Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my son the truth that the reason I had zero contact with him while he grew up is because I hate kids?

Must suck having Allied Mastercomputer for a dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Either sibling would only get their chunk, which is guessed at 100k but could definitely be lower or higher, if they dropped five figures suing their sister into the ground. She'd lose a ton of money to her lawyer and have her assets liquidated at below market rate to pay them. OP decided her relationship with her sister is more important that a few thousand dollars she doesn't need and the brother just seems happier to see his sister punished than to get a few thousand dollars that he also doesn't need.

"A few thousand dollars" can be life-changing for a lot of people, and I certainly don't trust sister's assessment of her brother's financial situation.

She sucks, and her sister belongs in jail, but you're worried about decorum?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my son the truth that the reason I had zero contact with him while he grew up is because I hate kids?

From the op:

quote:

Why is literally every persons go-to suggestion for me to get therapy?

Gee, I don't know??? :iiam:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fish and chips and dip posted:

From the op:

Gee, I don't know??? :iiam:

His post makes a lot more logical sense if you just find+replace the word "kids" with "childhood trauma"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"While growing up I hated kids."
"As a kid you hated kids?"
"Yes."
"This is psychologically healthy to you?"
"Yes."

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It's only a felony in the eyes of the law. It's not a life-changing amount of money for the op nor the brother.

goddamn are you a fuckin idiot

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

It's only a felony in the eyes of the law. It's not a life-changing amount of money for the op nor the brother.

Honestly make this the new GBS title

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have some French weirdos.

https://mobile.twitter.com/francoismandil/status/1457465086117822468

Rough translation mine:

quote:

For 10 days I've been in a Whatsapp group where 106 out of 107 members are between 17 and 20 year old. 50 to 100 messages an hour.

Just received a screenshot : 4 of them are in a visual call to brush their teeth together.

In Europe this is very normal.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all need to grow up a little and get some perspective, all she did was steal tens of thousands of dollars. it's impossible to say what is good or bad

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

teen witch posted:

My neighbors want to build a sex trafficking rehab “under the radar”

I'd normally bitch about NIMBY assholes ruining everything, but an "under the radar" facility addressing "sex trafficking" in TYOOL 2021 America is 100% going to be a QAnon Yehawdi training center.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DoubleNegative posted:

This discussion is reminding me of that time when I was a kid when my family had this container of chocolates from around the world. Most of them were fine or even delicious. But one of the little bars from somewhere in Europe tasted like loving ham. It's really disconcerting to bite into what you think is chocolate, only to taste pork.

Chocolate bars with bacon in were all over the place a few years ago.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kuiperdolin posted:

Have some French weirdos.

https://mobile.twitter.com/francoismandil/status/1457465086117822468

Rough translation mine:

In Europe this is very normal.

Eh, I'm not going to begrudge people their somewhat strange efforts to connect in an unprecedented era of isolation.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
That’s peanuts. I have been in a group chat with just 8 elder millennials ever since ios messages moved off of sms, and it still gets 400-500 messages per day, like 16-20 messages per hour.

100 zoomers should be able to do way better than 100 messages an hr.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"not a life changing amount of money", about an amount of money that irrevocably changed the lives of everyone involved

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

?

Sister doesn't have any kids. She's fun auntie who buys OP's kids "exactly what they want for Christmas and their birthdays" but mysteriously doesn't have any money to pay back what she stole.

ETA and "knows how to hide her nasty side around my children". I'm not so convinced of that considering how OP minimises what she did to their brother. Sounds like OP wants to stay on the sister's side pissing out rather than risking what might happen if she starts pissing in...

Wow yeah, I read that entirely with the lens that she also had a kid to take care of.

She's an rear end in a top hat for sure, but the situation is over and the money is supposedly spent. It's supremely petty and vindictive to go after your sister for money that you don't really miss though, especially when doing so could bankrupt her. When I say "It's only a felony in the eyes of the law", I mean that the consequences for her would be magnitudes worse than her crime.

My FIL had almost the exact same situation happen to him when his mother passed last year for a similar amount of money and his brother swooped in and ransacked all the heirlooms and most of the cash. My FIL absolutely did not need any of that money, but he got very sullen and paranoid around everyone, just caricaturishly not trusting people and almost cut his brother out of his life completely. He eventually came around after therapy and an SSRI, talked to his brother through a lawyer, and a few heirlooms "were suddenly found", but the whole situation was very gross considering that my FIL wasn't hurting for money at all.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Credulous Skeptic posted:

"A few thousand dollars" can be life-changing for a lot of people, and I certainly don't trust sister's assessment of her brother's financial situation.

