Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Hopper posted:

Our society tells you kids and career are your right. However, the truth is career and kids do not mix. PERIOD. However, many career types are also entitlement types who think they have the right to everything. And the kids pay the bill for this. But since they don't hear it cry after they dropped their kids off, they don't see the problem. Even if they did. Their career is more important to many of these. I have personally met people soulless husks who said "in my position you have to have kids or you won't go any further because people expect it from well rounded individuals".

That one left me speechless and disgusted.

If you have children please remain a Wurstverkäufer. Very wise.

E: to clarify, the example you gave is indeed disgusting, but I strongly disagree with the first part of your post

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Hopper posted:

Our society tells you kids and career are your right. However, the truth is career and kids do not mix. PERIOD. However, many career types are also entitlement types who think they have the right to everything. And the kids pay the bill for this. But since they don't hear it cry after they dropped their kids off, they don't see the problem. Even if they did. Their career is more important to many of these. I have personally met people soulless husks who said "in my position you have to have kids or you won't go any further because people expect it from well rounded individuals".

That one left me speechless and disgusted.

This...isn't really true at all? Unless you have the type of career where you are spending 12+ hours a day at work, you can certainly prioritize spending time with your kids as much as possible.

If you're suggesting that the type of people that are aiming to be/end up being upper management/C-suite people are sociopaths with their kids to the same degree that they are with everyone else, and end up being lovely parrents as a result, congrats on picking up on the obvious?

Also I drive an old VW van, so no need to be jealous of my car.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hopper posted:

Our society tells you kids and career are your right. However, the truth is career and kids do not mix. PERIOD.

Hmm...I think it depends a bit on what "career" means. If it's strictly as an employee, I'd agree that it's hard to pull off in regard to what was advertised on the box ("get kids, you don't actually have to care about them, we just need them to push more money in the health system for the old").

Then again, I'm self employed, and mostly have clients in the KMU sector...mostly family businesses, where a lot are handing over from one generation to the next. And it's not like "we bring in our daughter or our son and setzen sie ins gemachte Nest", but a lot of time giving them enough freedom of choice to decide what they want. Lot of them made a Lehre or studierten, and started a family first and then went into taking over the family business.

Makes you think if family run KMU might actually be a good thing for work/life balance etc. I made my decision many years ago after getting burnt out at SAP, and I am really happy. I think it totally depends on what "career" means. If it means "get as rich and powerfull as quickly/efficiently as possible"...yeah, kids might stand in the way. If it means "increase your income on a steady level if you want, take a step back if other choices in life are more important (starting a family), and dive back in once you can divert time ressources differently"...no idea if people think that's "making career"....but I hope some do.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hopper posted:

Look dude, people have had to suffer enough having to keep their crotch spawns at home. I mean who could have know that as a parent you would suddenly actually be required to be there for your kids all day?

Just as a reminder, I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion in here before, and I get where you're coming from, but the problem is that our lovely society has the concept of having your kids in school built into it, and that doesn't just affect the lazy Richers that either don't need to work, or are privileged enough, to WFH, but also those parents that do not have that option, disproportionately so, unfortunately.

/edit: uh, I may have to amend my "I get where you're coming from" for the new page

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I should have been more specific. Career in this context doesn't mean "have a job" but rather the 10-12 hour ambitious consultant types and other professions with many hours and family unfriendly expectations.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Hopper posted:

Yeah, I should have been more specific. Career in this context doesn't mean "have a job" but rather the 10-12 hour ambitious consultant types and other professions with many hours and family unfriendly expectations.

The long and short of it is that people shouldn't really have kids unless they're going to prioritize them. I feel that way even more so now that I have kids, and I can't imagine treating them like they aren't wanted.

I'm fortunate that my employer is fairly flexible and that I can leave by 15 Uhr to get my kids and spend time with them until their bedtime. Sometimes means that I have to head back into the lab after they're asleep, but I pretty much get to carve a chunk out of my day as family time, even when I'm working long days. Also glad that I'm no longer in the US so I could take a year off when they were born with no questions asked (no mandatory parental leave in the States).

My heart breaks for the parents whose economic or job situation doesn't allow them to prioritize their kids as much as they'd like, because they have to be working.

e: Also, I think most kids really do not want to be with their parents 24/7 once they hit the age of about 2, and start really making friends/social connections to kids their own age. My oldest is always happy to see me when I come get him, but also talks a mile a minute as soon as he's in the car about what he did that day in kindergarten and who he played with.

