Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think i know four people who have owned KLRs, and none of them still own KLRs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Isn’t there a goon here with a KLR?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think they also own a GSA with a sidecar

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Isn’t there a goon here with a KLR?

Yes and he's appropriately ashamed of himself.

There are several former klr owners but most of them are too embarrassed to say so.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I like the Tengai variant, but i'm kinda damaged from owning a transalp 600

Last picture I have of my transalp, random ran into the retired car mechanic that bought it from me at a gas station last summer.
She had taken good care of it. Her hip surgery had gone fine so she was out riding again. Cool lady.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A transalp is to a KLR as a neurosurgeon is to a carpenter with a power drill.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao yeah. The Transalp is from Honda's golden era and the 650 version shares (most of) an engine with the Hawk GT. Couldn't be more different from a KLR

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Transalp is what the KLR should have been. Long live Transalp.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's too bad the KLRs suck because they look nice in the new sand khaki color

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've almost managed to convince myself that the bike I want is a GSX-S750 (specifically this one -
- because, I mean look at it)
But walking home today in the rain/cold/wind really had me thinking about a R1200GS... with heated grips, big windscreen, big, waaarm cylinders sheltering your legs...
NO! Snap out of it! Do not go gentle into that good bike!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

The worst thing with motorcycling is that one bike is never enouhg :(

I still want a gixxer and a big DR, glad I havent run into any deals that I absolutely had to take

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I've almost managed to convince myself that the bike I want is a GSX-S750 (specifically this one -

No, you really don't. They do the opposite of the usual suzuki trick, they're less than the sum of their parts. They give the impression that with some $$$ on suspension they would be a much better bike, but that's true for much better bikes as well. Also that swingarm is just poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, you really don't. They do the opposite of the usual suzuki trick, they're less than the sum of their parts. They give the impression that with some $$$ on suspension they would be a much better bike, but that's true for much better bikes as well. Also that swingarm is just poo.

Yeah but they make a very very good sound, and the graphics are very bold and new.
I'm starting to think there aren't any medium displacement i4 naked bikes you like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah but they make a very very good sound, and the graphics are very bold and new.
I'm starting to think there aren't any medium displacement i4 naked bikes you like.

I mean there are hardly any of those in existence anymore and all the extant ones are basically a marketing exercise where they're bigger and slightly less lovely than a middleweight but still artificially lovely in order to avoid poaching sales from the all important 1000cc segment.

Cb650 is underpowered and overweight
Z900 has deliberately lovely brakes and suspension (fixed on the RS)
Gsx750 has a nice engine but a not-nice everything else

What else is out there? Idk if the vfr800 counts.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

I mean there are hardly any of those in existence anymore and all the extant ones are basically a marketing exercise where they're bigger and slightly less lovely than a middleweight but still artificially lovely in order to avoid poaching sales from the all important 1000cc segment.

Cb650 is underpowered and overweight
Z900 has deliberately lovely brakes and suspension (fixed on the RS)
Gsx750 has a nice engine but a not-nice everything else

What else is out there? Idk if the vfr800 counts.

Benelli TNT600...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

But walking home today in the rain/cold/wind really had me thinking about a R1200GS... with heated grips, big windscreen, big, waaarm cylinders sheltering your legs...
NO! Snap out of it! Do not go gentle into that good bike!

Nice 90s throwback Brabantia silencer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

This article disagrees - FWIW, it's referencing an FAQ page on the Livewire website that I can't find:

That map is the dealer locator straight off the loving Livewire.com website - https://www.livewire.com/locations - it's absolutely reality, and you're talking out of your rear end

You can still go buy an HD-branded Livewire at any Harley dealer who might have one in stock, and you'll pay $7,000 more than the Livewire branded one to do so. HD isn't making any more of them though, so act fast!

Sorry for late replay, but I was just repeating what the dealership told me, which in retrospect is not a good idea

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Yes and he's appropriately ashamed of himself.

There are several former klr owners but most of them are too embarrassed to say so.

I fit in both categories: Owned a 2011 KLR. It wasn't very good so I pawned it off on a friend. He hated it so I bought it back from him because the friendship is more valuable than that turd. Now I'm once again looking forward to being an ex-KLR owner.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

hoho`win posted:

Despite everything wrong with it, the engine / trans are fantastic. The paint is hosed but I don't think it's ever been down. I rode it around the block yesterday and it's great but a total deathtrap, the rear brakes are awful (suspect rust and overspray) and fronts leak fluid.

I will part it out but it's seriously making me miss my old 1100.