She sucks, and her sister belongs in jail, but you're worried about decorum?

At face value, if the brother was well-off enough to not need the <$20k (after lawyers fees and liquidation and everything), yes it's hosed up to send someone, even if they were mean to you, to the charnel house that is an American prison and get their house foreclosed. If he has already moved way out of town and gone NC, it's inevitably going to be more emotionally damaging to drag up all these emotions surrounding his dead mother while simultaneously sending his own sister to jail over a few thousand dollars.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jesus Christ, log off

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

elder millennials

+2 against advertising
Critical weakness to TikTok

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

At face value, if the brother was well-off enough to not need the <$20k (after lawyers fees and liquidation and everything), yes it's hosed up to send someone, even if they were mean to you, to the charnel house that is an American prison and get their house foreclosed. If he has already moved way out of town and gone NC, it's inevitably going to be more emotionally damaging to drag up all these emotions surrounding his dead mother while simultaneously sending his own sister to jail over a few thousand dollars.

I tend to agree, if they had a good relationship, but it’s the consequences of her own actions. She poisoned the relationship so I don’t see how she could expect them to be friendly to her now. Don’t steal from people and expect it to work out for you.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

Jesus Christ, log off

For real

"Well she already spent the money she literally stole from you, you shouldn't be upset"

:fuckoff:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Uhh no, going after someone for forging their signature on legal documents and then stealing 100k and using it to buy themselves a house and car is absolutely not petty in any sense of the word. What the hell. The sister deserves to be taken to the cleaners. She deserves it not just legally, but also morally. What she did is hosed up and wrong.

OP should probably do a credit check and make sure all her financial and identity documents are locked up real tight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

This person takes "my sister forged documentation to become executor of my parent's estate and gave me $500 usd" like they eat clonazepam by the handful.

In similar stories it seems like it usually emerges that the "bygones be bygones" kids got slipped some hush money by the thief. Wonder if she's got thrown a few grand and is keeping quiet about it because she doesn't want to come under fire from her brother.

Wow yeah, I read that entirely with the lens that she also had a kid to take care of.

She's an rear end in a top hat for sure, but the situation is over and the money is supposedly spent. It's supremely petty and vindictive to go after your sister for money that you don't really miss though, especially when doing so could bankrupt her. When I say "It's only a felony in the eyes of the law", I mean that the consequences for her would be magnitudes worse than her crime.

My FIL had almost the exact same situation happen to him when his mother passed last year for a similar amount of money and his brother swooped in and ransacked all the heirlooms and most of the cash. My FIL absolutely did not need any of that money, but he got very sullen and paranoid around everyone, just caricaturishly not trusting people and almost cut his brother out of his life completely. He eventually came around after therapy and an SSRI, talked to his brother through a lawyer, and a few heirlooms "were suddenly found", but the whole situation was very gross considering that my FIL wasn't hurting for money at all.

"wow, these people are being really gross and materialistic huh" I say as I continue shoveling tens of thousands of dollars of other people's money into lifestyle upgrades for myself

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

You're either some sort of sentient doormat or someone willing to do bad things to people as long as you've determined it's actually okay to do so. Lmao @ "my FIL had to go to therapy and go on meds to deal with the betrayal, but God forbid the person that did a bad thing see any consequences for their actions."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think they just spend a lot of time on the internet and hate money but also have absolutely zero sense of scale or who to be mad at

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Are you the "My bike got stolen recently," comic guy?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

For real

"Well she already spent the money she literally stole from you, you shouldn't be upset"

:fuckoff:

I'm not saying what she did was right, I'm saying from the brother's perspective, he's facing a five figure legal bill and years of protracted legal action to get (if he's lucky) half of what he's owed. It's not a two week process where you get a canvas sack with a big dollar sign on it, it's a scorched earth war where he'd constantly reigniting the traumas of both his mother's death and his sister's abuse. And on top of that, his sister could get her entire life wrecked by a prison sentence.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not saying what she did was right, I'm saying from the brother's perspective, he's facing a five figure legal bill and years of protracted legal action to get (if he's lucky) half of what he's owed. It's not a two week process where you get a canvas sack with a big dollar sign on it, it's a scorched earth war where he'd constantly reigniting the traumas of both his mother's death and his sister's abuse.

Your strawman of the legal challenges is meaningless, why are you babbling about that bullshit

And on top of that, his sister could get her entire life wrecked by a prison sentence.

Oh noooo, the consequences of my actions!

Shut up and realize you have decorum brain worms and try to do better

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
My [20M] girlfriend [19F] asked me what I see in her and I responded as bad as you can respond

quote:

I told her some nice stuff and I think she asked if I have other needs and I said yes I think but I can get them met through friends.

