work, are there really any long term consequences you could suffer from one that you wouldn't likely also get if you caught Covid?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

starkebn posted:

Its the poo poo with mandatory seat belts all over again. Just run an ad campaign that people who are scared of the covid vaccine must have a tiny dick, or are a lovely mate and lets get this over with.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Given that we're now over a year into people starting to receive the vaccines without any significant issues showing up, the talk definitely seems to be about unknown long term consequences.

But with how vaccines work, are there really any long term consequences you could suffer from one that you wouldn't likely also get if you caught Covid?

You keep talking poo poo like this and I'm going to push you off the edge of this flat earth

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

Resonable opinion : Idiot in charge has been walking back on easing restrictions on unvaccinated and at 95%+ like NSW is likely to be (Good grief I never thought we would get to that kind of vaccination rate) we're pretty much at a herd immunity even with Delta. It's fair to be backing off

My actual opinion : Antivaxxers should go live in their own commune far away from rational society plus be cut off from all ability to access social media so we dont have to deal with their stupidity and we should have mandatory vaccinations forever. loving Antivaxxers got more than enough innocent blood on their hands for al the damage they have done over the years

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

From memory a scientist was asked about something like this, and apparently if you are going to have an adverse reaction to a vaccine, it generally happens in the first few months. They tend not to just lay dormant for years and then decide to cause issues.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

its experimental
its untested
its unapproved
everybody who took it will be dead in 6 months
a year
18 motnhs
5 years
10 years

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

its experimental
its untested
its unapproved
everybody who took it will be dead in 6 months
a year
18 motnhs
5 years
10 years

Everyone is going to be screaming for my pureblood sperm any day now!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

No long term effects of a vaccine have ever been reported.

(quotes are links)

quote:

Vaccine monitoring has historically shown that side effects generally happen within six weeks of receiving a vaccine dose.

quote:

We have never seen side effects appear more than a few weeks after a vaccine, despite extensive research looking for long-term effects.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They think the mRNA is going to do something to you genetically but when you say get the AZ they stop talking to you it's very confusing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
boomer and greatest gen brains have been permanently broken by the thalidomide thing

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

they stop talking to you

at this point waves of relief sort of wash over me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

boomer and greatest gen brains have been permanently broken by the thalidomide thing

While kids nowadays can watch J&J sell baby powder with asbestos in it and not even blink.

Though I think I'd blame Andrew Wakefield for vaccine paranoia, given it's all his loving fault the bastard.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Aggressively.

He was wearing a mask! It was like a walking oxymoron!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

100% guaranteed it's spite and "vaccines cause autism" people. I bet they couldn't name thalidomide

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm just using my experience talking to vacc hesitant people. Younger gens absolutely for sure have that wakefield study poo poo floating around in their moron brains but plenty of people still remember thalidomide even if they only know it as the flipper baby drug

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wakefield's bullshit just hit at the exact right moment to cause the most damage
It's absolutely hosed

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The argument I'm seeing around the place now is that the immunity wears off and you need boosters eventually, so it's more like "Why bother getting vaccinated at all if it isn't forever?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why bother eating if you just have to do it again tomorrow?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Boomres and greatest gen are literally the most vaccinated group, dont blame them on antivaxxer BS. It's faaaaar more likely to be millenials who are the real issue on this.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Though I think I'd blame Andrew Wakefield for vaccine paranoia, given it's all his loving fault the bastard.

Jenny McCarthy did untold damage signal boosting Wakefield's lies. And also Oprah did even more giving these assclowns a gigantic platform to speak unchallenged. I would put more blame on them - I wish the old jennymccarthybodycount.com site still existed, it was a fantastic source for not just debunking but explaining and showing how much damage McCarthy and Oprah did - much more that Wakefield did himself.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TheMostFrench posted:

The argument I'm seeing around the place now is that the immunity wears off and you need boosters eventually, so it's more like "Why bother getting vaccinated at all if it isn't forever?"

Why bother brushing your teeth if... Oh right never mind.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Why wear a condom when you can weld your dick shut
I
Z
A
R
D
A
S