Yeah, the rear suspension is :dead: check out the other side with the awful exhaust:

In less depressing news, that meth-rex ZRX that I bought to part it is not getting parted out. Has become a labor of love and is getting slowly fixed:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This qualifies you for moto sainthood. Godspeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hoho`win posted:

In less depressing news, that meth-rex ZRX that I bought to part it is not getting parted out. Has become a labor of love and is getting slowly fixed:

Doing the lord's work. Very pleased to see the 4 pot conversion too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hoho`win posted:

hell loving YES BUDDY

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Transalp is what the KLR should have been. Long live Transalp.

Great news!

Yes that's a klr wearing transalp cosplay right from the factory why do you ask

My second bike was an 08 KLR, first year of the 2nd gen. I bought it new. I didn't hate it but I didn't stick by it very long either. Especially after I dropped it in the 4x4 trail area and broke the fairing on both sides.

For the love of God if you're going to buy a KLR don't buy a new KLR. Both their price and their maintenance requirements plateau pretty friggin quickly. It's not like buying a new car where they've been engineered so that you don't do any maintenance other than oil and consumables until the warranty ends.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Phy posted:

hell loving YES BUDDY

Great news!

Yes that's a klr wearing transalp cosplay right from the factory why do you ask

My second bike was an 08 KLR, first year of the 2nd gen. I bought it new. I didn't hate it but I didn't stick by it very long either. Especially after I dropped it in the 4x4 trail area and broke the fairing on both sides.

For the love of God if you're going to buy a KLR don't buy a new KLR. Both their price and their maintenance requirements plateau pretty friggin quickly. It's not like buying a new car where they've been engineered so that you don't do any maintenance other than oil and consumables until the warranty ends.

Buy yourself one :( https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1502288513440486/

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Dunk on me for liking the KLR all you like, but at least I only kind of want a Ural.

(I know I don’t actually want a Ural.)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Geekboy posted:

Dunk on me for liking the KLR all you like, but at least I only kind of want a Ural.

(I know I don’t actually want a Ural.)

We all kind of want a Ural.

Don't take the KLR hate personally, we just think there are better bikes out there. I don't have a problem with financing either. If you were buying a BMW K1300 series I would say yes you want the financing and warranty, but not on a bike that can be fixed with mud, sticks, and harsh language.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Urals are great because you can fix them with three tools, one of which is a rock, and they turn every single ride no matter how brief into an epic adventure. Sometimes it can take days just to cover a few miles!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get a Ural if you like turning left.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Get a Ural if you like turning left.

I thought the one good(ish) thing about Urals was they were 2WD so had slightly less weird handling than a normal outfit?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought the one good(ish) thing about Urals was they were 2WD so had slightly less weird handling than a normal outfit?

There is a fortnine video about Ural and its handling characteristics

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

having an extra drive wheel doesn't really change the handling all that much. the chair will still lift if you make a hard right turn, and it pushes left when you come to a stop. it pulls slightly less to the right than a regular drive hack from a dead stop. woohoo?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I loving love my ‘08 KLR, it cost next to nothing and I can tear it down and fix almost anything on it without worrying about breaking poo poo or scuffing up anything valuable. And if I can’t, what did I lose? An ‘08 KLR.

Financing a new one, to me, would defeat everything in the preceding paragraph. And yeah it’s great to ride, especially at its price point, but a new 2020 is what, $8 or 9k? If I had that kind of budget when I bought my KLR, I’d have made different choices.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Partner’s husband wanted to go look at some motorcycles yesterday, so I tagged along.

Didn’t ride anything, but they were less busy than when I’ve been there before with a whole lot of used stuff in stock.

He’s having some feelings about who he is as a person because he thinks he’s going to end up with a Harley and didn’t realize that about himself. He’s currently riding an old Honda Magna that he bought off someone in the neighborhood for next to nothing and has been alternately riding and tinkering on since spring.

He rented a Harley on vacation this summer and hasn’t stopped thinking about how nice it was. It’s also a hip geometry thing for him (apparently everyone in this weird family of ours has something wrong with one of their hips, but all in different ways) and despite being 6’2”, he really can’t get comfortable for long periods without sitting pretty low.

He’s looking at other, larger cruisers (he’s always had a thing for Goldwings), but he keeps sitting on Harleys and feeling pretty much perfect.

The KLR wasn’t as comfortable as I remembered and the older KLRs I sat on were even less so. My hip thing is a nerve issue that can be a pain to predict unless I just try something and see if my leg goes numb, so there’s no substitute for throwing my leg over it. They had a 2019 V-Strom 650 and it’s both the bike I’m most interested in and the one that seems least likely to be a problem so far.

I’m still not sure it’s perfect, but I can’t know without hours of use, I don’t know that perfect exists, and I know there’s things I can do to tweak something that’s close. The V-Strom is closer than anything else I’ve sat on, including my scooter I am currently using as my main form of transportation.