I don't know what I was thinking. I don't even think I meant romantic needs. I think I meant needs as a person, maybe. Uggghhhh. I feel horrible. I remember telling her early on that I thought I needed some super creative girlfriend but it turned out to be wrong. I think she's beautiful as she is. I still hold true to that and I don't know what I was thinking. Everything is a daze. I'm feeling terrible with the thought that I might have caused her to ruminate and feel more depressed. I feel horrible.

Another time she asked again and I responded with a meme "mediocrates: good enough". I don't know why. It was so foolish. I feel terrible. I meant it totally differently than it came across. I don't know why I did that. I meant that she satisfies me and that's what matters not that she's mediocre--but that I love her for her.

I don't know if it's possible to repair this damage. I feel horrible. Absolutely horrible. I can't fathom that I made her more depressed. I love her. I've literally been crying so much for her. I don't know what happened. I don't want to hurt her.

We're on a "break/breakup" now for 3 weeks or possibly for good. I want her to feel happy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I'm not saying what she did was right, I'm saying from the brother's perspective, he's facing a five figure legal bill and years of protracted legal action to get (if he's lucky) half of what he's owed. It's not a two week process where you get a canvas sack with a big dollar sign on it, it's a scorched earth war where he'd constantly reigniting the traumas of both his mother's death and his sister's abuse. And on top of that, his sister could get her entire life wrecked by a prison sentence.

these are all important considerations that she probably should have thought of before defrauding her siblings, who she ostensibly loves and cares about, of what is probably more money than they've ever seen at once in their lives, simply because she did not feel like continuing to live in an apartment

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

And on top of that, his sister could get her entire life wrecked by a prison sentence.

good, gently caress her. she's a thief and a piece of poo poo who thinks nothing of robbing her own family. sending her to prison would be well worth the effort

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Propaniac posted:

My [20M] girlfriend [19F] asked me what I see in her and I responded as bad as you can respond

Girlfriend wanted to break up but didn't want the blame

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

He doesn't give a gently caress about his sister though? Her getting her life wrecked is the goal for him and she's made it easy and free.

It's not about the money, it's about how she made his life a misery and then topped it off by betraying his mothers wishes and stealing from him. You DO get it's not about the money right?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Your strawman of the legal challenges is meaningless, why are you babbling about that bullshit

It's not a straw man, it's a strong likelihood and I use it to reinforce my point that someone willing and to shell out $10-20k in legal fees to recoup $15-20k over a period of years isn't already dying in destitution and is more being vindictive about it. That intellectual and emotional investiture is simply not worth it from a mental health standpoint, even if you're going to be completely Manichean about the laws she broke and ignore how devastating imprisonment is.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Maybe it's the mother's final wishes to punish the daughter for as stealing from her and he's just being respectful

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It's not a straw man, it's a strong likelihood and I use it to reinforce my point that someone willing and to shell out $10-20k in legal fees to recoup $15-20k over a period of years isn't already dying in destitution and is more being vindictive about it. That intellectual and emotional investiture is simply not worth it from a mental health standpoint, even if you're going to be completely Manichean about the laws she broke and ignore how devastating imprisonment is.

you're projecting a lot of idiocy and decorum brainworms into this story, hth

and it is a strawman you're just too stupid to see it, again hth

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

duck trucker posted:

Maybe it's the mother's final wishes to punish the daughter for as stealing from her and he's just being respectful

That would be my final wish as well, for the daughter in this story to be punished.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OP says her brother "can do without the money"; given how much she's minimising everything else I'm going to wait and see if the brother has anything to say about that.

Also, and notably in your FIL's case, it's not all about the money. It's loving heirlooms. They have emotional weight and value themselves apart from monetary value. Someone helping themselves to everything of the deceased, things you wanted as mementos or because of their history? Don't you see how insulting and hurtful that would be, especially from a sibling?

From what we see of brother's POV there's been a lot of that going on there too - sister mismanaged the estate, helped herself to everything and gave her siblings a derisory amount. And from what he said to OP, the whole family has been colluding with this decorum stuff.

Burn it all down, brother. gently caress 'em all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't we only have the sister's word on how the brother is doing? And they've had minimal contact for years? And he started crying when she wouldn't back him up on this? For all we know he's down to his last savings and the lawyer is working pro bono

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you fake documents to steal an inheritance from your non-doormat siblings, you have already burned that relationship to the ground.

That has happened in my family in my grandparents' generation, and even if they chose :decorum: over legal proceeding, hoo-boy did it lead to a lot of bitterness and resentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Inheritance Law almost as good as Tree Law, the stories that have been posted involving it have been bangers.