ABen fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 9, 2021

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Happy everything day everyone!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zwille posted:

Also my birthday, so I've always felt a connection to all the great and terrible things in German history, and I distinctly remember watching Mauerfall stuff on the news before my 5th birthday party (which was TMNT-themed, nice)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/thanlosir/status/1458007748843642881?s=21

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Happy Birthday, Failed Imagineer. :cheersbird:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hell yea fröhlichen purzeltag! :derp:

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eph5E7g58

Falls sich mal wieder jemand fragt, warum wir Deutschen trinken...

Oh my god, it does not end...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Danke schön, Freunden

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Loki Kunti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eph5E7g58

Falls sich mal wieder jemand fragt, warum wir Deutschen trinken...

Oh my god, it does not end...

Wie genial! Man fiebert und gröhlt die Lieder direkt mit. Einfach nur super! :)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also my birthday, so I've always felt a connection to all the great and terrible things in German history, and I distinctly remember watching Mauerfall stuff on the news before my 5th birthday party (which was TMNT-themed, nice)

Happy birthday, Propagandhi-themed nickname haver :cheers:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Love how painfully obvious it is who the childlessfree posters itt are

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What’s a Ramminarria and what can I do to prevent it from happening again? :ohdear:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

tuo posted:

My Büro is right next to a Tagesmutter/Tagesvater. It actually broke my heart seeing parents (perfectly dressed for another day at...the bank/vorstand/whatever) park with their giant BMWs or Mercedes or Audis and drop off super small things, leave as fast as they could, and then hearing those super small things cry and shout "mamaaaaaa" for like two hours until they were exhausted from all the crying and fell to sleep.

The crying got louder the older they got, and the Tagesmutter and Tagesvater there are really cool people which I know as my neighbours since 40 years, and they do a lot to entertain the small things people drop off at their doorstep. After some time, the little things starting crying when the parents picked them up again, because they wanted to stay at the place.

Last year brought some months of Stille in that regard, but as the Tagesvater told me, they started dropping them off as soon as it was allowed even though they were working from home.

Ursula, what have you done!

e: just to add: I am not mocking the principle, I was just completely dumbfounded how young the children were that got dropped there, like WTF? And I'm also not neidisch at the cars, but it was impressive to witness the obvious pattern.

Wtf is this bullshit

Do you even have kids?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Edit: .

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 10, 2024

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Wengy posted:

Love how painfully obvious it is who the childlessfree posters itt are

Emptyquote

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I think it really depends. Good: putting your kid into daycare. They love that poo poo, learn to socialize and you get a drat minute to yourself. Bad: doing that for over 40 hours a week. I know a kid who hates daycare because he never sees his parents.

Also career and having kids can work. Some guy at my company got promoted to dept lead and immediately hosed off on parental leave, a move I can only respect.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Edit: .

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 10, 2024

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Its a miracle we don’t just birth straight into the clappe at the kid factory where every birth gets molded into a model citizen slash consumer

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

So is having your kids from 9 to 4 in a kindergarten making them "pay the bill"?

I put my kids earlier than I would have liked in the kita (6 and 9 months respectively). In most other western European countries they do it between 3-6 months (examples: France, Spain, Portugal), because the pressure of the employer is much bigger.

What do you guys want, more Hausfrauen? Because even if guys are picking up the tab more and more - average Elternzeit for fathers is up to 3 months now - you can be sure that it is the mother staying home for 2 years if you don't want """the kids to pay the bill""".

Also do you have any clue about kids at all

:yeah:

I have to interact regularily with another guy who came to mind when I read Hopper's post. He loves to to say the "kids and career don't mix" line, mostly in the context of convincing his daughter to give up her PhD to focus on childcare instead. It's of course my boomer-rear end father in law who did exactly 0 care for his children himself.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

KonvexKonkav posted:

:yeah:

I have to interact regularily with another guy who came to mind when I read Hopper's post. He loves to to say the "kids and career don't mix" line, mostly in the context of convincing his daughter to give up her PhD to focus on childcare instead. It's of course my boomer-rear end father in law who did exactly 0 care for his children himself.

From experience I can only suggest that one try really hard to at least not have twins in the middle of getting your PhD. In addition to an existing toddler. It's doable, but Jesus Christ.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There are some weird German cultural superstitions about working mothers, e.g. Rabenmütter or Schlüsselkinder. If you grew up in the 90s you probably still experienced some of it. Sometimes old people bring it up when they are sunning down.