Seeing so many used bikes in stock has me feeling a little less crazy. Supply issues are going to continue to make things volatile for a long time, but I should have a good down payment together by late winter/early spring, before things get too nutty.

I enjoy giving trip reports on my quest for my first proper motorcycle, but if this is annoying I’m happy to back off. I do value goon advice, even if sometimes I learn that I want things based on how goons tell me I don’t want them. And god knows everywhere else motorcycle-focused that I’ve found is abysmal.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Were there any versys 300X to check out?

There is a goon here with one who went with it as a first bike and has even taken it camping if I remember right. Plenty of room for taller folks.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think I saw a Versys or two, but I’m not 100%. They look pretty cramped to me, just based on pictures I’m seeing of people on them. The lower my knee can be, the better.

Jesus Christ do I hate the Versys 650 front end. Those bug eye headlights are my least favorite design. I want a 2017 or later V-Strom half for traction control and half so it doesn’t have bug eyes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Geekboy posted:

I think I saw a Versys or two, but I’m not 100%. They look pretty cramped to me, just based on pictures I’m seeing of people on them. The lower my knee can be, the better.

https://cycle-ergo.com/
Put in your measurements, choose a bike, see what it will be like. Keep in mind footpegs can often be moved.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Put in your measurements, choose a bike, see what it will be like. Keep in mind footpegs can often be moved.

While useful, this doesn't seem to take the fatness of the bike into account. As far as I can tell it's just measuring on a 2 dimensional image and not taking into account the sideways angle of your hip/leg.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

pun pundit posted:

I’ve been using this to eliminate some things and get some idea of things here and there. Thanks for the reminder, though. I hadn’t used it for the Versys.

Also, this is true:

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

While useful, this doesn't seem to take the fatness of the bike into account. As far as I can tell it's just measuring on a 2 dimensional image and not taking into account the sideways angle of your hip/leg.

I sat on a V-Storm 1000 and the vertical was fine, but it was a bit too wide. Even the difference between a 1000 and a 650 was a big deal for me.

Bodies are dumb sometimes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Geekboy posted:

Partner’s husband wanted to go look at some motorcycles yesterday, so I tagged along.

Didn’t ride anything, but they were less busy than when I’ve been there before with a whole lot of used stuff in stock.

He’s having some feelings about who he is as a person because he thinks he’s going to end up with a Harley and didn’t realize that about himself. He’s currently riding an old Honda Magna that he bought off someone in the neighborhood for next to nothing and has been alternately riding and tinkering on since spring.

He rented a Harley on vacation this summer and hasn’t stopped thinking about how nice it was. It’s also a hip geometry thing for him (apparently everyone in this weird family of ours has something wrong with one of their hips, but all in different ways) and despite being 6’2”, he really can’t get comfortable for long periods without sitting pretty low.

He’s looking at other, larger cruisers (he’s always had a thing for Goldwings), but he keeps sitting on Harleys and feeling pretty much perfect.

The KLR wasn’t as comfortable as I remembered and the older KLRs I sat on were even less so. My hip thing is a nerve issue that can be a pain to predict unless I just try something and see if my leg goes numb, so there’s no substitute for throwing my leg over it. They had a 2019 V-Strom 650 and it’s both the bike I’m most interested in and the one that seems least likely to be a problem so far.

I’m still not sure it’s perfect, but I can’t know without hours of use, I don’t know that perfect exists, and I know there’s things I can do to tweak something that’s close. The V-Strom is closer than anything else I’ve sat on, including my scooter I am currently using as my main form of transportation.

Seeing so many used bikes in stock has me feeling a little less crazy. Supply issues are going to continue to make things volatile for a long time, but I should have a good down payment together by late winter/early spring, before things get too nutty.

I enjoy giving trip reports on my quest for my first proper motorcycle, but if this is annoying I’m happy to back off. I do value goon advice, even if sometimes I learn that I want things based on how goons tell me I don’t want them. And god knows everywhere else motorcycle-focused that I’ve found is abysmal.

Also worth noting that on many bikes you can step up onto the footpeg with your left foot while the kickstand is down and then swing your leg over and it will be easier that way. Except on some you cannot do that because the kickstand is attached a stupid way and it will break everything forever.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

builds character posted:

Also worth noting that on many bikes you can step up onto the footpeg with your left foot while the kickstand is down and then swing your leg over and it will be easier that way.
Once I figured this out, it's the only way I get onto any bike now. Just make sure your kickstand is on a solid surface because it could get comical really quick. I did this a few weeks ago and drat near went over when the stand sunk into 100 degree asphalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also don't ever do that if you have a ktm, Ducati, and other painful bikes.