I mean, the whole system used to be geared towards keeping women at home. Schools used to run only till 1 or 2 pm, kitas didn't exist (I think there was some weird poo poo called Kinderhort or something, but it was verpönt) and Ehegattensplitting made it financially less favorable for women to work. And that was still like that in the late 90s. Up until the late 60s women weren't even allowed to get a job without the permission of their husband. This country has some really weird hangups.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zwille posted:

That's right, it was on November 9 that a colleague and I visited the homeland again

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ABen posted:

From experience I can only suggest that one try really hard to at least not have twins in the middle of getting your PhD. In addition to an existing toddler. It's doable, but Jesus Christ.

My old supervisor gave us the advice to do it during your PhD since chances are that's the most flexible position of your career, where you're typically also not responsible for other people

(She got kids both during and after her PhD)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Again, I am not saying having kids and a job doesn't work. But you can bet your rear end loving Uschis 7 kids and being a politician was only possible because she had "the help" to take care of the kids.

Most parents I know would prefer their kids to stay home and not get infected with this bullshit but have no choice because of Schulpflicht.
The people lamenting that we can't close schools again in my experience are not Ottonormalverbraucher but rather the career sociopaths somebody else mentioned.

Also don't getme wrong, I wish it was better, and everyone had the option to rake in 6 figure salaries and have enough time to raise their kids, but the reality is different.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

There are some weird German cultural superstitions about working mothers, e.g. Rabenmütter or Schlüsselkinder. If you grew up in the 90s you probably still experienced some of it. Sometimes old people bring it up when they are sunning down.

Oh yeah, that definitely still existed in the 90s. My mom got called a Rabenmutter by her Wessi Verwandschaft for sending me to the Kita when I was 3.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

GABA ghoul posted:

Schlüsselkinder
Reading this one did hit different

I don't think I ever experienced animosity around it but yeah I for sure remember that term and would consider myself to also have been one for different parts of my Jugend. Most of the kids I grew up with or knew were too I think

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
New RKI Farbe just dropped. For Inzidenzen größer 1000.
It's black.

Dies ist fein.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Good thing Anpel wants to make a lockdown impossible. Starting to miss Groko already.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Spin And Speed posted:

It's black.

Dies ist fein.

That actually is fine because it makes the Landkreis Rottal-Inn look completely indistinguishable from Austria, which is A Good Start for the whole Bavarian problem

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Spin And Speed posted:

It's black.

Dies ist fein.

I like how things just escalate day by literally day and nothing happens. It’s worse than the first wave, maybe not by deaths but soon the hospitals will be overloaded and if something bad happens then, good luck.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It is so funny how they went "let's not look at Inzidenz anymore but Intensivbelegung because Inzidenz isn't important" thinking they could cut corners again and then Munich went from green to yellow to red on that scale in less than 5 days. But since there are only 3 stages, we won't go further than 3G at work but not im Handel, 2G in public but not in gastro, Beherbergung and at körpernahe dienstleistungen, so they basically excluded all the areas with the most contacts.

Time for the next Lockdown, only this time you have to oppose it on yourself and the majority won't.

Also Munich reported data so slow that it wasn't counted and this we had an Inzidenz of 98 on monday. SZ thought that was rubbish and recalculated it. The truth is somewhere between 180 and 250.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Trust only your masks, policy will never help you.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hopper posted:

It is so funny how they went "let's not look at Inzidenz anymore but Intensivbelegung because Inzidenz isn't important" thinking they could cut corners again and then Munich went from green to yellow to red on that scale in less than 5 days. But since there are only 3 stages, we won't go further than 3G at work but not im Handel, 2G in public but not in gastro, Beherbergung and at körpernahe dienstleistungen, so they basically excluded all the areas with the most contacts.

Time for the next Lockdown, only this time you have to oppose it on yourself and the majority won't.

Also Munich reported data so slow that it wasn't counted and this we had an Inzidenz of 98 on monday. SZ thought that was rubbish and recalculated it. The truth is somewhere between 180 and 250.

Love 2G. Would certainly have been a good idea two months ago. Here in Schnitzelland all the cashiers stopped wearing masks a few days ago since apparently they accidentally on purpose removed the mask requirements for them when they introduced the new regulations? Good work everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Spin And Speed posted:

It's black.

It gives the Union that warm feeling from past elections